The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #251
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Independent View Post
[LIST][*]All About Steve - Yes
If more people vote for me in your pole you will not have to pay to know all about Steve!

broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #252
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 
Miss I.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,723
Default

A suggestion for films if you are interested in classic films:
http://www.tcm.com/2009/31Days/index.jsp

Turner does this every year around Oscar time, 31 days of Oscar films.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #253
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!
 
SureShot's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,951

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Independent View Post
A suggestion for films if you are interested in classic films:
http://www.tcm.com/2009/31Days/index.jsp

Turner does this every year around Oscar time, 31 days of Oscar films.
When are the Bogart movies on?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #254
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

So, I dedicated all of yesterday towards starting and finishing the Watchmen graphic novel.

It is one of the best books I have ever read.

The movie comes out March 6th, and it looks like it's staying pretty close to the book. Should be incredible.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #255
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 
Miss I.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
When are the Bogart movies on?
Well I believe they already showed Casablanca, but I think African Queen might be on the agenda somewhere. I would so a search or something.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #256
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Independent View Post
Well I believe they already showed Casablanca, but I think African Queen might be on the agenda somewhere. I would so a search or something.
I'd think that they would show The Maltese Falcon at some point.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #257
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

If any of you are planning on going to see "Taken", and are expecting a "good" movie rather than an "entertaining" movie(Like I was, due to it's high IMDB score), you should correct that.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #258
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,353
Default

I got sucked into watching a chick flick tonight....but it was actually pretty funny.

The movie was 'My Best Friend's Girl'.

I told my wife she could watch it and I started surfing the net, but I ended up paying attention and watched it all.

Dane Cook was such a dick to chicks in some of the scenes, that it kept my interest.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #259
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze
 
Bronco Bob's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
So, I dedicated all of yesterday towards starting and finishing the Watchmen graphic novel.

It is one of the best books I have ever read.

The movie comes out March 6th, and it looks like it's staying pretty close to the book. Should be incredible.
Yeah, that book blew me away. If the movie is half as good as the book it will be outstanding.
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #260
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 
Miss I.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
If any of you are planning on going to see "Taken", and are expecting a "good" movie rather than an "entertaining" movie(Like I was, due to it's high IMDB score), you should correct that.
Okay so shouldn't a good movie be entertaining? How do you define good? Just curious. I enjoyed Taken, but I also expected it to be basically an action flick with a better actor as lead. I think Liam Neeson's presence gave it more heft because unlike say a Tom Cruise who is not by any means a good actor (capable sometimes, but mostly a one note actor...he always plays Tom Cruise megastar).

Good Action: Bourne Identity? , Entertaining Action: Speed?
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #261
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Independent View Post
Okay so shouldn't a good movie be entertaining? How do you define good? Just curious. I enjoyed Taken, but I also expected it to be basically an action flick with a better actor as lead. I think Liam Neeson's presence gave it more heft because unlike say a Tom Cruise who is not by any means a good actor (capable sometimes, but mostly a one note actor...he always plays Tom Cruise megastar).

Good Action: Bourne Identity? , Entertaining Action: Speed?
Wow, MI, your takes on movies are quite endearing. You really have a keen eye for what you like. This is something rare that is to be admired. I also give you credit for this thread, which ive enjoyed immensely. BTW, I saw 21 tonight. Yeah, its a little commercial...its a little mainstream. On top of that, there are a variety of examples of card counters in real life that didnt require an MIT backdrop, which were quite compelling. But all in all, it was a good movie. Spacey, while extraneous, found his sweet spot in this particular movie. Its kind of Good Will Hunting meets Rounders.

Though not great, it was entertaining. I give it a 7.5, which is worth watching.

Also, I read this week that the guy and the girl from Once had a falling out and have gone their separata ways. Its too bad.

Last edited by lex; 02-15-2009 at 12:33 AM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #262
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,097

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Just saw a good french movie tonight called The Class. I recommend if its playing in a city near you.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #263
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,326

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Watched Ghost Town tonight. Basic plot is a romantic comedy version of Sixth Sense (guy can talk with the dead, hilarity ensues, etc.).

It really was, however, an above average rom-com and a very solid film as a whole. I'll admit I'm a homer for Ricky Gervais, but he makes the film. His dry sense of humor is up my alley, and it is a nice departure from the usual male leads in these kind of films.

I also thought the dramatic aspects (that every comedy feels obliged to throw in) actually carried some weight in this one, ending with some genuinely poignant scenes and observations. Overall, well worth seeing.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #264
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German
 
Rausch 2.0's Avatar
 
Angry Drunken German

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jefferson City, Mo.
Posts: 912

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD
Default

If you were a comix nerd and wanted to sell a normal person on them your argument would be Watchmen.

It's not the best looking costumes or characters but by far the best story ever told in cartoon paper. And timely.

It's MORE relevant now...
Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #265
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead
 
MechanicalBull's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Watched Ghost Town tonight. Basic plot is a romantic comedy version of Sixth Sense (guy can talk with the dead, hilarity ensues, etc.).

It really was, however, an above average rom-com and a very solid film as a whole. I'll admit I'm a homer for Ricky Gervais, but he makes the film. His dry sense of humor is up my alley, and it is a nice departure from the usual male leads in these kind of films.

I also thought the dramatic aspects (that every comedy feels obliged to throw in) actually carried some weight in this one, ending with some genuinely poignant scenes and observations. Overall, well worth seeing.
I totally agree. I didn't really expect anything when I saw it the other week but said hey I'll give it a try. It was a decent movie with some good jokes and laughs.

Saw Wanted the other day and thought that was a pretty entertaining movie.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #266
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch 2.0 View Post
If you were a comix nerd and wanted to sell a normal person on them your argument would be Watchmen.

