The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #26
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
I'd say Eastwood's more recent movies of Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, and Letters From Iwo Jima are a better comparison than Space Cowboys.
well I havent seen those movies .........So why would I comment on them ? or use them as comparisons?.....use your ****ing head for something besides a hat rack
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #27
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I just got done reading the book "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a very compelling story about a kid who graduates college, and then hits the road for adventure across America. I absolutely loved the book, and so I picked up the movie - Great freaking movie. They did a fantastic job with the story.

Besides that, I'm becoming a big Emile Hirsh fan. He was great in Lords of Dogtown. I thought he did well in Alpha Dog too. This role, however, was special. Especially towards the end of the show. A very believable performance from an up and comer.

I highly recommend this flick.

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #28
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Slumdog Millionaire - currently out in select cities

The most simply entertaining 2 hours ive had at the movies in a long time.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - this movie, while quite hollywood, wowed me with its technology but more so made me sombrely reflect on family and the passage of time. It's a beautiful film.

Gran Torino - Clint Eastwood is my favourite director. He doesn't disappoint here. There's a suprising amout of humour here... and his symbolism is in full force. Great little movie.

Man on Wire (DVD / Netflix instant) - Riveting documentary about the guy that tight roped between the two WTC towers in 74.

Iraq in Fragments (DVD / Netflix instant) - Beautifully shot documentary with three stories - a sunni boy in baghdad, the sadrists in basra and the kurds in the north. Crazy stuff there. Nice to see a documentary from an Iraqi perspective for once.
Two weekends ago I saw Slumdog Millionaire. Its not horrible, in fact, Id say its good. But its also way overhyped for what it is. Theres such a dearth of movies though.

One movie to avoid is Paul Blart. I saw that Saturday. Wow, that sucked.

One movie that Id definitely recommend is Tell No One. Its a french movie that should be showing available on Net Flix soon if its not already. I saw it a few months ago. It was no The Lives of Others but it was an excellent film.

One movie that I want to see is Che.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #29
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I just got done reading the book "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a very compelling story about a kid who graduates college, and then hits the road for adventure across America. I absolutely loved the book, and so I picked up the movie - Great freaking movie. They did a fantastic job with the story.

Besides that, I'm becoming a big Emile Hirsh fan. He was great in Lords of Dogtown. I thought he did well in Alpha Dog too. This role, however, was special. Especially towards the end of the show. A very believable performance from an up and comer.

hmmmmmmmm you know I have seen people like that , living life on their terms ...... might be a good movie
Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #30
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
hmmmmmmmm you know I have seen people like that , living life on their terms ...... might be a good movie
You'd love it Spider. It's right up your alley.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #31
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
You'd love it Spider. It's right up your alley.
might be better then gran Torino ........
Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #32
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Milk and Doubt are both worth seeing
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #33
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:

I love that movie. Then again, I'm an overly-idealistic, disillusioned college-ager so I'm an easy mark for it, haha.

That said, I think it would appeal to a lot of people--great coming-of-age/American roadtrip film. Also, agreed about Hirsh. This might have been his career defining role, even young as he is.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #34
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I just read a News story about a woman that disappeared in 1997 ( I forget the country) but she had been living in the woods , they found her good health .... I guess she just wanted to get away, TJ movie is just like that .......
Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #35
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I just read a News story about a woman that disappeared in 1997 ( I forget the country) but she had been living in the woods , they found her good health .... I guess she just wanted to get away, TJ movie is just like that .......
hehe
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #36
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

That's plan B for me if the systems break down to live in the wilderness of either Baja or the Olympic Peninsular
Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #37
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
Check out Taken with Liam Neeson, it comes out at the end of the month. I've seen it, don't ask how.
I am looking forward to seeing that movie when it comes out....the previews looked great.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 01-19-2009 at 10:14 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #38
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I really enjoyed the book....but have not seen the movie yet.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #39
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Saw 'Valkyrie' on Saturday.

I thought Tom Cruise was very good in the role of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #40
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

I thought Tom Cruise was very good in the role of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.
Plus, his accent was spot on.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #41
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I want'a see that
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #42
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I think I had a special place for slumdog since i was in mumbai a year before the attacks... the memories came back pretty vividly... it was also sad to see the victoria terminus in so many shots (one of the attacks was there). Anyways, I totally loved it. But I'm from Hong Kong and I've grown up around a lot of India culture, with id say 50% indian friends so maybe my taste is quite specific.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #43
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
One movie to avoid is Paul Blart. I saw that Saturday. Wow, that sucked.

One movie that Id definitely recommend is Tell No One. Its a french movie that should be showing available on Net Flix soon if its not already. I saw it a few months ago. It was no The Lives of Others but it was an excellent film.

One movie that I want to see is Che.
Did you actually have expectations going into Paul Blart? 30 second ads were more than enough for me.

I've heard good things about Tell No One. I'll have to check that one out. Glad to see someone else here saw Lives of Others. Outstanding film.

Che does look intriguing. I've heard they did a good job of keeping it fairly apolitical (if that is possible in a film about Che) instead of sensationalizing his life, which I tend to prefer in biopics. The Oscar voters apparently can't understand a biopic if there isn't swelling music every other scene or trite speeches at the end to wrap things up, but I appreciate a director that gives the audience enough credit to come to its own conclusion.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #44
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Did you actually have expectations going into Paul Blart? 30 second ads were more than enough for me.

I've heard good things about Tell No One. I'll have to check that one out. Glad to see someone else here saw Lives of Others. Outstanding film.

Che does look intriguing. I've heard they did a good job of keeping it fairly apolitical (if that is possible in a film about Che) instead of sensationalizing his life, which I tend to prefer in biopics. The Oscar voters apparently can't understand a biopic if there isn't swelling music every other scene or trite speeches at the end to wrap things up, but I appreciate a director that gives the audience enough credit to come to its own conclusion.
I expected something light with some laughs in Paul Blart. My expectations were calibrated for what it appeared to be on ads, but even with somewhat lower standards, it was still a disappontment. You know the plots going to be flimsy but you at least hope for a few laughs but there were very few.

Yeah, Ive taken to watching mostly Indies/arthouse and foreign films (namely french movies). Theyre a lot better than what hollywood is putting out...its been that way for a while actually.

Last edited by lex; 01-19-2009 at 11:14 PM..
Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #45
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

Agreed.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #46
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
Check out Taken with Liam Neeson, it comes out at the end of the month. I've seen it, don't ask how.
Agreed... Taken is amazing. I've seen it twice in the last month.

A lovely program for movies or anything would be http://www.graboid.com
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #47
slyinky

Thar she Blows!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
The Lives of Others was great, I'll have to check out Tell No One. A French film that I would highly recommend is Cache, if you haven't seen it. I also loved Irreversible but can't say that I recommend it on account of it being very disturbing.

Caché / Hidden
slyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #48
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Fantastic, this has given me more movies I forgot about. I do want to see Taken too, forgotten about that. The previews look great, but you know I have noticed though there seem to be a lot of good dramas or possibly action flicks, there is a dearth of decent comedies. I mean even last year had Juno which I liked. Still this is a good place to start.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #49
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyinky View Post
The Lives of Others was great, I'll have to check out Tell No One. A French film that I would highly recommend is Cache, if you haven't seen it. I also loved Irreversible but can't say that I recommend it on account of it being very disturbing.

Caché / Hidden

Yeah, I saw Cache in the theater a couple of years ago. Its ok. I thought it could have been better.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 AM   #50
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Independent View Post
Fantastic, this has given me more movies I forgot about. I do want to see Taken too, forgotten about that. The previews look great, but you know I have noticed though there seem to be a lot of good dramas or possibly action flicks, there is a dearth of decent comedies. I mean even last year had Juno which I liked. Still this is a good place to start.
Have you seen Smart People? It also has Ellen Page in it. I actually thought it was a lot better than Juno. Another good movie that Ive seen recently (thought I think it came out in 07) was The Visitor.