The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #76
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McOSKIE!!! View Post
Seems to me that the Denver Broncos ran the ball pretty damn well for about 15 weeks last year with Cutler at QB. I don't think the running woes have much to do with Jay Cutler. Rather the OL not blocking may play a role, but I'm not expecting you to understand that.
Of course it has to do with the OL blocking. My point is that all the nuthuggers kept telling us how Jay was going to make the Bears so much better, but he really hasn't. The threat of his arm didn't improve the running game like folks claimed it would; it got worse. I'm not saying that's his fault, just pointing out that Jay is NOT in the franchise QB category of guy who makes the players and team aroun d him better.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #77
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

NFCN is gonna be a fun division to watch. Vikes should walk away with the division and the packers and bears are gonna be clawing for a wild card. If the bearz can find their defense and get Forte running again, no reason why they can't compete for a playoff spot.

Nobody is talking about the inconsistent packers play. Hell, they are great on week, crappy the next too. Cutler and Rogers is gonna be a fun rivalry to watch for the next few years...
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #78
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
NFCN is gonna be a fun division to watch. Vikes should walk away with the division and the packers and bears are gonna be clawing for a wild card. If the bearz can find their defense and get Forte running again, no reason why they can't compete for a playoff spot.

Nobody is talking about the inconsistent packers play. Hell, they are great on week, crappy the next too. Cutler and Rogers is gonna be a fun rivalry to watch for the next few years...
If the Packers had an offensive line, I don't think it'd be that close of a race. If Rogers had any time he'd be doing very well.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #79
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
But why can't the Bears run the ball? You guys told us that Cutler's mere presence would vault Chicago's rush offense into the stratosphere. Instead, they are worse.
Very good question...
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #80
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Of course it has to do with the OL blocking. My point is that all the nuthuggers kept telling us how Jay was going to make the Bears so much better, but he really hasn't. The threat of his arm didn't improve the running game like folks claimed it would; it got worse. I'm not saying that's his fault, just pointing out that Jay is NOT in the franchise QB category of guy who makes the players and team aroun d him better.
Cutler led the Bears in rushing and passing last night!. This years Bears O line is so dreadful that not even Kyle Orton would have a winning record at this stage had he been the Bears Qb for the 09 season. Its not so much that the threat of Jays Arm didn't improve the running game as much as it is the Bears O line just isn't getting it done thus far. No excuse for his first half interceptions, however you can't have a Franchise QB perform up to expectations if the O line isn't getting it done.

But you must admit, Cutler had the Bears in position to tie the game up inside the Red Zone, however without any type of running attack to speak of, ATL's defense just had to play and cheat on the pass.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #81
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
C
But you must admit, Cutler had the Bears in position to tie the game .
I've heard this a few times, now.

Apparently... to qualify for "franchise quarterback" status, the new criteria is that at some point in a game, you must stop throwing interceptions and get your team close enough to tie. Not winning... not playing mistake-free, but just simply having one drive with enough "rocket-armed" throws to make ESPN's highlights later that night.

So, play like **** most of the game... throw INTs, but as long as you almost tie at some point.... you're "franchise."
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #82
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Very good question...
They managed to run the ball last year and the line should be the same or slightly better.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #83
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

The Bears have essentially the same problem that the Chiefs have, in that their line is so horrible that it just doesn't make sense to employ a highly compenstated quarterback. This really rings true with Cutler, because he makes a couple bad decisions per game which actually make the team much worse off. Sure, Hanie may not have the big arm, but as long as he didn't make huge mistakes like Cutler does they might actually win more games with him starting, and at a much cheaper price.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #84
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Yeah, the Jay nuthuggers kept telling us to watch Jay now that he has a defense and a quality RB (who will get better because of Jay).
They had it all figured out, didn't they?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #85
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

You guys are just so scornful. Let it go. Cutler didn't fumble the ball on the goal line. Cutler also gave Clark a pretty accurate throw on 4th down which Clark acted like he didn't even see and just stuck his elbow out at it.

The bears just aren't a cohesive unit on offense right now. Yeah, Cutler chose the wrong game to throw picks but it's not like he hindered the team. Not many people in the league make some of the 3rd down throws he made on those last two drives.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #86
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
You guys are just so scornful. Let it go. Cutler didn't fumble the ball on the goal line. Cutler also gave Clark a pretty accurate throw on 4th down which Clark acted like he didn't even see and just stuck his elbow out at it.

