The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #51
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Some art:

http://aegis-strife.net/

http://www.oscarwoodruff.com/home
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #52
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default A Carbon-Negative Fuel

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives//007427.html

"Impossible!" you say. "Even wind and solar have carbon emissions from their manufacturing, and biofuels are carbon neutral at best. How can a fuel be carbon negative?" But listen to people working on gasification and terra preta, and you'll have something new to think about.

We've mentioned terra preta before: it's a human-made soil or fertilizer. "Three times richer in nitrogen and phosphorous, and twenty times the carbon of normal soils, terra preta is the legacy of ancient Amazonians who predate Western civilization." Although we don't know how it was made back then, we do know how to make it now: burn biomass (preferably agricultural waste) in a special way that pyrolisizes it, breaking down long hydrocarbon chains like cellulose into shorter, simpler molecules. These simpler molecules are more easily broken down by microbes and plants as food, and bond more easily with key nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus. This is what makes terra preta such good fertilizer. Because terra preta locks so much carbon in the soil, it's also a form of carbon sequestration that doesn't involve bizarre heroics like pumping CO2 down old mine shafts. What's more, it may reduce other greenhouse gases as well as water pollution: according to Biopact, a network that promotes biofuels and biomass energy,

Char-amended soils have shown 50 - 80 percent reductions in nitrous oxide emissions and reduced runoff of phosphorus into surface waters and leaching of nitrogen into groundwater. As a soil amendment, biochar significantly increases the efficiency of and reduces the need for traditional chemical fertilizers, while greatly enhancing crop yields. Experiments have shown yields for some crops can be doubled and even tripled.

As it happens, the process of burning/pyrolisizing agricultural char is also a way to produce energy. MIT Professor Amy Smith, a recipient of the prestigious MacArthur "genius award," gave a TED Conference talk in 2006 on using agricultural char as fuel in developing countries. It works because the chemical reactions that break down the long hydrocarbon chains also give off hydrogen gas, methane, and various other burnable fuel gases. (As well as tars and non-useful gases like CO2.) This is gasification. The fuel gas can be burned for heat, or if it's pretty clean (that is, if the tar levels are low), it can be used to power an engine.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #53
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.mechabolic.org/index.html

The Mechabolic: Technology of Gasification

Gasification is the general term used for processes where heat is applied to transform solid biomass into a "natural gas like" gaseous fuel. Through gasification, we can take nearly any solid biomass waste and convert it into a clean burning, carbon neutral, flammable fuel. Whether starting with wood scraps or coffee grounds, municipal trash or junk tires, pistachio nut shells or avocado pits, the end product is a flexible gaseous fuel you can burn in your gasoline engine, cooking stove, heating furnace and/or flamethrower. Apply a little additional effort through liquefaction technologies like Fischer-Trospch or other catalyst based processes, and methanol, ethelyene, and diesel are possible too a modest complexity.

Sound impossible?

Well, over 1,000,000 vehicles in Europe ran onboard gasifiers during WWII to make fuel from wood, as gasoline and diesel were rationed and/or unavailable. Long before there was biodiesel and SVO, we actually succeeded in a large-scale, alternative fuels redeployment. That redeployment was made possible by the gasification of waste biomass, using simple gasifiers about as complex as a traditional wood stove. Gasifiers are easily reproduced (and improved) today by DIY enthusiasts, using simple hammer and wrench technology. (see www.woodgas.com and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasification for more background info).

The Mechabolic project intends to reintroduce this technology for contemporary DIY enthusiasts, with improvements in design following from the many sensing and embedded control potentials that were not available during the previous "woodgas" deployment. We intend for this "artistic deployment" to seque into a growing collection of usable wood gas converted cars and other machines for off playa purposes. In fact, we are currently in the process of converting Ritual Café on Valencia street to run entirely on its own coffee grounds waste. Coffee in: electricity, heat and gaseous fuel out. (our current DIY gasification efforts are here and here
Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #54
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://cryptogon.com/?p=2736

Who’s More Innovative When it Comes to Electric Vehicles? The Soviet Ministries of Ford and GM, or a Besieged Palestinian in Gaza?

Ford and GM are asking for subsidies to accomplish a fraction of what Fayez Annan has already done… under siege conditions. Never mind Think, Phoenix, Aptera and all the rest. Let’s look at Ford and GM vs. a man living under siege conditions to see who can produce a better EV.

Story 1: DOE Awards $30 Million for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Car Research

One has to wonder if this news is too little too late already but, Ford, General Motors and General Electric will split $30 million to develop and demonstrate Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles research projects over the next three years.

The Department of Energy said today the projects will hasten the development of vehicles capable of traveling up to 40 miles without recharging, which includes most daily roundtrip commutes and satisfies 70% of the average daily travel in the US. The projects will also address critical barriers to achieving DOE’s goal of making such cars cost-competitive by 2014 and ready for commercialization by 2016. Of course by then gas could cost so much people will be happy to push their cars.

Story 2: In Besieged City, Man Builds Electric Vehicle with 110 Mile Range

Fayez Annan turns the silver key to start the power, pushes the green button on the standard industrial jog-run-stop switch on the dashboard, and eases the white Peugeot 205 into the main east-west shopping street in Gaza City.

With traffic abnormally sparse, thanks to the acute fuel shortages caused by the Israeli blockade, he soon reaches the distinctly un-urban and pedestrian-scattering speed of 37 miles per hour (60kph).

But then Mr Annan is proudly trying to make a point that, while it might be electric, this Peugeot is no milkfloat. “It can do 100kph (62mph),” he says with a grin, as our knuckles whiten in the passenger seats. Whether or not Mr Annan’s friend Hesham Abu Sido, an electrical consultant, is justified in describing the electric vehicle as a “genius idea” which is “the most fantastic thing that has happened in Gaza”, it is certainly a case of turning adversity into opportunity.

It also proves that Gaza’s famous entrepreneurial spirit has not yet been snuffed out by the draconian economic blockade imposed by Israel after the Palestinian militant group Hamas seized full control of the Strip by force a year ago tomorrow.

Since then, Gaza has seen continuing conflict, ever-deepening poverty, shortages, unemployment and despair. Against that background, the white Peugeot has become a symbol of Gaza’s suppressed potential. “People who have seen it are even happier than we are,” says Mr Annan. “They see it as something to be proud of in Gaza, which they haven’t had in a long time.”

The electric Peugeot is the brainchild of Mr Annan, 42, whose family owns a white goods business, and his friend Wasseem Al Khazendar, 48, who runs the largest company in Gaza selling electrical motors and switchgear to industry.

“I had been wanting to do something like this for a long time,” said Mr Khazendar. “I wanted to make a car which was environment-friendly. Even if you aren’t adding cooking oil, diesel is bad for the environment and an electric car is much cheaper to run.”

As indeed it is. With desperately scarce petrol costing about £1 per litre – and more than three times that on the black market – a six or seven-hour charge provides enough power to cover 110 miles at a cost of just over 90p. And all you need to charge the batteries is a simple mains plug. “It is like charging your mobile,” says Mr Annan. “You can do it anywhere – even while you are shopping.”
Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #55
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/startup.../st_cyberwalk#

An Omnidirectional Treadmill Means One Giant Leap for Virtual Reality

One of the problems with virtual reality has always been that you had to either confine yourself to a joystick or strap into some crazy Lawnmower Man-style harness. Hardly natural. This April, however, a team based at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen, Germany, unveiled the CyberWalk, an omnidirectional treadmill designed to serve as a VR-capable movement platform.

Treadmills have been tried in VR before, of course, but early models were unconvincing — either too small to keep goggled wanderers on the platform or too slow, bouncy, or gap-ridden to feel the least bit real. The CyberWalk solves these problems with a stiff, gapless, 20 x 20-foot floor and movement and feedback systems that enable quick, fluid changes of direction.

We know what you're thinking: Halo! But gamers must wait. For now, access goes to spatial-cognition and perception researchers, who will use the CyberWalk to "explore all sorts of things we haven't been able to explore before," says William Thompson, a University of Utah computer scientist. In addition to studying our brains and understanding space and movement, they'll assess potential for military and disaster-response operations and see if the device can be used to treat medical issues such as Parkinson's. After that, and only if you're good boys and girls, maybe you'll get to use it for Halo.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #56
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://wikkid.nullinator.net/index.php/28_May_2008

Mind War 4

By Hamid Golpira, Tehran Times

Everyone is worried about World War III breaking out but almost no one has noticed that we’re in the middle of Mind War 4.

Actually, the mind wars are so clandestine that we may be in the middle of Mind War 40 for all we know.

The matrix is real. The Mind War has entrapped the minds of most of humanity, and most people live in a fantasy world totally disconnected from reality.

Fortunately, a liberation movement has arisen, the freethinking resistance, which is trying to help people free their minds.

The freethinking resistance is made up of diverse groups with various ideologies. Under normal circumstances, they would be competing with each other in their endeavors to win people over.

However, having realized the gravity of the situation, they have banded together in a loose alliance in resistance to the Mind War.

Basically, the freethinking resistance tells people: “We don’t care if you think like us, but please think. Do not lose your power of reasoning.”

Each of the diverse groups in the freethinking resistance believes it is better if people think and oppose their ideology than if they blindly follow the ideology.

Mindless followers often defect to the enemy, and even if they don’t, the fact that they don’t think things through deeply undermines the movement.

In addition, accepting mindless followers destroys a movement from within because it means that they have begun using the strategy and tactics of the enemy.

It is better to have a few followers who understand the goals of the movement.

And this is why encouraging people to think for themselves is the main objective of the freethinking resistance.

There is a system of mind control that attempts to discourage people from using their higher brain centers so their thinking becomes focused in their reptilian brain, which is the most primitive part of the brain.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #57
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

A paper on dogs knowing when their owners are home:

http://www.sheldrake.org/articles/pdf/40.pdf
Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #58
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006..._unveils_w.php

The World's First "Magnetic Levitation" Wind Turbines Unveiled in China
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #59
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default Who’s afraid of a synthetic human?

Who’s afraid of a synthetic human?

In the future there will be no more human beings. This is not something we should worry about.

Much of today’s scientific research may enable us eventually to repair the terrible vulnerability to which our present state of evolution has exposed us. It is widely thought inevitable that we will have to face the end of humanity as we know it. We will either have died out altogether, killed off by self-created global warming or disease, or, we may hope, we will have been replaced by our successors.

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill would allow for inter-species embryos that will not only enable medical science to overcome the acute shortage of human eggs for research, but would provide models for the understanding of many disease processes, an essential precursor to the development of effective therapies.

Darwinian evolution has taken millions of years to create human beings; the next phase of evolution, a phase I call “enhancement evolution”, could occur before the end of the century. The result may be the emergence of a new species that will initially live alongside us and eventually may entirely replace humankind.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #60
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default The United States of Advertising

The United States of Advertising

have been taking a keen interest in television adverts for indigestion products lately.

This habit more or less coincided with my discovery of beef jerky, an American food whose classiness you can judge from the fact that it is mainly found in petrol stations.

You could make it yourself at home by cutting a tough, thin steak into tiny strips and leaving them on a sunny window ledge to dry when you went away for your summer holiday.

Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

That should give you the very essence of jerky - dry and rubbery at the same time, and chewy - like Bovril-flavoured lino.

I started off munching on slivers of it on long drives through America's far horizons, but now I am perfectly capable of eating my own body weight of the stuff on a trip to the shops.

Advertising standards

As is often the case with addictions, I began dabbling in adverts for indigestion tablets and slowly found myself hooked on the darker, stronger material contained in commercials for prescription drugs.

America is, I think, the only country in the world which permits advertising of drugs which are available only through your doctor.

The insidious message is simple; if your doctor is not offering you this drug, maybe you should be asking for it.

Americans do accept advertising in areas where it does not tend to appear elsewhere.

It is not uncommon here for a sports presenter to be required to break away from the main business in hand to draw your attention to the succulence of a sausage or the ruggedness of a truck.

Prescription drugs though are surely different. After all, the whole point of them is that it is not considered safe to let us simply buy them over the counter.

They are so strong or so habit forming that it is up to the doctor to decide that we really need them.

Advertising subtly changes that relationship by sending us in to see the doctor filled with nameless dreads about the symptoms of diseases we might have, and a detailed knowledge of the drugs that might help us.

The TV spots in other words insidiously furnish us with the tools to torture ourselves.

On the occasions when I do lie awake at night these days the floppy, flabby, mis-shapen demons of my own future link hands and dance around my bed

I am happy enough for example, and secretly regard anyone who is happier as slightly mad - but who I am to say that the bottled sunshine of the prescription anti-depressant would not lift my mood a couple of notches further.

I sleep well enough too, but I certainly do not start the day with the radiant lustre of the woman in the sleeping pill advert.

She is perhaps the jolliest person in TV advert land's world of impotence, flatulence and obesity.

On the occasions when I do lie awake at night these days the floppy, flabby, mis-shapen demons of my own future link hands and dance around my bed.

Do I suffer from the curiously named symptoms which would alert me to my serious illnesses?

Straining. Going Too Often. Not going at all. Going when you were not expecting to. Incomplete emptying - which always puts me in mind of an inefficiently run fire drill in a public building, but which of course refers to an altogether different, trouser-dampening reality.

The biggest single market is in drugs that deal with erectile dysfunction. My favourite features a group of men who gather together to play in a band.

Side effects

I think it is meant to show them looking relaxed and happy, but they are such good musicians you cannot help noting that impotence has left them with plenty of time on their hands to practise their instruments.

The best part of the adverts tends to come towards the end when the law requires the pharmaceutical company to list the possible side effects of the various products.

Sometimes these are spelled out in a warm tone implying this is all a bit of a formality imposed by our fuss-budget of a government.

On other occasions they are rattled out at speeds normally only reached by horse racing commentators in the closing stages of a big race.

The symptoms include coughs and sneezes, runny noses and rashes but there is a more alarming end of the spectrum too where you are solemnly warned of the possibility - presumably small - of suffering a stroke, a heart attack or even death - the last and greatest side-effect of them all.

'Profoundly different'

I think about those adverts - and those side-effects - every time I open a fresh pack of dried beef using my gigantic, jerky-reinforced arms.

They are a daily reminder of the many ways in which America - superficially so similar to Western Europe - is really profoundly different.

Those adverts with their sure sense of how to play on our doubts and insecurities are a symptom of the restless energy of American capitalism and of the belief that it can apply to issues of health and happiness just as readily as it can apply to polish or pet food.

The downside of the system for me? Well, I have rampant, raging hypochondria these days to add to my chronic, jerky-induced indigestion.

And the upside? Well, there is bound to be something I can take for it.

If I can just manage to plant myself in front of the television until an advert for the tablets I am waiting for eventually pops up.

From Our Own Correspondent will be broadcast on Saturday 14 June, 2008 at 1130 BST on BBC Radio 4. Please check the programme schedules for World Service transmission times.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...nt/7453357.stm

Published: 2008/06/14 11:14:36 GMT
Old 06-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #61
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Terminator_M...rol_Dengue.php

Millions of transgenic mosquitoes are to be released into the fishing village of Pulau Ketam off Selangor, Malaysia, as part of an international series of field trials to fight dengue fever [1]. The Malaysian field trials will be undertaken by the Health Ministry's Institute of Medical Research (IMR) in collaboration with Oxitec Ltd., a spin-off biotech company from the University of Oxford in the UK. This follows the reported success of confined laboratory trials conducted under the supervision of the IMR over the past year.

The technique, which has won Oxitec the Technology Pioneers 2008 award at the World Economic Forum, involves releasing transgenic male Aedes mosquitoes carrying a ‘killer' gene to mate with wild female mosquitoes, which causes (nearly) all their progeny to die. This is a variant of the Sterile Insect Technique (SIT) that has been successfully used in wiping out other insect vectors in the past [2], though the sterile males were created by X-irradiation, and not by transgenesis.

The release of sterile males is considered “environmentally benign” [2], as only female mosquitoes bite and suck blood and transmit the disease-causing virus; not the male mosquitoes.

If the Pulau Ketam trials are successful, the transgenic killer mosquitoes will be released in bigger towns which have a high incidence of dengue [1]. Dengue is reported to be the fastest growing vector-borne disease in the world, affecting 55 percent of the global population with an estimated 100 million cases in over 100 countries. Chikungunya, a disease similar to dengue fever and also spread by the Aedes mosquito, has become a major problem, at least in India, where there were 140 000 cases in 2007.

Oxitec has received regulatory and import permits for confined evaluation in the US, France and Malaysia, while still holding discussions with regulators of other endemic countries such as India.

Environmental groups fear that releasing the transgenic mosquitoes may affect the ecosystem and cause further damage. But there has been remarkably little informed reporting on the nature of the potential hazards involved.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #62
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

NASA provides "Explanation" of China Earthquake: "Electrical disturbances on edge of atmosphere & impending quakes"

For something to chew on:

Benjamin Fulford: Chinese Earthquake done by HAARP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fr...search_Program

The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) is an investigation project to "understand, simulate and control ionospheric processes that might alter the performance of communication and surveillance systems." Started in 1993, the project is proposed to last for a period of twenty years. The project is jointly funded by the United States Air Force, the Navy, the University of Alaska and Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). The system was designed and built by Advanced Power Technologies, Inc. (APTI) and since 2003, by BAE Systems Inc.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #63
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biotech/20845/

Drugs to Grow Your Brain

Compounds that trigger the growth of new brain cells might help treat depression.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #64
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

The age of the rage: why are we so angry?
Our society is becoming more and more angry - with stressful situations increasingly ending in acts of physical violence
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #65
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523 View Post
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Terminator_M...rol_Dengue.php

Millions of transgenic mosquitoes are to be released into the fishing village of Pulau Ketam off Selangor, Malaysia, as part of an international series of field trials to fight dengue fever [1]. The Malaysian field trials will be undertaken by the Health Ministry's Institute of Medical Research (IMR) in collaboration with Oxitec Ltd., a spin-off biotech company from the University of Oxford in the UK. This follows the reported success of confined laboratory trials conducted under the supervision of the IMR over the past year.

The technique, which has won Oxitec the Technology Pioneers 2008 award at the World Economic Forum, involves releasing transgenic male Aedes mosquitoes carrying a ‘killer' gene to mate with wild female mosquitoes, which causes (nearly) all their progeny to die. This is a variant of the Sterile Insect Technique (SIT) that has been successfully used in wiping out other insect vectors in the past [2], though the sterile males were created by X-irradiation, and not by transgenesis.

The release of sterile males is considered “environmentally benign” [2], as only female mosquitoes bite and suck blood and transmit the disease-causing virus; not the male mosquitoes.

If the Pulau Ketam trials are successful, the transgenic killer mosquitoes will be released in bigger towns which have a high incidence of dengue [1]. Dengue is reported to be the fastest growing vector-borne disease in the world, affecting 55 percent of the global population with an estimated 100 million cases in over 100 countries. Chikungunya, a disease similar to dengue fever and also spread by the Aedes mosquito, has become a major problem, at least in India, where there were 140 000 cases in 2007.

Oxitec has received regulatory and import permits for confined evaluation in the US, France and Malaysia, while still holding discussions with regulators of other endemic countries such as India.

Environmental groups fear that releasing the transgenic mosquitoes may affect the ecosystem and cause further damage. But there has been remarkably little informed reporting on the nature of the potential hazards involved.
This is amazing. Potentially the chance to kill or replace the vectors for malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, rift valley fever, and host of viral encephalities. If successful this would be arguably the greatest public health victory in the history of the world comparable to the eradication of smallpox and the advent of widespread vaccination.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #66
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Good stuff, keep it coming...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #67
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/startup.../st_cyberwalk#

An Omnidirectional Treadmill Means One Giant Leap for Virtual Reality

One of the problems with virtual reality has always been that you had to either confine yourself to a joystick or strap into some crazy Lawnmower Man-style harness. Hardly natural. This April, however, a team based at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen, Germany, unveiled the CyberWalk, an omnidirectional treadmill designed to serve as a VR-capable movement platform.

Treadmills have been tried in VR before, of course, but early models were unconvincing — either too small to keep goggled wanderers on the platform or too slow, bouncy, or gap-ridden to feel the least bit real. The CyberWalk solves these problems with a stiff, gapless, 20 x 20-foot floor and movement and feedback systems that enable quick, fluid changes of direction.

We know what you're thinking: Halo! But gamers must wait. For now, access goes to spatial-cognition and perception researchers, who will use the CyberWalk to "explore all sorts of things we haven't been able to explore before," says William Thompson, a University of Utah computer scientist. In addition to studying our brains and understanding space and movement, they'll assess potential for military and disaster-response operations and see if the device can be used to treat medical issues such as Parkinson's. After that, and only if you're good boys and girls, maybe you'll get to use it for Halo.
here you go

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #68
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Who’s afraid of a synthetic human?

In the future there will be no more human beings. This is not something we should worry about.
After reading his article, this man has a very narrow view of humanity.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #69
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
This is amazing. Potentially the chance to kill or replace the vectors for malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, rift valley fever, and host of viral encephalities. If successful this would be arguably the greatest public health victory in the history of the world comparable to the eradication of smallpox and the advent of widespread vaccination.
ya i agree - i also see the dystopian view of say....releasing a SARS or something - but as with anything - it's a tool....
Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #70
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
After reading his article, this man has a very narrow view of humanity.
Well, he IS a professor. ;p
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #71
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Don't Talk To The Police

Law professor James Duane explains why innocent civilians should never talk to the police, about anything. He presents a myriad of reasons why an innocuous conversation with (or the act of providing information to) the police could come back to haunt you.

Interestingly, in a quarter of wrongfully-convicted cases later exonerated by DNA evidence, the innocent defendants were convicted based on 'incriminating' statements made to the police.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #72
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

AN ARMY OF FUN - VIDEO ARCADE TO LURE RECRUITS

June 15, 2008 -- We're going to Army World!

In August, the military plans to open its first Army Experience Center, a combination recruiting center/video arcade/retail store to promote serving your country.

Rumored to becoming to Times Square, it'll be like the Disney Store, except with guns and camouflage.

The 14,500-square-foot center will be a multimedia extrava ganza with high-tech gadgetry, including flight simulators and life-size soldier video games.

That person greeting you at the door? That's an actual Army of ficer.

While the Army will sell a small amount of merchandise at the venue, the focus is on building "brand experi ences" that give poten tial recruits a taste of military service. (cont'd on site...)
Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #73
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...e&topic=latest

Scientists to mimic earth's spinning core
Old 06-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #74
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Don't Talk To The Police

Law professor James Duane explains why innocent civilians should never talk to the police, about anything. He presents a myriad of reasons why an innocuous conversation with (or the act of providing information to) the police could come back to haunt you.

Interestingly, in a quarter of wrongfully-convicted cases later exonerated by DNA evidence, the innocent defendants were convicted based on 'incriminating' statements made to the police.

Perhaps there's more behind those stop snitchin T-shirts than I originally gave them credit for.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #75
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Most complex crop circle ever discovered in British fields

"The code is based on 10 angular segments with the radial jumps being the indicator of each segment.

"Starting at the centre and counting the number of one-tenth segments in each section contained by the change in radius clearly shows the values of the first 10 digits in the value of pi."

Lucy Pringle, a researcher of crop formations, said: "This is an astounding development - it is a seminal event."

Mathematics codes and geometric patterns have long been an important factor in crop circle formations. One of the best known formations showed the image of a highly complex set of shapes known as The Julia Set, 12 years ago.