The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #951
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I didn't know they did that kinda surgery anymore ?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #952
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

I didn't know they did that kinda surgery anymore ?
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #953
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I started at 255 now down to 234, 15-20 more would be nice.

Then I just need to maintain.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #954
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
I started at 255 now down to 234, 15-20 more would be nice.

Then I just need to maintain.
Post pics, I'll tell you when to maintain.

Stop eating processed foods. That will chop your body fat in half, I guarantee it.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #955
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
well I am down to 214 pounds , I think the only way I can get down to 200 now is to have a penis reduction done ........
Spider,

Didn't the Doctors tell you that dividing by zero is impossible?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #956
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

Stop eating processed foods. That will chop your body fat in half, I guarantee it.
What?

But I LIKE my lean pockets!

Don't tell me canned foods count as "processed."
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #957
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
What?

But I LIKE my lean pockets!

Don't tell me canned foods count as "processed."
You seem to be doing a good enough job not to worry about it.

I'm cutting my weight right now... I'm at 18 lbs in less than a month right now and I've got about 6 more to go. I'm certain I've lost muscle with fat, but nothing I can't put back on quickly when summer ends and I dirty bulk again.

Personal suggestion to avoid needing lean pockets at all:

Buy 3 lbs of 96% lean ground beef, 3 cans of kidney beans, 4 cans of stewed tomatoes and make a massive vat of chili. Even though it's hyper lean, after you brown the beef, drain what little fat there is anyways.

Shove it in the fridge. Anytime you want a quick meal that's high protein, moderate carbs and low fat, you can throw some in the microwave.

Tastes a lot better than a lean pocket too.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #958
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:

I was absolutely shocked at how quickly this dropped the bodyfat... Granted it really helped me with my fast food hamburger addiction.

But in all seriousness cutting out the processed crap has been a blessing both in terms of cutting BF and feeling more "Healthy" overall.

On a side not my wife recently started on an organic kick... at 5'8" and already under 130 lbs she dropped to just under 125 lbs in a little over a month. I'm not sure if the removal of pestacides could really do this but I have read a number of studdies that show these chemicals do interupt the endrocine system.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #959
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I've been on Atkins since June 2 .... not much loss yet. Last time on Atkins I dropped 3-5 pounds in each of Weeks 3, 4 and 5. True story .... lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks.

You count carb intake, 20 carbs per day max. This time I've been a bit more lax, I've allowed 30 even 40 on a few days, but still ... I should be losing more.

Maybe I'll get tough about the 20 carb max.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #960
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

You know you'vce been on Atkins too long when even an $11 Trader Joe's ribeye tastes boring

Tunafish ... omelettes ... kielbasa .... egg salad ... grocery store chicken roaters ... hamburger patties ... steaks ... stir frys ....

Even this stuff gets old eventually
Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #961
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
I've been on Atkins since June 2 .... not much loss yet. Last time I dropped 4-5 pounds in Weeks 3, 4 and 5.

You count carb intake, 20 carbs per day max. This time I've been a bit more lax, I've allowed 30 even 40 on a few days, but still ... I should be losing more.

Maybe I'll get tough about the 20 max.
You need to... the way atkins works is based solely on ketogenisis. If you are even 1 gram of carbs over your individual threshold the body does everything it can to continue burning glucose for enegy.

If your going to do Atkins you need to do it to the letter.

By the way Alcohol breaks down a very important chemical called lipoprotien lipase. Without this enzyme the body can not breakdown fat. Specifically subcutaneous bodyfat. Point is, the booze is destroying the one chemical needed for ketogenisis to take place... add to that you are taking in approx. double the carbs the diet calls for.

I think we just figured out why it isn't working...
Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #962
TheDave
Sauced...

Buff,

Here is a pic that illustrates the process of Ketosis. The 2 problems you are running into right now are as follows:

Increased carb intake is maintaining insulin levels above optimum... this tells the body to remain on a sugar burning ATP cycle.

Next alchohol consumption halts the bodys from effectively breaking down fat cells into fatty acids.

These 2 things combined are making the Atkins diet useless... Add to that you are consuming significant amounts of dietary fat. With moderate insulin levels and elevated estrogeen levels (another bi-product of alchol) your body is actually accumulating fat.

By the way does that get me the flask... J/K

Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #963
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'll have to be more conscientious of my diet for the rest of my life, yes. I won't have to consume only 2100 calories a day for the rest of my life though. That's just my losing level. Once I get to my target, I'll be able to maintain my weight at a 3000 calorie per day average. That will be a piece of cake.
Unless you raise your basal metabolic rate, you won't be able to maintain your weight at 3000 calories.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #964
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
You need to... the way atkins works is based solely on ketogenisis. If you are even 1 gram of carbs over your individual threshold the body does everything it can to continue burning glucose for enegy.

If your going to do Atkins you need to do it to the letter.

By the way Alcohol breaks down a very important chemical called lipoprotien lipase. Without this enzyme the body can not breakdown fat. Specifically subcutaneous bodyfat. Point is, the booze is destroying the one chemical needed for ketogenisis to take place... add to that you are taking in approx. double the carbs the diet calls for.

That's exactly right. Even after you've been on these low carb diets for awhile you still can't increase your carb intake that high unless you're an extremely efficent fat burner. I've kept my carb intake down around 20g per day but allow a little leeway up to 30g per day.

Buff, did you ever read that PDF I sent you? That version of the low carb diet works a little better than Atkins and after the first two weeks you can eat whatever you want on the weekends. Looking forward to those weekends have kept me sane on this diet and it performs a very important function in the diet as it replenishes your glyocen levels. Also with the protein intake being low on the weekends it's been said that your body will make the most use out of the protein you take in starting on Mondays.

Also, TheDave is right about the alcohol too. It's the worst thing for a low carb diet, even worse than sugar. You ABSOLUTELY need to ban that from your diet (except for the weekends) no matter if it's a low carb light beer or not.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #965
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
That's exactly right. Even after you've been on these low carb diets for awhile you still can't increase your carb intake that high unless you're an extremely efficent fat burner. I've kept my carb intake down around 20g per day but allow a little leeway up to 30g per day.

Buff, did you ever read that PDF I sent you? That version of the low carb diet works a little better than Atkins and after the first two weeks you can eat whatever you want on the weekends. Looking forward to those weekends have kept me sane on this diet and it performs a very important function in the diet as it replenishes your glyocen levels. Also with the protein intake being low on the weekends it's been said that your body will make the most use out of the protein you take in starting on Mondays.

Also, TheDave is right about the alcohol too. It's the worst thing for a low carb diet, even worse than sugar. You ABSOLUTELY need to ban that from your diet (except for the weekends) no matter if it's a low carb light beer or not.
I tried your diet out for a while. I just had a really hard time keeping up my energy stores and I think I just had a hard time supplanting carbs and replacing them with other forms of calories. I did it for about 2.5 weeks and went back to my old diet. Not to knock it, I think my body just works well with my higher carb and protein intake.

I may give it another try after the summer, but gotta have the summer body for now!!
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #966
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

Really?! He must've left that part outta the book. I know beer is a no-no (although Bud Ice and Keystone have just 5 carbs), but Dave ... spirits have zero carbs!

And Atkins is actually working somewhat ... just not as well as the first time.

Thanks a lot Dave, seriously ... you really know this stuff cold. I appreciate the tutorial, and I will get tough on the carb count and report back here say, after the weekend of the 4th. Gotta drink more water too, that's important.

(Ketogenesis = ketosis = lypolisis ?)
Old 06-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #967
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Spider,

Didn't the Doctors tell you that dividing by zero is impossible?
no ,they left that part out
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #968
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Really?! He must've left that part outta the book. I know beer is a no-no (although Bud Ice and Keystone have just 5 carbs), but Dave ... spirits have zero carbs!
Like Dave said, the carbs in alcohol is really of no matter. The alcohol itself will kill this diet. That is why...

Quote:
Drop all the alcohol and you should be back to what you normally were at, weight loss wise.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #969
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
I tried your diet out for a while. I just had a really hard time keeping up my energy stores and I think I just had a hard time supplanting carbs and replacing them with other forms of calories. I did it for about 2.5 weeks and went back to my old diet. Not to knock it, I think my body just works well with my higher carb and protein intake.

I may give it another try after the summer, but gotta have the summer body for now!!
That's a shame. How many carbs were you taking in?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #970
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:

Thanks a lot Dave, seriously ... you really know this stuff cold. I appreciate the tutorial, and I will get tough on the carb count and report back here say, after the weekend of the 4th. Gotta drink more water too, that's important.

(Ketogenesis = ketosis = lypolisis ?)
It's not the problem of alcohol having carbs... It's solely a function of it's effect on lipoprotien lipase. With out that enzyme the body is SEVER LY hampered in it's conversion of fat cells into fatty acids that can be used for energy.

Lipolysis is a part of the ketogenic process... Lypolisys is the act of breaking down a fat cell into it's individual fatty acids. Ketosis occurs once the liver begins to produce ketone bodies that are used in the conversion of fatty acids into energy.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #971
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
It's not the problem of alcohol having carbs... It's solely a function of it's effect on lipoprotien lipase. With out that enzyme the body is SEVER LY hampered in it's conversion of fat cells into fatty acids that can be used for energy.

Lipolysis is a part of the ketogenic process... Lypolisys is the act of breaking down a fat cell into it's individual fatty acids. Ketosis occurs once the liver begins to produce ketone bodies that are used in the conversion of fatty acids into energy.
Thanks ... good info. But really, 30-40 carbs is too many? I weigh 260 pounds, does that matter? I did put the bottle down right away though.

And the down side to me stopping drinking? A lot fewer flasks to give away ... did'ja even think about that before you posted this Dave?

No you didn't, because you're selfish.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #972
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Thanks ... good info. But really, 30-40 carbs is too many? I weigh 260 pounds, does that matter? I did put the bottle down right away though.

And the down side to me stopping drinking? A lot fewer flasks to give away ... did'ja even think about that before you posted this Dave?

No you didn't, because you're selfish.

Thats just how I roll...

As for the carbs, to be honest 30-40 at 260 assuming a moderate exercise load... no that doesn't sound like too many.

For an easy way to find out, get some Ketostix from your local phamacy. They test the level of ketone bodies in the urine. This will tell you for sure if 30-40 grams is too much.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #973
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
You seem to be doing a good enough job not to worry about it.

I'm cutting my weight right now... I'm at 18 lbs in less than a month right now and I've got about 6 more to go. I'm certain I've lost muscle with fat, but nothing I can't put back on quickly when summer ends and I dirty bulk again.

Personal suggestion to avoid needing lean pockets at all:

Buy 3 lbs of 96% lean ground beef, 3 cans of kidney beans, 4 cans of stewed tomatoes and make a massive vat of chili. Even though it's hyper lean, after you brown the beef, drain what little fat there is anyways.

Shove it in the fridge. Anytime you want a quick meal that's high protein, moderate carbs and low fat, you can throw some in the microwave.

Tastes a lot better than a lean pocket too.
I do that already, but use ground turkey or ground chicken instead. You can also add black beans to increase fiber and protein to the meal.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #974
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Thanks ... good info. But really, 30-40 carbs is too many?
At first, yes. You should be shooting for under 20g a day ideally, but if you end up with between 20 to 30 grams you will be fine. Once you're really fat adapted, then you can SLOWLY add some carbs back in, but not very many.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #975
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
For an easy way to find out, get some Ketostix from your local phamacy. They test the level of ketone bodies in the urine. This will tell you for sure if 30-40 grams is too much.

I might buy those thing today ... but, how much are they? Cause I don't really need them, I'm sub 20 a day ever since you threw that wet blanket over me

Question for you and Florida: The first time I did Atkins I was a sub-20-carbs stickler for 18-19 days, then went back to a basically normal diet.

DURING those 18 days I lost just a couple pounds. But after that ... in weeks 4 and 5 after starting, while eating a normal diet, THAT'S when the pounds started falling off, just FALLING off. Jeans that were tight one day were actually falling down a week later. Lost 20+ pounds in about six weeks from just those 18 days.

So, is there some kind of delayed effect?