The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #1451
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

NEW YORK -- Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson has won The Associated Press 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year award.

The versatile Woodson tied for the league lead with nine interceptions, returning three for touchdowns, and was a key to the Packers' turnaround on defense.

His role in Green Bay's performance -- second in the league in overall defense, first in interceptions (30), takeaways (40) and turnover margin (plus-24) -- earned Woodson 28 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sportswriters and broadcasters who cover the NFL.

He doubled the number of votes for New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in becoming the first Green Bay winner since Reggie White in 1998 and just the second Packer in the 36-year history of the award.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #1452
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Good for Charles Woodson....I was rooting for him to win the award.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #1453
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Meh, I thought Revis deserved it more.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #1454
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Charles Woodson: 9 INTs for 179 return yards and 3 TDs. 4 forced fumbles, and 2 sacks. 9 tackles for losses and 18 passes defended.

Darrelle Revis: 6 INTs for 121 return yards and 1 TD. 0 forced fumbles and 0 sacks. 0 tackles for losses and 31 passes defended.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #1455
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Woodson had a great year but he didn't do so good against Arizona
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #1456
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Woodson had a great year but he didn't do so good against Arizona
He gave up some plays for sure, but he also had a sweet tip and a forced fumble on Larry Fitzgerald....but I agree that Fitz got the better of him in that game.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #1457
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

that hit where he made Fitz fumble was awesome I wish we had playmakers like that
Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #1458
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I am a little biased....Charles Woodson grew up and played high school ball here in NW Ohio and then played for my Michigan Wolverines. He was an incredible running back in high school

I was glad to see him leave the Raiders....it sucked watching him play for them for years.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #1459
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

It would suck watching any player you liked play for the Raiders which is why I don't see Seymour wanting to play there next year
Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #1460
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
It would suck watching any player you liked play for the Raiders which is why I don't see Seymour wanting to play there next year
I fail to see why ANY player would want to play there next year, or any year until Al leaves this world.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #1461
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Really? Woodson had a great year as good as Champs a couple years ago and had a ton of huge INT's at crutial times.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #1462
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I can't believe what a mistake Seattle is making by hiring Pete Carroll as their new HC. They groom Mora Jr. for the job, give him one year and then fire him, and hire Pete Carrol to take over?

You'd think Seattle would give Mora Jr. one more year. After all, they did GROOM the guy as Holmgren's hand picked replacement...

How does Seattle get away with hiring Petey? Where's the Rooney rule? Where's the Rooney rule when the promoted Mora Jr. and where's the Rooney rule when they 86 Mora Jr. and grab Petey?

I don't get it. This is why Seattle sucks.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #1463
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I can't believe what a mistake Seattle is making by hiring Pete Carroll as their new HC. They groom Mora Jr. for the job, give him one year and then fire him, and hire Pete Carrol to take over?

You'd think Seattle would give Mora Jr. one more year. After all, they did GROOM the guy as Holmgren's hand picked replacement...

How does Seattle get away with hiring Petey? Where's the Rooney rule? Where's the Rooney rule when the promoted Mora Jr. and where's the Rooney rule when they 86 Mora Jr. and grab Petey?

The Rooney rule is garbage anyway. Who is to tell an owner of a coorporation/company who they can hire or have to interview. I would call up AL Sharpton or Jesse Jackson everytime just to fill the requirement. People b****ed for it now they b**** that it is hurting candidates.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #1464
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

The Rooney rule is the biggest piece of fluff ever, here is how it goes down:

Owner: We need to comply with the Rooney rule or the league will take a huge bite out of my ass.
Lackey #1: That is true, but we want Pete Carroll and he is not a minority candidate.
Lackey #2: Hey, the guy who mops the floors is black or something, isn't his name Jesus? Jesus wasn't American so he must be a minority candidate.
Owner: Great, hey you go get the mop guy.

Minutes pass....

Mop guy: Hello, Mr Blank (I am not talking about the Falcons ownership here, I am just using Blank in place of the real name of the owner of Seattle)
Owner: Hello erhmm....
Mop Guy: Jones sir, Michael Jones.
Owner: (whispering) That doesn't sound black to me, but it will have to do.
Owner: So, Michael, how do you see yourself contributing to this organization?
Mop guy: Well, I keep the floors clean and I empty the trash bins and make sure the windows and doors are locked.
Owner: Excellent, well have a good day and continue mopping those floors.

Mop guy leaves.

Owner: Well, that is that taken care of, call the league and say we interviewed an inhouse minority candidate to comply with the Rooney rule.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #1465
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I think Carroll is going to fail miserably in Seattle
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #1466
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:
I think Carroll is going to fail miserably in Seattle
As will USC and Carroll will have very full pockets.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #1467
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

5 Mil a year and lots of holes on both sides of the ball. At least he has a young talented Linebacking core to play with.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #1468
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Chris Johnson wins Offensive Player of the Year

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-of-the-year/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 13, 2010 10:45 AM ET

Chris Johnson didn't get a MVP vote, but he will take home some hardware.

Johnson was named the NFL's Offensive Player of the Year Wednesday. Johnson earned 38 1/2 votes, while Drew Brees finished a distant second with nine votes. Peyton Manning got 1 1/2 votes, and Philip Rivers earned one.

(So Manning was far more valuable than Brees, but not a better offensive player?)

"I kind of realize what I did and I feel like I had a dream season," Johnson told the Associated Press. "I didn't even get one vote at all [for MVP]. Like the season I had, it seemed like, 'What more do they want me to do?' That just felt like rookie of the year; it's a quarterback thing I guess."

Well, now Johnson has something. Even if we're not entirely sure what the award signifies.

It seems to be for best offensive player that was stuck on a bad team. Or the guy with the best stats other than the MVP. Or basically a way to give more players a taste of postseason honors.

Whatever the reason, it's hard to argue that "Every Coach's Dream" doesn't deserve all the acclaim coming his ways. No player has ever gained more yards from scrimmage in a season.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #1469
TonyR
Franchise Poster

In the probably unlikely event that Garrard were to become available, would you be interested? Do you think Josh McD would?

Weaver gives very lukewarm endorsement to Garrard
Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2010 12:10 PM ET

On the same day that Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver opted to keep coach Jack Del Rio around for at least another year, Weaver seemed to suggest that the starting quarterback will continue to be David Garrard.

We think.

"I think David Garrard can win for us," Weaver said. "We have to do some things differently there, in terms of preparation."

It's hardly the kind of glowing endorsement that suggests Garrard is the guy over the long haul. Heck, he might not even be the guy come September 2010.

Especially if Tim Tebow is available when the Jags pick in round one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nt-to-garrard/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #1470
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

League proposes immediate changes to rookie pay

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-rookie-pay/

Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2010 1:16 PM ET

In December 2008, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the current system for changing rookie pay would not change until 2011.

Apparently, there's been a calendar malfunction at 280 Park Avenue.

Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal reports that the league has proposed the implementation of a rookie wage scale for the April 2010 draft. She also reports that the NFLPA has responded with a proposal that would change the structure of the rookie deals beginning in 2010, too.

The league's proposal, per Mullen, would pay players a fixed amount based on draft slot, with a "significant" portion of the savings being distributed to retired players. The NFLPA responded Tuesday with a proposed three-year limit on rookie contracts, along with a two-year extension to the current labor deal and a commitment by the owners to match the payment to the retired players arising from the contribution flowing from the savings in rookie pay.

It's safe to assume that the league won't agree to an extension of the labor contract merely in order to cap rookie pay. The owners are poised and motivated to attempt to make major changes to the system for paying all players, and there's a sense on the management side of the table that the players are on the ropes. A request to hit the pause button for two years will do little to alter that perception.

The league apparently would like to work out a new system for paying rookies separate and apart from the broader labor deal. The union surely would prefer to resolve all issues at once.

The situation has little relevance to players currently trying to decide whether to give up any remaining college eligibility, since a change in 2010 will affect them regardless of whether they come out now or later.

But given the chance that the slowly-falling stone door won't hit the floor before April, some players might decide to try to slide under it by leaving school now.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #1471
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Patriots fire defensive coordinator

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-coordinator/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 14, 2010 4:37 PM ET

The ugly end to New England's season has cost defensive coordinator Dean Pees his job.

Shalise Manza Young broke the news on Twitter that Pees, 60, was fired Thursday.

Pees kept a very low profile as the team's defensive coordinator, although he was recently in the news for being hospitalized for shortness of breath during New England's Week Seventeen loss.

A former head coach at Kent State, Pees was with New England for six seasons, including the last four as defensive coordinator. He also coached under Nick Saban at Michigan State.

The Patriots came in fifth in scoring defense this year, but came up small in big games. Pees' defensive squads in New England didn't finish worse than eighth in scoring defense in his four seasons.

ESPN's Michael Smith suggested on Twitter that linebackers coach Matt Patricia will be a leading candidate to replace Pees. The Patriots traditionally promote from within.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #1472
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Buffalo Bills have hired former Dallas Cowboys and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey as their new coach, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #1473
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
The Buffalo Bills have hired former Dallas Cowboys and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey as their new coach, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
The Bills love retread Coaches like Shanny liked retread DL.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #1474
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I'm sure this inspires the Bills' faithful.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #1475
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

NFL | Former Lions WR charged with child molestation
Comment (0)
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:04:20 -0800

Christine Ferretti and Candice Williams, of The Detroit News, reports former NFL WR Tommie Boyd was arraigned Thursday, Jan. 21, on six charges stemming from two cases of alleged sexual misconduct. Boyd is charged with two counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of accosting children for immoral purpose. In a separate case, he is charged with two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct. If Boyd is convicted, he faces up to life in prison. Police say allegations of sexual relations date to 2007, when he was allegedly involved with a 14-year-ol Fraser (Mich.) High School student. Boyd used his position as a track coach to coerce the student into a relationship, according to police. Boyd is due in court for a preliminary exam Feb. 3.