The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #3726
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
It's always the same thing with you, if someone doesn't agree with the ubermusician, then they don't know anything about music...well **** you and your condescending bullshat, I'm out.

Oh sorry, almost forgot the smilie


Asking you for some further elaboration or examples to support your claim about Marriott's voice is "condescending?"

Whatever gets you through the night.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #3727
Jagrego
Just Drafted
 
Jagrego's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 37

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Forth Yeer Freshmen---Rock Your Box
Jagrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 AM   #3728
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,056
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #3729
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Drop out with The Barracudas



It never gets old
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #3730
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,056
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #3731
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

King Kahn and the Shrines





Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #3732
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,056
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #3733
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,056
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #3734
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue
 
Eldorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523 View Post


Ladies and Gentleman, tom waits.....
Good ****ing christ. Tell me it didn't take 2234 posts for someone to mention Waits.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #3735
SPfloppy
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
SPfloppy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 879
Default

Phat Pat--Ghetto Dreams...he left us too soon
SPfloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #3736
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

The Reigning Sound

Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #3737
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,894
Default

Lou Reed rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9y5hkMoA6c
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #3738
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
It's always the same thing with you, if someone doesn't agree with the ubermusician, then they don't know anything about music...well **** you and your condescending bullshat, I'm out.

Oh sorry, almost forgot the smilie

You're spot on about the deterioration of Marriot's voice after about 1972. I saw Humble Pie on every American tour in the '70's, and whether it was the screaming or whatever, he just wasn't as good by Smokin'. He and Frampton were an interesting balance. Kind of lennon/mccartneyish.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #3739
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
You're spot on about the deterioration of Marriot's voice after about 1972. I saw Humble Pie on every American tour in the '70's, and whether it was the screaming or whatever, he just wasn't as good by Smokin'. He and Frampton were an interesting balance. Kind of lennon/mccartneyish.
Thanks Bombay, I appreciate that.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #3740
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
That original Velvets version is just chilling.

I haven't cared too much for his most recent offerings, but I would still see him in a heartbeat. I never have and I hope to at some point...I don't even care that his voice is long gone.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #3741
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Thanks Bombay, I appreciate that.

I don't know if there's a direct correlation, but screamers like Marriot and Roger Waters really lost a lot vocally down the road, while singers like David Gilmour have maintained their vocal capabilities well into their later years.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #3742
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I don't know if there's a direct correlation, but screamers like Marriot and Roger Waters really lost a lot vocally down the road, while singers like David Gilmour have maintained their vocal capabilities well into their later years.
I'm not sure if it's the continued stress on the vocal cords, the drugs or what. I kinda question the screamer thing though. Lou Reed lost his voice to the point that anytime he raises it out of his Noo Yawk speak vocals, it cracks so painfully that it makes him very hard to listen to and he was never a screamer. For example: The much ballyhooed Live In Italy, I feel, is severely marred by his insistance to yell throughout the album, whereas if he had stuck to his soft spoken singspeak, it would've been the classic live Reed album that most think it is.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #3743
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I'm not sure if it's the continued stress on the vocal cords, the drugs or what. I kinda question the screamer thing though. Lou Reed lost his voice to the point that anytime he raises it out of his Noo Yawk speak vocals, it cracks so painfully that it makes him very hard to listen to and he was never a screamer. For example: The much ballyhooed Live In Italy, I feel, is severely marred by his insistance to yell throughout the album, whereas if he had stuck to his soft spoken singspeak, it would've been the classic live Reed album that most think it is.
Just idle speculation on the screaming thing, I'm sure you're right. It's probably just freakish genetics or whatever that allow a few guys, like Gilmour, Crosby, etc to carry excellent vocal skills into their dotage.

The only time I've seen Lou Reed was at the Farm Aid show in Champaign in 1985. Good, but a very small sample. I'd gladly go see him if he showed up here in Denver, shot voice and all. Legendary.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #3744
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
The only time I've seen Lou Reed was at the Farm Aid show in Champaign in 1985. Good, but a very small sample. I'd gladly go see him if he showed up here in Denver, shot voice and all. Legendary.
Oh yeah, no question about it. Almost made a road trip to NYC for one of his shows a few times....but it never panned out and he's never came close to my area in the last few years. Someday
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #3745
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #3746
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,894
Default

Oh, another thing. Dickey Betts came through last Friday night and we went. He puts on an excellent show now that he's clean. I will venture that it's a better Allman Brothers show than the Warren Haynes jam band with Greg Allman puts on.

Last edited by bombay; 08-29-2009 at 05:27 PM..
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #3747
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
You're spot on about the deterioration of Marriot's voice after about 1972. I saw Humble Pie on every American tour in the '70's, and whether it was the screaming or whatever, he just wasn't as good by Smokin'. He and Frampton were an interesting balance. Kind of lennon/mccartneyish.
I saw HP at least once on all of those 70s tours as well, and Marriott's voice was still in fine form, i.e., no problems with range or pitch or whatever, when I saw them.

Maybe you caught him on a bad night?
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #3748
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,056
Default

Check the section at the end where Dean Brown (gtr) is trading fours with the horn players.

Bad ass!

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #3749
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Oh, another thing. Dickey Betts came through last Friday night and we went. He puts on an excellent show now that he's clean. I will venture that it's a better Allman Brothers show than the Warren Haynes jam band with Greg Allman puts on.
Saw Betts in '89 (around the time that he first discovered Warren Haynes.) Smokin' show!

Dickey was the guy who brought Haynes into the ABB back when the band re-formed in the late 80s.

Warren is a good player, but I liked his ABB predecessor (Dan Toler) more (even though the ABB records that featured Toler weren't the greatest from a songwriting perspective.) I saw that lineup a few times (actually opened a show for them in '82) and I thought Betts' and Toler's styles complimented one another more than Betts/Haynes. Toler got jazzy (in a way that was tasteful and in context) a lot, which appealed to my ears.

Last edited by L.A. BRONCOS FAN; 09-01-2009 at 08:14 PM..
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #3750
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,111

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default



Don't even laugh .... you rat bastards.





(Great piano track )
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Denver Broncos