The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default There's No "Jay" in T.E.A.M: Denver's New-Look Offense will Flourish

When Josh McDaniels took the reins of the Denver Broncos, it became an expectation and not just a possibility that the second ranked offense in the NFL would vault itself to an elite level.

Coming from the Patriots, McDaniels has a reputation as one of the brilliant young offensive minds in the league. In 2007, he orchestrated arguably the best offense in the history of the game.

Tom Brady and the New England Patriots averaged nearly 37 points per game, 411.2 yards per game, and they were second in the NFL in time of possession per contest at 33:29.

While many are taken aback by the trade of Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler, McDaniels' past indicates that Denver has no reason to worry with Kyle Orton under center.

Denver's new head coach has coordinated the best season of arguably the top quarterback of all time in Tom Brady, and coached Matt Cassel, who had not started a game since his days in high school, to a Pro Bowl caliber season and an 11-5 record.

So what has Denver fans worried?

Is the prototypical "Patriot" quarterback not one who is extremely unathletic with the "it" factor, and a winning mentality?

McDaniels' new offense will include a mix of the zone blocking Denver fans know and love, as well as some of that Patriot flavor that has created one of the most dominant dynasties this decade.

If Kyle Orton does not succeed in Denver, it will not be for a lack of playmakers around him.

Orton is inheriting an offensive line that only allowed 11.5 sacks in 620 pass attempts in 2008, best in the NFL. In the New England style of offense, which is extremely pass heavy, Orton is going to need the help of the big men up front.

Coached by Rick Dennison, a former Broncos linebacker, the Broncos' offensive line has had a reputation over the last eight years of being one of the league's best, and under his tutelage, that tradition figures to continue on.

Aside from Cutler, the only other big change to Denver's offense was at the running back position.

For the last decade and a half, the Denver Broncos have dominated the NFL in rushing, and under the tutelage of running backs coach Bobby Turner, they have led the NFL in rushing over that time span with 30,993 yards on the ground.

After a year in which the Broncos finished the season ranked a disappointing but respectable 12th in rushing, Josh McDaniels has brought in a good mix of veterans and youngsters to carry on the great running back tradition in Denver.

Since Turner was retained from Mike Shanahan's staff, McDaniels figures to implement some of the "one cut and go" style of running into his pass-first scheme, which could prove to be deadly for opponents.

After seven running backs went on Denver's injured reserve in 2008, McDaniels made it a priority this off-season to overhaul that particular position.

In free agency, he brought in veterans Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington, LaMont Jordan, and Darius Walker. Then, with their first pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, Denver selected Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno.

Add in the fact that Denver already had two promising 2008 draft picks in Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis at the running back position, and the Broncos automatically feature one of the most versatile and deep groups of running backs in the National Football League.

In addition to fitting the one-cut-and-go style, each of the backs McDaniels has added is extremely effective in catching the ball out of the backfield, which is essential to the Patriots' offense.

When one of these runners is not on the field, Kyle Orton will have a great array of weapons to throw the ball to.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall leads a group of wide receivers that could rival any pass catching core in the league.

New wide receivers coach Adam Gase has the privilege of coaching a group that, in addition to Marshall, features rookie sensation Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Jabar Gaffney, rookie Kenny McKinley, and Chad Jackson.

Gase's background as an offensive assistant is West-Coast oriented, being a pupil of the great offensive mind Mike Martz in Detroit and San Francisco. In 2008, Gase's receiving group in San Francisco dropped only 21 passes all season, good for sixth in the NFL.

Along with a strong core of wide receivers, the Broncos feature a very potent trio of tight ends.

Led by former Chargers and Falcons tight ends coach Clancy Barone, the Broncos figure to have one of the more consistent and well-rounded groups of tight ends in the league.

Daniel Graham, Tony Scheffler, and rookie Richard Quinn all will have major roles in the offense this year.

While Graham and Quinn specialize in blocking, neither are slouches in the receiving game. Scheffler is widely regarded as one of the top receiving tight ends in the game, but struggles to stay healthy.

Barone has developed the likes of Antonio Gates and Alge Crumpler at this position, so Denver's group appears to be in good hands.

Combining the knowledge of each of these coaches could be very beneficial for the Broncos. It seems that each player on the offense was hand picked to fit the specialty of each and every position coach.

Only time will tell, but maybe the loss of Jay Cutler was not such a bad thing for the Broncos.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...lourish/page/2
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondawg View Post
If Kyle Orton does not succeed in Denver, it will not be for a lack of playmakers around him.

Orton is inheriting an offensive line that only allowed 11.5 sacks in 620 pass attempts in 2008, best in the NFL. In the New England style of offense, which is extremely pass heavy, Orton is going to need the help of the big men up front.

When one of these runners is not on the field, Kyle Orton will have a great array of weapons to throw the ball to.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall leads a group of wide receivers that could rival any pass catching core in the league.

New wide receivers coach Adam Gase has the privilege of coaching a group that, in addition to Marshall, features rookie sensation Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Jabar Gaffney, rookie Kenny McKinley, and Chad Jackson.

Combining the knowledge of each of these coaches could be very beneficial for the Broncos. It seems that each player on the offense was hand picked to fit the specialty of each and every position coach.

Only time will tell, but maybe the loss of Jay Cutler was not such a bad thing for the Broncos.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...lourish/page/2

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

We'll see--but I am not willing to put any $$$ on it.........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Cue the clucking hens...
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Cue the clucking hens...
You're already here Popps ...

Old 05-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

I like our chances with McDaniels and am optimistic the offense will be more effective in the red zone.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
You're already here Popps ...

Oh no you di'int!
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

If we get our running game going, Orton will be fine. He's not obsessed with showing people his arm strength and taking ridiculous chances with the pass. Lovie Smith was seemingly determined that Rex Grossman was going to be the starter. When Orton finally got his chance, he made the most of it. That's the difference. I think Shanahan promised Cutler the starting job ASAP. Orton had to work to prove himself...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
If we get our running game going, Orton will be fine. He's not obsessed with showing people his arm strength and taking ridiculous chances with the pass. Lovie Smith was seemingly determined that Rex Grossman was going to be the starter. When Orton finally got his chance, he made the most of it. That's the difference. I think Shanahan promised Cutler the starting job ASAP. Orton had to work to prove himself...
once again ...

Old 05-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Lots of words to rationalize why we're better even though we lost a pro bowl QB.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Pro Bowl QB, yes. Playoff QB, no.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Pro Bowl QB, yes. Playoff QB, no.
People used to say Manning (both of them) couldn't win a championship.

Stupid logic.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i honestly believe this years offense is going to make everyone forget about the Cutler led offense from last season. we will have a dominant running game, Orton isn't going to make as many ill-advised passes that end badly for us. this team will be loads better than last years.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I'm gonna need an address for a shop that sells Crow so I can serve it up here in big batches this year.

I am taking names and you will have reservations.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
People used to say Manning (both of them) couldn't win a championship.

Stupid logic.
At least Manning got his teams in the playoffs and had more wins than losses. His defenses were just as bad as ours, too.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Any one else notice there was not ONE WORD about the defense, but alot of talk of "inheriting' players.

Take my name. 6-10 and we give Seattle the 9th pick.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #18
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
At least Manning got his teams in the playoffs and had more wins than losses. His defenses were just as bad as ours, too.
Really just not true.The only time their D gave up over 400 pts they went 6-10 with the great Peyton Manning otherwise their D gave up at most 22.5 ppg far below the 27 we gave up over the last 2 1/2 years

If you want to take the time to look over the last 25 years. teams that give up over 400 points on D avg 4 wins a year. That stat says alot about Jay Cutler
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i honestly believe this years offense is going to make everyone forget about the Cutler led offense from last season. we will have a dominant running game, Orton isn't going to make as many ill-advised passes that end badly for us. this team will be loads better than last years.
I'll drink to that! I aint holdin my breath, but I will drink to that.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #20
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
I demand that your avatar stands up.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #21
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Cmon now your really reaching. Are we really going to blame Jay for not getting what was probably the worse defense in the history of the franchise into the playoffs in what only his 3rd year in the league. I'm curious to see what Orton can do in this new system as well but lets not go overboard on the Jay really wasn't that good argument...
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I'm afraid you're wrong. With defenses that ranked where ours did with Cutler, Manning went 9-23 and Cutler went 15-17...you lose.

Denver Broncos Defensive Rank and Won-Lost Record:

Points/Yards/Record

2007: 28th/19th (7-9)
2008: 30th/29th (8-8)

Indianapolis Colts Defensive Rank and Won-Lost Record:

Points/Yards/Record

1998: 29th/29th (3-13)
1999: 17th/15th (13-3, lost first round)
2000: 15th/21st (10-6, lost first round)
2001: 31st/29th (6-10)
2002: 7th/8th (10-6, lost first round)
2003: 20th/11th (12-4, lost AFC Championship Game)
2004: 19th/20th (12-4, lost second round)
2005: 2nd/11th (14-2, lost AFC Championship Game)
2006: 23rd/21st (12-4, won Super Bowl)
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
If we get our running game going, Orton will be fine. He's not obsessed with showing people his arm strength and taking ridiculous chances with the pass.

Lovie Smith was seemingly determined that Rex Grossman was going to be the starter. When Orton finally got his chance, he made the most of it. That's the difference. I think Shanahan promised Cutler the starting job ASAP. Orton had to work to prove himself...
Orton was so highly prized in Chicago that they brought SOB in and thought he was going to be the answer.

Orton got his shot with DA BEARS last year, he did good until he had to play on bum ankle.

Then this year Lovie decideds to hold a mini camp prior to the draft, I still believe they moved this camp up to evaluate if they needed to upgrade the QB position.

Neither Lovie or Turner (OC) are considered O masterminds but there was a reason Orton bounced between 3rd, 2nd, and 1st string.

That said I still think he will be what the team needs for this comming rebuilding year but he is not the long term answer.

The good thing is he will be playing for a contract this year. Bad thing is that if he plays good enough we may have to pay him and end up stuck with him.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong. With defenses that ranked where ours did with Cutler, Manning went 9-23 and Cutler went 15-17...you lose.

Denver Broncos Defensive Rank and Won-Lost Record:

Points/Yards/Record

2007: 28th/19th (7-9)
2008: 30th/29th (8-8)

Indianapolis Colts Defensive Rank and Won-Lost Record:

Points/Yards/Record

1998: 29th/29th (3-13)
1999: 17th/15th (13-3, lost first round)
2000: 15th/21st (10-6, lost first round)
2001: 31st/29th (6-10)
2002: 7th/8th (10-6, lost first round)
2003: 20th/11th (12-4, lost AFC Championship Game)
2004: 19th/20th (12-4, lost second round)
2005: 2nd/11th (14-2, lost AFC Championship Game)
2006: 23rd/21st (12-4, won Super Bowl)
so for your argument that when Peyton had defenses as bad as Jay's that he had a worse record you point to his rookie year in which he was taking over for a team that was 3-13 the previous two years

and the 2001 season in what was an injury plagued year for the organization.

not really making yourself a great argument with that.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
so for your argument that when Peyton had defenses as bad as Jay's that he had a worse record you point to his rookie year in which he was taking over for a team that was 3-13 the previous two years

and the 2001 season in what was an injury plagued year for the organization.

not really making yourself a great argument with that.
I was refuting the assertion that Manning took teams to the playoffs with defenses as bad as ours. Any moron knows a team's ability to win is based on more than the QB, so these stupid arguments that a guy whose played 2.3 seasons with horrible defenses and a crappy running game should have been in the playoffs is just ignorant.

Maybe if we hadn't given up 30, 30 and FIFTY TWO POINTS in their last 3 games we wouldn't be having this idiotic disucssion.