The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default Keith Brookings for MLB??

If this guy is released do you think he can play in the 3-4? I think it is worth a look..Thoughts??

Falcons To Release Brooking?
From Dan Parr of ProFootballWeekly.com:


We hear Falcons WLB Keith Brooking is likely to be released before Feb. 23, when sources say he’s due a $1 million bonus. The Falcons’ offseason plans include revamping their defense — they are looking to add speed and fresh legs to a unit that ranked 24th last season. The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years, and it appears the club is ready to replace him after 11 seasons. Brooking has a large cap figure of $8.3 million for the 2009 season and while releasing Brooking, who went to Georgia Tech before spending his entire career with the Falcons, would be an unpopular move with the team’s fan base, GM Thomas Dimitroff won’t bring him back unless a significant pay cut is involved. We hear Brooking still thinks he can play and will explore options with other teams if he’s let go.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,353

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years,
This is all that is relevant. Pass.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,416

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Hell No! Falcon fans can't wait till he's gone. He's on the the wrong side a mediocre career.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
This is all that is relevant. Pass.
You may be right but you also may be VERY wrong. The Pats defense somehow thrived with slow, old players at the LB position (Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel). So don't completly rule players like Brooking out. We're not going to have kids at every position.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,790

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Brooking has been terrible in recent years. Falcons fans think he's the worst linebacker on the field. We don't need him here.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

He's lost more than a few steps and has been a career 4-3 MLB. I don't see any benefit even as a backup. Our new Asst. LB coach could probably contribute more on the field than Brooking could in the 3-4.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Brooking has been terrible in recent years.
Yeah, I'm not advocating Brooking specifically but more pointing out that we can't automatically rule out vets who are on the wrong side of the career hill. You're not going to totally rebuild a defense successfully with young guys and top flight FA's. So some Brooking type players here and there are possible. Seau, among others, was certainly considered "washed up" before the Pats effectively plugged him in.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,353

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You may be right but you also may be VERY wrong. The Pats defense somehow thrived with slow, old players at the LB position (Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel). So don't completly rule players like Brooking out. We're not going to have kids at every position.
Point taken. I was speaking specifically about Brooking. Of course there are viable vets that will be available that any team would be foolish to ignore. Brooking had a few really nice years but, like Kaylore, I really watched him decline last year.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,790

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yeah, I'm not advocating Brooking specifically but more pointing out that we can't automatically rule out vets who are on the wrong side of the career hill. You're not going to totally rebuild a defense successfully with young guys and top flight FA's. So some Brooking type players here and there are possible. Seau, among others, was certainly considered "washed up" before the Pats effectively plugged him in.
I don't think anyone is against the general concept of bringing in an aged vet to help out. I think most people here are suggesting Brooking himself is done and not worth it here.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,105

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

any time a team is willing to eat money to get rid of someone....stay away
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,790

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I will say if he came in for the vet minimum I wouldn't mind at all.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,482

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Even if he were at the top of his game...

We already have plenty of talented YOUNG OLB prospects we're HOPING will pan out on the inside of a 3-4 when the time comes. Why the **** would we want to grab an older version and hope?

Draft Rey.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,790

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Draft Rey.
That kind of surprises me coming from you. Rey is exactly what we don't need: A super athlete that can't think for himself.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,482

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That kind of surprises me coming from you. Rey is exactly what we don't need: A super athlete that can't think for himself.
I think the circumstances of his "limitations" are greatly exaggerrated on the board. Just my opinion. Also keep in mind I'm a huge USC hater and rarely miss the opportunity to knock anyone of their players or staff aside from pete carroll.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,790

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I think the circumstances of his "limitations" are greatly exaggerrated on the board. Just my opinion. Also keep in mind I'm a huge USC hater and rarely miss the opportunity to knock anyone of their players or staff aside from pete carroll.
I hate USC too and I'd feel much more comfortable with Mathews or Cushing before Ray.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,482

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I hate USC too and I'd feel much more comfortable with Mathews or Cushing before Ray.
I'm not particularly fond of either.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,741

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

No, stick with the young movement.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
Great13
He's Great!
 
Great13's Avatar
 
Here we go...

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The SWATS (Atl)
Posts: 362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Hell No! Falcon fans can't wait till he's gone. He's on the the wrong side a mediocre career.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Great13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 16,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

If you're gonna suggest a LB that's the wrong side of 30 why not a guy who's played in a 3-4 system for 1/2 his career like Zach Thomas
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

I didn't say to sign him, I said it is worth a look. geez
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Funny he is our starting MLB now 3 years later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
If this guy is released do you think he can play in the 3-4? I think it is worth a look..Thoughts??

Falcons To Release Brooking?
From Dan Parr of ProFootballWeekly.com:


We hear Falcons WLB Keith Brooking is likely to be released before Feb. 23, when sources say he’s due a $1 million bonus. The Falcons’ offseason plans include revamping their defense — they are looking to add speed and fresh legs to a unit that ranked 24th last season. The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years, and it appears the club is ready to replace him after 11 seasons. Brooking...........


Funny that he is now taking time away from your state's hero, Joe Mays.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #23
Jetland
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm not particularly fond of either.
more of this please

BRILLIANT!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,482

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetland View Post
more of this please

BRILLIANT!!!
Ugh. That's pretty brutal
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm not particularly fond of either.
Oops on all 3 accounts. Rey's limitations well they were true. I don't think anyone thought Matthews would be the best of the bunch.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Denver Broncos