The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Breaking News: Shanahan officially to retire!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4664533

NEW YORK -- Brendan Shanahan is retiring from the NHL after 21 seasons and an almost certain Hall of Fame career.

The 40-year-old forward announced Tuesday that he wouldn't play again. After going through training camp with the New Jersey Devils, the team he spent his final season with, he and the club mutually parted unexpectedly shortly before opening night of the season.

The "Power" In Power Forward
Brendan Shanahan signs off as the second-leading goal scorer among left wingers and one of only three to score 500 goals and amass 2,000 penalty minutes. Hockey's 500 goal/1,500 penalty minutes club (Hall of Famers in bold):

"I would like to thank my family and all of the friends who have helped me achieve and maintain my childhood dream of playing in the National Hockey League," Shanahan said in a statement released by the NHL. "While I always dreamed of playing in the NHL, I can't honestly say that I would have ever imagined that I'd be this fortunate and blessed. I would like to sincerely thank everyone who has helped me fulfill this dream."

Shanahan, who scored 656 career goals, decided to leave the Devils in October one day after he was told there was no spot for him on New Jersey's top three lines.

He has not played this season.

Shanahan ranks 11th on the league's career goals list and is the only player with 600 goals and 2,000 penalty minutes. The eight-time All-Star also played for St. Louis, Hartford, Detroit and the New York Rangers. He won three Stanley Cup titles with Detroit.

"He's the best," said Rangers forward Sean Avery, a teammate of Shanahan's with New York and Detroit.

Its been a long week!
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Lame
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Good i hate him.

I mean, i respect him as a player, as he was a total stud. But i hate the redwings and he included even if he is not with them anymore.

He is def a HOF player though,imo.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Job well done, Shanny. He was the missing piece of the puzzle that got the Wings over the hump and ended decades of futility. Getting rid of Coffey and Primeau was good enough, but getting Shanahan in return was pure gold. Dude got in a fight on his first shift as a Red Wing, endearing himself to Motown then and there. Seems like a fun dude to have beers with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetl55p9LQY

Last edited by Smiling Assassin27; 11-18-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

I am pretty sure Shanny will be coaching the Cowboys or the Bears next season.....
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote