The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #801
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Currently reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #802
Meck77

Broncos! How Sweet it Is!
Charlie Goldberg and Jim McNally
Forword by Pat Bowlen

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Description of book "Above all it is a special tribute to Charlie Goldberg, who believed in a color ORANGE that symbolized a victorious viewpoint. It was his determination and involvement with the Broncos that spurred others to join the effort to translate despair through triumph. This one is for you, Charlie "Bronco" Goldberg.

Think about that statement Orangemaners............

Last edited by Meck77; 09-23-2009 at 07:47 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #803
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm wanting to start in on the J.A. Jance novels, the P.J. Beaumont series.

Beaumont's (fictional) office was set just two blocks from me.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #804
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Description of book "Above all it is a special tribute to Charlie Goldberg, who believed in a color ORANGE that symbolized a victorious viewpoint. It was his determination and involvement with the Broncos that spurred others to join the effort to translate despair through triumph. This one is for you, Charlie "Bronco" Goldberg.
That's awesome ... but I can't help remembering that orange is the color they use in fast food dining rooms. Why? It has the subliminal effect of hastening the departure of diners.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #805
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

One other recent read and I wanted to ask a question about it:
Dean Koontz - "Frankenstein" (all three books)
What's the big deal? They weren't bad books, but they were typical Koontz cookie cutter books. The very typical Koontz formula was on display. Man and woman (usually a with a romantic interest between them) and a dog/small child go up against a purely evil really powerful bad guy with no redeeming characteristics whatsoever and defeat him in a big climactic (dare I say apocalyptic) showdown.

Good books, but nothing special. While I enjoy reading Koontz, I do try to limit myself because his books are so very cookie-cutter in their formula.

"FrankenDarkestHusbandFromtheCornerofHisSoleSurvivo r"
This should be the title of his next book.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #806
bombay
Ring of Famer

Just re-read Nick Hornby's High Fidelity.

Still great.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #807
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Glad to see this thread pop up again. Just finished the two books that Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg used to make the Mini Series "The Pacific" for HBO. "Helmet for my pillow" by Robert Leckie and "With the Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge. Ambrose never got to finish his book on the Pacific theater before he passed, these were the two books he was using to build his around. As mentioned a couple of pages back, everything by Stephen Pressfield has been great. I especially enjoyed his latest "Killing Rommel" about the formation of the Long Range Desert Group (think "Rat Patrol" for those of us old enough to remember it). Great read. Also tore through the Daniel Silva/Gabriel Allon + his earlier books. Don't start those unless you are the type that can easily put down a page turner. They cost me several nights of decent sleep! Been stuck in a history groove for a bit with a military/espionage bend. Not a bad place to have been, actually.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #808
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Ooops, almost forgot agreat read. "Three cups of tea" by Greg Mortenson.
From Publishers Weekly:
Starred Review. Some failures lead to phenomenal successes, and this American nurse's unsuccessful attempt to climb K2, the world's second tallest mountain, is one of them. Dangerously ill when he finished his climb in 1993, Mortenson was sheltered for seven weeks by the small Pakistani village of Korphe; in return, he promised to build the impoverished town's first school, a project that grew into the Central Asia Institute, which has since constructed more than 50 schools across rural Pakistan and Afghanistan. Coauthor Relin recounts Mortenson's efforts in fascinating detail, presenting compelling portraits of the village elders, con artists, philanthropists, mujahideen, Taliban officials, ambitious school girls and upright Muslims Mortenson met along the way. As the book moves into the post-9/11 world, Mortenson and Relin argue that the United States must fight Islamic extremism in the region through collaborative efforts to alleviate poverty and improve access to education, especially for girls. Captivating and suspenseful, with engrossing accounts of both hostilities and unlikely friendships, this book will win many readers' hearts.

Great read and powerful food for thought. I am humbled by what this guy has accomplished.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #809
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
One other recent read and I wanted to ask a question about it:
Dean Koontz - "Frankenstein" (all three books)
What's the big deal? They weren't bad books, but they were typical Koontz cookie cutter books. The very typical Koontz formula was on display. Man and woman (usually a with a romantic interest between them) and a dog/small child go up against a purely evil really powerful bad guy with no redeeming characteristics whatsoever and defeat him in a big climactic (dare I say apocalyptic) showdown.

Good books, but nothing special. While I enjoy reading Koontz, I do try to limit myself because his books are so very cookie-cutter in their formula.

"FrankenDarkestHusbandFromtheCornerofHisSoleSurvivo r"
This should be the title of his next book.

Ben

I read the Frankenstein Trilogy. Ending of the third one was kind of lame. Jocko was funny though.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #810
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I just finished "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.

A great read. Just fantastic.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #811
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I've been sitting on The Count of Monte Cristo for some time. That book looks like a committment.

I suppose I'll start it soon.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #812
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I've been sitting on The Count of Monte Cristo for some time. That book looks like a committment.

I suppose I'll start it soon.

Fantastic book. You will enjoy it Taco.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #813
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I read the Frankenstein Trilogy. Ending of the third one was kind of lame. Jocko was funny though.

Jocko was my favorite character.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #814
SPfloppy
Perennial Pro-bowler

I am not sure it was "good" but I polished off the new Dan brown "The Lost Symbol" last week. If you have read any of his other books (Digital Fortress, Deception Point, Davinci Code, Angles and deamons) you know how this one will go. I swear the man uses the same outline without variation for every book he writes. Don't get me wrong it was very engaging and cut a great pace. But again if you have read any of his other books you will be able to figure out the twists 12 chapters in. High on suspense, high on details, fast paced and of course covers a mysterious old order. Save a few bucks and get it at Walmart for $16. Borders, B.Dalton both had it for like $24
SPfloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #815
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPfloppy View Post
I am not sure it was "good" but I polished off the new Dan brown "The Lost Symbol" last week. If you have read any of his other books (Digital Fortress, Deception Point, Davinci Code, Angles and deamons) you know how this one will go. I swear the man uses the same outline without variation for every book he writes. Don't get me wrong it was very engaging and cut a great pace. But again if you have read any of his other books you will be able to figure out the twists 12 chapters in. High on suspense, high on details, fast paced and of course covers a mysterious old order. Save a few bucks and get it at Walmart for $16. Borders, B.Dalton both had it for like $24

so yet again the Church conspires to enslave mankind and oppress women by besmirching the sacred feminine?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #816
SPfloppy
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
so yet again the Church conspires to enslave mankind and oppress women by besmirching the sacred feminine?

Nah. This time we supposed to have sympathy for freemasons and government types. Oh yeah and we are to believe that amazing unbelievable scientific breakthrus are possible just by wishing it so....
Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #817
SPfloppy
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hey don't take it as me griping because I thought it was bad. It was engaging. i am more pissed at myself for spoiling it by guessing right. To his credit the book reads like a screan play and should be very easy to adapt for a third franchise movie
Old 10-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #818
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Well, after finishing "The Lost Symbol" I'm disappointed. As pointed out, it was very predictable and the ending was too "woo-woo" metaphysical. Dan Brown is succumbing to Dean Koontz disease. Every book follows the exact same formula with almost the exact same outcome.

"The Talbot Odyssey" by Nelsom DeMille however is quite good. A little dated (before the collapse of the Soviet Union" but the story and pacing are outstanding! I'd recommend it over the new Brown novel.

Ben
Old 10-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #819
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I just finished "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.

A great read. Just fantastic.
I think I read that in like 4th grade. Way to go Taco!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #820
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I got Saccomano's Denver Broncos book, the complete illustrated history.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #821
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I think I read that in like 4th grade. Way to go Taco!
Pick it up again. It's a great read!

I just started The Illiad. It's been at least a dozen years since I have read it - and that was because I was forced to in college. I never thought I'd pick up the book because I was genuinely interested in it, but I watched Troy a couple weeks back, and really got into the idea of a greek war story. Reading it for the second time, but falling in love with it for the first. A great read so far.

The Count of Monte Cristo has been put on hold.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #822
SPfloppy
Perennial Pro-bowler

I just started "A Brave New world". I love the distopian syosiety reads like Farenhieght 451, Brave new World, 1984 ect. Anybody else down with depression?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #823
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPfloppy View Post
I just started "A Brave New world". I love the distopian syosiety reads like Farenhieght 451, Brave new World, 1984 ect. Anybody else down with depression?
Read some Phillip K Dick
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #824
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Working on "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #825
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I am finally reading Les Miserables. It took awhile to get into it and keep who was what but it I am a couple hundred pages in now and hooked.

Only problem is that I am reading from a book printed in 1887 and there are lots of mistakes in the printing but it was handed down to me and when I finish I get to scratch reading it off the bucket list. I have meant to read my handed down books for the last 20 years.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote