The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #726
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,116

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Right now I'm reading "Standing With Israel" its a great book about how the Evangelical church is the biggest supporter of the State of Israel. It goes into the history of Christianity and Judaism and how the two have intertwined over the centuries.

I'm a big supporter of Israel and I guess you can call me a fundamentalist Christian too.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #727
No1BroncoFan
Old School
 
No1BroncoFan's Avatar
 
If you have to ask, you don't know

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cq1 View Post
If you are into sci-fi, I can recommend this audio book, "The Rookie" by Scott Sigler. It is about an intergalactic American football league. Very entertaining.

http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-rookie
I am definitely a sci-fi fan, or I should say sci-fi/fantasy, but will read almost anything that falls into my hands. I got the latest from Richard North Patterson, "Eclipse," on yesterday's trip to the library. Now I just need to finish up "Vigilant" by James Alan Gardner (great sci-fi author) so I can get to it.

I'll have to check out "The Rookie" in the near future.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #728
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,278
Default

I finished up "The Lie" by Chad Kultgen....a funny and lewd read.

I am now reading "The Ice Limit" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 AM   #729
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExShanahan View Post
Being that my primary income is from online book selling. I come upon several cool books. The best I have read this year is being turned into a TV series on ABC to follow lost. It is called Flash Forward by Robert Sawyer. The premise is awesome. They finally turn on the Hadron Collider and everybody on earth flashes forward and experiences twenty minutes of their lives in the future. The problem is everyone blacks out so planes crash and cars crash. But the visions people have change everything. One man does not see anything and it turns out that he is killed, using the flash forwards of others he tries to solve his own murder.
sounds like sci fi channel to me.

Cool though I love stuff like this because I can totally get by the fact that the collider wont send you 20 minutes into future.

I really liked that book TIMELINE, the movie stink but the book was cool.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #730
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

May not be a lot of interest here but if you would like to read a life changing book that is a guide to understanding these exciting times and use them to be a fully realized human Being than read Presence Process by Michael Brown.



Another amazing work that will give you the scientific explaination of what we are going through right now is Gerg Braden's Fractal Time


Last edited by baja; 05-03-2009 at 06:33 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #731
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I really like Steve Berry! He's a great writer in the Dan Brown mold!

I'm somewhat of a art history nut....so Iain Pears is a personal favorite of mine. I also like M.J. Rose quite alot.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #732
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,278
Default

I just finished up 'All the Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy....excellent book....I need to read his other 2 books in the Border Trilogy.

Before that, I read 'Cemetery Dance' by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child....good read, but you should read the other Pendergast books in the series before this one.

I also read 'Average American Male' by Chad Kultgen. Good chick bashing book, but not as raunchy as his other novel, 'The Lie'.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #733
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,653
Default

Right now I am reading the Monster of Florence. Thomas Harris based Hannibal Lecter on this serial killer in Italy. Its a good book.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #734
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Last couple months:

The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
Saturday by Ian McEwan
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
After Dark by Haruki Murakami
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #735
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Last couple months:

The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
Saturday by Ian McEwan
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
After Dark by Haruki Murakami
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth

That's the one with Charles Lindbergh as a Nazi sympathizer because they kidnap his son?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #736
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
That's the one with Charles Lindbergh as a Nazi sympathizer because they kidnap his son?

Yeah, alternate history of early 1940s in which Lindbergh is elected president, cut ties with Britain, refuses to condemn Hitler, and begins subtly anti-semetic national programs within the states..

In real life Lindbergh was very friendly with the Nazis (they awarded him a medal), anti-semetic (strongly so in his private journals) and very non-interventionist in regards to WWII.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #737
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,979

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default



This is one of the better books on Rome I've read.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #738
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Right now I'm reading "Standing With Israel" its a great book about how the Evangelical church is the biggest supporter of the State of Israel. It goes into the history of Christianity and Judaism and how the two have intertwined over the centuries.

I'm a big supporter of Israel and I guess you can call me a fundamentalist Christian too.
I wish I knew a nice way to tell you -- so you would listen and take it to heart -- without reacting -- that you are an idiot for believing this nonsense -- taking the Bible literally.

Isn't this what fundamentalists do?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to put it in nice terms because discretion is not one of my strengths.

Suffice to say that the bible must be understood in the context in which it was written. This is where I lose fundamentalists. Their eyes glaze over.

Please do yourself a favor and check out the following books by two Israeli scholars. You can find both at amazon:

THE BIRTH OF ISRAEL by Simha Flapan

and

THE ETHNIC CLEANSING OF PALESTINE by Ilan Pappe

These books blow to smithereens what you THINK you know about this issue.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #739
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Presence Process by Michael Brown - Read this book become Enlightened

Bye for now........

Daavid
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #740
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Last couple months:

The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
Saturday by Ian McEwan
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
After Dark by Haruki Murakami
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth
Excellent books, all. The Friedman isn't so hot, but the rest are great. If you like Murakami, try the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. And you can't go wrong with McEwan. Imagine if McEwan was a comedic writer, and you'd have Mangus Mills. His "The Restraint of Beast" is wonderful.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #741
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,095

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
I wish I knew a nice way to tell you -- so you would listen and take it to heart -- without reacting -- that you are an idiot for believing this nonsense -- taking the Bible literally.

Isn't this what fundamentalists do?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to put it in nice terms because discretion is not one of my strengths.

Suffice to say that the bible must be understood in the context in which it was written. This is where I lose fundamentalists. Their eyes glaze over.

Please do yourself a favor and check out the following books by two Israeli scholars. You can find both at amazon:

THE BIRTH OF ISRAEL by Simha Flapan

and

THE ETHNIC CLEANSING OF PALESTINE by Ilan Pappe

These books blow to smithereens what you THINK you know about this issue.
I wrote My thesis in 1994 while using Flapan's work as a poor example of Middle eastern Bias journalism. If Pappe's work is along the same lines It will not convince anyone of anything. This was to fulfill my degree in East Asian/Middle Eastern History and Political Science.

As for the Bible, it was written over 2,000 years so I would love to hear what context that exactly is.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #742
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,375

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

"The Color of Lighning", Paulette Jiles.

Very intense.

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 07-04-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #743
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,375

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I just finished up 'All the Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy....excellent book....I need to read his other 2 books in the Border Trilogy.

Before that, I read 'Cemetery Dance' by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child....good read, but you should read the other Pendergast books in the series before this one.

I also read 'Average American Male' by Chad Kultgen. Good chick bashing book, but not as raunchy as his other novel, 'The Lie'.
'All the Pretty Horses' was pretty good. Check out 'The Color of Lightning'.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #744
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Excellent books, all. The Friedman isn't so hot, but the rest are great. If you like Murakami, try the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. And you can't go wrong with McEwan. Imagine if McEwan was a comedic writer, and you'd have Mangus Mills. His "The Restraint of Beast" is wonderful.
I'm set to read Kafka on the Shore next, and hopefully Wind-Up Bird sometime soon. I'll have to check out Mills.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #745
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I'm currently reading Gravity's Rainbow. Just make sure you're ready for it. Don't stray too far from a dictionary/wikipedia, either.
Pynchon's awful. I'm not sure why he gets all the pomo love, when Robert Coover, William H. Gass (Read the novella/long short story "Heart in the heart of the country" utterly brilliant), and Donald Barthelme absolutely own him.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #746
halfcreek
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
I'm set to read Kafka on the Shore next, and hopefully Wind-Up Bird sometime soon. I'll have to check out Mills.
I enjoyed Kafka and Wind-up Bird. Just finished Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Angel's Game. It does not quite match up to his Shadow of the Wind, which ranks right up there for an excellent read, but still very worthwhile. I have recommended Shadow of the Wind to 30+ people and they have all enjoyed it, except my mother-in-law, so you can't have a higher recommendation.
halfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #747
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I wrote My thesis in 1994 while using Flapan's work as a poor example of Middle eastern Bias journalism. If Pappe's work is along the same lines It will not convince anyone of anything. This was to fulfill my degree in East Asian/Middle Eastern History and Political Science.

As for the Bible, it was written over 2,000 years so I would love to hear what context that exactly is.
You must be kidding.

FYI, Flapan was NOT just a journalist -- he was a scholar - the Arab specialist for the MAPAM party - later absorbed into the Labor Party.

Flapan's book was a breakthrough piece of history -- and in part was based on David Ben Gurion's war memoirs and other Israeli government archives -- not previously available

all of which proved that the standard history about Israel -- as told in the movie Exodus -- was largely a fabrication -- essentially a piece of propaganda.

Zionists urged Flapan not to publish -- but he did anyway -- having lost faith with Zionism.

Indeed, this is the reason Ben Gurion's war memoirs have never been published in English. They have been suppressed by the Israeli government -- because Ben Gurion's own hand would explode everything we've been told.


MHG
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #748
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,454

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

I just finished "lords of finance, the bankers who broke the world" about the period between 1914ish and 1938.

Lots of stuff about the gold standard and how War Reperations and bank runs Affected the great depression.

Funny but people either never read history or we are condemend to repeat it...
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #749
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,375

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I wrote My thesis in 1994 while using Flapan's work as a poor example of Middle eastern Bias journalism. If Pappe's work is along the same lines It will not convince anyone of anything. This was to fulfill my degree in East Asian/Middle Eastern History and Political Science.

As for the Bible, it was written over 2,000 years so I would love to hear what context that exactly is.
Laqueur and Rubin 'The Israeli and Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict'. It's a compilation of historical documents.

Robert Byron's "The Road to Oxiana" is a good read about Persia, Afghanistan in the 1920's.

Richard Burton's "A Secret Pilgramage to Mecca and Medina" is self explanatory.

Also, a good read are:

"The Proud Tower" and "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman, both classics.

"The Source of the Nile" Richard Burton

William Russell's "A Special Correspondent to The London Times" is a good read for the Crimean War especially.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #750
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
'All the Pretty Horses' was pretty good. Check out 'The Color of Lightning'.
Thanks....I will check it out.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Denver Broncos