The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #3801
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Wow!

Youtube is quite the source for amazing, undiscovered talent these days...

That is ****ing unbelievable!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #3802
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac
 
crawdad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 5,126

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
I may get laughed out of this thread, but my wife left an Allison Krauss & Union Station CD in the car last night. I had a long drive this morning and left it in the player. Never been a huge country fan, especially bluegrass, but man...that's some good stuff. She might have the best female voice I've ever heard ...and the musicianship of that band is impressive. Especially the dude that plays steel guitar or dobro or whatever that is.
Allison Krauss is very good. The stuff they call country nowadays is a lot more than country. Listen to Martina McBride and Patty Loveless, those girls can sing, just to mention a few.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #3803
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac
 
crawdad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 5,126

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post

I'm touching base with Yo La Tengo again Monday night...looking forward to it.
I really liked this H, good tune and good music.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #3804
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
I really liked this H, good tune and good music.
Very cool Craw. Anytime I can turn someone onto some new music (new to them anyways), it totally makes my day.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #3805
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Broke out the old Chocolate Watchband today....thank God for the Nuggets collections of the 80's and beyond.



Dig it.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #3806
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That is ****ing unbelievable!
That really is amazing! The talent some people have is great to experience.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #3807
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Broke out the old Chocolate Watchband today....thank God for the Nuggets collections of the 80's and beyond.



Dig it.
Wow! That's very good also, thanks for sharing Hogan11.

I need to get some of that music in my collection. Never heard of them before and the lead singer sounds like Mick Jagger. Again, thanks.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #3808
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
Wow! That's very good also, thanks for sharing Hogan11.

I need to get some of that music in my collection. Never heard of them before and the lead singer sounds like Mick Jagger. Again, thanks.
Oh yeah. I was introduced to them (and many others) thru the Nuggets collections as I mentioned. Mostly one hit wonders and other unknowns from the mid-60's garage scene up to 68 (I think). VERY cool stuff if you're into that whole "psychotic reaction" type stuff.

The Watchband albums each are good to fair on their own, but if you go with a "Best Of", you'll get a very solid collection of stuff like the above track. Very Stones influenced, sloppy and intense.

Here, dig another track....


Last edited by Hogan11; 10-26-2009 at 01:27 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #3809
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,920
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #3810
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default



Julian Casablancas - Phrazes for the Young
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #3811
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post


Julian Casablancas - Phrazes for the Young
So Rusty, is this a departure for him or is it rooted in the Stokes sound?

I thought the band had broken up, but I just read the other day they're heading back into the studio. Hope the results are better than the Earth album was.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #3812
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Everyone's tryin' to be Vic Wooten.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #3813
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Whats the Weather like?
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #3814
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Mid-60's underground classics from The Swamp Rats





Unhinged, wild & primal......I especially love the drumming on "Psycho"
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #3815
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
Everyone's tryin' to be Vic Wooten.
That's ****ing smoking!

Vic is one talented dude who has really worked his ass off to attain that level of proficiency on his instrument.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #3816
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,920
Default

SRV, Hiram Bullock, (RIP) et al, on "Night Music" - one of the greatest music variety TV shows of all time (of course it couldn't last.)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 AM   #3817
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,920
Default

Al Green kicking much ass...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #3818
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
That's ****ing smoking!

Vic is one talented dude who has really worked his ass off to attain that level of proficiency on his instrument.
Vic has literally been playing the thunderspiel since he was 2. Yes. 2 years old.

There is nobody like him on the instrument. He has it all.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #3819
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Al Green kicking much ass...

Not even the cheesy 80's synth & congas can keep Reverend Al down, truly one of the last great Soulmen of the pre-Disco era.

Night Music was a great program. David Sandborn's pomposity used to grate on me a bit, but thankfully Jools Holland made up for it in spades. Jools carries on the tradition of this great program over in the UK as Later.. With Jools Holland where every show features up to seven different bands, none from the same style/genre, all set up in a circle performing for each other and a small TV audience. It's shown on the Ovation network at least one a week, often in a marathon and it's a must see.

