The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #1401
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekcuf View Post
Anybody hearing how bad Larry Fitzgerald's knee injury is? It didn't look good and I'm assuming the worst. Hopefully it will be a deal where he has a MCL sprain or something and can come back in time for week 17 and the playoffs... week 17 just to shake off the rust. Hopefully not an ACL.
He came back and played in the game so I don't think it was too bad.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #1402
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Losman to sign with Raiders

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-with-raiders/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 15, 2009 7:13 PM ET

J.P. Losman has found his way back into the NFL.

Mike Florio reports that Losman and the Oakland Raiders have agreed to a deal. It's believed to be a one-year deal. Losman was in Oakland to take a physical with the team.

We're told the team was heavily influenced by Losman's play in the UFL and his development under Jim Fassel.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #1403
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
He came back and played in the game so I don't think it was too bad.
Thanks for the update.... I feel asleep, lol
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #1404
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Report: Cerrato resigns

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rrato-resigns/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2009 8:16 AM ET

Mike Holmgren's dalliance with the Browns might not be prompting the Seahawks to crap or get off the crapper.

But it's apparently forcing another team to move quickly.

ESPN 980 in Washington is reporting that Redskins executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato has resigned.

Adding credibility to the report is the fact that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder owns the station.

The move, which apparently would have happened at the end of the season, likely means that owner Daniel Snyder wants to make a run at Holmgren.

We say this with full realization of the fact that Holmgren called out the Redskins in early November for stripping coach Jim Zorn -- a former Big Show assistant -- of play-calling duties.

"That bothered me a lot," Holmgren told ESPN Radio in Chicago at the time. "Jim Zorn is one of the nice people. I'm a nice guy, but I'm not that nice. Jim Zorn is really a nice man. What they did, I did not like it at all."

But if Snyder can pin the decision on Cerrato, and if Snyder is willing to allow Zorn to continue as coach under Holmgren's supervision, maybe this arrangement can work.

Another potential attraction for Holmgren could be the presence of Sherm Lewis, his long-time offensive coordinator in Green Bay.

With two prime-time games only six days apart, it makes no sense for the Redskins to make such a dramatic change only three games before the end of the season, unless it was done specifically to give the 'Skins a seat at the Big Show's table.

UPDATE: Here's a link to ESPN 980 confirming the news. The headline? "No Red Zone Tomorrow," which refers to Cerrato's weekly radio show on the network.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #1405
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Holmgren called out the Redskins in early November for stripping coach Jim Zorn of play-calling duties.

"That bothered me a lot," Holmgren told ESPN Radio in Chicago at the time. "Jim Zorn is one of the nice people. I'm a nice guy, but I'm not that nice. Jim Zorn is really a nice man. What they did, I did not like it at all."
Wtf is he talking, "nice""?

Let the nice guy call the plays, that's his philosophy?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #1406
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Report: Redskins chasing Bruce Allen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-bruce-allen/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2009 9:17 AM ET

Wow.

On the same morning that executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato has resigned, triggering speculation that Mike Holmgren or Mike Shanahan could be taking the reins of the Redskins, Jay Glazer of FOX has dropped a bomb on us, baby.

Glazer reports that Redskins coaches were advised today that the teams is in talks with former Raiders and Buccaneers executive Bruce Allen.

Allen's father, George, was one of the most beloved coaches in franchise history not named "Joe Gibbs."

As Glazer points out, the Redskins would be required to satisfy the Rooney Rule when filling the top front-office position. In this case, either the Redskins already have quietly satisfied the requirement, or Allen would be hired for a position that does not presently require compliance with the Rooney Rule.

The arrival of Allen undoubtedly would trigger speculation that the next move would be to dump coach Jim Zorn and pursue Jon Gruden, who partnered with Allen both in Oakland and Tampa.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #1407
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Report: Redskins chasing Bruce Allen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-bruce-allen/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2009 9:17 AM ET

Wow.

On the same morning that executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato has resigned, triggering speculation that Mike Holmgren or Mike Shanahan could be taking the reins of the Redskins, Jay Glazer of FOX has dropped a bomb on us, baby.

Glazer reports that Redskins coaches were advised today that the teams is in talks with former Raiders and Buccaneers executive Bruce Allen.

Allen's father, George, was one of the most beloved coaches in franchise history not named "Joe Gibbs."

As Glazer points out, the Redskins would be required to satisfy the Rooney Rule when filling the top front-office position. In this case, either the Redskins already have quietly satisfied the requirement, or Allen would be hired for a position that does not presently require compliance with the Rooney Rule.

The arrival of Allen undoubtedly would trigger speculation that the next move would be to dump coach Jim Zorn and pursue Jon Gruden, who partnered with Allen both in Oakland and Tampa.
Gruden is not going back to coaching next year. He just re-upped his contract with ESPN and all you have to do is watch one monday night game to realize how much he enjoys being in the booth as opposed to on the field. I would put money on Gruden not returning to football next year, probably the year after, and very possibly ever.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #1408
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Did I miss it or were there any suspensions from the brawl at the end of the Giants/Eagles game?
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #1409
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Anybody growing up as a kid in Colorado in the mid 70s remembers BroncoMania. It is the reason I am as passionate about this team as I am. Even as a very young kid you understood how special it was. I believe a team can only experience that type of magic once. After that the innocence is gone. Even SB 32 wasn't the same in terms of pure mania.

Living in New Orleans now and having gone through Katrina. This City is experiencing a very similar kind of mania with the Saints. Only different. The Saints are this City and this City is the Saints. Very hard to describe unless you are here.

Read one guys view on it from ESPN. A long read....but if you like football magic, hope, faith and a love affair with a City and a Team...it is worth the time.

Saints the soul of America's city

NEW ORLEANS -- The soul of New Orleans is in a trumpet and a low-ceilinged bar. It's in the free red beans in the back. It's in the art hanging near the food that has two dogs howling at a New Orleans Saints moon. It's in the voice of Kermit Ruffins, two hours into his standing Thursday night gig at a packed club hidden in the neighborhood behind the French Quarter, the place weathered and peeling like the side of a workingman's boat.

He plays a song he wrote, "All I Want for Christmas Is the Saints in the Super Bowl," and the crowd dances and sings all the words. When he takes a break, he calls me in closer. There's something he wants to show me. He undoes his thin black tie, and the top two buttons, then pulls both his collared shirt and T-shirt down just enough so I can see. I notice the top point first, and slowly, the entire tattoo comes into view, a month old, enormous, covering his entire chest. I start laughing, and so does he. A symbol of the city adorned with a symbol of the city. Kermit Ruffins has gotten an enormous fleur-de-lis, the Saints' helmet logo, tattooed on his chest.

"Only in New Orleans," he says, winking. "I'm killing 'em when I take off my shirt at the beach. Especially at the Super Bowl."

Hello, madness

These are strange and beautiful days in New Orleans, and they must be seen to be believed. I've visited the city dozens of times since I was a boy, lived and worked there for a spell and last week, when I went down to experience the mania over the Saints' undefeated season firsthand, I found myself not sure whether every street was a dream. Some moments made me laugh, and others were so full of a desperate love that I had tears in my eyes.

Where do you even begin? Maybe you describe the couture shops that have replaced the latest fashions on the storefront mannequins with Saints T-shirts? Maybe you tell how vampire novelist and native New Orleanian Anne Rice, never much of a football fan and now living on the West Coast, recently ordered a Drew Brees jersey with "Anne" on the back. Maybe you use numbers: 84 percent of the televisions in town were tuned to the recent Monday night game against the Patriots. Maybe you use bizarre trends, such as an NOPD cop telling me the 911 calls almost stop when the Saints play and there's been only one murder during a game this year.

I like this best, here, at a Christmas party for children at one of the columned and terraced battleships on tree-lined St. Charles Avenue. Everyone calls the home The Wedding Cake House, and it's owned by a prominent local attorney whose family is close to Rita Benson LeBlanc, the owner and executive vice president of the football franchise. The kids are all crowded around Santa Claus until the arrival of Gumbo, the beloved St. Bernard-costumed mascot of the Saints. The kids flock to Gumbo, and there are screams and hugs and photos and, in the madness, a few of the adults look over to see Santa, totally alone and ignored, trying to figure out what to do.

Eventually, they said, he just left.

These are strange and beautiful days, and there is something being created right now, something that goes well beyond the success of a football team. One night, three of us roll through the streets of downtown New Orleans. LeBlanc is driving her dark Mercedes. In the back seat is the head of the federal government's Gulf Coast Rebuilding team. They are talking about the Saints' perfect season and the things athletic success can realistically mean to a town. We pass reopened hotels and fixed houses, the blue tarps that doubled for roofs for the past four years gone. We pass throngs of tourists who have returned, and local restaurants that are packed, and out there in the night, implicit in everything that is of this place, there is a defiant beating heart.

Yes, there is something happening in New Orleans, a strange and beautiful story not so much about a town that still needs distraction from a hurricane but about a professional sports team changing the nature of the relationship between franchise and fan. "It's the entire city," LeBlanc says as we drive. "Everybody feels it. It's not because we're selling it. Faith or fate, whatever you believe in, you cannot watch this football team and not have faith."

the rest of the long article is here....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...tread14/Saints
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #1410
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Lawrence Phillips gets 31 years

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gets-31-years/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 6:13 PM ET

Former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips, one of the biggest top-ten first-round busts of all time, has been sentenced to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend, and for driving his car into three teens, according to the Associated Press.

The incidents occurred in 2005.

The Rams made Phillips the sixth overall pick in the 1996 draft, eight spots before Eddie George was selected by the Titans.

The quick collapse of Phillips' career makes the franchise's ability to win a Super Bowl only three years later even more amazing.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #1411
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Report: Lovie Smith is safe

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...smith-is-safe/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 10:15 PM ET

Despite a 5-8 record and a third straight season of missed playoffs in a year of expectations much higher than that, Bears coach Lovie Smith will return in 2010, according to John Mullin of CSN Chicago. (Thanks for the tip, BlogdownChicagoBears.com.)

Citing "two highly placed individuals within the organization," Mullin explains that there will not be a change at the top of the organization, due in part to concerns regarding a work stoppage in 2011.

Mullin also explains that the team will likely be making no announcements in this regard, and that the proof will flow from the fact that Smith isn't fired when the season ends.

The report says nothing about the status of offensive coordinator Ron Turner. If he isn't fired, we recommend buying stock in any companies that sell pitchforks and/or torches in the greater Chicago area.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #1412
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Lawrence Phillips gets 31 years

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gets-31-years/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 6:13 PM ET

Former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips, one of the biggest top-ten first-round busts of all time, has been sentenced to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend, and for driving his car into three teens, according to the Associated Press.

The incidents occurred in 2005.

The Rams made Phillips the sixth overall pick in the 1996 draft, eight spots before Eddie George was selected by the Titans.

The quick collapse of Phillips' career makes the franchise's ability to win a Super Bowl only three years later even more amazing.
What a fuggin Douche
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #1413
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4756753

The Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles both moved back the start time of their Sunday home games from 1 p.m. ET to 4:15 p.m. ET, in order to give their cities time to deal with snow removal.

The Eagles are hosting the San Francisco 49ers, who arrived in Philadelphia Friday night.

The storm, a classic Nor'easter moving up the Atlantic coast, was expected to dump a foot of snow or more from the mid-Atlantic states to New England through early Sunday morning. It pushed back or postponed college sports events and complicated travel plans for teams and fans alike.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #1414
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Going to be a fun Sunday of watching football with all these potential snow games.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #1415
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Peyton Manning is only 33 years old and he will go over 50,000 yards passing for his career next week.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #1416
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Childress tried to take Favre out in third quarter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...third-quarter/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 21, 2009 12:21 AM ET

As we prepare to head home after this long football Sunday, we'll leave you with one aftershock from Minnesota's embarrassing blowout loss to the Panthers.

Vikings coach Brad Childress attempted to take Brett Favre out of Sunday's game in the third quarter. When the Vikings were leading 7-6. Huh?

As anyone who watched the game knows, Favre stayed in throughout. And according to the Vikings beat writers, Favre was "not a happy camper" when he spoke about the development.

Childress did appear to successfully bench two other veterans: left tackle Bryant McKinnie and cornerback Antoine Winfield.

We have a feeling our bossman Mr. Florio will have a few thoughts on this development in the morning.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #1417
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Mike Holmgren joins the Browns

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ns-the-browns/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2009 6:30 PM ET

Former Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren was expected to give the Browns an answer on Monday regarding whether he'd accept an employment off from the team.

He has given them an answer.

And the answer is yes.

Holmgren has agreed to become President of the team. Mike Keenan, who previously occupied that role, will become the team's CFO.

"We are pleased to announce that Mike Holmgren has agreed to join the Cleveland Browns," owner Randy Lerner in a statement released by the team. "We will spend the rest of the week finalizing the details of the agreement and will make a formal announcement next week, at which time we will make him available to the media."

We're not sure what Lerner envisions by way of a "formal announcement" next week, given that the news of Holmgren's arrival has been, you know, formally announced by the team.

Maybe there will be a party, complete with confetti and cake and a special appearance by Eric the Clown.

Which, of course, that might be the current head coach's trade name come 2010.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #1418
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Chiefs drop Mark Bradley

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-mark-bradley/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 22, 2009 5:43 PM ET

More than half the league is 12 days away from the offseason, so teams are begin to prepare their rosters for the future.

And the Chiefs have decided their future doesn't include wide receiver Mark Bradley.

Kansas City dumped the former second-round pick of the Bears Tuesday, and signed wideout Quinten Lawrence. Bradley revived his career last year late in the season, but continually struggled with mental mistakes in 2009. He was fourth on the team with 320 receiving yards.

The Chiefs also placed tight end Brad Cottam on injured reserve. Cottam suffered a cracked cervical vertebra, according to the team. No spinal cord damage was discovered.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #1419
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Chiefs drop Mark Bradley

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 22, 2009 5:43 PM ET

More than half the league is 12 days away from the offseason, so teams are begin to prepare their rosters for the future.

And the Chiefs have decided their future doesn't include wide receiver Mark Bradley.

Kansas City dumped the former second-round pick of the Bears Tuesday, and signed wideout Quinten Lawrence. Bradley revived his career last year late in the season, but continually struggled with mental mistakes in 2009. He was fourth on the team with 320 receiving yards.

The Chiefs also placed tight end Brad Cottam on injured reserve. Cottam suffered a cracked cervical vertebra, according to the team. No spinal cord damage was discovered.
That is not the 1st drop by KFC this year.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #1420
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

With the No. 1 seed in the NFC all sewn up, the New Orleans Saints will rest Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees and will start Mark Brunell in Sunday's regular season finale against the Carolina Panthers, according to a report in the Times-Picayune on Friday.

That's a blast from the past....Mark Brunell.

Carbon date him for age verification.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:37 AM   #1421
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
With the No. 1 seed in the NFC all sewn up, the New Orleans Saints will rest Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees and will start Mark Brunell in Sunday's regular season finale against the Carolina Panthers, according to a report in the Times-Picayune on Friday.

That's a blast from the past....Mark Brunell.

Carbon date him for age verification.

He and Methusala went to school together.

True story.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #1422
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Chiefs drop Mark Bradley

Kansas City dumped the former second-round pick of the Bears Tuesday, and signed wideout Quinten Lawrence. Bradley revived his career last year late in the season, but continually struggled with mental mistakes in 2009. He was fourth on the team with 320 receiving yards..
The Bears should pick him up again. His penchant for dropping passing wouldn't be a problem since Jay throws to the other team 50% of the time anyway.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #1423
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Houston Texans: John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports there are four candidates for the offensive coordinator position: Titans offensive line coach Mike Munchak, Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison, Falcons quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave and former Chiefs offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #1424
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

NFL Stats for the 2009 Season:

Passing Leaders:

10 QBs with over 4,000 yards and 4 with 30+ TDs passing

Passing Yards:

1: Matt Schaub 4770 yards
2: Peyton Manning 4500 yards
3: Tony Romo 4483 yards
4: Aaron Rodgers 4434 yards
5: Tom Brady 4398 yards
6: Drew Brees 4388 yards
7: Ben Roethlisberger 4328 yards
8: Philip Rivers 4254 yards
9: Brett Favre 4202 yards
10: Eli Manning 4021 yards

Passing TDs:

1: Drew Brees 34 TDs
2: Brett Favre 33 TDs
Peyton Manning 33 TDs
4: Aaron Rodgers 30 TDs
5: Matt Schaub 29 TDs
6: Tom Brady 28 TDs
Philip Rivers 28 TDs
8: Jay Cutler 27 TDs
Eli Manning 27 TDs
10: Kurt Warner 26 TDs
Tony Romo 26 TDs
Ben Roethlisberger 26 TDs
Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #1425
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Running Backs

15 RBs with 1000+ yards rushing. 7 with 1200+ yards rushing. 12 RBs with 10+ rushing TDs on the year.

Rushing Yards:

1: Chris Johnson 2006 yards
2: Steven Jackson 1416 yards
3: Thomas Jones 1402 yards
4: Maurice Jones-Drew 1391 yards
5: Adrian Peterson 1383 yards
6: Ray Rice 1339 yards
7: Ryan Grant 1253 yards
8: Cedric Benson 1251 yards
9: Jonathan Stewart 1133 yards
10: Ricky Williams 1121 yards
11: Frank Gore 1120 yards