The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Alphonso Smith - Class Act

Credit MileHighReport on the find

http://www.timescall.com/Sports_Story.asp?ID=17130

Making a difference
Broncos rookie Alphonso Smith spent part of the summer of 2008 working with the Nyanya Project in Africa

By Brian Howell
© 2009 Longmont Times-Call

Several time zones away from home — listening to a language he didn’t understand and surrounded by the type of poverty he’d never seen — Alphonso Smith got an opportunity he’ll never forget.

“It’s something that everyone, if they have the opportunity, should take advantage of,” Smith said.

A second-round draft choice of the Denver Broncos in April, Smith is set to begin his rookie year when training camp opens later this month. For the 5-foot-9, 190-pound cornerback, football has been a way of life since his youth.

One of the greatest experiences of his life, however, was acquired away from the field, in an impoverished village just outside of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

In June of 2008, Smith and two of his Wake Forest University teammates — Kevin Patterson and Chantz McClinic — took an opportunity to be a part of the Nyanya Project and help a set of grandmothers in the village of Kawe.

Wake Forest faculty member Mary Martin Niepold started the Nyanya Project two years ago (the grandmothers are called “nyanya” in Swahili) after volunteering in Kenyan orphanages.

After learning about Niepold’s first trip to Africa, in 2007, Smith and his teammates inquired about helping out, and then jumped at the chance to go.

“Being an African American, when it comes down to it, that’s where my ancestors are from,” Smith said. “Just to have a chance to go and not only to go, but to assist people and help people who are in need (meant a lot).”

In 2008, Niepold led a team of 20 to help train several Tanzanian grandmothers — most of whom are taking care of children orphaned because their parents died of AIDS — to make crafts and learn how to market them. The group also built a shelter for several of those grandmothers.

In Dar es Salaam, Smith and his teammates were miles away from the Winston-Salem, N.C., campus where they were given a measure of celebrity status as football players.

It was a different feeling for Smith, who’s grown used to being a star.

He stood out on his pee wee league team in Pahokee, Fla. In high school, he shined at cornerback and quarterback — in fact, he could have played quarterback in college, at Indiana, but knew his future was at defensive back. He wound up at Wake Forest, where his 21 career interceptions set an Atlantic Coast Conference record.

Then, in April, the Broncos thought so much of Smith that they traded a first-round pick in the 2010 draft to jump up and snag him in the second round.

Without question, Smith’s been on the NFL path for years. But, while Smith has proven he’s a remarkable talent, he’s also got an oversized heart.

Smith has been involved with the Santa’s Helper program at Wake Forest, wrapping and delivering presents to children in Winston-Salem. He has also donated his time to speak at high schools.

Joining the Nyanya Project gave Smith an opportunity to help others on a new level, and Niepold was glad to have him on board.

“You can’t help but love him,” said Niepold, who refers to Smith as “Zo.”

The people in the Kawe village were drawn to him quickly.

“Alphonso is so outgoing,” Niepold said. “When we got over there, he was doing push-up contests with the kids in the village. He was teaching them how to do certain dances, he was singing with them. The guys were really involved with the kids in the village where we were building the house.”

On one occasion, Niepold saw Smith outside a sculpture shop. He couldn’t understand the Swahili spoken by the natives, and they probably couldn’t understand him. It didn’t matter. Smith started rapping and dancing. The African people outside the shop gave him a drum beat.

“He doesn’t know a stranger,” Niepold said.

Smith doesn’t shy away from hard work, either. One of the main purposes of the trip was to build a shelter for a set of grandmothers in the Kawe village.

The grandmothers’ existing shelter was nearly destroyed — three of the four walls of the one-room building were down and the roof was caved in.

“The elderly grandmothers were sleeping in one corner,” Niepold said. “It was so in disrepair that the villagers had begun shunning the grandmothers. They looked depressed.”

The first order of business in building the shelter was to finish tearing down the old one. Smith, Patterson and McClinic got together and shoved the last remaining wall to the ground.

“The whole wall just went completely down and they just brushed their hands and said, ‘We can do this,’” Niepold said.

From there, the group rebuilt a new shelter. This time, it was four rooms and, by the time it was done, the grandmothers had a lot more than a new place to live. They had a new level of respect from the villagers.

“It gave them not only a safe shelter, but dignity,” Niepold.

Smith got something from the experience, too. He developed a newfound appreciation for life in the United States.

“The great thing about it is, I’ve never encountered people who are as happy as they are,” Smith said. “Even though they struggle and they are going through a lot and they don’t have the resources that we have in America, they’re still happy. It kind of humbled me a lot and it was just a great experience.

“It’s something that you learn about in school, and just to have a chance to visit the continent and to visit Tanzania and to do some charity work on top of it was just refreshing. It was a great opportunity for me and the other guys.”

Niepold was especially pleased to see Smith and his teammates take full advantage of the opportunity.

“I sort of designed the trip so that they would have a learning experience,” she said. “None of them really knew what to expect.

“It was all that I hoped it would be as an experience that would change the lives of the student-athletes. I am totally convinced that it moved them deeply.”

Without question, the experience has impacted Smith.

“It humbled me a lot,” he said. “It made me realize that we’re so blessed. The poorest person in America would be rich over there. It humbles you.”

Perhaps more than ever, Smith appreciates his opportunity to play football, and the doors the sport has opened for him.

A year removed from his life-changing trip to Dar es Salaam, Smith also appreciates the struggles of those around the world. And, if he’s lucky, he’ll get to help them again some day.

“If I had a chance to go back,” he said, “I’m definitely going to take another trip to Africa.”

Brian Howell can be reached at bhowell@times-call.com.
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Awesome ... love that guy.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I like Alphonso, he'll be quality.
Doggcow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I reported on this a while back: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...ya#post2427612

He's an intriguing human interest story for sure...pix of him in Kenya below:

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 07-19-2009 at 05:23 PM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
meangene
Ring of Famer

But, but, but he is only 5'9" and we gave up our first round pick next year which will surely be in the top five!

Seriously, he is as good a football player as he is a person. He will be a great player for us!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Lot's of good guys sitting on the bench. Crack the starting lineup and then do the fluff piece.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
Lot's of good guys sitting on the bench. Crack the starting lineup and then do the fluff piece.
It's not a fluff piece, it's a human interest piece. Fluff would be a bunch of meaningless cliche quotes and some unjustified opinion from a sports writer about how he might be the next Deon.

I don't know if he's the truth or not in the NFL but he's a very interesting guy with a colorful background and a character guy as well.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

It happens every year, we hear about our wonderfull draft picks and what good people they are. Right until they get cut, ride the bench or the next offseason when the bust word is mentioned.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
It happens every year, we hear about our wonderfull draft picks and what good people they are. Right until they get cut, ride the bench or the next offseason when the bust word is mentioned.
Yeah, like Eddie Royal last year. We reached for him, he was too small etc.

This **** is exactly like the eddie royal deal last year.
Doggcow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I would have to agree. Lets not anoint him and put flowers before his feet just yet. The guys a good guy, how WONDERFUL! SUPERBOWL here we come
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
I would have to agree. Lets not anoint him and put flowers before his feet just yet. The guys a good guy, how WONDERFUL! SUPERBOWL here we come
are you guys serious? the article is about his character and personality, hes a great person. its kinda nice having good quality people on the team.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

I bet he gets 13 interceptions by the end of his third year here.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Yea, and some of those players are indeed good people, good players and interesting stories. Some aren't.

This b****ing about "fluff pieces" is a tired cliche around here.

It's off-season, folks. This is what writers write about. In this case, it's a pretty interesting story.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Exactly, meaning every coach has dumba$$ picks every once in a while(including shanny), heres to hoping smith isn't one of those picks.
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
are you guys serious? the article is about his character and personality, hes a great person. its kinda nice having good quality people on the team.
name a team that has a majority of "good people" starting on Sundays. Then we can talk if it means anything
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
name a team that has a majority of "good people" starting on Sundays. Then we can talk if it means anything
Don't really know much about other teams and don't really give a sh*t, but I can say that during our superbowl years we had alot of "good people" guys on the team and that worked out pretty good for us!!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
when did i reference him starting on sundays? his credentials speak for himself, i was talking about not having your travis henry characters anymore. brandon marshall is tiptoeing that line.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

To those complaining about "fluff" pieces. Would you rather hear about our great character rookies every year or deal with more Travis Henry articles? It's the offseason. We get these articles or the Henry articles. Your choice.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

The point is character only seems to matter if you can make the team and an impact. There were plenty of great guys on the team last year, till they got cut.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #20
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Yes it does...and I'm one whose continuously complained about fluff journalism in here...but this isn't fluff it's human interest. This guy actually does have a unique and interesting background you don't find every day.

So what's the issue again?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The point is character only seems to matter if you can make the team and an impact. There were plenty of great guys on the team last year, till they got cut.
we gave our first next year for him. not only is he gauranteed a roster spot and to be active on gamedays, reports are he will lock up nickel back duties in TC. so we gave up a first next year for a guy who will make the team and contribute on more then half the defensive plays and be groomed to be a fulltime starter. pretty good if you ask me.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #22
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Yes it is. It is a great bonus. He's kind of in the mold of a Foxworth (from a character POV). But....at the end of the day, he will be judged by whether he's a productive defensive player and whether he was worth giving up a 1st rounder for.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #23
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Well since we cant judge his football prowess yet in the NFL, I'll take this and be happy.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Yes it is. It is a great bonus. He's kind of in the mold of a Foxworth (from a character POV). But....at the end of the day, he will be judged by whether he's a productive defensive player and whether he was worth giving up a 1st rounder for.
i agree. but until we can see him on the field, it doesnt hurt to read about his background etc
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #25
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
i agree. but until we can see him on the field, it doesnt hurt to read about his background etc
I agree.