The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #51
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Anyone rule out the possibility of AI coming back to Denver next year?
Yes he won't be back and Denver doesn't want him back. He was finally showing signs of age. Scott Hastings, who might be a horrible color commentator for the Nuggs but knows basketball said AI came into camp and the season with a ho-hum attitude. He was unhappy about not getting a new deal and didn't care.

That and he is a ball stopper. He wants the ball and when things get tight rather then penetrate and kick out he penetrates, lowers his head and chucks it up. It just wasn't a good fit. It sold tickets and last year he played his heart out but the make up of the team just didn't spell success.

My bet is he returns to Philly if they will have him.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #52
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Anyone rule out the possibility of AI coming back to Denver next year?
Anything's possible but Stan made it clear he wants the Nugz under the luxury tax. If we were to go over, it'd probably be to use their trade exception.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #53
DB_champ24
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Yes he won't be back and Denver doesn't want him back. He was finally showing signs of age. Scott Hastings, who might be a horrible color commentator for the Nuggs but knows basketball said AI came into camp and the season with a ho-hum attitude. He was unhappy about not getting a new deal and didn't care.

That and he is a ball stopper. He wants the ball and when things get tight rather then penetrate and kick out he penetrates, lowers his head and chucks it up. It just wasn't a good fit. It sold tickets and last year he played his heart out but the make up of the team just didn't spell success.

My bet is he returns to Philly if they will have him.
Ha thats funny a ball stopper, a ball stopper is Carmelo Anthony, he takes dumb shots and don't forget he plays no D whatsoever then calls out his teammates. Don't call one of the best players in NBA history a ball stopper, especially one of the top 3 scorers ever, that's just retarded.

But I do agree, I think he will want to go back to Philly after this year and I hope they resign him.
DB_champ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #54
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Well he is a ball stopper and we are talking about AI not Melo. The ball stops at both of them. When they are off the team tanks because they are ball stoppers. Its why he is such a high scorer. Do you even no what you are talking about?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #55
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Iverson is still great and always has been great.

But he was a bad fit for Denver. Actually, Denver's team was a bad fit for everybody involved. AI and Carmelo could have worked given a better team around them. Issues at PG, issues at PF, and issues at Center really hurt them.

Bottom line is, it's not a full-blown rebuild, but they're trying to start over, at least it seems to me. Nuggets needed a true PG, and they got one. Billups IS aging at 32, but he has 3 years left and I believe he will play out his contract very well.

We'll see what happens with Nene. If he can stay healthy and if he can produce. We all know Kenyon was never worth the money, but at least he's healthy now. Carmelo is still a great ball player, he shoots at a high clip (anybody questioning that can just look up the stats, he shoots at a very hig % given he is a wing player/on the perimeter) and his rebounding increases yearly. Hopefully he can continue to improve on defense.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #56
DB_champ24
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Well he is a ball stopper and we are talking about AI not Melo. The ball stops at both of them. When they are off the team tanks because they are ball stoppers. Its why he is such a high scorer. Do you even no what you are talking about?
Ya I do, but that's every superstar scorer, teams depend on them to carry a certain load, but Iverson does distribute the ball and makes things happen. When he drives into the lane he gets others open and will dish it off, call him a ball hog all you want but I've watched him his whole career and he creates for other people. When Lebron isnt getting things going, his team struggles, same with all the superstars.
Calling him a ball stopper is just dumb IMO, maybe it's the nuggets who need to get some new players and a new coach and play some D and these dumb terms wouldn't come up, and they did and I'm glad Iverson's outta Denver and he can contend for a championship in Detroit rather than have another one and done in the Playoffs with no heart Melo.

Actually Ball stopper might be the dumbest term I've heard, because with your logic, all superstars with off games and worthless supporting casts are ball stoppers.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #57
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Ballstopper is not my termn. its a term widely used around the league to define players who don't work with their team. Just because you don't understand doesn't make it dumb.

He won't be contending for anything in Detroit they just took a team and made it a bunch of individuals.

But its clear you just want to bag on Melo so why not just say I hate Melo rather then post the rest?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #58
DB_champ24
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Ballstopper is not my termn. its a term widely used around the league to define players who don't work with their team. Just because you don't understand doesn't make it dumb.

He won't be contending for anything in Detroit they just took a team and made it a bunch of individuals.

But its clear you just want to bag on Melo so why not just say I hate Melo rather then post the rest?
Ive played basketball all my life and have been on some really good teams and have played in big tournaments learned countless offensive plays and have ran loads of defenses and I pay attention to college and the NBA and have never once heard the term Ball Stopper

You'll be surprised with Detroit and actually I like Melo and think he's one of the best international players but in the NBA he's too inconsistent and he hasnt shown he can be someone you can rely on. He also plays no defense and it's not the fact that he's not good at it, it's just he doesn't try and that really bothers me about him.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #59
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

I've heard the term ball stopper aka black hole plenty of times.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #60
DB_champ24
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Haha I've heard of stop or step up on the guy bringing up the ball on a fast break ASAP but not ball stopper, maybe it's an old mans term?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #61
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_champ24 View Post
Haha I've heard of stop or step up on the guy bringing up the ball on a fast break ASAP but not ball stopper, maybe it's an old mans term?
Well I am only 29 so I wouldn't say I am an old man. I have played B-Ball all my life too my best sport next to baseball. So I understand the game too.

You are right on Melo though he is a great international player but he has zero defense and takes horrible shots at times when he feels the need to force the ball. So I definitely agree with you on that.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #62
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

This interview gives me goosebumps. Wearing number 7 to honor the duke.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10917996
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #63
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

So far, so good.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #64
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Huge win today.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #65
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Wow I was watching movies and missed the game. People said this road trip would tell us how good this team is going to be. Well I think they are a much better team and a threat. Their half court offense is tons better, Melo is playing Defense and they have a floor leader in Chauncey. Best thing they could have done was this trade.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #66
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Wow I was watching movies and missed the game. People said this road trip would tell us how good this team is going to be. Well I think they are a much better team and a threat. Their half court offense is tons better, Melo is playing Defense and they have a floor leader in Chauncey. Best thing they could have done was this trade.
I agree. I and yesterday's game was very winnable too, if our defense would have just defended the paint better.

I am exited too see how this trade plays out in the long run.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #67
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Another nice win tonight. They blew out the Spurs, granted without Parker and Ginobili, but like the Boston game it was on the road on the second night of a back to back. Chauncey has had an incredible calming, steadying influence on this team.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #68
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Iverson is still great and always has been great. But he was a bad fit for Denver.
Yes he was - and he'd be a bad fit with the majority of teams - because he's a flip-flopper. He's a 2-guard on offense, but he's too small to guard the opponent's 2-guard on defense. He works with Detroit (on paper at least) because Hamilton is that rare bird who can: 1) play point guard on offense, 2) not demand too many shots, and 3) had solid enough defense to guard the opponent's 2-guard. Neither JR Smith nor Anthony Carter could fill that bill.

Obviously the trade is GREAT for us even without McDyess ... we're like 7-1 with Chauncey now. Is the only loss that close on in Cleveland?
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #69
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Yep, 7-1.

The day after that great win in Boston, the Celtics flew to Milwaukee and beat the Bucks Saturday. The day after that loss to Boston, the Bucks flew to Denver and lost to us. You can't make this stuff up.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #70
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

This trade seems to be working out well for both teams. CB7 is exactly what the Nuggs needed. They are actually a good defensive team now.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #71
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Lakers pretty much brought us down to earth tonight.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #72
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Lakers pretty much brought us down to earth tonight.
Lakers are on another planet as far as basketball teams go. Lakers are on a mission after last seasons loss to the Celtics.

Not to say the nuggs suck, they are a good team and they might get a high seed this year with their improved D.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #73
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Very fun game today. They like to wait until 6 minutes left to dominate.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #74
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Records so far with their respective new teams:

Iverson: 6-6
Billups: 11-3

If you add in the small number of games with their former teams, Iverson is 7-8, Billups 13-3.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote