The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #126
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
He also thought the Super Bowl quarters were 20 minutes instead of the normal 15 min quarters.
He would have been puking until he dry heaved in the Super Bowl had he been right.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #127
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

RAIDERS WHACK TROUPE

Posted by Mike Florio on November 17, 2008, 7:14 p.m.

The Oakland Raiders have released tight end Ben Troupe, a league source tells us.

Last month, the Raiders placed Troupe on injured reserve with a foot injury.

A player may be released from injured reserve if the player is healthy, but the player also can file a grievance as to the question of whether he truly is healthy.

Troupe will become an unrestricted free agent if he clears waivers.

He was a second-round pick of the Titans in 2004, and he signed with the Raiders during the offseason.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #128
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO JACOBS’ KNEE

Posted by Mike Florio on November 18, 2008, 9:44 a.m.

An MRI conducted Monday on the knee of Giants running back Brandon Jacobs revealed no structural damage, according to Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger.

“Nothing serious,” a source told Garafalo. “Just swollen and sore.”

Jacobs tweaked the knee during Sunday’s win over the Ravens.

The Giants face the Cardinals on Sunday.

It’s an opportunity for Arizona to prove that they’re not simply beating up on the bad-to-mediocre teams. And it’s another opportunity for the Giants to show that there’s a huge gap between them and the other supposedly “good” teams.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #129
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

JARED ALLEN FINED $25,000, NOT SUSPENDED

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 19, 2008, 1:18 p.m. EST

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen has incurred another costly fine for an illegal hit on a quarterback. But he has avoided a suspension.

Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press reports that the NFL will fine Allen $25,000 but will not suspend him after his meeting this week with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Allen’s latest transgression was a helmet-to-helmet hit on Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. He had previously received a $50,000 fine for two low hits on Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #130
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

JAMES ASKED CARDS TO CUT HIM

Posted by Mike Florio on November 19, 2008, 3:20 p.m.

Though he’s apparently committed not to creating a distraction for the 7-3 Cardinals by publicly complaining about his current status with the team, we’re told that running back Edgerrin James asked the team to release him in the wake of his recent benching.

To little surprise, the team declined.

If he had been cut, he would have been exposed to the waivers system, and could have been claimed by teams like the Lions or the Bengals.

James started the first seven games of the 2008 season, but then didn’t play at all in a 34-13 win over the Rams. He played in the past two games, both wins, but started neither of them.

In a 29-24 win over the 49ers, James had two carries for four yards; during Sunday’s 26-20 victory over the Seahawks, James ran one time, for one yard.

James currently is being paid a base salary of $5 million, and he’s slated to earn a base salary of $5 million in 2009, the final year of his contract with the team. Barring a catastrophic injury to new starter Tim Hightower, it’s highly unlikely that the Cardinals would bring James back, at any salary.

The problem is that James joined the team in the final season of the Dennis Green era. New coach Ken Whisenhunt decided in the middle of the season to go in a different direction; undoubtedly, Whisenhunt’s strategy will result in James being released in the offseason.

That said, it makes sense for the Cardinals to keep him around. If Hightower or backup J.J. Arrington get hurt down the stretch, the Cardinals will need James to be ready to play.

James currently is ranked 13th on the all-time NFL rushing list, with 11,992 yards. He’s within striking distance of Thurman Thomas (12,074), Franco Harris (12,120), Marcus Allen (12,243), Jim Brown (12,312), and Tony Dorsett (12,739).

Each of those players already have been enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Though James’ per-carry average has dipped below 4.0 yards during his time in Arizona, he rushed for 1,159 yards in 2006 (his first season with the team), and 1,222 yards a year ago.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #131
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3713779

Cowboys CB Jones expected to return Dec. 7 against Steelers
Old 11-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #132
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Was a time Troupe was highly touted around here by some touters hereabouts.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #133
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Was a time Troupe was highly touted around here by some touters hereabouts.....
When he was at Florida, I thought he was going to be an excellent receiving tight end on the pro level.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #134
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
JARED ALLEN FINED $25,000, NOT SUSPENDED

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 19, 2008, 1:18 p.m. EST

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen has incurred another costly fine for an illegal hit on a quarterback. But he has avoided a suspension.

Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press reports that the NFL will fine Allen $25,000 but will not suspend him after his meeting this week with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Allen’s latest transgression was a helmet-to-helmet hit on Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. He had previously received a $50,000 fine for two low hits on Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.
Man i'm glad we don't play that dirty ****er this year.*

*unless.....
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #135
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Bengals beat Steelers.

Locally, I'm tired of Steeler hype. They get more mileage out of 'history', 'tradition' and 'jerseys' than any team I've seen. two weeks later the local media is still going on about how 'great' their defense is. Last time I checked, this is DC, not Pittsburgh. And oh yeah, the limp wristed commissioner reinstated Pac man for like, the eleven millionth time.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #136
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

PITTSBURGH -- The Cincinnati Bengals have deactivated receiver Chad Ocho Cinco for Thursday night's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers for violation of a team rule. The Bengals would not elaborate further on why Ocho Cinco was deactivated. The team said there will be no comment until after the game. The Steelers (7-3) will host the Bengals (1-8-1) at 8:15 p.m. ET at Heinz Field.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #137
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

TURNER NOT IN TROUBLE

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 2:20 p.m. EST

Less than two years after the San Diego Chargers jettisoned the man who had taken the team to a 14-2 record, the organization says that his successor won’t be suffering a similar fate.

Yet.

Or, maybe, ever.

G.M. A.J. Smith made it clear on Wednesday that coach Norv Turner isn’t in trouble.

“He’s coming back,” Smith said.

Team president Dean Spanos agrees. “I’m committed to [Turner],” Spanos said. “I believe in him. It’s ridiculous to think he’s not going to be back.”

Yeah, almost as ridiculous as it would have been to predict Marty Schottenheimer’s ouster in February, after all the then-hot candidates had been spoken for.

“I think it’s foolish,” Smith said regarding the suggestion of a possible coaching change. (Yeah, almost as foolish as . . . hell, you get the picture.) “It’s not even been discussed. There are lots of things we’re going to discuss. But we hired a coach I believe in, someone I can work with. We’re in this for the long haul.”

The key is the “someone I can work with” thing. Schottenheimer and Smith were the NFL equivalent of cobra and mongoose. Eventually, Spanos had to clunk their heads together and tell them to play nice, or else.

When the “or else” finally came, it was Marty who got the pink slip. And Smith hired a guy who was so happy to get another shot at being a head coach that he’ll never try to undermine the boss.

It might be great for achieving in-house harmony. Whether it translates into a Super Bowl appearance remains to be seen. Barring an unexpected turnaround, the answer for Year Two of Norv is “no.”
Old 11-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #138
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

49ers | Martz fined $20,000
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:19:43 -0800
ESPN.com reports San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz has been fined $20,000 for publicly blaming the game officials for the ending of the team's Week 10 loss.
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #139
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Jets | Favre still undecided on future
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:26:10 -0800
Erik Boland, of Newsday.com, reports New York Jets QB Brett Favre does not know whether he will be back with the Jets next season, instead choosing to keep focused on this week's game against the Tennessee Titans. "I have people - friends, family - who ask me all the time about next year," he said. "The answer I give them, which is the honest answer, is I really don't know. To be totally honest with you, I really don't care. What I care about is trying to beat Tennessee." Favre was asked for a two-year commitment from Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum when he was acquired in the offseason, but Favre would only commit to one season.

Imagine that they should've known he would do this to them
Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #140
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Packers | Driver's dad reportedly beaten by Houston police
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:58:50 -0800
The Associated Press reports the family of Green Bay Packers WR Donald Driver claims Driver's father, Marvin Driver Jr., was beaten by police in Houston, causing him to be hospitalized. The family issued a statement saying Driver was stopped for outstanding traffic warrants and was to be taken to jail, but was beaten before getting there. He can communicate through notes and has described "the torture he went through…," according to the family. Houston police issued a statement saying after the arrest, Marvin Driver Jr. was placed in the back of a patrol unit, and when he got to jail he was unresponsive and paramedics were called.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #141
TonyR
Franchise Poster

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ot-in-trouble/

Less than two years after the San Diego Chargers jettisoned the man who had taken the team to a 14-2 record, the organization says that his successor won’t be suffering a similar fate.

Yet.

Or, maybe, ever.

G.M. A.J. Smith made it clear on Wednesday that coach Norv Turner isn’t in trouble.

“He’s coming back,” Smith said.

Team president Dean Spanos agrees. “I’m committed to [Turner],” Spanos said. “I believe in him. It’s ridiculous to think he’s not going to be back.”

Yeah, almost as ridiculous as it would have been to predict Marty Schottenheimer’s ouster in February, after all the then-hot candidates had been spoken for.

“I think it’s foolish,” Smith said regarding the suggestion of a possible coaching change. (Yeah, almost as foolish as . . . hell, you get the picture.) “It’s not even been discussed. There are lots of things we’re going to discuss. But we hired a coach I believe in, someone I can work with. We’re in this for the long haul.”

The key is the “someone I can work with” thing. Schottenheimer and Smith were the NFL equivalent of cobra and mongoose. Eventually, Spanos had to clunk their heads together and tell them to play nice, or else.

When the “or else” finally came, it was Marty who got the pink slip. And Smith hired a guy who was so happy to get another shot at being a head coach that he’ll never try to undermine the boss.

It might be great for achieving in-house harmony. Whether it translates into a Super Bowl appearance remains to be seen. Barring an unexpected turnaround, the answer for Year Two of Norv is “no.”

I really, really hope Norv is back. If this team gets a good coach that would be big trouble.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #142
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Yep....keep Norv around.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #143
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

And Marv.......And Greasy Al
Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #144
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

FELIX JONES DONE FOR THE YEAR

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 3:19 p.m. EST

With the Dallas Cowboys trying to salvage their playoff run, they’ll have to do it without rookie running back Felix Jones

The team has announced that Jones, a first-round pick in the 2008 draft, is out for the year.

Jones, per the team, injured a big toe while rehabbing a hamstring injury suffered last month against the Cardinals. He has been placed on injured reserve, and he will have surgery to repair a ligament in the toe.

The Cowboys have missed the home-run threat that Jones brought to the offense. He rushed for 266 yards on 30 carries, which equates to an average of 8.9 yards per carry.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #145
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

SOURCE: BROWNS PURSUING COWHER

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 5:00 p.m.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Browns have approached former Steelers coach Bill Cowher regarding the possibility of becoming the next coach in Cleveland.

Per the source, the Browns are willing to give Cowher a contract worth $8 million to $9 million per year.

Presumably, Cowher’s arrival would occur only if G.M. Phil Savage were fired or significantly marginalized. (Maybe Savage can go work for the Bills — or if all else fails he can root for them.) Cowher would want final say over personnel, and Cowher would want to install one or more of his former Steelers colleagues into key positions.

Likely candidates, if they can finagle a path out of Pittsburgh, would be director of football operations Kevin Colbert and/or director of business operations Omar Khan.

Cowher played for the Browns (i.e., Ravens) from 1980 through 1982, and he served as special teams coach in 1985 and 1986. He was moved to defensive backs coach in 1987, and he remained in that position through 1988.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #146
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Good....keep him from going to Kansas City.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #147
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Cowher in Cleveland would be so amazingly awesome. Steelers fans would implode from confusion. My girlfriend's mom is a psychopathic Pittsburgh fan and is practically in love with the Chin. Her reaction to that would be absolutely priceless.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #148
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Cowher in Cleveland would be so amazingly awesome. Steelers fans would implode from confusion. My girlfriend's mom is a psychopathic Pittsburgh fan and is practically in love with the Chin. Her reaction to that would be absolutely priceless.
I agree....Pittsburgh fans would crap their pants if Cowher went to the Browns.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #149
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Good....keep him from going to Kansas City.
Or San Diego. I always thought he'd want to go to a 3-4 team. San Diego looks like a Cowher team...well they did when it still had Schotty's fingerprints on it. Figured his protege' would step in. Now they're a bunch of manginas.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #150
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Or San Diego. I always thought he'd want to go to a 3-4 team. San Diego looks like a Cowher team...well they did when it still had Schotty's fingerprints on it. Figured his protege' would step in. Now they're a bunch of manginas.
I doubt he would go to SD....Cowher has pretty deep ties to Marty and with the way Marty was let go, I can't see Cowher going there.

Stranger things have happened though.