The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #326
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Drew Brees needs 402 passing yards versus Carolina next week to break Dan Marino's all-time single season mark of 5,084 passing yards set in 1984.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #327
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

THE ABOMINABLE SHAUN MONSTER

Posted by Mike Florio on December 22, 2008, 1:08 p.m. EST

Several readers have forwarded to us amazing video of Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis, a week after he delivered a last-minute win over the Bills, delivering a huge glob of snow into the stands at Qwest Field.

We think that Mr. Ellis will soon be hearing from the league about this one.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #328
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Fan arraigned for tackling Patriots LB Seau

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - A football spectator pleaded not guilty to charges of trespassing and assault and battery for tackling New England linebacker Junior Seau on the sidelines during the team's 47-7 win over Arizona on Sunday.

Todd Kobus, of Attleboro, appeared in Wrentham District Court on Monday where a pretrial hearing was set for Feb. 17.
"I'm just a big fan of Junior Seau," the 31-year-old Kobus said in court. "I meant to give him a big hug. I absolutely did not mean to tackle him or anything along those lines. It was a stupid lapse in judgment."
The ticket account that includes the seat Kobus occupied was revoked by the Patriots, team spokesman Stacey James said. He said he did not know if Kobus was the owner of the account.
The club had no comment on whether it would review its security procedures, James said.
Seau, a 12-time Pro Bowler, had sat out the season before rejoining New England for its game at Seattle on Dec. 7. He was their leading tackler Sunday in his third game with the team this year.
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #329
Tom H.
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
http://www.bostonherald.com/gallerie...allery_id=2123
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #330
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Damn, the article says he's 31, but he looks at least 41 in those pics. Must be all that booze running through his system.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #331
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - A football spectator pleaded not guilty to charges of trespassing and assault and battery for tackling New England linebacker Junior Seau on the sidelines during the team's 47-7 win over Arizona on Sunday.

Todd Kobus, of Attleboro, appeared in Wrentham District Court on Monday where a pretrial hearing was set for Feb. 17.
"I'm just a big fan of Junior Seau," the 31-year-old Kobus said in court. "I meant to give him a big hug. I absolutely did not mean to tackle him or anything along those lines. It was a stupid lapse in judgment."
The ticket account that includes the seat Kobus occupied was revoked by the Patriots, team spokesman Stacey James said. He said he did not know if Kobus was the owner of the account.
The club had no comment on whether it would review its security procedures, James said.
Seau, a 12-time Pro Bowler, had sat out the season before rejoining New England for its game at Seattle on Dec. 7. He was their leading tackler Sunday in his third game with the team this year.
Can this guy really tackle? We could use him this weekend.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #332
uplink
Ring of Famer

I'm from DC. Fans here and numerous sports radio hosts complain constantly about the redskins. Started during the Norv Turner years, this thing seems to follow him around. Fans are kind of like the owner, want it all right now SB, undefeted, etc...

It was always on the coach, comparing to the Joe Gibbs days. Then they got Gibbs back for this very reason and even he couldn't do anything. I think the attitude of the fans and city does have some influence on the team, I can't see how the skins will every be great again in this environment.

They even complain here after a good win for example last weekends victory 10-3 over a decent eagles team. 'Didn't score enough points'.

Right now Zorn is on thin ice, seems the win over the eagles may have saved his butt for another year.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #333
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Drew Brees needs 402 passing yards versus Carolina next week to break Dan Marino's all-time single season mark of 5,084 passing yards set in 1984.
I can see it happening. They have nothing to play for and Carolina will probably rest the starters.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #334
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Jim Zorn will return as coach of the Washington Redskins in 2009, team executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said Monday, according to The Washington Post.

Zorn, in his first season as a head coach, has been criticized as the Redskins stumbled down the stretch following a promising start. But Cerrato, who previously has said the team has not discussed replacing Zorn, said Monday that Zorn would return, according to the report.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #335
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

POLICE FIND MORE GUNS AT BURRESS HOME

Posted by Mike Florio on December 24, 2008, 8:19 a.m. EST

In a Tuesday search of the New Jersey home of Giants receiver Plaxico Burress, members of the NYPD and local authorities found two more guns — a 9-mm handgun and a rifle — along with ammunition.

Police previously had recovered from Burress the .40-caliber Glock that Burress allegedly had in his possession at a Manhattan night club on November 29.

Authorities also seized the pants that Plax was wearing when he added two new holes to his body.

As a league source with knowledge of the legal system remarked in reaction to the news, “Ben Brafman is as bad as Larry Woodward. The first questions you ask are do you have and firearms? Are they registered? And then [you say], ‘Give them to me.’”

Brafman is the high-priced, high-profile lawyer Burress hired in the wake of the incident; Woodward is Mike Vick’s longtime lawyer, who could have tried to get Vick to come clean and cut a deal before the whole dogfighting thing mushroomed into a mess that resulted in a 23-month prison term.

Then again, it’s possible that Woodward tried to get Vick to see the light, and that Vick opted not to listen. And thus it’s possible that Brafman specifically asked Burress if he had any more guns, and that Burress lied to Brafman in response.

If so, don’t be surprised if Buress ends up with new counsel before too long. If Brafman doesn’t trust his client, it becomes extremely difficult for Brafman to be as effective as he possibly can be.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #336
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
THE ABOMINABLE SHAUN MONSTER

Posted by Mike Florio on December 22, 2008, 1:08 p.m. EST

Several readers have forwarded to us amazing video of Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis, a week after he delivered a last-minute win over the Bills, delivering a huge glob of snow into the stands at Qwest Field.

We think that Mr. Ellis will soon be hearing from the league about this one.

Ellis got fined $10,000!!!
Selective journalism is a disgrace! And the NFL using 5 of the 53 seconds to make a decision is a absolute disgrace!

If you search for the FULL video on YouTube, there are TWO chunks of ice thrown.
25 seconds in, the first is thrown by a "fan" above the players exit and IMO was GENUINELY intended to hit one of the Jets player!
36 seconds in, Ellis picks up the chunk of snow and lobs it at a fan, stupid we all know, but no-one got hurt.
46 seconds in, Fan with the snow Ellis threw holds it up like a trophy for all to see and then (I think) even does his version of the Heisman pose.

What a joke! Goddell blows!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #337
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
If you search for the FULL video on YouTube, there are TWO chunks of ice thrown.
25 seconds in, the first is thrown by a "fan" above the players exit and IMO was GENUINELY intended to hit one of the Jets player!
36 seconds in, Ellis picks up the chunk of snow and lobs it at a fan, stupid we all know, but no-one got hurt.
46 seconds in, Fan with the snow Ellis threw holds it up like a trophy for all to see and then (I think) even does his version of the Heisman pose.

What a joke! Goddell blows!
Two? If you watch the full video, you see a whole hell of a lot more than just TWO chunks of ice thrown. The players are being pelted by everyone in the stands for who knows how long....
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #338
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Two? If you watch the full video, you see a whole hell of a lot more than just TWO chunks of ice thrown. The players are being pelted by everyone in the stands for who knows how long....
(Yeah, I was counting "chunks" though)
Where's a jets fan when you want one, maybe they could watch it and count ALL the snowballs in the video ... You think we could find one who can count past 21?

That's why I HATE teams on the West Coast, the "it's a joke, who cares!" attitude is crap. Throw a snowball at a Giants game and see how long it takes until you're ejected, fined and the OWNER of your seat loses his Season Ticket rights!
It's a MUTUAL respect thing!

(Did you hear some stupid Pats fan "ran into/tackled" Junior Seau on Sunday ... THAT seat is now available for this week and next season!!)

Last edited by GoBroncos DownUnder; 12-24-2008 at 08:52 AM..
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #339
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
I'm from DC. Fans here and numerous sports radio hosts complain constantly about the redskins. Started during the Norv Turner years, this thing seems to follow him around. Fans are kind of like the owner, want it all right now SB, undefeted, etc...

It was always on the coach, comparing to the Joe Gibbs days. Then they got Gibbs back for this very reason and even he couldn't do anything. I think the attitude of the fans and city does have some influence on the team, I can't see how the skins will every be great again in this environment.

They even complain here after a good win for example last weekends victory 10-3 over a decent eagles team. 'Didn't score enough points'.

Right now Zorn is on thin ice, seems the win over the eagles may have saved his butt for another year.

Fellow DCer here, Uplink. Welcome to the Mane. You probably know by now that Zorn's back next year.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #340
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

STEELERS WON’T BLOCK COWHER RETURN

Posted by Mike Florio on December 24, 2008, 3:55 p.m. EST

When Steelers coach Bill Cowher resigned with a year left on his contract, there were some rumblings from within the organization that the franchise might not voluntarily agree to permit Cowher to join another team without compensation, if/when he returns to the NFL.

But it appears that the Steelers wouldn’t get in Cowher’s way if he wants to return. On Tuesday, Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said that there’s no agreement between the team and Cowher that would prevent him from returning to the NFL and coaching the Browns.

“We got along and continue to get along, but I have never taken the position that he shouldn’t coach,” Rooney told Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

That said, Rooney doesn’t envision Cowher returning in 2009.

“I will say to you that every time I talk to him and this subject comes up — and the subject does come up almost every year at this time — he says that he’s very, very happy with what he’s doing, where he is,” Rooney said.

“It would not surprise me if he said he wasn’t going to coach. It would surprise me the other way because he tells me that every time I talk to him and the subject comes up.”

Cowher has been linked to the looming vacancy in Cleveland. Though it’s widely believed that the Browns are interested, the thinking is that Cowher isn’t.

Our theory/hypothesis/crazy-ass speculation is that Cowher is using the Browns’ interest as a way to keep his name at the top of the “A” list through the 2009 hiring cycle.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #341
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...%20and%20Q%26A

Singletary wows team officials in meeting; wanted for 2009
Old 12-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #342
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

COWBOYS KEEP COLOMBO

Posted by Mike Florio on December 25, 2008, 6:51 p.m. EST

The Dallas Cowboys have gotten a jump start on their offseason planning by signing tackle Marc Colombo to a four-year deal.

Word of the potential deal first arose several weeks ago. Per Todd Archer of the Dallas Morning News, the contract pays $22 million, with $11.5 million in guaranteed money.

“I just love being a Dallas Cowboy,” Colombo told Archer. “I love everything about it. I definitely didn’t want to leave my offensive line. I’d die for those guys. The thought of going to some other team and another line wasn’t an option for me. I’m glad the Cowboys stepped up to the plate. I thank them very much.”

Colombo, from Boston College, was a first-round pick of the Bears in 2002. A serious, career-threatening knee injury knocked him out for two full years, and the Bears cut him after the first game of the 2005 season.

He landed in Dallas. The following year, he became a starter.

And he has since started in 47 straight games, and counting.

The Cowboys have officially announced the four-year deal, without commenting on the financial aspects of it.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #343
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

MORRIS WILL REPLACE KIFFIN

Posted by Mike Florio on December 25, 2008, 6:43 p.m. EST

Our friends at Pewter Report and the St. Petersburg Times (I’m glad we’re not the only ones who worked on Christmas) advised us separately today that the Bucs have named defensive backs coach Raheem Morris as the new defensive coordinator.

Per Pewter Report, Morris got the news on Christmas Eve.

Morris will replace Monte Kiffin, the long-time coordinator who’ll head to the University of Tennessee after the season. Kiffin’s son, Lane, recently became the head coach at UT.

Monte Kiffin had been working for the Bucs since 1996, when he was hired into the position of defensive coordinator by former coach Tony Dungy.

Kiffin and Morris will remain in their current positions until the Bucs’ 2008 games are completed, including playoffs. (If they lose to the Raiders on Sunday, there might not be any playoffs.)

Said coach Jon Gruden of the Morris promotion, in quotes circulated by the team’s P.R. department: “He’s been with me a long time and he’s had a lot of success here. He’s had his hand in a lot of real good things. I like this defense. I believe in it, and certainly believe in Raheem Morris. I believe he’ll be outstanding and we just wanted to make sure that our players knew and I just wanted to end the speculation, to be honest with you.”

The move could help the Bucs retain cornerback Philip Buchanon, who is scheduled to become a free agent.

“Personally, yes,” Buchanon told Pewter Report as to whether the Morris promotion would be a factor in Buchanon’s decision to stay. “That is a great big deal for me because me and coach Raheem we talk almost every day. Monday, Tuesday, we talk a lot about the game film and things we need to do. I talk to him all the time, so I definitely have a great deal of respect for him and I’m just happy for him right now.”

Then again, Buchanon might ultimately have to jump to a new team in order to stay with Morris. At Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times points out, the Bucs won’t be able to prevent Morris from interviewing for head-coaching jobs elsewhere. Morris has been mentioned in some circles as a potential candidate for one of the various vacancies certain to come open after the season.

So, basically, Morris could end up holding his new job for less than a month.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #344
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

NO TAG FOR T.J.?

Posted by Mike Florio on December 26, 2008, 10:39 a.m.

The Cincinnati Bengals have a history of not re-signing free agents to long-term deals, but of using the franchise tag to keep them around for a year and then letting them walk away thereafter.

This time around, however, the Bengals apparently don’t intend to use the franchise tag on receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network (via the Cincinnati Enquirer), the Bengals instead will attempt to sign Houshmandzadeh to a long-term deal.

Assuming Schefter is correct (and we’ve got no reason to think he isn’t), why in the hell would the Bengals view the two subjects as mutually exclusive?

The better approach would be to attempt to sign Houshmandzadeh to a long-term deal, while at all times keeping the ability to use the franchise tag as a last resort in the team’s back pocket.

The concept is known in the football business (and in most other industries) as “leverage.” So why wouldn’t the Bengals at least use the threat of the tag to help persuade Houshmandzadeh to sign a new deal?

Maybe it’s because they’re, you know, the Bengals.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #345
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

LIONS TO CUT TICKET PRICES

Posted by Mike Florio on December 26, 2008, 5:16 p.m. EST

With the NFL’s first-ever 0-16 season staring the franchise in the face, the Detroit Lions are taking steps to ensure that folks whill plunk down their hard-earned cash in 2009 for the privilege of watch the team continue to build upon what could be a 17-game losing streak by late afternoon on Sunday.

Per the Detroit Free Press, the Lions will reduce prices for eight percent of all general seating, and will make “significant price reductions” for club seats.

The specific cuts will be determined at a later date.

In all, the Lions failed to sell out five of their final six regular-season home games. The only exception? A Thanksgiving Day thrashing administered when the Titans came to town and fed the Lions to themselves.

For last Sunday’s home finale, an incredible 10,500 seats were not sold.

The Lions actually had increased ticket prices for the 2008 season, the first price hike in three years.

“I think it’s safe to assume that we will not increase any prices, whether it’s a season ticket or an individual ticket,” Bob Raymond, Ford Field’s vice president of business operations, told the Free Press. “We’re just not in position to do that with, one, the economy, and two, the way the team has performed.”

Wow. There’s actually someone in the Lions organization who gets it. Maybe Bob Raymond should be the new G.M.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #346
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Found this at KFFL:

Key records and milestones that could be reached Sunday

1. Passing Yardage Record/5000 Yards Passing - Drew Brees needs 402 yards to pass Marino, and only 317 to break 5000 yards on the season. He can also tie the record for most 300 yard passing games in a season (10, Rich Gannon - 2002).

2. First 0-16 Team - Those lovable Lions head to Green Bay to try and prevent history. Or who am I kidding? They're probably already looking forward to clinching that defeated season.

3. Two RB's w/1000+ Yards Rushing, Same Team - Brandon Jacobs is there and Derrick Ward needs 52 yards. They'd only be the 4th RB duo to do it (72 Dolphins, 76 Steelers, 85 Browns).

4. Trio of 1000 Yard Receivers, Same Team - Steve Breaston needs 85 yards to join Fitzgerald and Boldin for 1000+ yards a piece. They'd only be the 5th trio to do that (80 Chargers, 89 Redskins, 95 Falcons, 04 Colts).

5. Fewest TD Passes Allowed, Season (16 Games) - Only 6 TD passes have been thrown against the Colts this season. The record is 9 (78 Broncos, 90 Steelers).

6. Fewest Punt Return Yards Allowed, Season (16 Games) - Falcons have only allowed 49 return yards all year. The record is 53 by the 91 Bills.

7. Most Sacks, Season - DeMarcus Ware needs 2.5 to tie Strahan at 22.5, or 3 to break it.

8. Fewest Sacks, Season (Team, 16 Games) - The Chiefs only have 9 sacks this season. The 81 Colts had 13.

9. Fewest Team Turnovers, Season - The Dolphins have only 12 and if they don't turn it over, they'll tie the 82 Chiefs for fewest ever. And that was a 9 game strike season. The record or a 16 game season is 14 (90 Giants).

10. Steelers Defense Goes For #1 - If they absolutely destroy Cleveland and get some help from other teams, they can finish the season as the only merger-era team to lead the league in scoring defense, total defense, passing defense and rushing defense. They are currently 1st in pass and total, and 2nd in the other two.

Other:

- Manning needs 93 yards to extend record to a 9th 4000 yard passing season

- LT needs 2 rushing TDs to get to 10 this year, and keep his streak of seasons with 10+ TD runs alive at 8. He would need 186 yards rushing to raise his streak of 1200 yard rushing seasons to 8.

- Forte, Slaton and Johnson can become first trio of rookie RB's to rush for 1200 yards

- If the Dolphins win, they'll tie the 98-99 Colts for biggest single-season win improvement (10 games)

- Rivers needs 2 TD passes to break Dan Fouts' franchise record for TD passes in a season (33)
Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #347
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

What's the record for replacing DC's over an 8 year period?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #348
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3795154

Commish: '09 draftees won't face wage-scale overhaul
Old 12-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #349
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
What's the record for replacing DC's over an 8 year period?
Good one. Made me laugh. It's ALWAYS the DC's fault! This year, of course, is no different...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #350
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

For the first time since 1979, Al Davis won't be in the owner's box watching his Oakland Raiders play an NFL game.

Davis is heeding advice from his doctors and not making the round-trip flight to Tampa, Fla., allowing swelling in his right knee and ankle to recover. Davis had a brief hospital stay earlier this month following a fall.

"The doctors told him it's probably not the best thing to spend 10 or 12 hours in the air," Raiders executive John Herrera said, according to the Contra Costa Times.