The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Options in dealing with Marshall

Yes, another Marshall thread.

Options moving forward with Marshall:

A. Pay him
B. Trade him
C. Suspend him for conduct detrimental
D. Suspend him for conduct detrimental and try to ruin his career
E. Pretend none of this ever happened and move on and play him

I think we can all agree "A" is out of the question at this point, and I also feel the same way about "E"

Option "D" was brought up by several people and worth considering, imo. Can Denver do it? Probably. But despite his actions he may have a lot of people on the team that like him, and other people that may think something that harsh puts a black-eye on the organization itself. So this option should be dismissed, imo.

Option "C" is a real possibility at this point... but I don't think it's a good idea. On one hand, you can be certain this will be matched with a grievance by Brandon for mis-diagnosing his hip last season. Also, Brandon doesn't seem the type who will fall in line to disciplinary action, as evidenced today, and would probably become a huge distraction for a team that doesn't need any extra adversity moving forward.

That leaves option "B". We clearly won't get equal value short of hitting on a Tom Brady or Terrell Davis. Some MAY view it as caving in to a player. But this seems like the only reasonable option to move on as soon as possible, imo.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Poll?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

No chance for a poll. Hoping for serious discussion.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Burn him...he is a witch
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
No chance for a poll.
Delete thread start new one. What can I say I'm lazy.

Edit: Ok I'll play along. I actually would like to know what McD would want to do. He seemed really frustrated after practice like he isn't getting his way either.

Last edited by SureShot; 08-27-2009 at 11:02 PM..
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:

A. Pay him
B. Trade him

I think we can all agree "A" is out of the question at this point, and I also feel the same way about "E"

Option "D" was brought up by several people and worth considering, imo. Can Denver do it? Probably. But despite his actions he may have a lot of people on the team that like him, and other people that may think something that harsh puts a black-eye on the organization itself. So this option should be dismissed, imo.

Option "C" is a real possibility at this point... but I don't think it's a good idea. On one hand, you can be certain this will be matched with a grievance by Brandon for mis-diagnosing his hip last season. Also, Brandon doesn't seem the type who will fall in line to disciplinary action, as evidenced today, and would probably become a huge distraction for a team that doesn't need any extra adversity moving forward.

That leaves option "B". We clearly won't get equal value short of hitting on a Tom Brady or Terrell Davis. Some MAY view it as caving in to a player. But this seems like the only reasonable option to move on as soon as possible, imo.
Marshall trade value really droped down after that video. Maybe the jets would give the Broncos a 2 and 4 rounder but I doubt it.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
Marshall trade value really droped down after that video. Maybe the jets would give the Broncos a 2 and 4 rounder but I doubt it.
This cant be the first time a player has been frustrated at practice and kicked a ball. Hell Steve Smith caved some dudes face in at practice and everyone here would do backflips if we traded BM for Steve Smith straight up.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
No chance for a poll. Hoping for serious discussion.
So, no "poops" or "I hate Hotrod" options?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

There really is no good answer, here... but I think at bare minimum, the team has to make a statement now that the video got out. That's unacceptable and I don't care what anyone thinks of McDaniels, this goes way beyond that. No coach at any level should put up with that. He deserves a minimum game suspension after this week, and it should be without pay.

This is a war the coaching staff cannot afford to lose. It's an opportunity to once again assert the way business is going to be conducted in Denver. I see a team full of other professionals behaving accordingly. If Brandon can't, then he needs to be treated like the discipline problem that he is.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
This cant be the first time a player has been frustrated at practice and kicked a ball. Hell Steve Smith caved some dudes face in at practice and everyone here would do backflips if we traded BM for Steve Smith straight up.
Getting into a fight is not the same think as completly doggie it in practice and detroying the teams unite
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
There really is no good answer, here... but I think at bare minimum, the team has to make a statement now that the video got out. That's unacceptable and I don't care what anyone thinks of McDaniels, this goes way beyond that. No coach at any level should put up with that. He deserves a minimum game suspension after this week, and it should be without pay.

This is a war the coaching staff cannot afford to lose. It's an opportunity to once again assert the way business is going to be conducted in Denver. I see a team full of other professionals behaving accordingly. If Brandon can't, then he needs to be treated like the discipline problem that he is.
I think Josh is ready to do that. Can he? I think we'll learn a lot about Bowlen this week.

Imo, no disciplinary action MEANS that Brandon is telling the truth about Bowlen promising the trade, and Bowlen pressuring Josh to keep him on the field without repercussions.

Of course, that's if he's not traded.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #12
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Sit him down. No big numbers production means no fat contract next year...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
Getting into a fight is not the same think as completly doggie it in practice and detroying the teams unite
Its not much of a fight when the other guy pummels you while you are taking a knee watching practice on the sidelines.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Option C is more business like and ruining his career will be on his own self. He is damaging his own career. With no new contract to come and possible changes to NFL salaries, he might be screwed for awhile. Option D is what Al Davis did and was way off line of this P.O.S.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I still hope for A, but it won't happen. I don't think he'll be too big of a problem once the season rolls around, unless McDaniels continues to toy with him and won't start him. I think we need to trade him for conditional picks/players.
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #16
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Option C is more business like and ruining his career will be on his own self. He is damaging his own career. With no new contract to come and possible changes to NFL salaries, he might be screwed for awhile. Option D is what Al Davis did and was way off line of this P.O.S.
I completely agree it's more business like in nature.

