The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #2901
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Holy crap!

This guy is not a mortal man:

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#100839

Username: scott
Password: bigdog

My jaw is on the floor!
Come on. He's got it on echo.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #2902
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I thought the whole thing was rather sloppy, to be honest. Yeah "Angie" and "Heartbreaker" were the standouts, but compared to the usual standard they had at the time, I thought they were well below that. I'm embarrassed to say that I honestly can't remember "Comin' Down Again" at the moment...the only other songs on it that I recall were "Dancing With Mr. D" which blew and "Star Star" an obnoxious Chuck Berry ripoff.
I liked "Dancing with Mr. D."

I was 15 when GHS came out, and there was a furniture store right down the street from my house called "Mr. D's Furniture." "Dancing with Mr. D" was getting a fair amount of play on the local progressive FM station, and all the neighborhood "heads" would smile at each other and wink when they drove by that store.

Berry was a huge influence on Keef, that's for sure.

Quote:
I believe Mick Taylor's last Stones album was It's Only Rock 'N' Roll...a much improved affair, but like Black And Blue after it, rather bland save for the excursions into reggae that later turned into the disco of "Miss You" & "Emotional Rescue"...Yeech.
That's right - Goat's Head was '73 and Only R&R was '74 - I always get the years mixed up.

I really dug Mick Taylor's solos on "Time Waits for No One." Nice laid-back, smoky kinda vibe.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #2903
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Come on. He's got it on echo.
Yes, he's using tap delay on the intro, but how about the rest of the tune?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #2904
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I thought the whole thing was rather sloppy, to be honest. Yeah "Angie" and "Heartbreaker" were the standouts, but compared to the usual standard they had at the time, I thought they were well below that. I'm embarrassed to say that I honestly can't remember "Comin' Down Again" at the moment...the only other songs on it that I recall were "Dancing With Mr. D" which blew and "Star Star" an obnoxious Chuck Berry ripoff.

I believe Mick Taylor's last Stones album was It's Only Rock 'N' Roll...a much improved affair, but like Black And Blue after it, rather bland save for the excursions into reggae that later turned into the disco of "Miss You" & "Emotional Rescue"...Yeech.

Sloppy can be one or two things IMO...engagingly reckless abandon or just plain careless. I honestly think the Stones stopped caring about the live performance in the mid- 1970's. They've been rote jobs ever since.
I thought the Mick Taylor Stones were the best incarnation. I was a big Mick Taylor fan from his time with John Mayall (Crusade is still my favorite Mayall album) and was ecstatic when he joined the Stones. I just preferred the Stones with the heavier blues sound. That's their back-bone sound, IMO. Jones was excellent for his time (with the harpsichords, mandolins and psychedelic touches), but that time had passed (it's mostly Taylor on Let it Bleed, the Stones' best album). For me, Ron Wood was always too twangy and loose (and too much of a "light touch") for the Stones. Great for the Faces (and Gasoline Alley) and their kind of "banging around" loose sound, but I've never been fond of his additions to the Stones.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #2905
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Yes, he's using tap delay on the intro, but how about the rest of the tune?
He sounds like one of those Nashville studio flatpickers that you never hear about but who are on about a hundred incredible country tracks.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #2906
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Don't let the delay thing fool you into thinking Scott can't play...

Scott Henderson Steve Bailey & Greg Bissonette - Fusion Jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4TVWXrOhI

Joe Zawinul - live at Munich-with Scott Henderson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkP99Euf_CU

Scott Henderson with Chick Corea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiF4DOTg_Vg

Triba Tech - "Jakarta"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOeKWvQ6Qsc

Scott Henderson - Dolemite (Live In Salerno)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVhN_LuNaVs
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #2907
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
He sounds like one of those Nashville studio flatpickers that you never hear about but who are on about a hundred incredible country tracks.
I'm sure Scott would take that as a major compliment as he's actually a jazz/blues/rock player who was just dabbling in country guitar on that particular track.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #2908
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
I thought the Mick Taylor Stones were the best incarnation. I was a big Mick Taylor fan from his time with John Mayall (Crusade is still my favorite Mayall album) and was ecstatic when he joined the Stones. I just preferred the Stones with the heavier blues sound. That's their back-bone sound, IMO. Jones was excellent for his time (with the harpsichords, mandolins and psychedelic touches), but that time had passed (it's mostly Taylor on Let it Bleed, the Stones' best album). For me, Ron Wood was always too twangy and loose (and too much of a "light touch") for the Stones. Great for the Faces (and Gasoline Alley) and their kind of "banging around" loose sound, but I've never been fond of his additions to the Stones.
I remember when Taylor left and the Stones were searching for a replacement.

They considered my man Steve Marriott for about a minute and a half.

In retrospect, I can see it wouldn't have worked (Jagger would have been living in a state of perpetual professional jealousy) but I still wish I could have heard Marriott with the Stones at least once.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:23 AM   #2909
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Hard to argue with any of this as I agree with the notion of Taylor era Stones being the artistic highpoint....it was dwindling down by the time he left however.

The only thing I'd dispute here is Let It Bleed being the Stones best album.....as great as Bleed is, that distinction, IMHO, belongs to Beggars Banquet.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #2910
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:

In retrospect, I can see it wouldn't have worked (Jagger would have been living in a state of perpetual professional jealousy) but I still wish I could have heard Marriott with the Stones at least once.
Interesting....I always liked Marriott, but thought he blew his voice out with Humble Pie.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #2911
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

No Lou Reed fans in here? Coney Island Baby was about the last thing he did before his voice went.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #2912
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I never heard about Marriot being considered as a replacement for Taylor. That would have changed the Stones, and that's probably why it didn't happen. He and Frampton fought a kind of Lennon/McCartney battle for the direction of Humble Pie, and while I loved that band, it made them sort of schizophrenic.

Last edited by bombay; 07-25-2008 at 12:26 PM..
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #2913
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Hard to argue with any of this as I agree with the notion of Taylor era Stones being the artistic highpoint....it was dwindling down by the time he left however.

The only thing I'd dispute here is Let It Bleed being the Stones best album.....as great as Bleed is, that distinction, IMHO, belongs to Beggars Banquet.

Make mine Sticky Fingers.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #2914
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I never heard about Marriot being considered as a replacement for Taylor. That would have changed the Stones, and that's probably why it didn't happen.
I remember it quite well.

Also, if you check out the video "The Life and Times of Steve Marriott," there's an interview with Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick toward the end of the film where he talks about hanging out with Marriott when Steve was in L.A. for the Stones audition.

Yes, Marriott would have definitely shaken the Stones up in a big way (especially if they had let him sing - he would have blown Jagger off the stage.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
He and Frampton fought a kind of Lennon/McCartney battle for the direction of Humble Pie, and while I loved that band, it made them sort of schizophrenic.
Yes, Humble Pie started out as a democracy, but there was eventually a tug of war between Frampton and Marriott, which Marriott ultimately won (ironic since it was Frampton who started the group and subsequently invited Marriott to join.)

I thought Pie was at its best when Frampton was still in the group.

Although I enjoyed the later records with Clem on guitar, I thought "Rockin' the Fillmore" represented the peak of HP's artistic prowess - due in large part to PF's inimitable guitar work.

Last edited by L.A. BRONCOS FAN; 07-25-2008 at 06:15 PM..
Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #2915
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I remember it quite well.

Also, if you check out the video "The Life and Times of Steve Marriott," there's an interview with Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick toward the end of the film where he talks about hanging out with Marriott when Steve was in L.A. for the Stones audition.

Yes, Marriott would have definitely shaken the Stones up in a big way (especially if they had let him sing - he would have blown Jagger off the stage.)

Yes, Humble Pie started out as a democracy, but there was eventually a tug of war between Frampton and Marriott, which Marriott ultimately won (ironic since it was Frampton who started the group and subsequently invited Marriott to join.)

I thought Pie was at its best when Frampton was still in the group.

Although I enjoyed the later records with Clem on guitar, I thought "Rockin' the Fillmore" represented the peak of HP's artistic prowess - due in large part to PF's inimitable guitar work.

I appreciate that kind of rock history - thanks. The Stones with Marriott would have been a truly dynamic band. I would like to have seen that.

I went to school in Champaign, Il in the early '70's and saw a lot of Cheap Trick in a local bar called the Red Lion. It must have been '72 or '73 when they played there a lot. I think they were based in Wisconsin then, maybe Alpine Valley. At that time they were starving artists - Zander had really bad teeth and couldn't yet afford to fix them. A couple other bands that got pretty well known were also Red Lion regulars: REO Speedwagon, who was basically the house band until local pizza magnate Irv Azoff took them, and I think Dan Fogelberg, to LA. Head East was another one.

Regarding Frampton in Humble Pie, I'm in full agreement that they were better with him. Not only was Frampton a great guitarist, he kind of kept Marriott's baser instincts at bay.

Last edited by bombay; 07-26-2008 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #2916
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

Your other man Peter Frampton was supposedly on the short list too I thought

My favorite = Exile on Main Street by a nose over Let it Bleed. To be fair though I never really soaked up Beggars Banquet.

From another thread - Chris Cornell covers Michael Jackson (unplugged). Funny though, I don't hear that screeching fingers on a chalkboard vocal style Hoghan complains about ... sounds more like a less-spastic Joe Cocker to me:

[/QUOTE]
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #2917
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

LABF is a Fightin' Illini?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #2918
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
LABF is a Fightin' Illini?
Sorry, that was me. I screwed up the quote function but just went back and fixed it.

Last edited by bombay; 07-26-2008 at 04:47 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #2919
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
My favorite = Exile on Main Street by a nose over Let it Bleed. To be fair though I never really soaked up Beggars Banquet.
Exile had a bit too much filler on it for my liking...don't get me wrong when I say that, overall I really enjoy the album but they really struggled to maintain a high quality over a double album set IMHO.

When it comes to the Stones, my faves are:
Beggars Banquet
Get Your Ya Ya's Out
Let It Bleed
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Exile On Main Street
Their Satanic Majesties Request
and then I rely on the Greatest Hits type compilations for the rest.

Quote:
From another thread - Chris Cornell covers Michael Jackson (unplugged). Funny though, I don't hear that screeching fingers on a chalkboard vocal style Hoghan complains about ... sounds more like a less-spastic Joe Cocker to me
So he doesn't do it here as much as he did in Soundgarden or Temple Of The Dog (especially Temple Of The Dog) He's an irritating vocalist any way you slice it....he pretty much defines the term histrionic
Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 AM   #2920
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Can't really pick a single Stones favorite - too many records spanning too many years.

Finally had to make my own iTunes compilation.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 AM   #2921
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
So he doesn't do it here as much as he did in Soundgarden or Temple Of The Dog (especially Temple Of The Dog) He's an irritating vocalist any way you slice it....he pretty much defines the term histrionic
Wow, really? You thought he was histrionic in that one? Well I guess we have to agree ... I'd call him soulful and powerful.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #2922
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Can't really pick a single Stones favorite - too many records spanning too many years.

Finally had to make my own iTunes compilation.
Good point. I don't pay much attention to past compilations anymore, now that I can make my own. My latest is so eclectic as to be bizarre. It includes the theme from Das Boot, Sarabande from Barry Lyndon, some Eric Clapton, Parachute Woman by the Stones, some Pat Metheny, Leo Kottke, The Band, Barber's Adagio for Strings, Traveling Wilburys, Leonard Cohen, Nora Jones, LOTR soundtrack stuff and David Bowie. Nobody would buy my albums, except me.

My Stones list would be:
Bleed
YaYas
Banquet
Aftermath
and then some individual songs from the rest. I always really liked the Stones version of Silver Train.

Maybe I'll put that on my next compilation.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #2923
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Good point. I don't pay much attention to past compilations anymore, now that I can make my own. My latest is so eclectic as to be bizarre. It includes the theme from Das Boot, Sarabande from Barry Lyndon, some Eric Clapton, Parachute Woman by the Stones, some Pat Metheny, Leo Kottke, The Band, Barber's Adagio for Strings, Traveling Wilburys, Leonard Cohen, Nora Jones, LOTR soundtrack stuff and David Bowie. Nobody would buy my albums, except me.

My Stones list would be:
Bleed
YaYas
Banquet
Aftermath
and then some individual songs from the rest. I always really liked the Stones version of Silver Train.

Maybe I'll put that on my next compilation.
Sounds about my speed.

iTunes makes it too easy these days.

I finally decided to just create two Stones compilations - one with all of my favorite tracks from the 60s and another with faves from the 70s-early 80s.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #2924
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I still make compilation tapes the old fashioned way and still make them on cassettes. I try to justify it by saying the tape is 90 mins. whilst the cd is only 80...10 minutes more of music. Hey, the car is old, the deck is old...there's no need to upgrade it at this time, so....

Besides, doing it that way is more fun for me.

I also like making some pretty jarring and outlandish mixes on those....if I can get a puzzled look on the face of those riding with me, then I consider the mix tape successful
Old 07-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #2925
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I still make compilation tapes the old fashioned way and still make them on cassettes. I try to justify it by saying the tape is 90 mins. whilst the cd is only 80...10 minutes more of music. Hey, the car is old, the deck is old...there's no need to upgrade it at this time, so....

Besides, doing it that way is more fun for me.

I also like making some pretty jarring and outlandish mixes on those....if I can get a puzzled look on the face of those riding with me, then I consider the mix tape successful
Another thing about mixed tapes is that if you make a theme-based tape for another individual, they are much more likely to listen to all the songs since it's more difficult to skip around.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote