The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
SPfloppy
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default OTL Pete Rose HOF

Ok so the semi-annual Pete Rose re-instatement bit has begun. today on ESPN's Outside the Lines; a story on pete rose's ban from MLB and the possibilities of the ban being lifted and him being allowed to joing the MLB hall of fame. Joe Morgan a longtime friend of Rose who is now the vice pres of the MLB HOF stated that he did not believe that Rose should be given "limited access" to MLB for the purpose of allowing him in the HOF.

This "Limited access" to MLB has been discussed recently by Rose supporters but with Morgan's comments this is yet another dead end for Pete. The central argument remains the fact that it is known that Pete bet baseball and gambling is treated with a zero-tolerence stance by MLB. The fact that Pete waited 14 years to come clean (in 2002 he met w/ MLB's commish and admitted it then) was accepted grudgingly. The fact that he did so publicly two years later to sell books most likely sealed his fate and double locked the gates to Cooperstown for him for good.

I am a supporter of Rose going into the hall. The HOF is the culmination of what a player, manager, announcer or admin has achieved in his/her career. Pete has met the criteria 1000 times over and is celebrated by the very people who deny him access. His sin was serious and tarnished MLB. I understand the why, but another athlete from another sport who may or may not have been a future HOF player, was re-instated after serving time in prison for violent and aborrant crimes...and GAMBLING!!!! So why the double standard? Do you think he should stay out or should he be allowed in?
SPfloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

I have mixed feelings about Rose. I wish baseball still had players like him today that left it all out on the field and entertained the fans no matter the circumstances (spring training, All-Star Game).

Gambling is such a serious offense though. It's the Cardinal Sin of baseball because it threatens the livelihood of the sport. If people lose confidence in the games and believe the sport is fixed, the institution will collapse.

Don't take Pete Rose's word that he only bet on the Reds and did so for every game he managed them. John Dowd, the man who conducted the investigation, said Rose never placed a bet on his team when Mario Soto or Bill Gullickson were pitching. That's shady!!!
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote