The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #201
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Hey Bobo, did you even live in this country for the start of Sharpe's career? Seems to me that you probably should just STFU about Sharpe's play as I doubt you even saw his early years. Most of us were marveling at Sharpe's career before you even knew what football was.

Even if you did though, you're still ****ing clueless. Tell us again how many years of football you played?

Last edited by Florida_Bronco; 06-21-2008 at 01:28 AM..
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #202
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German
 
Rausch 2.0's Avatar
 
Angry Drunken German

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jefferson City, Mo.
Posts: 907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
THIS would be an interesting stat: Total number of balls thrown to each - divide into that number of chances the yards and TDs. Sharpe would almost certainly come out on top.
I don't know what the "thrown to" percentage was. I don't even know if we can find that out.

I can say that, up to this point, Gonzo has played in 30 fewer games. That's huge. That's almost two full seasons less than Sharpe.

And I'd say Gonzo likely had less opportunities due to KC's dog$#it offense his first 6 years that consisted of Run, Run, Pass, Punt. We like to call it the R2P2 in KC.

The pic below has Gonzo's stats with Sharpe's career numbers below (and unfortunately slightly askew.)
Attached Images
 
Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #203
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,145

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Hey Bobo, did you even live in this country for the start of Sharpe's career? Seems to me that you probably should just STFU about Sharpe's play as I doubt you even saw his early years.
I've been watching the sport since 1992 so I've seen plenty of Sharpe.

Of course, you were four years old when he was a rookie.

So shut the **** up, Florida Bobbo.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #204
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

only kc fans think gonzo is better than sharpe. this is fun.
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #205
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

So again, I was watching the sport before you even lived in this country and at 4 years old I already had a huge head start on you when it comes to football knowledge, which was accelerated even further when I played organized football almost every year from age 8 up into high school...something you never did.

So how come you never played football Bobo? Were you too lazy/slow/dumb to even be one of the fat 3rd string linemen? Was mommy too worried the kids with even a shred of athletic ability would embarrass you? Or was your arrogant attitude so bad that all the kids and coaches hated you?

It has to be one of those reasons.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #206
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,145

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
So again, I was watching the sport before you even lived in this country and at 4 years old I already had a huge head start on you when it comes to football knowledge
That's great. Did they give out trophies for football knowledge? Let me know how that's working out for you.

I'll be over here not caring.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #207
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

god knows you don't have any knowledge. but wait, gonzo can jump high, amirtie guys?
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #208
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer
 
azbroncfan's Avatar
 
Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 8,645

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW
Default

I haven't read through this thread but it is a garbage thread by the title. It will take 4 years at least to find out who was the better draft pick. Right now both of the bums are just potential. They both suck until proven otherwise.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:22 AM   #209
KCStud
Ring of Famer
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,811

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Sharpe SB rings with Baltimore: 1

Gonzo rings with chefs: 0.
Yes because Sharpe had A LOT to do with the Ravens winning that year.

Everybody knows the Ravens won that SB with their defense
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #210
KCStud
Ring of Famer
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,811

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
only kc fans think gonzo is better than sharpe. this is fun.
And only Bronco fans think Scheffler, aka super hero of the world, is better than Gonzo. What a joke that is
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 AM   #211
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

No trophies, but I guess bottom feeder publications like WPI will give writing "jobs" to any blob who has watched a game of football in his life.

I wonder how your readers would feel if they knew you came here and constantly got your ass handed to you by a bunch of Bronco fans.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #212
jonny1
Ahhh, football!
 
Broncos' cheerleaders rule!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,507

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Yes because Sharpe had A LOT to do with the Ravens winning that year.

Everybody knows the Ravens won that SB with their defense
Do you EVER watch any football?

The Ravens wouldn't have made it through the playoffs if not for a couple of plays by Sharpe, against the Broncos (dammit) and the Faders.
jonny1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #213
sixtimeseight
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch 2.0 View Post
I don't know what the "thrown to" percentage was. I don't even know if we can find that out.

I can say that, up to this point, Gonzo has played in 30 fewer games. That's huge. That's almost two full seasons less than Sharpe.

And I'd say Gonzo likely had less opportunities due to KC's dog$#it offense his first 6 years that consisted of Run, Run, Pass, Punt. We like to call it the R2P2 in KC.

The pic below has Gonzo's stats with Sharpe's career numbers below (and unfortunately slightly askew.)
Looks to me that their stats are almost identical. Time to go to the tiebreaker:

Sharpe:

Gonzalez:


Game over.
sixtimeseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #214
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,416

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Gonzo better than Sharpe? You guys are funny.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #215
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
And only Bronco fans think Scheffler, aka super hero of the world, is better than Gonzo. What a joke that is
I never made that claim, and anybody who would doesn't know football, much like you and bobo so not sure why you'd give it any credance anyway.
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #216
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,842
Default

It should be noted that Sharpe also has 62 catches and 800 yards in the playoffs to Gonzos 11 and 106.

oh yeah, and Tony played on offenses that ranked in the top 10 in either yards or points 8 times in his career, so the whole, ****ty offense argument doesn't hold water.

Last edited by 2KBack; 06-21-2008 at 07:42 PM..
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #217
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!
 
SureShot's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,951

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell
Default

More importantly Shannon has a 30 inch verticle where as Gonzo's verticle jump cannot be truely measured by todays scientists.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #218
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
It should be noted that Sharpe also has 62 catches and 800 yards in the playoffs to Gonzos 11 and 106.

oh yeah, and Tony played on offenses that ranked in the top 10 in either yards or points 8 times in his career, so the whole, ****ty offense argument doesn't hold water.
Oh but playoff stats and rings DONT MATTER!!! really guys, it's all about regular season stats and jumping HIGH! FOR REEEEAAAALLLL!!!1!

And gonzo dunks over the crossbar when he scores, see?? he's better!!!!

Players like Trent Green and Priest Homles sucked!!!! Tony was all we had! Not to mention a decade of one of the best OL in the league. But really, our offenses were horrible, they only had Tony G zomg!

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 06-21-2008 at 09:54 PM..
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:42 AM   #219
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,406

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I never made that claim, and anybody who would doesn't know football, much like you and bobo so not sure why you'd give it any credance anyway.
Nobody did but he keeps bringing it up.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:48 AM   #220
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Nobody did but he keeps bringing it up.
And he paints us all with the same brush. It's a total straw man, and it's annoying just to read.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #221
crazyhorse
All Motor!!
 
crazyhorse's Avatar
 
You can only hope to contain me

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,298
Default

Now wait:

I thought John Elway was the reason the Broncos won a SB. er I mean...TD...er, I mean.....Rod Smith.

I just cant tell what individual won the Superbowl for the Broncos anymore.


Let's be realistic folks. When you are trying to evaluate individual talent, you cant use SB wins. A SB win is a team achievement. If you wanted to use SBs as a way of evaluating a single player, then you could argue that Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino. I think we all know how ridiculous that statement is.

If you want to compare a player to another, then you have to attempt to evauate the team they played for and the effect it had on thier individual statistics. Then try to compare those statistics. The arguement will always be subjective. Fact is, both were good TE's. I happen to be in the camp that feels TG is the better of the 2. But then I'm a Chiefs fan. It's no surprize that most here feel that Sharpe was better.

I think we can all agree that statistically Gonzo will shatter Sharpes statistics when all is said and done. I'm also fairly sure that Gonzo would give up those stats to have a ring.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 06-22-2008 at 11:13 AM..
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #222
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Now wait:

I thought John Elway was the reason the Broncos won a SB. er I mean...TD...er, I mean.....Rod Smith.

I just cant tell what individual won the Superbowl for the Broncos anymore.


Let's be realistic folks. When you are trying to evaluate individual talent, you cant use SB wins. A SB win is a team achievement. If you wanted to use SBs as a way of evaluating a single player, then you could argue that Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino. I think we all know how ridiculous that statement is.

If you want to compare a player to another, then you have to attempt to evauate the team they played for and the effect it had on thier individual statistics. Then try to compare those statistics. The arguement will always be subjective. Fact is, both were good TE's. I happen to be in the camp that feels TG is the better of the 2. But then I'm a Chiefs fan. It's no surprize that most here feel that Sharpe was better.

I think we can all agree that statistically Gonzo will shatter Sharpes statistics when all is said and done. I'm also fairly sure that Gonzo would give up his left nut to have 3 rings.
ftfy.

Regardless, eventhough a SB win is a team accomplishment, you also need good players to get it done (hi 80s Bronocs). While you can't attribute the entire victory to a single player, you can't take away the whole of the accomplishment from them either.

Some players mean more to their teams than just the stats or with their leadership. In Sharpe's case, he's the even rarer player that can do both. Although Baltimore rode their defense to their SB win, it's not merely a coinecednce that Sharpe was a part of leading that team to victory, something that Gonzalez just can't do even when he had talent around him.

Bottom line is chief fans want to just look at things that put gonzo in a better light than Sharpe will ignoring the opposite. I mean, winning SB's is the be all end all in this sport. It's why they play. So saying that a player that has won 3 but it has to be thrown out in an argument only because it doesn't help your side of the case, is just ludricus. It's the mantra of the perennial loser and it gets old.

We can all agree that Sharpe and gonzo are two of the all time greats at the position and we've been lucky to see them play. However, history remembers winners, and as such, Sharpe will always go down at the better of the two in every region of the world outside of Kansas City. This is why it's too bad for gonzo that he never got out of KC while he could.

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 06-22-2008 at 01:08 PM..
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #223
KCStud
Ring of Famer
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,811

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
ftfy.

Regardless, eventhough a SB win is a team accomplishment, you also need good players to get it done (hi 80s Bronocs). While you can't attribute the entire victory to a single player, you can't take away the whole of the accomplishment from them either.

Some players mean more to their teams than just the stats or with their leadership. In Sharpe's case, he's the even rarer player that can do both. Although Baltimore rode their defense to their SB win, it's not merely a coinecednce that Sharpe was a part of leading that team to victory, something that Gonzalez just can't do even when he had talent around him.

Bottom line is chief fans want to just look at things that put gonzo in a better light than Sharpe will ignoring the opposite. I mean, winning SB's is the be all end all in this sport. It's why they play. So saying that a player that has won 3 but it has to be thrown out in an argument only because it doesn't help your side of the case, is just ludricus. It's the mantra of the perennial loser and it gets old.

We can all agree that Sharpe and gonzo are two of the all time greats at the position and we've been lucky to see them play. However, history remembers winners, and as such, Sharpe will always go down at the better of the two in every region of the world outside of Kansas City. This is why it's too bad for gonzo that he never got out of KC while he could.
Really? Is that why people remember Dan Marino as one of the best QB's of all time?

Gonzo has played his part. Players get their rings as a part of a TEAM. It's a TEAM effort.
Gonzo does not have a ring because his TEAM was not as talented or good to make it. Now please tell me how that is his fault?

And your argument is weak. Gonzo was great in the stats AND leadership. The entire team looks up to him for a reason and has for the last 5+ years.

Gonzo has put his team in position to win plenty of times. His team could not make the plays. Gonzo was a big part of KC's offense against Indy at home in the playoffs. It was not his fault that his defense was horrible.
One player can only do so much. It's a TEAM that decides the game.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #224
KCStud
Ring of Famer
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,811

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Rings do NOT decide if a one player is better than another. It's not like that one player made all the plays and won. The only position you can argue that against is QB, not TE.

I bet the fans who believe this are the same fans who believed that Peyton Manning was not as good as Tom Brady when he didn't have a ring when Manning was clearly a better QB
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #225
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,406

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Rings do NOT decide if a one player is better than another. It's not like that one player made all the plays and won. The only position you can argue that against is QB, not TE.

I bet the fans who believe this are the same fans who believed that Peyton Manning was not as good as Tom Brady when he didn't have a ring when Manning was clearly a better QB
Rings aren't the deciding factor, but they can't be ignored. Someone who makes plays in big games and wins championships can't be ignored. They have to factored in with everything else. Sharpe made some huge plays in the playoffs and was extremely productive there. Especially with the Ravens there were plays where if he doesn't make them, they don't go to the Super Bowl. He converted a critical third down for us against the Steelers to take us to the top and him just being on the field helped neutralize Butler and open things up for the run game against the Packers in SB XXXII.

From all accounts, Gonzo hasn't had any great postseason performances. He has been very prolific, but people want to see performances in the playoffs to elevate them to great status. It might not be fair, but its how a lot of people think and its one of the reasons guys like Barry Sanders aren't usually picked as "the greatest" running back of all time but "one of" instead.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Denver Broncos