It's not the best looking costumes or characters but by far the best story ever told in cartoon paper. And timely.

It's MORE relevant now...
QFT.

It's not just the best comic I've ever read. It's the one of the best books I've ever read.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #267
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Independent View Post
Okay so shouldn't a good movie be entertaining? How do you define good? Just curious. I enjoyed Taken, but I also expected it to be basically an action flick with a better actor as lead. I think Liam Neeson's presence gave it more heft because unlike say a Tom Cruise who is not by any means a good actor (capable sometimes, but mostly a one note actor...he always plays Tom Cruise megastar).

Good Action: Bourne Identity? , Entertaining Action: Speed?
Basically, I have two types of movies I like: Entertaining Movies, and Good movies. Entertaining movies are ones that could be considered "bad", if you look at the acting, script, and overall quality(in a movie critic sort of way), but is made enjoyable by the presence of gratuitous humour or action(Starship Troopers is the example I always give of movies I consider to be 'Entertaining'). Good movies are ones that have good writing and acting and directing(Three things Taken BARELY had, if at all. The Script was horrific).

Here are some of my problems with Taken(HIGHLIGHT TO SEE, BUT HERE BE SPOILERS):
Apparently, Liam Neeson can run as fast as an Audi can drive, and a jab to the throat kills someone instantaneously. Liam Neeson's character had NO flaws. There wasn't a single French good guy(Except maybe the guy who ran the hotel who let him bring a drugged out hooker into the room). When he chases the guy at the airport, after he jumps and gets hit by the truck, the cops who were chasing them seem to just vanish. When they identify the bad guy by the voice recording off the phone call...First off, I call bull**** on that. Secondly...So they have a database that can identify people by their voice, but this database doesn't come with pictures? Or last names? It had about as much nuance as Harry Potter. I knew exactly what was going to happen before I saw the movie. No surprises. There were giant holes of logic. They just smoothed over her friend Amanda getting killed. The music was epileptic(Sometimes it was strings, sometimes it was Bourne-esque techno). The line "It was all business for me! Nothing Personal!" "It was all personal for me." and then he shoots the guy was just beyond corny. What are the odds that the steam pipe you get handcuffed to is already about to break?!? The scene on the boat went pretty much exactly like a video game(Get onto the boat, get pistol. Kill some simple bad guys, get better weapon. Kill harder bad guys. Face boss in hand to hand combat(The last guy he faces just so happens to be the toughest one of them all? Really?)Fade to black, and BAM, you're in LAX)

While the movie was fun, and thus entertaining, it was by no stretch "Good". I got my hopes up because of IMDB, and was thus extremely disappointed.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #268
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Also, I'm going to see Watchmen at IMAX at the Midnight showing.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #269
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Also, I'm going to see Watchmen at IMAX at the Midnight showing.
You bastard. I'll be at the midnight showing, but unfortunately I won't be gazing at a screen big enough to see the actor's souls.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #270
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 
Miss I.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
You bastard. I'll be at the midnight showing, but unfortunately I won't be gazing at a screen big enough to see the actor's souls.
actors have souls?
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #271
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Took my girlfriend to see Slumdog Millionaire.

Good stuff in many respects. Go see it.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #272
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 
Miss I.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Basically, I have two types of movies I like: Entertaining Movies, and Good movies. Entertaining movies are ones that could be considered "bad", if you look at the acting, script, and overall quality(in a movie critic sort of way), but is made enjoyable by the presence of gratuitous humour or action(Starship Troopers is the example I always give of movies I consider to be 'Entertaining'). Good movies are ones that have good writing and acting and directing(Three things Taken BARELY had, if at all. The Script was horrific).


While the movie was fun, and thus entertaining, it was by no stretch "Good". I got my hopes up because of IMDB, and was thus extremely disappointed.
I can concur with that. I guess I have a larger degree of separation between things or a different scale. But that makes sense, I certainly have been entertained by very bad movies (My dad and I call them TME, Totally Mindless Entertainment) and as a horror movie aficionado I have seen my fair share of stupid, poorly written poorly acted films (some are just funny in their stupidity). I also concur with your arguments about Taken (btw the hiding of the text was cool) so I guess I too can say it was entertaining not good. Maybe for me the entertainment was that totally mindless thing and the knowledge I knew exactly how it would end (I checked expectations of realism at the door). After watching serious drama films like Revolutionary Road I guess I just needed a check my brain at the door film which this did. And I enjoyed Liam Neeson...it was interesting to see him as the action hero, not the intellectual or really dramatic role, though I would not say this was his best film by any means though also not the worst (Star Wars Phantom Menace was probably his worst).
As far as my scale for evaluation, I tend to think of things in different ways, but I like your approact, though
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #273
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,353
Default

I went to see 'Taken' tonight.

I liked it a lot....tons of ass kicking.

Liam Neeson is a real bad ass in the movie.

A well spent $10.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #274
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

I just saw a kick assed French DVD

Brotherhood of the Wolf (le pacte des loups)

Probably the best foreign action/adventure/martial arts/graphic novel flick I have ever seen.

If you like all the graphic novel movies you will love this one.

Plus the chicks are hot and naked, there is an indian guy doing all sorts of martial arts.

I highly recommend!
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #275
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,360

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

I just watched backdoor nuns 9.
It was an interesting and reflective piece about the conflicts a woman of god faces when being penetrated by a 12" cock in her anus. The main actress was brilliant, and I really felt her struggle. I usually prefer movies with deep intertwining subtext, but this movie with it's straightforward approach was very enjoyable.

I highly recommend it.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Denver Broncos