The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Veterans Bracing For Lockout...not the NFL...NBA

Veterans Bracing For Lockout, Telling Other Players To Save Money

Six players who were in the NBA during the previous lockout were asked by Fanhouse their opinion on whether they are expecting another one for the 2011-12 season.

Brad Miller, Steve Nash, Grant Hill and Chauncey Billups believe there most likely will be a lockout in 2011.

"It's very, very possible there's going to be a lockout,'' said Billups. "The only thing I tell guys is, 'Save your money so you'll be able to withstand however long it is.'''

However, due to the faltering economy, Hill sees the owners being even more unified than they were during the previous work stoppage.

"From everything I've been hearing from the players association, it looks like there's a pretty good chance (another lockout) will happen,'' said Hill, a five-year man during the last one. "Looking at the owners' standpoint, I think the difference between now and then is the economy is a lot worse. We were in the booming '90s then and now most of the owners' primary source of income isn't doing quite so well... So I think as unified as the owners were then in terms of holding out until they got what they wanted, it potentially could be worse.''

While the owners look to be more unified, Hill wondered if the same can be said about the players. One of the player victories in 1998-99 was gaining the mid-level exception, which resulted in a good number of veterans going from making minimum salaries of less than $1 million to eventually getting deals for around $5 million annually.

"From the players' standpoint, you had a lot more guys in '98, it was kind of the haves and the have nots,'' Hill said. "You had guys who had big contracts and those who were with the lower class in the world of NBA salaries. So a lot of guys had been journeyman who played for 10 years, and it was more the feeling, 'Let's take over the middle tier.' Now, you have maybe an era of (players) who never went through making minimum wage. It's all relative, but you have guys who all they know is making the middle class and doing well.

"I don't know how willing we are to fight and how prepared we are. (A possible lockout) is very real. It's not just going without a check. It kind of seems like the mindset with the players 12 years ago was, 'Let's fight for this. Let's do what we can.' It's almost now that we aren't aware what we're about to get ourselves into.''
--------------

Wow... so not only is the chance of no NFL in 2011, we could also not have NBA...

Just insanely stupid for both sports. NHL and MLB could see a growth if both sports are locked out.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It would suck balls for them both to happen, and I do not even like basketball. Except for the playoffs.....

But as a huge NHL fan- I would love to see it as it would get the NHL its rep back and let those who do not know, just how cool Hockey actually is.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

My 2 favorite sports may be gone in 2 years. Just insane to think about.

Players and Owners are both rich, why is it so hard to get these things organized?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

It may be hard to believe, but should these lockouts happen, I'll have no choice but to watch even MORE movies.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

You act like this is a bad thing ticket prices suck. The owners are right to a point. Time rein in just a bit .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
My 2 favorite sports may be gone in 2 years. Just insane to think about.

Players and Owners are both rich, why is it so hard to get these things organized?
That is an easy question to answer.... The players rep does not want to concede an inch, even during hard times. Things are not the same world wide in this economy, something has to give, just like in the NFL.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
It may be hard to believe, but should these lockouts happen, I'll have no choice but to watch even MORE movies.
there will be a season .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
You act like this is a bad thing ticket prices suck. The owners are right to a point. Time rein in just a bit .
You don't think it will really effect ticket prices much, do you?
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

yeah the owners are really giving fans a break in tough times ... charging 1500bucks to see Floyd Little inducted. They're effing princes. The way the nfl pays draft picks v. veteran offensive linemen is a joke too, though.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Lockouts won't do $hit for ticket prices for any leagues. Which ever side wins the battle the owners will keep prices the same and a few will increase ticket,food and parking to make up for the lose of the season.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

I can't believe this is possible. I don't know what the hell I'd do with myself... I am a Broncos and Nuggets die hard
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Lockouts won't do $hit for ticket prices for any leagues. Which ever side wins the battle the owners will keep prices the same and a few will increase ticket,food and parking to make up for the lose of the season.
sad but true.

I long for the collapse of all pro sports leagues--I want the players to get paid on the basis of wins & losses only

For example: NFL winning team players make $100,000 game for those who participate in 50% or more of game snaps, $75,000 for less than 50% of game snaps or something similar, losers 50K and 37.5K---the $$$ in sports is ridiculous---I contribute to it only thru my NFL sunday ticket pkg--I buy my jerseys ($45 TOP price) from overseas websites-basically, I will not attend games or buy concessions any longer.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
Bronco Yoda

I warned everybody about this already. If that court case before the SCOTUS goes like I think its going to go, then we may well see ALL the pro sports going into lockouts. We'll see what happens here in the next few months.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Meh. I'm not one to really judge how much one is worth but pro-sports players make too much for what they do.

Baseball you could make more of a case for due to the season length and how many damn games they play... especially non-pitchers.

Even then. When you're kicking the **** out of ER doctors and the like it's kind of laughable.

Meh... actors who get their lucky break get paid too much too.

That's entertainment for you though.

Once you establish a habit of overpaying it's not simple to just turn back the clock.

Ironic though that there was once a time where sports professionals and actors got paid absolute **** for their work. Complete opposite now.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
I can't believe this is possible. I don't know what the hell I'd do with myself... I am a Broncos and Nuggets die hard
Badminton will still be going strong in 2011.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I heard on the light rail that Plummer is trying to organize a handball players' strike.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #17
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown bronco View Post
i heard on the light rail that plummer is trying to organize a handball players' strike.
Not My Handball!!!!!!!!!

You can have my soul, but don't take away my handball.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Basketball could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't give two ****s.

JMO.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Lock'em out.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote