The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #3701
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Poor guy ended badly, going out in a fire started by a dropped cigarette when he passed out. Here's the statement from the fire brigade leader:
"It was a tough fight getting upstairs. We searched the bedroom areas and it was very hot, we knew immediately that no-one could have survived the fire. We began to feel around the walls and discovered him lying on the floor between the bed and the wall. I would say he had been in bed and tried to escape. As soon as I saw the body clearly I knew who it was. I used to be a fan, it's difficult to put my feelings into words. The scene was horrific in that corner of the room. I saw him lying there and thought what a pity it all was. I deal with many fires but this one was like walking down memory lane. We managed to salvage all his guitars and musical equipment. I feel a bit upset, all the firemen do. It was like seeing part of our lives gone forever." - (Fire Officer)

Really sad.
Yep - one of the greatest voices in the history of Rock and Roll, and there was barely any mention of Marriott's death in what jokingly passed for music media at the time.

The really sad part for fans was that Steve had just reunited with Peter Frampton and had recorded some new tunes that were attracting label interest.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #3702
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
Herlocker ABatar MOJO

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Yep - one of the greatest voices in the history of Rock and Roll, and there was barely any mention of Marriott's death in what jokingly passed for music media at the time.

The really sad part for fans was that Steve had just reunited with Peter Frampton and had recorded some new tunes that were attracting label interest.
Boy I didn't know all that about how he died just read the wike , thats ****ty ... I had heard of him but being a little younger I didn't listen to much music of the 60/70s ...

I see Frampton all the time in Cincinnati ... for some reason he lives here ...
His wife is from here
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #3703
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post


Are you kidding me?

You said Marriott "blew out his voice."

Are you trying to say that this happened after "Rock On," i.e., that his voice went downhill from there?

I wonder if you're familiar with "Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore?"
I believe Rock On came out after the Fillmore live album (almost 100% sure of it, but admittingly it's been awhile). Anyways, you could hear his voice going on Smokin and well after that, it was pretty much over not only for his voice, but for the band as a whole (I'm no Peter Frampton fan but maybe he saw it as well, since he left pretty much around the same time as Marriott's voice started to go).

Look, I like Steve Marriott's vocals (I don't know anyone who doesn't) and I know this isn't going to be the popular opinion when it comes to Marriott here (way too much Frampton love in the thread for it) but I'll always perfer his days with The Small Faces to the Humble Pie material where his voice was intact and much better served.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #3704
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I believe Rock On came out after the Fillmore live album (almost 100% sure of it, but admittingly it's been awhile).
"Rock On" was HP's second album for A&M - the Fillmore album was #3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Anyways, you could hear his voice going on Smokin and well after that...


Not sure what you mean by "his voice going." Can you be more specific?

If you listen to not only "Smokin,'" but the next two records ("Eat It" and "Thunderbox") Marriott's voice is still in fine form.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #3705
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
"Rock On" was HP's second album for A&M - the Fillmore album was #3.
No matter. Fillmore and Rock On came out in the same year, so it's really splitting hairs. Lemme rephrase then and just say after the '71 releases.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "his voice going." Can you be more specific?

If you listen to not only "Smokin,'" but the next two records ("Eat It" and "Thunderbox") Marriott's voice is still in fine form.
I know there were signs of his vocal strain on the records following the '71 releases (understandable given the material and the legendary touring schedule).... but if it upsets you that much that I said that and really want me to name specific tracks, then you'll have to wait till I find someone with those release's because, as I said, it's been years since I've been through them and much perfer The Small Faces when it comes time to listen to Marriott's vocals. Humble Pie, to me, is pretty much an after thought.

Last edited by Hogan11; 07-29-2009 at 04:53 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 AM   #3706
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
No matter. Fillmore and Rock On came out in the same year, so it's really splitting hairs. Lemme rephrase then and just say after the '71 releases.
I'm well aware of when those records came out - I bought both of them new when they hit the record store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I know there were signs of his vocal strain on the records following the '71 releases (understandable given the material and the legendary touring schedule).... but if it upsets you that much that I said that and really want me to name specific tracks...
Not upset - just not sure what you mean.

I would need more of an explanation (in musical terms, preferably) as to why you think his voice was already going downhill on "Smokin'"" and the subsequent two releases I mentioned.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #3707
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Not upset - just not sure what you mean.

I would need more of an explanation (in musical terms, preferably) as to why you think his voice was already going downhill on "Smokin'"" and the subsequent two releases I mentioned.
Well, I suppose I could get in contact with a vocal pedagogist somewhere who could explain what I'm talking about in terms of pitch, tone, octaves or whatever.....but c'mon, you could just hear it the same way you could hear say Jim Morrison's voice go on L.A. Woman or Lou Reed's go on Rock And Roll Heart (the two examples that come immediately to mind) ...and no, I'm not comparing either of them vocally to Marriott, I'm just providing examples of other vocalists whom you can actually hear lose their vocals on record. Smokin' is how I remember hearing it with Marriott anyways, whether you think it happened later on or not is completely up to you.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #3708
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Well, I suppose I could get in contact with a vocal pedagogist somewhere who could explain what I'm talking about in terms of pitch, tone, octaves or whatever.....
That might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post

...but c'mon, you could just hear it the same way you could hear say Jim Morrison's voice go on L.A. Woman or Lou Reed's go on Rock And Roll Heart (the two examples that come immediately to mind) ...and no, I'm not comparing either of them vocally to Marriott, I'm just providing examples of other vocalists whom you can actually hear lose their vocals on record. Smokin' is how I remember hearing it with Marriott anyways, whether you think it happened later on or not is completely up to you.
I'm not denying that his voice deteriorated - I'm just disagreeing with your assessment of when it happened.

If you listen to the three albums HP released after "Rockin' the Fillmore" you can hear (hopefully) that Marriott's voice is still in fine form.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 AM   #3709
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
Herlocker ABatar MOJO

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,325
Default

Been listening to the hell out of this cd of late ... one of those you played it tons and then don't touch it for 10 years things ... Not in my top 5 but in the honorable mention category and if they only had made some more music like what was on that CD ...

BUT BOY THIS WAS PRODUCED LIKE A SOB ... their tone was KILLER on this cd ...


I was always told I sounded like the guy from Armored Saint who I didn't listen to... Then John Bush (singer) joined Anthrax and WOW did I love Sound of White Noise , and if I sound like that guy I'm not arguing ... Cause he goes OFF in this cd ...




TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #3710
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
One of the best unhearlded bands out there today....there's a reason why people as diverse as Jon Spencer and John Doe seek them out as backing musicians. Good clip!

FWIW, the Beachland is one of my fave venues on the face of the Earth.
I was at one of those music festivals I like to frequent and saw these guys on the schedule. Never heard of them before and thought I would give them a listen to. But instantly they had me hooked on their music and energetic antics.

When their set was finished I rushed back to the main stage and spent the next hour listening to Donna The Buffalo.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #3711
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
That might help.
I really hope you're kidding with that, because I surely was.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #3712
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
I was at one of those music festivals I like to frequent and saw these guys on the schedule. Never heard of them before and thought I would give them a listen to. But instantly they had me hooked on their music and energetic antics.

When their set was finished I rushed back to the main stage and spent the next hour listening to Donna The Buffalo.
Got a friend who's a proud member of The Herd and does his Deadlike following of DOB around whenever he can. I've never really cared all that much for DOB other than when they go into zydeco mode, they're nice people though if you ever get to meet them.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #3713
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
I'm not denying that his voice deteriorated - I'm just disagreeing with your assessment of when it happened.

If you listen to the three albums HP released after "Rockin' the Fillmore" you can hear (hopefully) that Marriott's voice is still in fine form.
That's not how I remember it but we'll just have to agree to disagree on that I guess.

How do you feel about The Small Faces? I'm guessing the style of Humble Pie is much more to your liking, but your appreciation of Marriott's voice must've led you into checking it out at some point.....just curious is all, since you've never seemed to have discussed them.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #3714
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
That's not how I remember it but we'll just have to agree to disagree on that I guess.
How you "remember" it?

How old were you c. '71-'74?

How many times did you see Humble Pie in concert during that period?

Without reaching for Google, can you name all of the band's post-Frampton LPs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
How do you feel about The Small Faces? I'm guessing the style of Humble Pie is much more to your liking, but your appreciation of Marriott's voice must've led you into checking it out at some point.....just curious is all, since you've never seemed to have discussed them.
I've always dug the Small Faces.

As a matter of fact, I was just watching the "For All the Right Reasons: The Life and Times of Steve Marriott" DVD the other night and marveling at how great (and underexposed in the states) that band was.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #3715
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
How you "remember" it?

How old were you c. '71-'74?

How many times did you see Humble Pie in concert during that period?

Without reaching for Google, can you name all of the band's post-Frampton LPs?
Remembered it as in when I heard the albums in question, which was (again admittingly) awhile ago (probably 10 to 15 years if I had to put a time frame on it) since I was not all that big on Humble Pie.

I was 10 at the time in question ('74), never saw them in concert and I totally fail to see what relevance any of that has to the discussion.

As for the post-Frampton albums, without looking, Smokin', Thunderbox, Eat It & Street Rats....although, once again, it's been awhile so don't be too surprised if I've missed one or two there.



Quote:
I've always dug the Small Faces.

As a matter of fact, I was just watching the "For All the Right Reasons: The Life and Times of Steve Marriott" DVD the other night and marveling at how great (and underexposed in the states) that band was.
Well, it appears we can agree on this at least.

Last edited by Hogan11; 08-01-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #3716
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I was 10 at the time in question ('74), never saw them in concert and I totally fail to see what relevance any of that has to the discussion.
It's relevant insofar as you said "that's how I remember it."

In other words, you implied that your assessment of the state of Marriott's voice during the time frame in question was based on direct experience.

(BTW, the time frame actually starts in '71 insofar as your original assertion was that Marriott's voice started going downhill after "Rock On.")

Turns out that the "direct experience" in this case ~= "listened to the post-PF records (10-15 years ago) but never actually saw the band in concert during the aforementioned period."

FWIW, I saw HP live about a half dozen times between '71 and '74, and, although Marriott had a couple of sub-par nights (just like the rest of 'em) I can assure you that his voice was in fine form.

If you really think Marriott's voice was burned out after "Rock On," then you might want to have a listen to the live version of "Honky Tonk Women" from "Eat It" (1973.) That might be enough to make you to re-think your position (remember - there was no auto-tune or Pro Tools back in those days!)
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #3717
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
80smith's Avatar
 
Love me some grilled food!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 843
Default



Not to be mean or anything but this if for apaops5. Its a good thing.....
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #3718
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
It's relevant insofar as you said "that's how I remember it."

In other words, you implied that your assessment of the state of Marriott's voice during the time frame in question was based on direct experience.

(BTW, the time frame actually starts in '71 insofar as your original assertion was that Marriott's voice started going downhill after "Rock On.")

Turns out that the "direct experience" in this case ~= "listened to the post-PF records (10-15 years ago) but never actually saw the band in concert during the aforementioned period."

FWIW, I saw HP live about a half dozen times between '71 and '74, and, although Marriott had a couple of sub-par nights (just like the rest of 'em) I can assure you that his voice was in fine form.
Oh, so now, because I never saw the band in concert or because I "wasn't there at the time", I cannot make a fair assessment based upon the recorded material left behind? C'mon, this stuff, coupled with your insistance upon hammering upon a cronological mistake I made, admitted to and then corrected in saying since the '71 releases (which you've since chose to ignore for conveinece) brings you into Mock-like debating territory. You're better than that, just say "I don't see it that way" and move on.

Quote:
If you really think Marriott's voice was burned out after "Rock On," then you might want to have a listen to the live version of "Honky Tonk Women" from "Eat It" (1973.) That might be enough to make you to re-think your position (remember - there was no auto-tune or Pro Tools back in those days!)
Again, IMHO, His voice and the band as a whole were in decline after the '71 releases.

Incidently, I do remember the live sides of "Eat It" quite well and it won't do a thing to alter my position...to put it kindly.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #3719
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
At Unbelievers

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,913

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

tuneglue is where it's at.

I have like 10 hours of driving tomorrow, just downloaded 7 discographies of suggestions.

tuneglue owns and almost always points me in the right direction.

I just picked up Hinder, Ill Nino, SOiL, Taproot, Evan's Blue, and Skillet, and a few others, gonna see how they work for me
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #3720
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Oh, so now, because I never saw the band in concert or because I "wasn't there at the time", I cannot make a fair assessment based upon the recorded material left behind?
I didn't say you couldn't make some sort of assessment - I just questioned the basis for your assessment (inasmuch as you stated "that's how I remember it.")

Remember what?

A singer you never even heard in concert during the specified time frame?

How can you really assess the merits of a vocalist from a strong position when you've never even heard him perform live?

If all you have to base your opinion on is three records, then do you really have a complete enough picture of a performing artist?

And what of those three records?

You have yet to point to specific examples or tracks that would make your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Again, IMHO, His voice and the band as a whole were in decline after the '71 releases.
His voice? No.

The band? Definitely. Frampton's departure marked the beginning of the end of the band insofar as Marriott replaced him with a mediocre, totally generic guitarist with a very limited skill set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Incidently, I do remember the live sides of "Eat It" quite well and it won't do a thing to alter my position...to put it kindly.
OK, if you remember that record "quite well," then you should be able to offer some specifics as to what, in your assessment, was wrong with Marriott's voice?

Pitch problems? Range? Phrasing? Timing?

Examples would help.

In the meantime, listen to that Stones cover I mentioned - it's a powerhouse performance by Marriott.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 AM   #3721
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I really hope you're kidding with that, because I surely was.
Yes and no.

You don't have to be a vocal pedagogue (or whatever it was you said) to answer my questions - you just need to know something about music.

If I say "so-and-so" sucked on guitar last night, anyone with even a basic understanding of music could ask me "Why? Was he out of tune? Did he come in on the wrong beat(s)? Did his tone sound like it was endorsed by Norelco?, etc., etc.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #3722
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,394
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #3723
jadelee
Just Drafted
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

New Divide - Linkin Park

--------------

feel the power of attorney

Last edited by jadelee; 08-07-2009 at 12:36 AM..
jadelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #3724
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
I didn't say you couldn't make some sort of assessment - I just questioned the basis for your assessment (inasmuch as you stated "that's how I remember it.")

Remember what? blah, blah, blah, blah....
Tell you what, next time I run into the albums in question (because I'm not about to actively seek them out over this nonsense), I'll give you a full, detailed report complete with eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #3725
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
You don't have to be a vocal pedagogue (or whatever it was you said) to answer my questions - you just need to know something about music.
It's always the same thing with you, if someone doesn't agree with the ubermusician, then they don't know anything about music...well **** you and your condescending bullshat, I'm out.

Oh sorry, almost forgot the smilie

Last edited by Hogan11; 08-05-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Denver Broncos