The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Job Networking Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Poll: What do you do
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What do you do

Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #76
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Construction management. (commercial, industrial, heavy/ highway, water and waste water).
That's cool stuff to get to work with IMO.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #77
backup qb
Ring of Famer

I work as a sales manager for a retail sales force. Just got licensed in insurance too. Sold my first policies yesterday. Kinda like it. Wish I could quit my "real" job.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #78
backup qb
Ring of Famer

Scratch that. Wish I could win millions and do nothing but give back and enjoy every ounce of life that I can.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #79
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
I work as a sales manager for a retail sales force. Just got licensed in insurance too. Sold my first policies yesterday. Kinda like it. Wish I could quit my "real" job.
You build up a good book of Business and you can, but you need to get commercial contracts.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #80
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

anybody got a ciggerette before my company takes me out to shoot me lol. its getting real slow at my job. im ****ed. If i have to ill just resort to jacking everyone with money muahaha
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #81
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
That's cool stuff to get to work with IMO.

Cool if you can win the contracts. Bidding has been akin to "dog eat dog" lately. Over the past decade we've faced 4-8 competitors a bid opening, the last few moths those numbers have increased to 14-20. We've cut our profit margins to all time lows, and are still being beat by "no-name" companies which are bidding lower than cost. I guess "buying work" is better than cutting the workforce.

I'm practicing my "Welcome to WalMart" spiel, just in case.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #82
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

When you have a
'I Hate My Job' day,
[even if retired you have those sometimes]
try this:

On your way home from work, stop at your pharmacy and go to the thermometer
section and purchase a rectal thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson

Be very sure you get this brand..

Change into very comfortable clothing and sit in your favorite chair. Open the package and remove the thermometer. Now, carefully place it on a table or a surface so that it will not become chipped or broken.

Now the fun part begins.

Take out the literature from the box and read it carefully. You will notice that in small print there is a statement:

'Every Rectal Thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson is personally tested and then sanitized. '

Now, close your eyes and repeat out loud five times,'I am so glad I do not work in the thermometer quality control department at Johnson & Johnson.'

HAVE A NICE DAY AND REMEMBER, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE WITH A JOB THAT IS MORE OF A PAIN IN THE ASS THAN
YOURS!
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #83
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Sure. I am tired of working in an office. For 3 years it was me and 7 women in a single space...

No wonder you went gay.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #84
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Cool if you can win the contracts. Bidding has been akin to "dog eat dog" lately. Over the past decade we've faced 4-8 competitors a bid opening, the last few moths those numbers have increased to 14-20. We've cut our profit margins to all time lows, and are still being beat by "no-name" companies which are bidding lower than cost. I guess "buying work" is better than cutting the workforce.

I'm practicing my "Welcome to WalMart" spiel, just in case.
I remember talking to you about this. I would almost guarantee that your competition is low-balling offers and then when the work is well underway asking for EA's as they know the customer has little choice at that point. Sucks but I've seen it happen!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #85
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I remember talking to you about this. I would almost guarantee that your competition is low-balling offers and then when the work is well underway asking for EA's as they know the customer has little choice at that point. Sucks but I've seen it happen!

Change orders, when warranted are part of contracts, once awarded, but most municipalities and water districts cover their asses regarding additional charges above and beyond the contract terms with cleverly authored specifications which exclude almost any avenue for additional charges, ("contractor to verify pre-existing conditions", "all information is based on best available data", "Contractor to verify all dimensioning prior to bid","engineer assumes no responsibility of information provided by others") are some which can "bite you in the ass. What we are encountering are companies which are venturing into our market and have little or no experience with the costs associated with the industry. Stringent testing requirements, start up costs, training costs, and safety requirements which are not as enforced in the residential markets. The other type of contractors we are now facing are the "mom and pop" operations which have little or no GC costs associated with their operation.

To give an example: we just bid on a water treatment plant in Elizabeth a few weeks ago. We were 4th. The winning bidders' price was more than $370.000 less than our bid. We estimated the cost without profit margin to be higher than his bid. Bidders #2,and 3 (which BTW have been in "our" market for decades) were both within $40,000 of our bid.
WTF is he doing? Illegal labor? Using Legos in lieu of brick?

Oh well, back to estimating. Gotta sharpen that pencil.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #86
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
If I could tomorrow, I would scrap our avaya system and put in POTS lines. I no longer see the necessity for phones on ever desk with Moblie Phone, IM, and Email solutions.
depends on the company.. about 70% of our workforce are agents who communicate with our customers, and they use desk phones a lot. Due to the fact that we are split over several hundred locations I can see the benefits of skill based routing and some other features we will get with the new phone system (Siemens btw.). But I do not think that it will save us money and I also think it will cause a lot of troubles.. especially as we have several hundred locations. The technology is still interesting.. who would have guessed that you would get hundreds of server with a new phone technology... I certainly was surprised
LordHelmchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #87
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I work for software company.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #88
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Redefined:

I clean up messes.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #89
TUG
Just lovin Bronco Ball

We have had the same problem in our market with all the Electrical Contractors bidding the bigger commercial jobs. With the housing boom going bust we have a lot of residential contractors low balling the bids. As a union we never really have competed with the house ropers due to the wage differences between our compensation packages. The problem now is that they are bidding into areas that we as a union used to have a bigger market share of. The problem with these house ropers is they don't have the skill or experience to due these bigger jobs, but it isn't really about craftsmanship anymore it is about who has the lowest price.
TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #90
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

I pull double duty working as an admission counselor and also teach night classes.
ElwayMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #91
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

In college
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #92
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Neither, ha. It's a BS in Molecular Biology. I do downstream work in bioanalytical, developing assays for preclinical/clinical testing. I've only been doing it for a few years out of college here and it's really not for me. I'd like to get back in school, perhaps in a completely different area... business, econ, something along those lines. What about you?
You want to leave health care? Really? in this economy? I work for a large PBM/PPO as part of the P&T advisory committee as well as the daily processing of non formulary Drug requests and daily peer-peer consults on denied requests with physicians/CRNPs/PAs. I also do PRN work at clinics around the state of TX for extra $$(I still have student loans)
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #93
Phantom
Ring of Famer

I sit in my cube and fart alot while impersonating a SQL Server/Oracle DBA.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #94
mattleecrew
Let the games begin...

Art Director for healthcare ad agency
mattleecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #95
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

I'm an accountant.

I work for a company that does network security for government regulated businesses. So, the more regulations the governent makes, the more money people have to spend on what we offer!

My other job is my own business doing accounting services and payroll services for small companies. I basically do what Paychex and ADP offer to big companies but I offer it to small companies at much less than they do!
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #96
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngrll View Post
I'm an accountant.

I work for a company that does network security for government regulated businesses. So, the more regulations the governent makes, the more money people have to spend on what we offer!

My other job is my own business doing accounting services and payroll services for small companies. I basically do what Paychex and ADP offer to big companies but I offer it to small companies at much less than they do!
All that and cute damn someone got a steal when he got you. I was a day late and a dollar short

Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #97
cbs1177
Ring of Famer

crap I wrote a big blog and now b/c of time out it was erased. Oh well basically I work at a seasonally outdoor manager restaurant within a private country club. So far we got raises and bonuses up to 3 % and we are having a better fiscal year then last year so far but The GM is preaching every staff meeting about cost, cost , cost. We really don't experience the super highs of the economy but we also are buffered against a slow economy so a little give and take. I personally would like to get to know more Food/Hospitality/Beverage people b/c of recent threads would like to talk about challenges and such as.
cbs1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #98
Vladimir
#1 Oregon Broncos fan

Go Ducks!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Dawkins!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngrll View Post
I'm an accountant.

I FKKING HATE ADP IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #99
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

I'm the District Manager for a distribution company that reaches over 330,000 customer's daily. I oversee all of Tucson AZ.

Last edited by DenverBound; 10-26-2009 at 08:36 PM..
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #100
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

I work for a State Farm Insurance agent. Started off as staff, earned my licenses and agreements and seven years later...I'm still staff! Ugh! I applied for positions with the company and no dice. Now I'm in school. Studying to be an accountant. Now the company is showing interest in me!
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote