The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2008, 01:43 AM   #2876
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Just because this is a music thread..

Went down to Fiddler's Green tonight to see the kool concert. Ordinarily would avoid this sort of thing like the plague, but I was interested in seeing both Jack Bruce and Eric Burden. They played along with Badfinger, Melanie, and The Turtles. We missed Badfinger, arriving in time to see Melanie, unfortunately. After 20 minutes of annoying off key shrieking, she went away. Flo and Eddie (The Turtles), appeared to be half toasted, and were pretty effective comedically, and did what they do - vocals - reasonably well. They were funny. Jack Bruce did a half hour pure Cream set, and sounded damned good. His guitarist was excellent, and his voice is still very strong. Excellent show. He introduced the band, but I was unable to understand the names through the Fiddler's sound system. Eric Burden's voice is still remarkably powerful, and he truly put on an excellent 40 minute or so show. I was afraid we had wasted our time coming early on, but both Bruce and Burden were excellent. Good night of music.
That sounds like a cool show. I'm always afraid of going to revue shows of 50's and 60's artists because I don't want to see a cabaret, Vegas-like performance (like The Monkees reunion tours) instead of seeing an actual band play. Glad to hear you lucked out.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:30 AM   #2877
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
It's too bad too , because there are great songs on the album....and all you find on you tube for them are cruddy fan vids or live footage of them (and let's be honest, the Stones post 1969 are not a very good live band).

At least for Tattoo You decent songs got the vids (I will not mention the disaster that was Emotional Rescue
Yep - the Stones' prime happened before the video age, I guess.

Re: the "not a very good live band" observation - that's putting it politely.

I always thought the Stones (like Led Zeppelin) made great-sounding records but sounded like a garage band live most of the time.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 AM   #2878
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Some serious (and very original-sounding) Strat abuse:

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#100836
Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #2879
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Yep - the Stones' prime happened before the video age, I guess.

Re: the "not a very good live band" observation - that's putting it politely.
Well, I think Get Your Ya Ya's Out is a pretty strong live album, but it's a fluke since the ones that have come before it or since have all been embarassments (save for maybe Love You Live, but that's a huge maybe). It just always appeared to me like the live thing was something that the band did because it had to rather than wanting to like most bands do...hence the lifeless, rote performances on those albums.

Studiowise, I still think Tattoo You was the last true great one....everything since has been spotty. If I had to choose, I'd take Keith's solo album Main Offender over anything the Stones have put out in the last 27 years that wasn't a compilation.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #2880
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

The Doors The End from Toronto TV 1967....best footage I've seen yet of the early Doors. Check out Kreiger's fingernails, that'd drive me nuts (I'd use a pick anyday)...love Densmore's playing on this as well.

Last edited by Hogan11; 07-23-2008 at 07:31 AM..
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #2881
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Well, I think Get Your Ya Ya's Out is a pretty strong live album, but it's a fluke since the ones that have come before it or since have all been embarassments (save for maybe Love You Live, but that's a huge maybe). It just always appeared to me like the live thing was something that the band did because it had to rather than wanting to like most bands do...hence the lifeless, rote performances on those albums.
+1 on "Get Your Ya Yas Out" - don't know why I forgot about that one.

When I was 14, I was in a band that played high school dances and socials, and "Live With Me" and "Midnight Rambler" (the GYYYO versions) were part of our set list.

Quote:
Studiowise, I still think Tattoo You was the last true great one....everything since has been spotty. If I had to choose, I'd take Keith's solo album Main Offender over anything the Stones have put out in the last 27 years that wasn't a compilation.
That's a coincidence - I just downloaded "Tattoo You" today.

Great record.

It's amazing how almost all of the songs on that record are outtakes from previous recording sessions.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #2882
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Check out Kreiger's fingernails, that'd drive me nuts (I'd use a pick anyday)...
I use both pick and fingernails (although I keep the nails relatively short.)

It allows you to play a lot of things you can't play with just a pick.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #2883
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I'm an INXS fan....
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #2884
Earendil
My Past Defines Me Not

My Past Defines Me Not

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Knopfler pretty much borrowed Chet Atkins style lick for lick.
I don't know I'd go that far, but there's definitely some influence, and I'm sure that only increased when they started playing together regularly. I don't have much trouble telling which is which though, and enjoy both.
Earendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #2885
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That sounds like a cool show. I'm always afraid of going to revue shows of 50's and 60's artists because I don't want to see a cabaret, Vegas-like performance (like The Monkees reunion tours) instead of seeing an actual band play. Glad to hear you lucked out.
Thanks. That's what it felt like - we were lucky to see a couple good performances.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #2886
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
I don't know I'd go that far, but there's definitely some influence, and I'm sure that only increased when they started playing together regularly. I don't have much trouble telling which is which though, and enjoy both.

Yeah. That's more accurate.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #2887
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:

When I was 14, I was in a band that played high school dances and socials, and "Live With Me" and "Midnight Rambler" (the GYYYO versions) were part of our set list.

Great record.

It's amazing how almost all of the songs on that record are outtakes from previous recording sessions.
Tattoo You was a collection of outtakes? I've never heard that before....makes sense though as it has been well documented that tensions within the band were escalating at that time.

Seriously, the only other decent live Stones material I've heard other than Ya Ya's was the stuff on the Rock 'N' Roll Circus soundtrack and a song here and there on Love You Live. Every damn one of the live albums other than Ya - Ya's sounds and feels like going thru the motions ripoff....pretty cheesy for the supposedly greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time if you ask me.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #2888
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
I use both pick and fingernails (although I keep the nails relatively short.)

It allows you to play a lot of things you can't play with just a pick.
Long fingernails drive me nuts...when I saw his, it creeped me out.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #2889
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Long fingernails drive me nuts...when I saw his, it creeped me out.
Yeah, that wouldn't work for me.

Most guitarists who use hybrid picking (pick and fingers) keep the nails fairly short, but there are exceptions.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 AM   #2890
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Tattoo You was a collection of outtakes? I've never heard that before....makes sense though as it has been well documented that tensions within the band were escalating at that time.
This article provides a pretty good breakdown of which songs came from which sessions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_You

Quote:
Seriously, the only other decent live Stones material I've heard other than Ya Ya's was the stuff on the Rock 'N' Roll Circus soundtrack and a song here and there on Love You Live. Every damn one of the live albums other than Ya - Ya's sounds and feels like going thru the motions ripoff....pretty cheesy for the supposedly greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time if you ask me.
More like "world's greatest garage band" when they play live.

(And I'm a fan.)
Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 AM   #2891
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
This article provides a pretty good breakdown of which songs came from which sessions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_You

More like "world's greatest garage band" when they play live.

(And I'm a fan.)
Very interesting wiki article, thanks for that. I never knew the background on the album, just kinda took it as an article of faith that it was new (recent) material...my image of them being recharged as they were for Some Girls is now totally blown....assembling outtakes as a "new" album rather than an outtake collection smacks of laziness, no matter how successful it was. I'm also surprised that "Tops" and especially "Waiting On A Friend" date from Goats Head Soup...that was a terrible album, those tracks would've been two of the best on it if they'd been included IMO.

"world's greatest garage band"? I dunno about that....I know a few I'd take over them live...quite a few actually. Garage bands are usually raw and have abundant energy in a live setting, it's been many a moon since the Stones were either live.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #2892
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #2893
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

Great record.

I don't want to sound like a snotty name dropper but I was at the concert at the Forum in L.A. where some of "Ya Yas" was recorded.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #2894
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I don't want to sound like a snotty name dropper but I was at the concert at the Forum in L.A. where some of "Ya Yas" was recorded.
You lucky, lucky Man.....the envy grows.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #2895
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
You lucky, lucky Man.....the envy grows.
One of the most memorable concerts I ever went to. BB King and the Ike and Tina Turner Review opened (which was great in itself). Then there was some kind of equipment malfunction that went on for an hour or more. The place started getting a little out of control. Finally, the Stones come on stage with the signature couple of guitar thumps in the dark by Keith. Then Mick takes the mike and says, "It took so long to get out here so we're going to stay a while." When we came out of the Forum, the sun was breaking on the horizon. They were playing old stuff too, from the first couple of albums. Stuff I've never heard them do before or since. I'm a Stones freak. If they came to the states, I saw them. But if they come again I'll pass. That last tour they were phoning it in. They were great back in the day though. Definitely the best shows I've ever seen (except maybe for The Who at the Long Beach Auditorium). Definitely up in the top two.

Actually, a couple of buddies of mine followed that tour up to Altamont Speedway. Glad I passed on that one.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 07-24-2008 at 12:49 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #2896
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Awesome!

Glad you passed on Altamont, BTW.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #2897
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Very interesting wiki article, thanks for that. I never knew the background on the album, just kinda took it as an article of faith that it was new (recent) material...my image of them being recharged as they were for Some Girls is now totally blown....assembling outtakes as a "new" album rather than an outtake collection smacks of laziness, no matter how successful it was. I'm also surprised that "Tops" and especially "Waiting On A Friend" date from Goats Head Soup...that was a terrible album, those tracks would've been two of the best on it if they'd been included IMO.
"Goats Head Soup" was rather inconsistent, but it did produce a pretty strong single in "Angie." One of my favorite Stones tunes of all time (esoteric, I know) is "Comin' Down Again" - which is also on that record. I enjoyed "Heartbreaker" too.

Wasn't GHS the last record Mick Taylor played on?

Quote:
"world's greatest garage band"? I dunno about that....I know a few I'd take over them live...quite a few actually. Garage bands are usually raw and have abundant energy in a live setting, it's been many a moon since the Stones were either live.
Can't argue with you on the energy point. When I said "garage band" I was thinking about how sloppy the Stones' live shows could be. That sort of thing always bothered me about Led Zeppelin's live show too (especially when the monkey on Page's back turned into an 800 lb. gorilla.) I loved both bands' records, though.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #2898
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
"Goats Head Soup" was rather inconsistent, but it did produce a pretty strong single in "Angie." One of my favorite Stones tunes of all time (esoteric, I know) is "Comin' Down Again" - which is also on that record. I enjoyed "Heartbreaker" too.

Wasn't GHS the last record Mick Taylor played on?
I thought the whole thing was rather sloppy, to be honest. Yeah "Angie" and "Heartbreaker" were the standouts, but compared to the usual standard they had at the time, I thought they were well below that. I'm embarrassed to say that I honestly can't remember "Comin' Down Again" at the moment...the only other songs on it that I recall were "Dancing With Mr. D" which blew and "Star Star" an obnoxious Chuck Berry ripoff.

I believe Mick Taylor's last Stones album was It's Only Rock 'N' Roll...a much improved affair, but like Black And Blue after it, rather bland save for the excursions into reggae that later turned into the disco of "Miss You" & "Emotional Rescue"...Yeech.

Quote:
Can't argue with you on the energy point. When I said "garage band" I was thinking about how sloppy the Stones' live shows could be. That sort of thing always bothered me about Led Zeppelin's live show too (especially when the monkey on Page's back turned into an 800 lb. gorilla.) I loved both bands' records, though.
Sloppy can be one or two things IMO...engagingly reckless abandon or just plain careless. I honestly think the Stones stopped caring about the live performance in the mid- 1970's. They've been rote jobs ever since.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #2899
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
One of the most memorable concerts I ever went to. BB King and the Ike and Tina Turner Review opened (which was great in itself). Then there was some kind of equipment malfunction that went on for an hour or more. The place started getting a little out of control. Finally, the Stones come on stage with the signature couple of guitar thumps in the dark by Keith. Then Mick takes the mike and says, "It took so long to get out here so we're going to stay a while." When we came out of the Forum, the sun was breaking on the horizon. They were playing old stuff too, from the first couple of albums. Stuff I've never heard them do before or since. I'm a Stones freak. If they came to the states, I saw them. But if they come again I'll pass. That last tour they were phoning it in. They were great back in the day though. Definitely the best shows I've ever seen (except maybe for The Who at the Long Beach Auditorium). Definitely up in the top two.

Actually, a couple of buddies of mine followed that tour up to Altamont Speedway. Glad I passed on that one.
Wow, whadda great bill....it makes me want to dust off and throw Ya Ya's in the player tonight. It's been awhile.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #2900
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Holy crap!

This guy is not a mortal man:

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#100839

Username: scott
Password: bigdog

My jaw is on the floor!