However, this situation really seems primed to explode. Would you rather play with matches around the powder keg, or just ****ing get rid of it?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I think Josh is ready to do that. Can he? I think we'll learn a lot about Bowlen this week.

Imo, no disciplinary action MEANS that Brandon is telling the truth about Bowlen promising the trade, and Bowlen pressuring Josh to keep him on the field without repercussions.

Of course, that's if he's not traded.
Here's the thing... Brandon gets off yet another legal hook. He goes to a day or so of practice, and then storms into Bowlen's office demanding things.

I have a hard time believing that Bowlen put his hand on a bible and swore he'd grant Marshall's every wish at that point. But, let's say he did say he'd attempt to accommodate Marshall. Why would Brandon then need to leave camp?

If Brandon got what he wanted at the meeting, why make yourself a hold-out and appear to be even more of a problem case?

Sounds more to me like Brandon didn't get the raise he wanted, demanded to be traded and Bowlen blew him of... saying whatever he needed to say to get the punk out of his office.

I highly, highly doubt Bowlen is sending down any kind of marching orders on this situation. At this point, he's got to go with what the staff thinks is best. I DO believe that Bowlen told Cutler the well was dry, just like I believe he told Cutler the same thing. That obviously didn't sit well.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Trade him but make it a performance trade. He will likely do well on another team so plan on that and make it a 1st if he is available to play in 16 games and gets over 1000 yards.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #19
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

E
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #20
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Burn him...he is a witch
certainly worthy of discussion ...

RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Here's the thing... Brandon gets off yet another legal hook. He goes to a day or so of practice, and then storms into Bowlen's office demanding things.

I have a hard time believing that Bowlen put his hand on a bible and swore he'd grant Marshall's every wish at that point. But, let's say he did say he'd attempt to accommodate Marshall. Why would Brandon then need to leave camp?

If Brandon got what he wanted at the meeting, why make yourself a hold-out and appear to be even more of a problem case?

Sounds more to me like Brandon didn't get the raise he wanted, demanded to be traded and Bowlen blew him of... saying whatever he needed to say to get the punk out of his office.

I highly, highly doubt Bowlen is sending down any kind of marching orders on this situation. At this point, he's got to go with what the staff thinks is best. I DO believe that Bowlen told Cutler the well was dry, just like I believe he told Cutler the same thing. That obviously didn't sit well.
Because immediately after McDaniels stated otherwise, if you remember.

IF this scenario is true, and we both agree that "who knows", Bowlen could've had his mind changed when he met with Josh to discuss it after his meeting with Brandon. THAT is why I think we'll see some telling ACTIONS this week.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Because immediately after McDaniels stated otherwise, if you remember.

IF this scenario is true, and we both agree that "who knows", Bowlen could've had his mind changed when he met with Josh to discuss it after his meeting with Brandon. THAT is why I think we'll see some telling ACTIONS this week.
It's a muddled situation.

To me, there are a few certainties...

1. He won't get paid in Denver.

2. His trade value has to be crap, this point. We got Javon Walker for a 2nd rounder and he wasn't nearly this disgruntled as far as playing games at practice, etc. I can't imagine we could even get a 2nd, at this point.

3. Brandon has and will be a distraction for the rest of the time he's in Denver.

Bad set of circumstances.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
It's a muddled situation.

To me, there are a few certainties...

1. He won't get paid in Denver.

2. His trade value has to be crap, this point. We got Javon Walker for a 2nd rounder and he wasn't nearly this disgruntled as far as playing games at practice, etc. I can't imagine we could even get a 2nd, at this point.

3. Brandon has and will be a distraction for the rest of the time he's in Denver.

Bad set of circumstances.
This team has enough issues right now. Trading, for whatever, is the ONLY moving forward choice to make, imo.

Imo, worst AND most entertaining off-season... EVER
Old 08-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #24
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran

Tell him he has two choices, be a man and play under his current contract. Or act like a baby, get suspended, get fined, and lose even more $ down the road. The choice is up to him, nobody can force him to play.
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

A. Pay him
B. Trade him

Option C is laughable. "Detrimental to the team".... Have you not paid attention to what has gone down this offseason? Is Pat also going to suspend himself, Joe Ellis, and Josh McDaniels?

Why does no one ever give credit to Cincinnati? They had a similar situation with Chad Johnson last year and they said, "either play or dont because youre not getting traded."

The worst place to be is to feel like you have to do something. You cant just trade him to get rid of him. Like it or not but the Broncos need him at least as much as he needs the Broncos...probably more. The guy is too talented to ship of just to get rid of him without a kings ransom. They need to continue what theyve been doing, which is to manage the situation week-to-week as uncomfortable or as unharmonious as it might be.

Last edited by lex; 08-27-2009 at 11:48 PM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote