The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #351
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

REPORT: FAVRE DOESN’T LIKE PLAYING FOR MANGINI

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2008, 12:11 p.m.

Apart from a nagging shoulder injury that has gotten worse over the past few weeks, a major factor that will influence whether quarterback Brett Favre will return to the Jets in 2009 is whether and to what extent he’s happy.

Per FOX’s Jay Glazer, Favre isn’t happy playing for coach Eric Mangini.

The problem? In Green Bay, Favre had his own set of rules. In New York, Favre is treated like everyone else.

He regularly is called to the “principal’s office” to answer questions about the basis for Favre’s in-game decisions. Also, Mangini has called Favre out in front of the team.

So if Favre plays next year, it apparently won’t be for the Jets.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #352
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Say what you want about Al but that's quite a record.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #353
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
I can see it happening. They have nothing to play for and Carolina will probably rest the starters.
Carolina needs the game to win the division so I don't think they will be resting anyone. If Carolina loses and Atlanta wins then the Panthers drop all the way down to the 5th spot and the Falcons get the 2nd seed and a first round bye.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #354
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Brees is 62 yards from the record with 3:40 to go and Carolina ball.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #355
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

ROMO COLLAPSES IN THE SHOWER

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2008, 11:08 p.m. EST

After the Cowboys’ season completed its collapse on the field in Philadelphia, Dallas quarterback Tony Romo reportedly collapsed in the showers.

The incident was alarming for the other players who were in the shower with Romo, and a stretcher was brought to the locker room before Romo was able to regain his composure.

Though the collapse is being attributed to a rib injury that Romo suffered during the 44-6 loss to the Eagles, Romo also missed a couple of days of practice due to an illness.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #356
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

PETERSON WINS RUSHING TITLE

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2008, 11:37 p.m. EST

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson finished his second NFL season as the league’s leading rusher.

Peterson churned up 1,760 yards, 61 more than Michael Turner of the Falcons. Peterson averaged 4.8 yards per carry.

DeAngelo Williams of the Panthers finished third, with 1,515 yards.

Peterson’s performance could generate some MVP votes, but the favorite at this point seems to be Peyton Manning of the Colts, who recovered from a serious knee injury to lead his team to nine straight wins.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #357
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

MARINELLI OUT

Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2008, 9:06 a.m. EST

A day after completing the first 0-16 season in NFL history, Lions coach Rod Marinelli has gotten his parting gift.

Literally.

Jay Glazer of FOX and Adam Schefter of NFL Network report that the Lions have fired Marinelli.

Marinelli was 10-38 in three years on the job. When hired in 2006, Marinelli was touted highly by various voices in the media, even though he’d never previously been so much as interviewed for a head-coaching job.

Per Schefter, the Lions also fired the entire defensive staff and all offensive assistants except running backs coach Sam Gash and receivers coach Shawn Jefferson.

For the Lions, it’s a good start. And the team shouldn’t stop there. After the supreme embarrassment of an 0-16 season, everyone should be fired.

If we learned nothing else this year, it’s that a bad team can reverse its fortunes quickly.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #358
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

MANGINI OUT!

Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2008, 9:07 a.m. EST

A league source tells us that the Jets have fired coach Eric Mangini.

The move will be announced at a 10:00 a.m. EST press conference.

Wow.

(As of 9:15 a.m. EST, the termination of Mangini has been confirmed by ESPN 1050 in New York, Jay Glazer of FOX, and Adam Schefter of NFL Network. Per Glazer, owner Woody Johnson was “visibly upset and agitated” after Sunday’s loss to the Dolphins.)

And so it becomes clear that Mangini has taken the fall for a season of unfulfilled expectations after G.M. Mike Tannenbaum broke from the concept of building through the draft and rounded up a bunch of high-priced veterans.

At the press conference, it’ll be interesting to see what if anything Johnson says regarding his comments from March 2008, during which he declared that Mangini and Tannenbaum “absolutely” would be back in 2009.

“I really think it takes time to build,” Johnson said. “You can’t do it in one season.”

We’ll have more to say about this one after the press conference.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #359
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Oakland Raiders are in the process of requesting permission to speak with New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride about their vacant head coach position, according to a report from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

As the Giants enter their bye week for the opening round of the playoffs, Gilbride is expected to take the opportunity to interview for the job. New York (12-4) is the NFC's top seed and has home-field advantage throughout the postseason.

However, Raiders sources tell Mortensen that interim head coach Tom Cable has a solid chance of retaining the post.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #360
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
MARINELLI OUT

Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2008, 9:06 a.m. EST

A day after completing the first 0-16 season in NFL history, Lions coach Rod Marinelli has gotten his parting gift.

Literally.

Jay Glazer of FOX and Adam Schefter of NFL Network report that the Lions have fired Marinelli.

Marinelli was 10-38 in three years on the job. When hired in 2006, Marinelli was touted highly by various voices in the media, even though heíd never previously been so much as interviewed for a head-coaching job.

Per Schefter, the Lions also fired the entire defensive staff and all offensive assistants except running backs coach Sam Gash and receivers coach Shawn Jefferson.

For the Lions, itís a good start. And the team shouldnít stop there. After the supreme embarrassment of an 0-16 season, everyone should be fired.

If we learned nothing else this year, itís that a bad team can reverse its fortunes quickly.

We need to FireShanny and bring this guy and his 10-38 record in!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #361
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

MARTZ GONE

Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2008, 4:35 p.m.

The San Francisco 49ers have announced that offensive coordinator Mike Martz has been dismissed from the team.

“After an evaluation period I felt it was best to go in a different direction,” coach Mike Singletary regarding the decision to terminate Martz’s employment. “This was not an easy decision because I appreciate Mike Martz, and I enjoyed working with him. He is a true professional, and I wish him the best in the future. I do recognize the need for a long term solution on the offensive side of the ball.”

After Adam Schefter of NFL Network reported that Martz had been dumped, Martz told Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat that Martz was in his office, drinking coffee.

As one media source observed in the wake of the announcement that Martz had indeed been fired, “Martz might want to finish that coffee and get the hell out.”
Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #362
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Did I hear something about Shanahan might be out in Denver?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #363
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Larry Johnson has requested he be released or traded from the Kansas Shiity Chiefs.

Saw it on the bottom line, sorry no link... or interest in him. Just thought I'd point out that the Chiefs still suck!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #364
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

BROWNS LOOK AT SHANAHAN, SCHWARTZ

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 31, 2008, 3:40 p.m. EST

The Cleveland Browns are interested in hiring the newly available Mike Shanahan for their vacant head coaching search, and have also received permission to talk to Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

An unnamed source told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the team’s attitude toward contacting Shanahan is, “How can you not?”

A separate Plain Dealer report says the Browns have asked for and received permission to interview Schwartz, who worked as a scout for the Browns from 1993 to 1995, when Bill Belichick was head coach. Schwartz is also a candidate for the head coaching vacancy in Detroit. Under the rules for assistants on teams with playoff byes, Schwartz can interview this week and then will not be available for interviews until the Titans’ postseason is over.

Other candidates for the Browns job include former Jets coach Eric Mangini and Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #365
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

That would suck donkey balls if Shanny was the head coach in Cleveland.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #366
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I don't want Shanny coaching in Kansas City or Cleveland.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #367
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

BROWNS WANT ANSWER FROM PIOLI TODAY

Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2009, 10:34 a.m.

Browns owner Randy Lerner wants Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli to take over Cleveland’s football operations.

And, according to the Boston Herald, Lerner wants an answer right now.

Well, not right now. But today.

Per the Herald, Lerner and Pioli met Wednesday in New York. Citing unnamed sources with the Browns organizations, the Herald reports that there’s a feeling that Pioli made “demands so high that perhaps he really doesn’t want to leave” New England.

The Browns reportedly made a “huge” financial offer. Again, however, “unnamed sources” say that “some of his demands were impossible for any team to meet.”

Though we routinely dabble in unnamed sources, we’re also sensitive to their potential agendas. In this case, if the unnamed sources are currently employed in any type of a football capacity by the Browns, the unnamed sources have a very keen interest in doing anything they can to avoid the arrival of a guy who’d come in and fire whoever needs to be fired.

And as to the notion of the Browns wanting to force the issue, one of our readers pointed out Wednesday that the Browns went down this same path ten years ago, when they wanted a quick answer from Brian Billick — and got Chris Palmer instead.

So just as Billick landed in Baltimore, the Browns could be pushing Pioli into the arms of the Chiefs.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #368
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

FAVRE CRITICIZED BY JETS’ MVP

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 1, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

New York Jets star quarterback Brett Favre recently caught some not-so-friendly fire from Jets running back Thomas Jones, who sharply criticized the veteran signal caller and suggested that Favre should have been benched during a three-interception meltdown against the Miami Dolphins to close the season.

During an interview with New York radio station Hot 97 FM, Jones took some shots at Favre, breaking the silence from a normally supportive locker room.

“We’re a team and we win together . . . but at the same time, you can’t turn the ball over and expect to win,” Jones said, via Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News. “The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that’s just reality. If I were to sit here and say, ‘Oh, man, it’s okay,’ that’s not reality.

“The reality is, you throw interceptions, I’m [ticked] off, I don’t like it. You know what I’m saying? I don’t like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn’t like it. . . .

“If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game. You’re jeopardizing the whole team because you’re having a bad day. To me, that’s not fair to everybody else. You’re not the only one on the team.”

Jones, who later accused Favre indirectly of “giving the game up,” became the first member of the organization to publicly criticize Favre. (Earlier this week, one teammate made critical comments about Favre without permitting the player’s name to be disclosed. For all we or anyone else knows, the player was Jones.)

It’s not known whether other players in the locker room share Jones’ feelings. But since the players voted Jones (and not Favre) the team’s MVP for 2008, anyone who previously had been on the fence might now feel the same way as Jones.

Obviously, it sets the stage for dysfunction next season, if Favre returns. But the wisdom (intentional or otherwise) of Jones’ words is that, if they spark an anti-Favre sentiment in the locker room, the prideful Lord Favre will surely not want to play for the team again in 2009.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #369
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
FAVRE CRITICIZED BY JETSí MVP

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 1, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

New York Jets star quarterback Brett Favre recently caught some not-so-friendly fire from Jets running back Thomas Jones, who sharply criticized the veteran signal caller and suggested that Favre should have been benched during a three-interception meltdown against the Miami Dolphins to close the season.

During an interview with New York radio station Hot 97 FM, Jones took some shots at Favre, breaking the silence from a normally supportive locker room.

ďWeíre a team and we win together . . . but at the same time, you canít turn the ball over and expect to win,Ē Jones said, via Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News. ďThe other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, thatís just reality. If I were to sit here and say, ĎOh, man, itís okay,í thatís not reality.

ďThe reality is, you throw interceptions, Iím [ticked] off, I donít like it. You know what Iím saying? I donít like it, I know everybody else on the team doesnít like it. . . .

ďIf somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game. Youíre jeopardizing the whole team because youíre having a bad day. To me, thatís not fair to everybody else. Youíre not the only one on the team.Ē

Jones, who later accused Favre indirectly of ďgiving the game up,Ē became the first member of the organization to publicly criticize Favre. (Earlier this week, one teammate made critical comments about Favre without permitting the playerís name to be disclosed. For all we or anyone else knows, the player was Jones.)

Itís not known whether other players in the locker room share Jonesí feelings. But since the players voted Jones (and not Favre) the teamís MVP for 2008, anyone who previously had been on the fence might now feel the same way as Jones.

Obviously, it sets the stage for dysfunction next season, if Favre returns. But the wisdom (intentional or otherwise) of Jonesí words is that, if they spark an anti-Favre sentiment in the locker room, the prideful Lord Favre will surely not want to play for the team again in 2009.
Dang, Favre getting called out by a RB...I never thought I would see the day....
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #370
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Here in NY guys like Kerry Rhodes and Jerrico Cotchery having been saying they don't mind if Favre comes back but they want him to participate in the offseason.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #371
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Damn! This is a fun thread.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #372
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3806794

Dungy considers leaving NFL for good
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #373
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Dungy is about the only other head coach I would want over Shanahan right now.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #374
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I'd take him...or Cowher
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #375
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I'd like his GM