The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Default Lucid dreaming, anyone?

Has anyone tried this? For those that don't know, it's the ability to become lucid while you're dreaming (duh), thus being able to go wherever you want and do whatever you want. This can be very difficult for some people but once you get the hang of it you can do it pretty much at will.

There are a number of different techniques to achieve lucidity, some of them require to fall asleep while actually being conscious (I've never been able to do this) and in others you'll need to recognize your "dream signs" or do "reality checks" to see if you are dreaming or not. Lucid dreams are usually very vivid so it really feels like real life. (except for all the non-sense that comes with dreaming)

I'm no expert but I've had a number of lucid dreams after practicing for a week and it was fun as hell. The first few times I actually got too excited after becoming lucid and woke up, but after that I had some dreams were some crazy things happened and I said to myself: "Ok, this is BS, I must be dreaming" and voila, suddenly it became really vivid, almost like real life and I could do whatever I wanted... didn't last long though, I woke up trying to take off and fly.

Maybe some of you have experienced what is called Sleep Paralysis, where you suddenly wake up and can't move your body. This can actually be pretty scary as some people see crazy things and hear screams and what not in this stage. Not being able to move is pretty scary in itself. This is a normal thing though, and we ALL go through this Sleep Paralysis stage when we're sleeping, as our mind shuts down our body to prevent us from falling out of our bed or start running while dreaming. SP is used to become lucid in a technique called WILD (Wake Initiated Lucid Dreaming), where the person will consciously enter the SP stage and enter a dream from there.

Ok I know this may sound really crazy if you never heard of lucid dreaming before but it's not. If you're interested in this subject, check out www.dreamviews.com. There's a very cool forum there and a lot of FAQs with different techniques to induce lucid dreaming.

I'd like to hear from you guys, I'm sure someone must've had a lucid dream at some point in life.

Last edited by BlaK-Argentina; 10-23-2009 at 03:37 PM..
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Popps
It's so easy

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I've had it happen one time in the middle of a dream where I was flying. I realize, "wait a minute, I can't fly - I must be dreaming." And then decided that I liked flying, and went with it.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I just hate waking up from some lucid dreams...you know the ones.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

As much as I like the idea of being able to take it to a pre Hepatitis Pamela Anderson on a nightly basis, that little blurb on sleep paralysis scared the bejesus out of me
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Ok I get it, you're making fun of me. You guys need to watch some more Discovery Channel.
I guess I'm the only one that as a kid thought it would be cool to dream about whatever I wanted to (like in the Jetsons were they would program the kids' dreams) and later found out that it is actually possible?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
As much as I like the idea of being able to take it to a pre Hepatitis Pamela Anderson on a nightly basis, that little blurb on sleep paralysis scared the bejesus out of me
You don't need to go through that necessarily to dream lucidly. But yes, it happened to me before I researched it and found out what it was and it scared the hell out of me.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

heh. I used up all my frequent flyer miles for now....

watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Watch the film, Waking Life. I think it's Richard Linklater who directed it. A cool flick on lucid dreaming.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

I used to do it all the time until a couple of years ago. For some reason my mind, every time I was about to do I wanted to in the dream would wake me up. So then I would think that I would be awake while I was really still dreaming. After this happened a couple of times, I started realizing in my dream that I wasn't really awake, but then my dream would wake me up again, but I would still be in another dream.

For some reason i don't think my mind wants me to control my dreams.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Thart's because when you realize you're lucid dreaming, you start taking control. Better if you just watch and observe, maintaining awareness.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

I was able to lucid dream taking almost complete control all my life until about 25.

It is muuuuch funner than just observing... But I see what you are saying
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

In Castenada's books he always says to find your feet first.

I went from a brain dead state to visions for 2 months. They had to chill me to bring me back.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Wow, so there is a name for waking up and thinking you are having a seizure? I figured it was something normal but, yes, it IS scary the first couple times.

Regarding the lucid dreams, this reminds me of dosing LSD. Anything you want to see can be seen. Even better, you are awake.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #16
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I like Noory better myself.

As far as dreams go, I never put much stock in them.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #18
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Iv had a few instances where I realized I was dreaming and then was able to control what was going on

For example I think my last one I was being chased by someone or something that wanted to kill me. Once I realized I was dreaming I stopped running and because I didnt want to do that anymore the person or thing chasing me just kinda dissapeared

Kinda hard to explain but there have been a few instances where I was able to tell it was a dream and then do things I otherwise might not of been able to
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Iv had a few instances where I realized I was dreaming and then was able to control what was going on

For example I think my last one I was being chased by someone or something that wanted to kill me. Once I realized I was dreaming I stopped running and because I didnt want to do that anymore the person or thing chasing me just kinda dissapeared

Kinda hard to explain but there have been a few instances where I was able to tell it was a dream and then do things I otherwise might not of been able to
That EXACT thing happened to me. That was my last lucid dream. Though I know who was chasing me: Ledger's Joker.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

I never thought I'd see a lucid dreaming thread on this forum! Nice! Some people can do it naturally but others (like me) have to train themselves, and it's requires some dedication. It's a good idea to keep a dream journal... this is the best way to increase dream recall which is important for becoming familiar with dreams and recognizing dream signs.

Also as Blak said, doing reality checks, which is essentially asking yourself (and taking the question seriously) if you are dreaming, throughout the day. That might seem silly but if you don't do it while you are awake, you are unlikely to do it when you are dreaming. Also if you don't actually to some genuine analysis and accept that you are not dreaming immediately, you may wind up doing that when you are dreaming. Most people when they are dreaming think they are awake, so the reality checks are about training yourself to figure out you are dreaming when you are dreaming.

There are actually some great benefits to lucid dreaming. As others have said, you can immediately escape nightmares... often anxieties manifest themselves in dreams and you can actually ease these anxieties in life through lucid dreaming practice. You'd be surprised how much a dream can affect you when you're awake even if you don't remember them.

Also if you learn dream control, your dreams can be a virtual reality like experience where you can have vivid life like sex with super models, fly over majestic landscapes, win the Super Bowl for the Broncos... whatever.

A good book is "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen Laberge if you want to train yourself to lucid dream. I also second the recommendation of "Waking Life"... awesome flick.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I know when I am dreaming...so maybe it says something that I dont try to control it.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #22
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Watch the film, Waking Life. I think it's Richard Linklater who directed it. A cool flick on lucid dreaming.
The film "Abre Los Ojos" (later remade as Vanilla Sky) got into that too, except much more of a sci-fi angle. Didn't know it was this accessible to so many people though. Fascinating.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
I never thought I'd see a lucid dreaming thread on this forum! Nice! Some people can do it naturally but others (like me) have to train themselves, and it's requires some dedication. It's a good idea to keep a dream journal... this is the best way to increase dream recall which is important for becoming familiar with dreams and recognizing dream signs.

Also as Blak said, doing reality checks, which is essentially asking yourself (and taking the question seriously) if you are dreaming, throughout the day. That might seem silly but if you don't do it while you are awake, you are unlikely to do it when you are dreaming. Also if you don't actually to some genuine analysis and accept that you are not dreaming immediately, you may wind up doing that when you are dreaming. Most people when they are dreaming think they are awake, so the reality checks are about training yourself to figure out you are dreaming when you are dreaming.

There are actually some great benefits to lucid dreaming. As others have said, you can immediately escape nightmares... often anxieties manifest themselves in dreams and you can actually ease these anxieties in life through lucid dreaming practice. You'd be surprised how much a dream can affect you when you're awake even if you don't remember them.

Also if you learn dream control, your dreams can be a virtual reality like experience where you can have vivid life like sex with super models, fly over majestic landscapes, win the Super Bowl for the Broncos... whatever.

A good book is "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen Laberge if you want to train yourself to lucid dream. I also second the recommendation of "Waking Life"... awesome flick.
Nice post! I haven't practiced my english much lately so I was having a bit of trouble explaining some things but you nailed it!

I had my first lucid dream thanks to reality checking; I would look at my hands and make sure they looked normal, as they look weird in dreams and usually have more fingers. I tried the dream journal and after just a couple of days I could remember 4 or 5 dreams. Now I gave it up and I'm having a tough time remembering any. I want to get back to lucid dreaming though, it's fun as hell.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #24
Cleo McDowell
underrated.

http://thisman.org/

crazy stuff.
Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I like Noory better myself.

As far as dreams go, I never put much stock in them.

Blasphemer. Noory made me leave the program. He couldn't match the master of the paranormal interview.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote