The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #226
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I can't believe Avery is going to be back on the Rangers.....
There is a wesbite site called "Sens Chirp", which many Senator Fans on Hockey Future say is quite reliable. I haven't read or heard about the site before, so I can't say.

What Senschirp is reporting is that the Kings are definitely in talks with the Senators about Jason Spezza.

All the leverage is on the Kings side...why? We have lots of cap space.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #227
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

The Sens are almost $4M under, if they trade Spezza it's because they're going into a full-blown rebuild. The Kings don't have as much leverage as you think, they have what the Sens would want, prospect depth. Kings better hope they make the playoffs too, since their 1st would be going back and it is currently in the lottery (8th overall, but they do have games in hand on those above them). He's a 25-year old career PPG player. He's not a salary dump.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #228
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
The Sens are almost $4M under, if they trade Spezza it's because they're going into a full-blown rebuild. The Kings don't have as much leverage as you think, they have what the Sens would want, prospect depth. Kings better hope they make the playoffs too, since their 1st would be going back and it is currently in the lottery (8th overall, but they do have games in hand on those above them). He's a 25-year old career PPG player. He's not a salary dump.
Keep in mind the Kings also have to extend Jack Johnson, Frolov, and in a couple years Doughty. I think it's a risky proposition to trade for Spezza while a nice player to have, would jumble up the current plan we have in place for the organization.

The more I read about Spezza, they more I want him going to LA. I just hate the players that are involved in the deal going to Ottawa. Jonathan Bernier is being mentioned, I would hope we hang on to him so we can see what he is made out of.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #229
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Ohhh i forgot hedjuk undressed turco!

Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #230
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

So where does this idiot end up? word is maybe back to the rangers.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02062009...ack_153777.htm

The Rangers have conducted thorough internal discussions regarding the feasibility of bringing Sean Avery back to Broadway and appear to be on the verge of allowing Dallas to send Hockey's Public Enemy No. 1 to Hartford in what would be the first step of the process, The Post has learned.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #231
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings win their 3rd straight game on the road. Beating the Devils 3-1. A Playoff spot is well within reach.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #232
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.F. View Post
There is a wesbite site called "Sens Chirp", which many Senator Fans on Hockey Future say is quite reliable. I haven't read or heard about the site before, so I can't say.

What Senschirp is reporting is that the Kings are definitely in talks with the Senators about Jason Spezza.

All the leverage is on the Kings side...why? We have lots of cap space.
have a buddy that has ties to the Rangers....unless someone like Philly claims him, he will be playing for the Rangers by March.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #233
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
have a buddy that has ties to the Rangers .
I heard on Spector's that Tom Renney is a huge hit at gay bathhouses in NY.

It was also an (e5) on Eklund's site.

Has your friend heard anything about that?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #234
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Fear the Jack!

Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #235
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

budaj beatin like drum as usual iam so tired of inconsistant goaltending i say go after manny legace and ship budaj down to the minors where he belongs.

Last edited by Bronx33; 02-08-2009 at 06:22 PM..
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #236
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I heard on Spector's that Tom Renney is a huge hit at gay bathhouses in NY.

It was also an (e5) on Eklund's site.

Has your friend heard anything about that?
It's true Renney and Cidney are BFF.....

You walked right into that one....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #237
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

LA Kings Doughty- "We're better than a lot of teams in the playoff race."

Quote:
Watching him play defense for the Los Angeles Kings, the first thing you notice about Drew Doughty is that you don't notice him.

Logically, a 19-year-old rookie taken second overall in last summer's draft should be more conspicuous, especially when he's leading his team in ice time (23:40 per game). But Doughty was billed as the draft pick most likely to step right into the NHL without much of a culture shock, and he's met that expectation. He looks like a savvy veteran player his team has depended on for years during big situations.

Like when the Kings called on him and defensive partner Sean O'Donnell to hold the fort during a frantic finale in Washington recently. Doughty deftly guarded the offensive players, at one point wrestling with Alexander Ovechkin in the corner just long enough to avert a scoring chance from the NHL's leading sniper.

"We just got tangled up, and we both kind of fell. It was just fortunate that he fell after me because he would have had a one-timer," said Doughty.

But as confident as he is, sometimes that rookie enthusiasm shines through. Like when the Kings added a critical insurance goal late in the game against the Capitals and Doughty raised his arms and jumped in the air on the Kings bench, like a contestant on a game show.

That rookie zeal also shines through when he talks about the Kings being an unexpected guest in the Western Conference playoff race, and how he believes his team is better than some of the other contenders.

Doughty admitted that he didn't have delusions of grandeur when he joined the Kings as a first-year player out of camp.

"When I came here to the Kings, I really didn't know what to expect," he said, admitting that the team struggled early.

"We're a very good team that just underachieved in the first half of the season. We're better than a lot of teams that are in the playoff race right now."

They have been since Jan. 1, going 8-5-1 overall and 3-1 on a long road trip that ends on Long Island Tuesday night. Powered by two good offensive lines, solid goaltending from Jon Quick and a growing confidence from its young core, the Kings are three points out of the eighth seed.

For Doughty, the maturation process has yielded some surprises. Like, for example, how similar life on the road can be between junior hockey and the NHL.

"There really are a lot of similarities," he said. "[Although] maybe we go to dinner at a lot better places, where back in junior we'd be going to a crappy, less-expensive kind of place."

Doughty said playing in the NHL is harder than a rookie imagines it's going to be, "but at the same time it's easier."

"There's tape-to-tape passes every time, and everyone's so smart. So it's easier that way," he said.

Having the right support around him has helped, too. For every strong young player on the Kings, there are teammates like veteran players and leaders like captain Dustin Brown -- Doughty's roommate -- that are providing guidance in many situations.

For Doughty, one of the primary mentors has been defenseman Sean O'Donnell, acquired from the Anaheim Ducks last year. On CBCSports.com, former Kings coach Marc Crawford said O'Donnell is the "perfect foil" for the rookie, and compared the mentor/student philosophy to those Detroit Red Wings teams that used Steve Yzerman to tutor young players:

This is the job of the veteran player, the one who has been through the hockey playoff wars. He has credibility because he has been there, and it is always this type of example that is the most impressionable for rookies. If they come into the league and are told by the coach to practice in a certain way, the rookie will most likely listen, but only to a certain extent. Rookies are always looking for acceptance and this can only truly come from the veteran players.

Players can fool the media, they can fool the fans, they can fool the coaches, but inside the sanctity of the dressing room, they can never fool their teammates. The word is accountability, and winning teams have it in abundance. And for a young player, it is the most necessary intangible they must learn.

So far, Doughty appears to have the intangibles, the resiliency and the confidence to become a stellar NHL player. What he doesn't have are the flashy numbers or press notes that would earn him a well-deserved Calder Trophy, even if he should be a finalist this season.

Is he keeping tabs on the rest of his draft class?

"You know what? Not really. I'm really good buddies with Luke Schenn [of the Toronto Maple Leafs], and we talk quite a bit. Besides that, I'll check how Stamkos is doing once in a while, but it's not really a battle or anything," he said.

"We'd all like to be the best rookie out of that draft class, just you can say it; but you don't really worry about it."

Does he not worry about it because he feels Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason already has the thing sewn up?

"No, not really," he said. "My main focus to helping the LA Kings."

Spoken like a veteran rookie.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #238
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings beat the Islanders! Thanks to JMFJ sealing the deal in the SO.

Kings have win their fourth straight on the road and have won 7 of their last 8 games. Awooohooooo!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #239
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Ho hum, another game another goal for Mike Green giving him his NHL record 8 straight games with a goal as a defenseman. Only had 1 point tonight, another multi-point game and he would have been all alone with a record 9 straight multi-point games for a defenseman. Guess he'll just have to settle with being tied with the likes of Orr and Coffey for that record.

Green's 1st in goals, 1st in points, and 2nd in +/- despite missing 13 games this season.

Oh and Michael Neuwirth saved 34 of 35 for the win in his first NHL start.

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 02-14-2009 at 09:51 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #240
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings lose in a freaking shoot-out to the freaking Oilers. I freaking hate the Canada teams, I am glad they have never won a freaking Cup since 93. I hope they never win the cup again. Freaking bastards.

Rant aside, JMFJ totally kicked the crap out of Gagner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWLVsWa364
Old 02-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #241
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Green's streak ends at 8, but Ovechkin had a hatty to put him at 41 for the season. Goes ahead of Sid now by 2, but still 7 back of Malkin through 57 team games each.

Last edited by Bronx33; 02-15-2009 at 06:00 PM..
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #242
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Wooooop woooooop!!! 7 pts out fun game to watch though.

Last edited by Bronx33; 02-15-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #243
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Green's streak ends at 8, but Ovechkin had a hatty to put him at 41 for the season. Goes ahead of Sid now by 2, but still 7 back of Malkin through 57 team games each.

I got to watch most of that game i really like watching ovechkin and semin.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #244
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Penguins fire Therrien.

Not surprised this went down, I told Socal there will be a major shakedown if things don't improve for the Pens. Shero might be next IMO.

Quote:
PITTSBURGH At least now we know the answer to the seemingly eternal question this season: What will it take to get Pittsburgh Penguins Coach Michel Therrien fired for his team's uninspired, borderline embarrassing fall from grace this season?

The answer: Five third-period goals from the moribund Toronto Maple Leafs in a 6-2 loss last night, in a game where the long-awaited return of defenseman Sergei Gonchar was expected to boost the team's spirits.

Therrien was fired tonight, replaced on an interim basis by Dan Bylsma, the 38-year-old head coach of AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He'll be behind the bench when the Penguins hit the ice at 2 p.m. EST at the New York Islanders on Monday.

From the Penguins' official release:

"We believe we need a change in direction and, with 25 games remaining in the regular season, our goal remains to finish strong and qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs," [Penguins GM Ray] Shero said. "Dan Bylsma is one of the bright young coaches in the game and has done an exceptional job as the head coach in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season.

"We also would like to thank Michel Therrien for his significant contributions to the Penguins organization."

And Michel Therrien thanks you for the remaining two years and change of his contract extension, Ray ...

Therrien finishes his Penguins head coaching stint with a record of 135-105-32, which included a first-round exit and last season's Eastern Conference championship. There were games this season in which it appeared the Penguins were fighting for his job; conversely, there were nights this season when Therrien appeared powerless to turn the team's fortunes around, and that a change was necessary.

I've never been a Therrien cheerleader. He received more credit than he deserved when the Penguins thrived during Sidney Crosby's injury absence last season. (Malkin and Ty Conklin were the team's true heroes.) His abrasive style was hit-or-miss. His line construction was odd; some of his in-game managment was questionable; and his performance in the finals last season was, at times, desperate.

But Therrien is still a scapegoat for Shero's mismanagement of the roster last summer, and the firing of a coach that was just signed to a three-year contract is indicative of that mismanagement. The Penguins may or may not turn their season around with a new face behind the bench; but at some point the heat needs to fall on Shero for the poorly constructed roster that's now cost Therrien his job.

So the Penguins' 2008-09 season, version 2.0, begins tomorrow afternoon with the team five points out of a playoff spot and with 25 games remaining. Sixteen of those games are against teams currently in playoff seeds.

Is this now Dan Bylsma's team? Shero's quote would seem to indicate it. But all that could indicate is that there won't be some big-name coaching savior walking through that locker room door. Which means, ultimately, is that it's on the players to find a way back to the postseason.

Because Shero decided tonight that the head coach he committed the organization to last summer wasn't the man to get them there.

Much more on this on Monday ...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,141588
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #245
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I called that weeks ago, and anyone that's a pens fan saw this coming. Personally - I think shero's done a good job as GM. He's locked up young core talent. He doesn't panic and make rash moves IMO. I like that.

Therrian isn't a bad coach at all. I think he should have been given the rest of the year before firing.

I also knew this year, the Pens would struggle. Losing lots of role players, and a bit of a hangover from losing the cup. I didn't expect much from them this year.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #246
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

You are so full of it ames.

Shero has acquired exactly 1 winger for Sid or Geno, and we all know where Hossa is playing this season.

"Shero has done well, our young core is locked up, but I never expected much this season from a team that went to the Finals last year?" Whatever dude.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #247
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
You are so full of it ames.

Shero has acquired exactly 1 winger for Sid or Geno, and we all know where Hossa is playing this season.

"Shero has done well, our young core is locked up, but I never expected much this season from a team that went to the Finals last year?" Whatever dude.
Nah man i've been saying it since about 1/4 into the season. Sorry you don't believe me, but i have been - infact this is what i wrote on another board:

Quote:
amesj523 - Feb 9, 2009 6:52 pm (#2855 of 2865) Delete MessageReply
it's called the american dream..because you have to be asleep to believe it. ~Carlin

Some truth to what Junkie brought up:

The pens are a little interesting: They have lots of "star" talent, lots of blue line depth, but little in the Winger department. Ryan Malone cashed in, and there's no way he's worth that much. They had to let him walk. Hossa punked the pens. Without hossa, they wouldn't have been in the SCF's though. I still to this day agree with that trade. (The players that were involved in the trade were/are replaceable IMO).

You can't pay Gary Roberts who is 40+ a ton of jack, and guys like ruutu can always be replaced too.

They had lots of chemistry last year, and this year - with injuries to Gonchar, Whitney - while they had good young talent (golikoski, letang) - they aren't gonchar & whitney (yet).

Fluery's had an off year as well.

Lots of things just didn't fall in the pens favor this year. I think the pens sorta "sulked" at times this year. It also showed when they'd allow many teams to go up 2-3 goals, and then do the "comeback".

IMO, as much as i think Therrian's done with the Pens, i don't see him with the team for long. It would not surprise me to see Shero fire Therrian at the end of the season...if they don't make the playoffs...i'd put it at a 85% rate that therrian's fired.

Shero seems to be slow and steady, but he won't hesitate to answer to his bosses (see hossa trade).

Crosby, IMO - needs support. I don't think playing malkin on his line is the answer. I think Staal needs to play on his line IMO.

Yeah, so whatever - i've called the pens season all year pretty much correct.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...&postcount=691

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...&postcount=694

Last edited by alkemical; 02-16-2009 at 11:31 AM..
Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #248
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

That's what i thought.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #249
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

That's what you thought? Sorry man, didn't know I needed to stay by my computer today just waiting for your response. Next time, I'll make sure to continually hit refresh on my browser and not go do anything else until you post again.

I call out Shero and you go and point out that you called Therrien wasn't long for the Pens. Newsflah- everyone who follows hockey knew that Therrien wasn't going to be there much longer, not just Pens fans. You didn't exactly call your shot, everyone knew it was coming. But let me know what the Powerball numbers are for Wednesday night Nostradamus.

Guess what? Someone will win the Stanley Cup at the end of the year, just a hunch that I have. We'll see in June whether or not that's true. I'll bring this post back up at that time to prove to everyone I was pretty much right on with how the NHL season would end.

I like how you have it both ways, Shero has done fine and let those guys walk because that was the right thing to do, but then the Pens don't have any chemistry. Apparently Shero hasn't found a way to replace them. That's real quality work by the GM. Sometimes you don't let guys walk because of the intangibles that they bring the team, including the chemistry that's altered when you screw up the lockerroom composition. But I guess we won't put that one on Shero. The Hossa trade was worth it because that 1st that could have been used on a winger and Esposito are replaceable parts. And if you come back with Espo sucks, guess we'll chalk that one up on the Pens' scouting department, and not Shero.

You can come up with any excuse you want for this season, Fleury, Gonchar, Whitney, they "sulked", etc., the fact remains that any team that was in the Finals last season with Crosby and Malkin should not be in 10th place in the East and 5 points out of playoff spot in the middle of February. Spin that any way you want to justify your excuses for why they aren't in the playoffs and how it's not Shero's fault. Anyone else who isn't a Pens fan sees a poorly constructed team. I'm sure if they make a run, you'll have called that one on some other board at some other point too. You defended Shero in this thread with Staal's new deal, and yet you acknowledge there are no wingers. A 3rd line center taking up $4M per year starting next year? Last time I checked, a GM is the guy who is supposed to acquire those wingers.

But hey, you called it that Therrien was on the verge of getting tossed, you're the man Ames.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #250
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
That's what you thought? Sorry man, didn't know I needed to stay by my computer today just waiting for your response. Next time, I'll make sure to continually hit refresh on my browser and not go do anything else until you post again.

I call out Shero and you go and point out that you called Therrien wasn't long for the Pens. Newsflah- everyone who follows hockey knew that Therrien wasn't going to be there much longer, not just Pens fans. You didn't exactly call your shot, everyone knew it was coming. But let me know what the Powerball numbers are for Wednesday night Nostradamus.

Guess what? Someone will win the Stanley Cup at the end of the year, just a hunch that I have. We'll see in June whether or not that's true. I'll bring this post back up at that time to prove to everyone I was pretty much right on with how the NHL season would end.

I like how you have it both ways, Shero has done fine and let those guys walk because that was the right thing to do, but then the Pens don't have any chemistry. Apparently Shero hasn't found a way to replace them. That's real quality work by the GM. Sometimes you don't let guys walk because of the intangibles that they bring the team, including the chemistry that's altered when you screw up the lockerroom composition. But I guess we won't put that one on Shero. The Hossa trade was worth it because that 1st that could have been used on a winger and Esposito are replaceable parts. And if you come back with Espo sucks, guess we'll chalk that one up on the Pens' scouting department, and not Shero.

You can come up with any excuse you want for this season, Fleury, Gonchar, Whitney, they "sulked", etc., the fact remains that any team that was in the Finals last season with Crosby and Malkin should not be in 10th place in the East and 5 points out of playoff spot in the middle of February. Spin that any way you want to justify your excuses for why they aren't in the playoffs and how it's not Shero's fault. Anyone else who isn't a Pens fan sees a poorly constructed team. I'm sure if they make a run, you'll have called that one on some other board at some other point too. You defended Shero in this thread with Staal's new deal, and yet you acknowledge there are no wingers. A 3rd line center taking up $4M per year starting next year? Last time I checked, a GM is the guy who is supposed to acquire those wingers.

But hey, you called it that Therrien was on the verge of getting tossed, you're the man Ames.

Hossa punked the pens, and malone's not worth $5/mil. Esposito and a draft pick were/are unproven.

Everything i said is correct and i stand, don't b**** because i was right. I was suck it up and deal with it.