The bears just aren't a cohesive unit on offense right now. Yeah, Cutler chose the wrong game to throw picks but it's not like he hindered the team. Not many people in the league make some of the 3rd down throws he made on those last two drives.
It is true that Cutler has a rare ability to almost bring his team back from the holes he puts them in.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #87
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Apparently... to qualify for "franchise quarterback" status, the new criteria is that at some point in a game, you must stop throwing interceptions and get your team close enough to tie. Not winning... not playing mistake-free, but just simply having one drive with enough "rocket-armed" throws to make ESPN's highlights later that night.

So, play like **** most of the game... throw INTs, but as long as you almost tie at some point.... you're "franchise."
So would you consider Orton a Franchise Qb since he has played error free Football thus far? Afterall he's had several game winning drives over the last few weeks...etc and he's winning.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #88
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
So would you consider Orton a Franchise Qb since he has played error free Football thus far? Afterall he's had several game winning drives over the last few weeks...etc and he's winning.
No... just a winner.

Good enough for me.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #89
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

While only putting up 14 pts in the process.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #90
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpac1001 View Post
It is true that Cutler has a rare ability to almost bring his team back from the holes he puts them in.
Thats the mark of a winning QB....isn't it? If anything, Cutler dug himself out of hole from first half interceptions. Point is, Jay had the the Bears in position to tie the game up. What more can you ask for?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #91
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #92
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Thats the mark of a winning QB....isn't it? If anything, Cutler dug himself out of hole from first half interceptions. Point is, Jay had the the Bears in position to tie the game up. What more can you ask for?
You mean besides not putting the team in a hole in the first place, or actually tie the game and maybe actually win it?
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #93
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

As the Packers get Tauscher worked in and get some guys healthy again their OL will likely improve.

More importantly, Minnesota likely has that division on lock down at this point and the Saints or Falcons will win the NFCS, with one of those two probably taking one of the two wild cards.

That means the Packers and Bears are fighting with one of SF and AZ as well as possibly two of NYG, Philly, and Dallas for a wild card spot.

It'll be a tough road for anyone picking up that last wild card spot.

The Bears schedule going forward doesn't look real forgiving. On the road against Cincy, Minnesota, San Fran, and Baltimore with home games against AZ, Philly, Minnesota, and Green Bay. They need to win about half of those games and Cutler can't have any bonehead games against Cleveland, St. Louis, or Detroit. Otherwise they could be a .500 team giving us a top 20 pick.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #94
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I'm pretty sure the mark of a winning QB is...winning
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #95
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Sorry Popps, but I consider Cutler to be an above average QB; a whiney, b*tching, pouting above average QB. What he lacks in Chicago is the Oline and the smart WRs and maybe the QB coach or the O scheme that can use his basic skills. I do not consider him to be a "francise quarterback". He's just a Joe Palooka; a muscle-bound, hard swinging, glass-jawed doofus, living in a comic strip. I gathered from the announcers last night that they were hard pressed to label him the "FQB", either.

Can he win? Decidedly yes with the right scheme and coaching. But it seems to me that he needs a leader. A team full of followers is not going to go too far......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #96
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
You mean besides not putting the team in a hole in the first place, or actually tie the game and maybe actually win it?
Clearly yes...besides those...
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #97
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

The Broncos had a great defense for the first half of 2006. Then it sucked for 2 1/2 years when Cutler started. Cutler leaves, and all of the sudden, it's really great again. It could have just been a coincidence if the pattern wasn't repeating again in Chicago.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #98
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Sorry Popps, but I consider Cutler to be an above average QB; a whiney, b*tching, pouting above average QB. What he lacks in Chicago is the Oline and the smart WRs and maybe the QB coach or the O scheme that can use his basic skills. I do not consider him to be a "francise quarterback". He's just a Joe Palooka; a muscle-bound, hard swinging, glass-jawed doofus, living in a comic strip. I gathered from the announcers last night that they were hard pressed to label him the "FQB", either.

Can he win? Decidedly yes with the right scheme and coaching. But it seems to me that he needs a leader. A team full of followers is not going to go too far......
That's the perfect description for Jeff George.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #99
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I nominate this as

POST OF THE YEAR

Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #100
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
He had a bad night, but he is a franchise quarterback.

You don't like him, fine. But the professionals think otherwise there, Skippy.
I thought you said he looked "amazing" & he looked like such a "stud"

Whats all this bad night talk?
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote