The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: northridge, ca
Posts: 619
Default This season's going to fun to watch

We've have arguably a top 3 WR tandem in the league with BMarsh, Royal, Stokley, Gaffney (experience in the system), a top receiving tight end, two excellent blocking tight ends, a elite LT, an emerging top RT, decent interior linemen, and now a potential franchise RB in Knowshon. A great versatile weapon in Hillis, and decent RB depth. Adequate to good Qbs who I think one (not sure who yet) will flourish in this system with the overall talent surrounding him. I think we surprise a lot of "experts" and squeak into the playoffs by winning a lot of wild shootouts.

On top of that how do you not love Dawkins and Bailey playing on the same team. Ayers also intrigues me. Don't know about you but I'm excited.
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

go broncos!
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: northridge, ca
Posts: 619
Default

With all the doom and gloom around here I think we forget sports is first and foremost entertainment, and with the players we have on offense it's going to be entertaining year at the very least. We'll win a lot of games 35 to 28 and lose some like too I'm sure. This is going to become the league's next great offensive team (Colts, Rams, Chargers back in the day, etc.) and if all the rule changes are any indication we'll probably play the brand of football Goodall drools over.
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,486
Default

I'm not calling this the next great offensive team until I see if Orton(or Simms) can handle the QB duties.
All those great offensive teams had an exceptional QB.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: northridge, ca
Posts: 619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
I'm not calling this the next great offensive team until I see if Orton(or Simms) can handle the QB duties.
All those great offensive teams had an exceptional QB.
Fair enough. I do however think Orton may be the guy. Still young. Seems like a team leader or at least a great guy to have in the locker room. Urlacher seemed pretty distraught losing him and that means a lot to me if your mddle linebacker is upset to see him go. Seems tough as nails or at least gutsy enough to play through injuries. Not a great arm but probably better than what Pennington has to work with. Has at least 4 legit play makers around him when he only really had Forte in Chicago. Huge offensive line upgrade. And a great offensive mind that will play to his strengths and mask his flaws. I think we'll see quite a large dropoff for Cutler this year without the recievers and te talent he had here.
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisig150 View Post
Fair enough. I do however think Orton may be the guy. Still young. Seems like a team leader or at least a great guy to have in the locker room. Urlacher seemed pretty distraught losing him and that means a lot to me if your mddle linebacker is upset to see him go. Seems tough as nails or at least gutsy enough to play through injuries. Not a great arm but probably better than what Pennington has to work with. Has at least 4 legit play makers around him when he only really had Forte in Chicago. Huge offensive line upgrade. And a great offensive mind that will play to his strengths and mask his flaws. I think we'll see quite a large dropoff for Cutler this year without the recievers and te talent he had here.
He didnt "have" anything. He played on the same team with Forte...in the same backfield.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: northridge, ca
Posts: 619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
He didnt "have" anything. He played on the same team with Forte...in the same backfield.
Didn't watch a lot of Bears games. Thought they played together (had). Don't remember many play makers he played with (had). I know he didn't actually own the team.
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisig150 View Post
Didn't watch a lot of Bears games. Thought they played together (had). Don't remember many play makers he played with (had). I know he didn't actually own the team.
The reason I pounced on that is because it feeds into this whole notion that the teams win/loss record is attributable to the QB...almost as if the QB is a boxer. No. A QB is just one piece of a team. There have been plenty of times that mediocre and even bad QBs have won games because the running game and defense did the heavy lifting. The QB doesnt really "have" anything. He's not even calling the plays anymore like the QB used to in the Johnny Unitas days. Its kind of silly to give a QB credit for wins when their biggest contribution is handing off to a running back. And more often than not, the teams that have won SBs were the teams that were better at running the ball and playing defense.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
Dexter
Pro Bowler
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Bay Harbor Butcher

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 647

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
The reason I pounced on that is because it feeds into this whole notion that the teams win/loss record is attributable to the QB...almost as if the QB is a boxer. No. A QB is just one piece of a team. There have been plenty of times that mediocre and even bad QBs have won games because the running game and defense did the heavy lifting. The QB doesnt really "have" anything. He's not even calling the plays anymore like the QB used to in the Johnny Unitas days. Its kind of silly to give a QB credit for wins when their biggest contribution is handing off to a running back. And more often than not, the teams that have won SBs were the teams that were better at running the ball and playing defense.
I somewhat agree with what you said but you also can't sell Orton short on what he had to work with around him.

Orton's receivers are average at best, his offensive line was below average, but he did have a good defense, running game and TE's. Orton didn't carry that team, but he did more than just "hand the ball off to Forte".

I also don't believe Chicago's offensive system got the most out of him they could. They won't with Cutler either. Why Cutler is so happy to be in Chicago is surprising. He won't ever amass the numbers in that system that he did here.


Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Dexter; 04-28-2009 at 02:23 AM..
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,650
Default

I'm looking forward to seeing how Mcdaniels changes the Broncos offense and special teams. Looking at some of the draft picks and the udfa signings its clear to me Mcdaniels wants more Dbacks and WR on the special teams.

Broncos coverage has been slow slow slow slow. They need to get down the field quicker and I bet that is what they are focusing on. Most important thing in coverage is to get tacklers around the returner and Broncos just never did that, they came in late one by one every friggin game.

I swear my old HS team got downfield faster then the coverage units we had.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #11
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how Mcdaniels changes the Broncos offense and special teams. Looking at some of the draft picks and the udfa signings its clear to me Mcdaniels wants more Dbacks and WR on the special teams.

Broncos coverage has been slow slow slow slow. They need to get down the field quicker and I bet that is what they are focusing on. Most important thing in coverage is to get tacklers around the returner and Broncos just never did that, they came in late one by one every friggin game.

I swear my old HS team got downfield faster then the coverage units we had.


I'm a Shanny homer yet I agree our ST has sucked over the last few years as bad as our D did last year .
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #12
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

McDummy seems intent on making this team unstoppable on offense, I'll give him that.

If Orton can run it.

Remember tho, Shanny did not leave the cupboard bare on offense.

Mock's maybe having an epiphany.

Not yet.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #13
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,627

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

There is nothing special about Orton. Anyone that thinks he can come in here and do half of what Cutler could is smoking crack, plain and simple.

The defense is still what needs to be fixed here. And so far it hasn't been imporved, which is saying something considering how awful it was last season.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Quote:
Broncos coverage has been slow slow slow slow. They need to get down the field quicker and I bet that is what they are focusing on. Most important thing in coverage is to get tacklers around the returner and Broncos just never did that, they came in late one by one every friggin game.
He DID draft some gunnners...

HMM...
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
He DID draft some gunnners...

HMM...
I've read that the SS from Notre Dame we drafted is known for getting down field on ST and making plays. Woodyard I think can make some plays on ST. Larsen as well. A few more headhunters and maybe we can get back to where I don't piss my pants every time we kick the ****ing ball.

Seriously Mock I know you felt same way. We all did. You just knew a big return was coming it was laughable how bad we have been.

It wasn't really missed tackles as it was the returner being full speed by the time our coverage even got there. You let returners get to full speed you are asking for big trouble.

We need defenders who get down there and make the returner start making moves before he gets flying 100 MPH.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #16
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisig150 View Post
We've have arguably a top 3 WR tandem in the league with BMarsh, Royal, Stokley, Gaffney (experience in the system), a top receiving tight end, two excellent blocking tight ends, a elite LT, an emerging top RT, decent interior linemen, and now a potential franchise RB in Knowshon. A great versatile weapon in Hillis, and decent RB depth. Adequate to good Qbs who I think one (not sure who yet) will flourish in this system with the overall talent surrounding him. I think we surprise a lot of "experts" and squeak into the playoffs by winning a lot of wild shootouts.

On top of that how do you not love Dawkins and Bailey playing on the same team. Ayers also intrigues me. Don't know about you but I'm excited.

Don't you know that positive posts will get you banned from posting on the 'mane?
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,696

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

That's been another problem for the Broncos for a long while now. Mediocre special teams, and combine that with a poor defense, has caused the Broncos to lose the battle of field position just about every game the last few years and really even beyond that.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #18
colonelbeef
Lets be friend
 
colonelbeef's Avatar
 
Elway is the new Jerry West

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
I'm not calling this the next great offensive team until I see if Orton(or Simms) can handle the QB duties.
All those great offensive teams had an exceptional QB.
Orton and Simms kind of suck and suck, there is nothing exceptional about either of them.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #19
kamakazi_kal
......
 
kamakazi_kal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller
Default

If by offensive "fun" you mean watching Orton dump the ball off to the RB "just short" allot, then yeah it's gonna be fun.

I still can't believe I'm rooting for Simms to be Denver's starting QB.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,996

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I've read that the SS from Notre Dame we drafted is known for getting down field on ST and making plays. Woodyard I think can make some plays on ST. Larsen as well. A few more headhunters and maybe we can get back to where I don't piss my pants every time we kick the ****ing ball.

Seriously Mock I know you felt same way. We all did. You just knew a big return was coming it was laughable how bad we have been.

It wasn't really missed tackles as it was the returner being full speed by the time our coverage even got there. You let returners get to full speed you are asking for big trouble.

We need defenders who get down there and make the returner start making moves before he gets flying 100 MPH.
I want me a lot more Spencer Larsen on ST, if he can lay the lumber like he did against KC we are going to be okay. That kid is a highspeed crash in disguise.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

The offense should be very strong. Hopefully, Ayers can stop the run on his own, because that's what we're asking of him. Judging by Big Alphonso's record, he won't be tackling many RBs.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #22
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
There is nothing special about Orton. Anyone that thinks he can come in here and do half of what Cutler could is smoking crack, plain and simple.

Oh, the drama.

So you're saying Orton can't throw for 2300 yards, 13 TD's and win 4 games with an 43.0 QBR.

Riiiigght!

What a tool.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post

So you're saying Orton can't throw for 2300 yards, 13 TD's and win 4 games with an 43.0 QBR.

.

Good one!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #24
snowspot66
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Oh, the drama.

So you're saying Orton can't throw for 2300 yards, 13 TD's and win 4 games with an 43.0 QBR.

Riiiigght!

What a tool.
Don't you know? Our QB's were borderline candidates for the Special Olympics squad. We're doomed to mediocrity forever and ever!

Good Lord. We consistently got double digit wins with Plummer at the helm when the West was one of the strongest divisions in football and the AFC was the unquestioned power conference. Not only that but we almost made the Super Bowl with the Browncos on our defensive line, Ian Gold roaming the field, and the power packed combo of Mike and Tatum running the ball.

Now the West is at it's weakest in decades and while the AFC is still dominant it's not nearly the extreme difference in talent from earlier in the decade.

And yet people are claiming we are ****ed and doomed to worse than mediocrity because we have Kyle Orton and Chris Simms as our QB's. I don't get it.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #25
STBumpkin
burnin' it at both ends
 
STBumpkin's Avatar
 
Livin' The Dream

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bowie, MD
Posts: 753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
The defense is still what needs to be fixed here. And so far it hasn't been imporved, which is saying something considering how awful it was last season.
You wouldn't call Dawkins and the other new talent we have in the backfield an improvement on last year? How about replacing the failure Slowick with the proven DC Nolan? How about the additions by subtraction like Bly and our old safeties? You are a joke.
STBumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Denver Broncos