The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #451
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens promoted Greg Mattison to defensive coordinator Monday, a move designed to maintain a sense of continuity on a unit that excelled under the departed Rex Ryan.

The 59-year-old Mattison was hired as Baltimore's linebackers coach last February. Although he has only one year of NFL experience, Mattison was defensive coordinator at Michigan, Notre Dame and Florida.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #452
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

PANTHERS NAME RON MEEKS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

Posted by Josh Alper on January 26, 2009, 4:53 p.m. EST

Ron Meeks didn’t have to wait long to find his next gig. The former Colts defensive coordinator, who resigned/jumped before he got pushed on January 20th, was named the new defensive coordinator for the Panthers on Monday.

“We are very pleased to add Ron to our coaching staff as defensive coordinator,” said Panthers head coach John Fox. “He is an outstanding teacher, who has enjoyed great success as a coordinator in the League and brings a strong background of coaching championship defenses.”

Meeks replaces Mike Trgovac, who turned down an offer to return to the Panthers and opted to take a job coaching the defensive line with the Packers. Meeks was the Colts’ defensive coordinator from 2002 until last week, and in that time his defenses finished in the top seven in points allowed in three of the last four seasons. In the other season the Colts won the Super Bowl.

As with every decision involving the Panthers defense this offseason, how the move affects their chances of keeping Julius Peppers will be discussed. Meeks’ defenses led to big sack numbers for defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, but they came in a 4-3 scheme. Peppers has expressed his desire to play in a 3-4 next season.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #453
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

RICO WILL RETURN, TOO

Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2009, 11:02 p.m. EST

On Sunday, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported that veteran quarterback Kerry Collins will return as the starter for Titans in 2009.

But Collins’ return as the top man on the depth chart doesn’t mean that the backup, a top-five pick three years ago, will be traded or cut.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Titans also intend to bring back Vince Young. Schefter’s report echoes comments made last month by owner Bud Adams.

Per Schefter, Young will return as the primary backup to Collins.

For his efforts, Young will receive a base salary of $2.16 million in 2009.

The following season, however, Young’s base salary skyrockets to $7.5 million. Even if there’s no salary cap in 2010, it’s a huge amount to pay to a guy who might not be playing.

And so it appears that 2010 will be Young’s “up-or-out” year with the Titans.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #454
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

MARTY B TV: Dallas Cowboy Martellus Bennett Freestyles I Get Money

Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #455
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

What a douchekateer.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #456
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

WARNER TO TEST THE MARKET?

Posted by Sheil Kapadia on January 27, 2009, 9:21 a.m.

Pending free agent Kurt Warner may want to test the free-agent waters, his agent Mark Bartelstein tells The Chicago Tribune.

“Look, Kurt has had a great time (with Arizona). He loves the coaching staff and the guys on the team. He has built great connections with his teammates. So certainly I think he would love to get something done,” Bartelstein said. “My view with players is always that once you get to free agency, you have earned the right to find out about yourself. You would be silly not to have an open mind.”

Bartelstein addressed Chicago as a possible destination for Warner.

“The Bears obviously have to figure out which direction they want to go with the quarterback thing,” Bartelstein said. “It has, obviously, been a point of contention for quite a while. We have to wait and see what they decide they want to do.”

According to The Tribune, Warner and the Cardinals discussed a new deal over the summer and earlier this season, but the two sides weren’t able to come to an agreement.

Bartelstein said he has talked to the Bears about adding Warner in the past.

“We have talked about Kurt a couple of different times,” Bartelstein said. “They felt like they had drafted [ Rex Grossman, in 2003] and they wanted to give [him] every chance to be successful.

“I think teams are learning more and more that you can’t ever assume that something is going to happen. You can never assume that someone is going to develop. Your window in free agency and contracts and injuries … your window is so small now. So when you think you have a chance to win, you had better go try and do it.”
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #457
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

Pending free agent Kurt Warner may want to test the free-agent waters, his agent Mark Bartelstein tells The Chicago Tribune.

“Look, Kurt has had a great time (with Arizona). He loves the coaching staff and the guys on the team. He has built great connections with his teammates. So certainly I think he would love to get something done,” Bartelstein said. “My view with players is always that once you get to free agency, you have earned the right to find out about yourself. You would be silly not to have an open mind.”

“The Bears obviously have to figure out which direction they want to go with the quarterback thing,” Bartelstein said. “It has, obviously, been a point of contention for quite a while. We have to wait and see what they decide they want to do.”

According to The Tribune, Warner and the Cardinals discussed a new deal over the summer and earlier this season, but the two sides weren’t able to come to an agreement.

“We have talked about Kurt a couple of different times,” Bartelstein said. “They felt like they had drafted [ Rex Grossman, in 2003] and they wanted to give [him] every chance to be successful.

“I think teams are learning more and more that you can’t ever assume that something is going to happen. You can never assume that someone is going to develop. Your window in free agency and contracts and injuries … your window is so small now. So when you think you have a chance to win, you had better go try and do it.”
Nice that this comes out right before the Super Bowl. Is Bartelstein a Steeler's fan?
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #458
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casson View Post
Nice that this comes out right before the Super Bowl. Is Bartelstein a Steeler's fan?
yep, very interesting timing on this issue...
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #459
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

This is tame. There's nothing I wouldn't give for a report of Kurt Warner being seen doing lines off of a stripper's boobs or being arrested for soliciting a prostitute.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #460
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
This is tame. There's nothing I wouldn't give for a report of Kurt Warner being seen doing lines off of a stripper's boobs or being arrested for soliciting a prostitute.
Kurt is terrified of this woman....
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #461
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Are you serious? How can you not root for a guy like Kurt Warner? A good guy who wins at every level he's played at. This actually might be the first year that I root for a NFC team to win the SB...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #462
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooptyHoops View Post
Are you serious? How can you not root for a guy like Kurt Warner? A good guy who wins at every level he's played at. This actually might be the first year that I root for a NFC team to win the SB...
Nothing against him......I just think it would be the best possible news story of the week. Nothing else would hold a candle to it.

And "eff you" for not rooting for TB when they won it.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #463
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Nothing against him......I just think it would be the best possible news story of the week. Nothing else would hold a candle to it.
I would agree with that...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #464
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

And "eff you" for not rooting for TB when they won it.
Oh man that was so awesome. Gruden was my hero.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #465
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

FLOYD REESE LANDS IN NEW ENGLAND

Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2009, 1:52 p.m. EST

Former Titans Floyd Reese spent plenty of time in late 2008 campaigning for vacant and not-so-vacant G.M. jobs.

As far as anyone can tell, he didn’t get a whiff.

But with Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli leaving New England to become the new General Manager of the Chiefs, Reese got the one job for which he didn’t publicly politick.

The Patriots have announced that Reese has been hired as a “senior football adviser.” He’ll work with new director of player personnel Nick Caserio.

“We consider ourselves fortunate to have the opportunity to add someone with Floyd Reese’s NFL experience and expertise to our staff,” said Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft in a release. “Floyd will be a tremendous asset serving Coach Belichick in an advisory role.”

“Floyd and I go back a long way, practically to the beginning for both of us,” added coach Bill Belichick. “He has handled as much as one person can possibly handle in this league and to a certain extent, so has Nick. In Nick and Floyd, we have two outstanding men who each bring a wealth of knowledge and flexibility to this organization. I look forward to joining with both of them and working toward the common goal of our team’s improvement and success.”

Reese’s contract wasn’t renewed in Tennessee after the 2006 season, and he has since been working for ESPN. His effort to campaign for openings in Detroit and Kansas City were viewed in some circles as misguided but not inappropriate. However, when he began to muse publicly regarding the possibility of becoming the next G.M. of the Browns while Phil Savage still had the job, one league source opined to us that Reese had crossed the line.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #466
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

OBAMA PULLING FOR PITTSBURGH

Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2009, 5:09 p.m. EST

Maybe it’s never too early think ahead to the next election.

With Pennsylvania certain to be a so-called “battleground state” again in 2012, Barack Obama got a head start on currying favor with at least half of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by declaring his allegiance to the Steelers for Super Bowl XLIII.

At least that’s what Steelers owner Dan Rooney said earlier this week.

“He said it, and all his staff, they’re rooting for us,” Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (via Newsday).

It’s no surprise; Rooney supported Obama fervently and aggressively during the election, and Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill backed Arizona native son, John McCain.

Of course, there’s a chance that Obama’s figurative waving of a Terrible Towel could rile up the Cards.

“We know that everything is on the line and that [President] Obama actually wants Pittsburgh to win,” Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said during Media Day. “That’s kind of crazy when the President wants another team to win, but again we’ve been against all odds this season and I’m pretty sure that [Coach Whisenhunt] will come up with a great game plan and we’ll be ready on Sunday.”

Though we’re officially neutral on this whole Super Bowl rooting thing, we’d kind of like to see the Cardinals pay a visit to the White House to give Obama a ceremonial jersey, with a side of humble pie.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #467
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Last season's opener knocked Tom Brady out of football. He's hoping next season's launches his comeback.

Brady expects to be ready for the New England Patriots' first game of the 2009 season, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith on Monday. He suffered a season-ending knee injury in last season's first game and has had multiple procedures and battled infection since then. There was some question whether he would be ready for the opener.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #468
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

SIMEON RICE CALLS JON GRUDEN A “SCUMBAG”

Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2009, 8:58 p.m. EST

In a Tuesday interview with Sirius NFL Radio, former Buccaneers defensive end Simeon Rice told Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan of Movin’ The Chains that Rice believes former Bucs coach Jon Gruden is a “scumbag.”

“You get what you deserve,” Rice said. “That’s what Jon said. He got it now. Everybody gets what they deserve. . . .

“You look at what he did when Chris [Simms] damn near died on the field he wanted to release him right when he got injured. I get hurt, my shoulder’s torn off the bone. This dude releases me. You know what I mean? I’m your guy. The list goes on. Keenan McCardell, that situation was a debacle. Keyshawn Johnson, another situation [that] was a debacle. Joey Galloway, which was his man, was in the dog house all year because he got injured, broke his ankle or whatever. Brad Johnson, that situation was bad. Brings Jeff Garcia in here,
oh, he’s going to change things. I helped recruit him [and he] released me, kept Jeff and then put him in the dog house. Gets rid of Brian Greise, brings him, starts a controversy. It was chaotic. I’m giving you facts.”

And then Rice gave opinions.

“How I feel personally? I could tell you that, too. I think he’s a scumbag,” Rice said. “I think he’s a scumbag personally. That’s when he’s telling you one thing and… You know what he told me? ‘Simeon you’ll be here in the next five years.’ I got injured [and] this man’s never said one word to me. I won a Super Bowl for you. I got 13 sacks, 12, 15 every year for you. I balled. I got injured [and] you let me go like it was nothing.”
Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #469
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
SIMEON RICE CALLS JON GRUDEN A “SCUMBAG”

Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2009, 8:58 p.m. EST

“How I feel personally? I could tell you that, too. I think he’s a scumbag,” Rice said. “I think he’s a scumbag personally. That’s when he’s telling you one thing and… You know what he told me? ‘Simeon you’ll be here in the next five years.’ I got injured [and] this man’s never said one word to me. I won a Super Bowl for you. I got 13 sacks, 12, 15 every year for you. I balled. I got injured [and] you let me go like it was nothing.”
Yup and Simeon had no problem taking Bowlen's money knowing he wasn't going to do jack with his jacked up shoulder.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #470
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casson View Post
Yup and Simeon had no problem taking Bowlen's money knowing he wasn't going to do jack with his jacked up shoulder.
Dude needs to shut his trap....he has not done anything relevant in the NFL since 2005.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #471
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Way to go, Hot 97. I guess I'd be pissy too if I had the same amount of sacks (3) as John Freakin' Engelberger over the last 3 seasons.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #472
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Oakland Raiders have decided on Tom Cable as their head coach for the 2009 season, a source close to another candidate for the Raiders' head coaching job has told ESPN's Michael Smith.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #473
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Has anyone heard anything about Jon Gruden? Is he just going to have to sit out the year?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #474
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:

He does not have a prayer to be successful in Chicago. In AZ he has 3 excellent Receivers. All duh bears have are a RB and an aging D.

Plus no way the McCaskets pay for a big time QB.

They should pay Orton and upgrade the WR's.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #475
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I gotta believe that grudens act gets old, esp. if your not winning
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote