The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #1126
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Unsigned First Round Picks:

6. Andre Smith OT Cincinnati
8. Eugene Monroe OT Jacksonville
9. B.J. Raji DT Green Bay
10. Michael Crabtree WR San Francisco
11. Aaron Maybin DE Buffalo
14. Malcolm Jenkins CB New Orleans
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #1127
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

You know, I love Tony Scheffler. I think he's a stud and would love to see him be a big part of our offense... problem is, he's just not a big part of it. In fact, with Quinn being a good blocker and that being the focal point, I think we can get the same type of production (which isn't going to be much) from Jeb Putzier. It is unfortunate, but McD just doesn't use the TE in the passing game that much. SO, with that in mind. I would hope the Broncos would gauge the Eagles' interest in Tony Scheffler. They don't have any players that would help us on the DL, but perhaps we could recoup a draft pick from them for Scheff?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #1128
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP) - Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson has hyperextended his right knee in practice.
Jackson fell awkwardly Saturday after getting tangled up with cornerback Asante Samuel during a full-squad drill.

The second-year pro walked the length of the field with head trainer Rick Burkholder before being carted to the locker room. Jackson was able to put weight on his leg after practice, but the knee was heavily wrapped. A second-round draft pick in 2008, Jackson set the Eagles' single-season rookie record with 912 receiving yards. He also set the team's single-season rookie record for a wide receiver with 62 receptions.
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #1129
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Saints agreed to terms with Ohio State cornerback Michael Jenkins late Sunday night on a five-year contract.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #1130
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

9. B.J. Raji DT Green Bay
Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #1131
TonyR
Franchise Poster

New England's pursuit of a backup defensive lineman is now focusing on Vonnie Holliday.

Holliday is taking a free-agent visit with the Patriots on Monday, one source told FOXSports.com. FOXSports.com first reported last week that New England also was courting free agent Kevin Carter in at attempt to bolster its line rotation behind starting ends Ty Warren and Richard Seymour.

Holliday and Carter were teammates in Miami in 2005 and 2006. Holliday, 33, also played the last two seasons with the Dolphins, starting 15 games in 2008. He was released in March after refusing to accept a pay cut. Interest in Holliday was tempered earlier this offseason because he was recovering from knee surgery.

An 11-year NFL veteran, Holliday has started 141 games since entering the league as Green Bay's first-round draft choice in 1998.

The Patriots have added a slew of veterans this offseason that include defensive end/outside linebacker Derrick Burgess, wide receiver Joey Galloway and running back Fred Taylor.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ns-DE-Holliday
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #1132
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
New England's pursuit of a backup defensive lineman is now focusing on Vonnie Holliday.

Holliday is taking a free-agent visit with the Patriots on Monday, one source told FOXSports.com. FOXSports.com first reported last week that New England also was courting free agent Kevin Carter in at attempt to bolster its line rotation behind starting ends Ty Warren and Richard Seymour.

Holliday and Carter were teammates in Miami in 2005 and 2006. Holliday, 33, also played the last two seasons with the Dolphins, starting 15 games in 2008. He was released in March after refusing to accept a pay cut. Interest in Holliday was tempered earlier this offseason because he was recovering from knee surgery.

An 11-year NFL veteran, Holliday has started 141 games since entering the league as Green Bay's first-round draft choice in 1998.

The Patriots have added a slew of veterans this offseason that include defensive end/outside linebacker Derrick Burgess, wide receiver Joey Galloway and running back Fred Taylor.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ns-DE-Holliday
I guess they didn't address those needs earlier huh?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #1133
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default Karma??

Pollard giveth and nearly taketh away.

Peter King
MONDAY MORNING QB

9:45 a.m., Wednesday (Chiefs camp, River Falls, Wisc.): You're not going to believe this. It's midway through Kansas City's first of two daily practices and Matt Cassel, Tom Brady's longtime understudy now on his own in the heartland, fades back to pass. Quarterbacks in training camp are not supposed to be hit in camp, but in this pass drill, with Cassel setting up in the pocket, safety Bernard Pollard comes on a blitz.

You remember Pollard. He's the guy who tumbled/dove into Brady's planted left leg on an identical rush last September, collapsing the knee, shredding Brady's ACL and knocking him out for the season. Now, on a sun-baked field miles from anywhere in western Wisconsin, here came Pollard at the man who replaced Brady and who, ironically, became Pollard's teammate after New England traded Cassel to Kansas City in February.

What makes the play even more amazing is that Brady got hit last year when a back missed a block on the onrushing Pollard. And as I'm watching, I can't believe what I see: Again, a back (I didn't catch his number) throws an ĦOle!block, and precisely the same thing that happened a year ago happens now: Pollard thought he was going to be blocked by a running back last year against New England, got low to take on the block, wasn't blocked, and fell into Brady. Now, he thought he was going to be blocked by a running back, got low, wasn't blocked, and stumbled and tried to avoid hitting Cassel, yelling at the last moment, "Move!" It was too late. He fell hard and rolled into Cassel's left leg.

Barely.

Pollard was able to put on the brakes enough so that he only tapped Cassel's left leg. Cassel flexed it a couple of times and was fine. A couple of his offensive mates hustled in to defend him against Pollard. Words were exchanged, but that was it. No harm, no foul.

"Pretty weird," a smiling Cassel told me an hour later. "Yeah, I realized it."

I caught Pollard after lunch on campus. His eyes got wide when I asked him about the play. "I got to the sidelines after that play," Pollard said, "and I realized what happened, and I thought, -- OH MY GOD! It's like a replay.''

As I said, Cassel was fine, and held no grudge against Pollard. That's football. But it's such happenstance. How history would have been changed if Pollard tapped Brady's knee the way he tapped Cassel's. If it had happened like that, what would have happened to Cassel? Would he still be the permanent backup to Brady? Or would Cassel, whose contract expired at the end of last year, have been picked off by new Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, who was behind Cassel's drafting in the seventh round five years ago by the Patriots? My money's on the Chiefs taking him off New England's hands -- money being the key word. He parlayed his opportunity with the Patriots last year into a six-year, $63-million contract in Kansas City.

What might Cassel have gotten had he never played? Well, a parallel player to Cassel a year ago at this time -- a totally unproven backup with a little marketability -- was Brian St. Pierre, the third-stringer on Arizona who re-signed with the Cardinals this offseason: For one year and $1 million.

So, Pollard's hit was a $62-million whack, give or take a million, for Cassel. On this morning, double jeopardy almost struck. Football is a funny game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...09/mmqb/1.html
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #1134
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Signs continue to point to Vick and the Ravens

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nd-the-ravens/

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2009 7:01 PM ET

The fact that agent Joel Segal said during a visit to Redskins camp on Tuesday that there's "no chance" Mike Vick will sign with the 'Skins is causing some league insiders to cast an even stronger gaze on the franchise's nearest NFL neighbor.

As one seasoned and astute league source put it, Segal has a reputation for making the most out of his business trips. With no specific reason for him to attend Redskins practice, the educated guess is that the New York-based agent primarily was in the area on other business.

And that other business could include a visit with the Ravens regarding a possible contract for Vick.

As ESPN's Chris Mortensen pointed out earlier today, speculation currently is pointing primarily to the Ravens.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #1135
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Signs continue to point to Vick and the Ravens

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nd-the-ravens/

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2009 7:01 PM ET

The fact that agent Joel Segal said during a visit to Redskins camp on Tuesday that there's "no chance" Mike Vick will sign with the 'Skins is causing some league insiders to cast an even stronger gaze on the franchise's nearest NFL neighbor.

As one seasoned and astute league source put it, Segal has a reputation for making the most out of his business trips. With no specific reason for him to attend Redskins practice, the educated guess is that the New York-based agent primarily was in the area on other business.

And that other business could include a visit with the Ravens regarding a possible contract for Vick.

As ESPN's Chris Mortensen pointed out earlier today, speculation currently is pointing primarily to the Ravens.
As a Backup QB or in another role?

I thought Flacco was pretty good last year.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #1136
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
As a Backup QB or in another role?

I thought Flacco was pretty good last year.
I am sure it would be as a back up/situational role.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #1137
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Ravens are not expected to sign Vick

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2009 9:59 PM ET
Despite mounting speculation linking the Ravens to quarterback Mike Vick, a league source tells us that the Ravens to date haven't had any discussions regarding a potential acquisition of the free-agent who, per Tony Dungy, is expected to sign a contract this week.

And while it's hard to know what the truth is in this regard, it makes sense for the Ravens not to be chasing Vick. They're still trying to bring along a young quarterback who might have been a little rattled with Vick on the roster, and if they want to develop a jack-of-some-trades, they can do it with Troy Smith.

So while the Ravens are not yet candidates for the Anti-Vick parade, we'd be shocked based on information we've gathered tonight if Vick were to become a Raven.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-sign-vick/

can't anyone make up their mind? I'm tired of this bs.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #1138
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Report: Crabtree holdout likely to reach September

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ach-september/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 12, 2009 3:49 PM ET

The Michael Crabtree holdout has apparently reached a standstill, with no end in sight.

Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, wants a slot-busting deal, and the 49ers aren't budging from their initial offer.

According to Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News, the two sides aren't likely to move until the weeks or days before San Francisco's Week One opener on September 13.

Kawakami cites a "highly placed source" and his report was seconded on Twitter by Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

"One side [Crabtree] will have to eat crow and sign deal that was offered in June," Maiocco writes.

If this timetable holds, Crabtree's rookie season is likely to be adversely affected, not unlike what happened to JaMarcus Russell in 2007. Crabtree hasn't fully practiced as a pro, and his chance to start opening the season would likely be gone by September.

If fellow holdouts (Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji and Bills defensive end Aaron Maybin) are waiting for Crabtree to sign, it sounds like they have a few more weeks to kill.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #1139
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The one team who should sign Vick is the Vikings...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #1140
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Stallworth suspended for season without pay:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ay_for_season/
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #1141
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Packers holdout B.J. Raji has stopped waiting for Michael Crabtree.

The ninth overall pick of the draft has reached an agreement in principle with the Packers, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. The contract must be reviewed, but Raji is expected to sign it on Friday when he arrives in Green Bay.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #1142
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #1143
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

First-round draft pick Eugene Monroe ended a 12-day holdout on Friday by signing a five-year contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #1144
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #1145
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Bengals holdout Smith not close to signing

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...se-to-signing/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 18, 2009 4:15 PM ET

Brett Favre's return may not be good news to Packers fans and beleaguered Midwestern football scribes, but it will certainly take the spotlight off other NFL stories of the day.

And for that, Michael Vick, Tom Cable, Brandon Marshall, and the remaining rookie holdouts should send Favre a hearty thanks.

One of those rookies, Bengals tackle Andre Smith, is reportedly $5-$10 million apart in contract negotiations with Cincinnati, according to NFL Network's Steve Wyche.

Wyche paints a grim picture for folks like quarterback Carson Palmer who would love to see the projected starter get to work.

The Bengals reportedly increased their offer recently, but it is still less than the deal handed to Vernon Gholston in the same draft slot last year. Wyche says that Smith's holdout is in even worse shape than Michael Crabtree's and could go right up until the start of the regular season, if that soon.

Cameras for the HBO show Hard Knocks showed Smith working out on his own, but he didn't exactly look like he was in game shape. (This year's Hard Knocks, incidentally, looks even better than usual, which is saying a lot.)

Bengals president Mike Brown didn't sound broken up on the program about Smith's holdout, further indicating that it could drag on into September.

The only drama left is seeing what holdout will last the longest: Smith, Crabtree, ordarkhorse pick Bills defensive end Aaron Maybin?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #1146
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Derrick Brooks still looking for work

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...king-for-work/

Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2009 3:17 PM ET

As one aging Hall of Famer finally finds a new team, another one continues to wait for his shot.

Former Bucs linebacker Derrick Brooks spoke to Sirius NFL Radio on Monday regarding his future in the NFL.

"As it's sitting right now, I just got back from Oakland early [Monday] and I see where they decided to go with Morlon Greenwood instead of myself," Brooks told the Sirius Blitz. "I guess, after seeing me work out, I was told that the role, the immediate need they need to fill was one that they didn't see me doing in terms of being a special teams player, more or less, and a backup. They felt I've got a lot of starter snaps in me so I took that for what it's worth and move forward."

Brooks said that he still might end up with the Saints.

"[I had a] great visit, great time in New Orleans and we're continuing to talk," Brooks said. "I really like their franchise and what Coach Payton has done there and hopefully I'll get something real soon. A few other teams have called my agent but we haven't set up any visits or anything like that. . . . The other teams that have called my agent have expressed interest but at this point no one has offered a visit as of [Monday] morning. Once the word got out that I had a really good workout in New Orleans, now there's a buzz."

The issue that kept Brooks from getting a shot with the Raiders could hurt him elsewhere.

Backup linebackers typically play special teams. Otherwise, coaches have real challenges when it comes to setting the game day 45-man roster.

That said, Brooks should be in the league right now.

Actually, he still should be a Buccaneer.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #1147
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
The Bengals reportedly increased their offer recently, but it is still less than the deal handed to Vernon Gholston in the same draft slot last year.
Let me get this straight. They only just now increased their offer to a level that is still below what the guy in his spot got last year? Is it any surprise this guy is holding out?

Anyone who wants to blame the player or agent in these situations needs to take note of this particular negotiation. Seems pretty clear to me that some organizations just don't know what the heck they're doing.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #1148
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

It is the Bungles after all
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #1149
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Bumping Cutler threads off the main page
Old 08-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #1150
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Oakland loses top receiver to broken bone in foot

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-broken-foot/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 18, 2009 4:28 PM ET

Oakland's low-key, feel good training camp isn't feeling so good after the last few days.

Just one day after Raiders players were chanting in support of their fighting coach, we learned that a more important member of the organization than defensive assistant Randy Hanson has a broken bone to worry about.

Chaz Schilens, the team's best receiver, broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot early Tuesday. The timeframe of his return is unclear, although Schilens admitted that it would take a "miracle" for him to be ready for Week One.

Schilens' injury is similar on the surface to the one suffered by Rams receiver Donnie Avery, who was expected to miss 4-6 weeks.

A seventh-round pick in 2008, Schilens arguably was enjoying the best training camp of any Raider. His performance in the team's preseason game was eye-opening, showing a great mix of toughness, speed, and terrific hands.

With Schilens out, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Johnnie Lee Higgins look like the team's starters. Javon Walker is expected to come off the active/PUP list Monday after missing the entire offseason following knee surgery.