The glaring difference between the two programs is Night Music often paired musicians together that never would've worked together under normal circumstances (the results varied, but made for some interesting moments nonetheless) regrettably that doesn't happen on the Later show.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #3820
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Oh yeah. I was introduced to them (and many others) thru the Nuggets collections as I mentioned. Mostly one hit wonders and other unknowns from the mid-60's garage scene up to 68 (I think). VERY cool stuff if you're into that whole "psychotic reaction" type stuff.

The Watchband albums each are good to fair on their own, but if you go with a "Best Of", you'll get a very solid collection of stuff like the above track. Very Stones influenced, sloppy and intense.

Here, dig another track....

That's good also, I was near a FYE this afternoon and was going to look for their CD but I couldn't remember the Chocolate Watchband name. Maybe I'll try itunes. Very Rolling Stones sounding.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #3821
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
That's good also, I was near a FYE this afternoon and was going to look for their CD but I couldn't remember the Chocolate Watchband name. Maybe I'll try itunes. Very Rolling Stones sounding.
Amazon is your best bet. I just checked it out and there's a "Best Of" titled Forty Four that's available for about $5.99 that's a very good introduction. No sense in paying the mega bucks for an out of print item if you're not a collector.

http://www.amazon.com/Forty-Four-Cho...mus_ep_dpi_lnk

Might as well check out another track then, what the hell.


Hope this all helps
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #3822
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Not even the cheesy 80's synth & congas...
Actually, the synths are pretty understated on the track - they're just being used to create a bed for the other instruments and to add a little icing. Not really prominent enough for the average listener to notice them much.

And I don't think I've ever heard the word "cheesy" applied to congas (whose presence in music, BTW, neither began nor ended with the 80s) before (and especially not when a world-class cat like Don Alias is playing them.)

Quick! Google his credits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Night Music was a great program. David Sandborn's pomposity used to grate on me a bit, but thankfully Jools Holland made up for it in spades.
Sanborn came across as himself, i.e., a serious, world-class/world renowned musician who was actually able to say something intelligent about the music (as opposed to mere taste-making/fashion policing re: the use of synths, etc.) I suppose that, by definition, all of the above translates to "pompous" in your world.

Holland, while not a bad pianist himself, was more about the show biz razzmatazz and the usual peripheral crap on NM. Just about every serious musician and/or listener I've encountered who was actually old enough to stay up late enough to watch the show when it was in production feels "Night Music" was better after Holland's departure.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #3823
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,920
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #3824
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Actually, the synths are pretty understated on the track - they're just being used to create a bed for the other instruments and to add a little icing. Not really prominent enough for the average listener to notice them much.

And I don't think I've ever heard the word "cheesy" applied to congas (whose presence in music, BTW, neither began nor ended with the 80s) before (and especially not when a world-class cat like Don Alias is playing them.)

Quick! Google his credits! .
No need to, because once again you're trying to sidetrack what I was talking about. The instruments in question on that track are not only very noticable but they're sounding the same as most production jobs of the 80's....meaning they haven't aged well at all, sound horribly dated today and yes....they are cheesy.

Quote:
Sanborn came across as himself, i.e., a serious, world-class/world renowned musician who was actually able to say something intelligent about the music (as opposed to mere taste-making/fashion policing re: the use of synths, etc.) I suppose that, by definition, all of the above translates to "pompous" in your world.

Holland, while not a bad pianist himself, was more about the show biz razzmatazz and the usual peripheral crap on NM. Just about every serious musician and/or listener I've encountered who was actually old enough to stay up late enough to watch the show when it was in production feels "Night Music" was better after Holland's departure.
Of course they do and lemme guess as to why...it was because Holland came from Squeeze...a new wave pop band that's just well below the serious sideman standard of the highbrow Sanborn, right?? Wow, whadda surprise that is. Sanborn was an insufferable pompous ass at times, much like yourself, so it's little wonder you'd feel that way.

Last edited by Hogan11; 11-01-2009 at 07:41 AM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #3825
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Let's get some real rock and roll back on the page shall we?



The Stooges are always good for gameday.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Denver Broncos