The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #351
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Playoff time, go AVS!
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #352
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Well with the conclusion of regular season iam trueley impressed with how this team battled injuries all season to stay in the race, iam even more impressed with theo and how hes turned it around i was not a big fan of his early on as you all know but he proved me wrong.

Now his true test comes in the playoffs and also the defense for the wild are a very offensive team with some firepower throughout it's lines probably the defense is their biggest weakness that's in our favor also goaltending is pretty good but can get hot if we don't apply pressure early and often but it can be beat (as we all saw today). Iam guessing lamires starts backstrom i will have to find our record vs him but our scoring lines are getting good the stastny,hedjuk,forsberg line looks unstoppable and should give backstrom fits in net.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #353
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Well with the conclusion of regular season iam trueley impressed with how this team battled injuries all season to stay in the race, iam even more impressed with theo and how hes turned it around i was not a big fan of his early on as you all know but he proved me wrong.

Now his true test comes in the playoffs and also the defense for the wild are a very offensive team with some firepower throughout it's lines probably the defense is their biggest weakness that's in our favor also goaltending is pretty good but can get hot if we don't apply pressure early and often but it can be beat (as we all saw today). Iam guessing lamires starts backstrom i will have to find our record vs him but our scoring lines are getting good the stastny,hedjuk,forsberg line looks unstoppable and should give backstrom fits in net.
It'd be nice if Smyth plays in the playoffs like he did today. He should plant him self as close to the crease as he can EVERY time the Avs have the puck in the attacking zone. Especially on the power play.

Last edited by Pendejo; 04-07-2008 at 12:39 AM..
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #354
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

Yea the Forsberg line is pretty good...i really think we can take Minn. in 6. Its nice to see us back in the playoffs...hopefully we can make a deep run..i'd like a re-match with Detroit...we were no where near healthy pretty much everytime we played them this year so if we knocked them out of the playoffs it'd be sweet!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #355
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

As expected the wild comes out hard and get twp PP chances one being complete BS (boarding) pleaaaaaasssseee but the first ends 0-0 with the avs weathering the storm. Hopefully we are done sitting back and generate some offense and iam glag to see boogarrd playing he always good for some dumb penalties.

Go Avs!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #356
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Go Wild.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #357
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Super ****ing Joe!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #358
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Tay-o-door was unbelievable.

Here's hoping the Wild continue to give that stiff Boogaard a regular shift.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #359
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I'm so glad the playoffs are back. We get to see Sakic kick ass again.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #360
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Tay-o-door was unbelievable.

Here's hoping the Wild continue to give that stiff Boogaard a regular shift.

He made me eat crow that's for sure he looks like the guy that won the Vezina Trophy and as for boogarard and fotuyuk* they got away with murder the whole game in fact the whole wild team got away with crap the whole game 2 freaking penalties the whole game?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #361
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
He made me eat crow that's for sure he looks like the guy that won the Vezina Trophy and as for boogarard and fotuyuk* they got away with murder the whole game in fact the whole wild team got away with crap the whole game 2 freaking penalties the whole game?
No kidding. I think "Fridge" is a respectable player, but Boogaard is a stiff. He has a cool last name though. Obviously the refs called the game in Minnesota's favor, but our guys played smart...balls to the wall hockey. That call they made in the second when Hannan planted Rolston into the ice was terrible.

So goes the playoffs in the NHL. Joe-zay stood on his head...and then the rest of the boys tightened things up. Of course in overtime the puck found it's way to Sakic's stick. He's two ahead of Rocket Richard now in terms of playoff overtime winners.

We'll see what happens next.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #362
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Ahh what a game last night, this is going to be a GREAT series!
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #363
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Avs: Haynes' surgery a success
By Adrian Dater
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/11/2008 01:46:56 PM MDT

Avs radio voice Mike Haynes plays street hockey with neighbors in his Littleton neighborhood in 2004. (Brian Brainerd | The Denver Post)Related Articles
Apr 9:
Voice of Avs is sidelinedApr 8:
Avs announcer to miss playoffsThe news appears good for Avalanche TV play-by-play man Mike Haynes. His surgery Thursday was termed a success by doctors, and he is expected to make a good recovery. Former broadcaster John Kelly will continue to fill in for Haynes through the playoffs.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #364
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

That's good news re: Haynes.

In Blood Feud...Dater described Haynes throwing punches in the air, and his tie flying all over the place as he called a fight. The guy is enthusiastic.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #365
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
That's good news re: Haynes.

In Blood Feud...Dater described Haynes throwing punches in the air, and his tie flying all over the place as he called a fight. The guy is enthusiastic.

You know fans of other team think hes stupid mainly wingie fans i love haynes as our announcer he knows his shyt and is very informative during the game and as you said enthusiastic which i will always remember him almost losing his voice he was so pumped. The early days were great!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #366
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Anyone know if Haynes will return to the Booth? If ever?

Last edited by Bronx33; 04-17-2008 at 06:54 PM..
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #367
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Only time will tell but a full recovery is predicted.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #368
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

So who do the Avs prefer in round 2, Detroit or San Jose?

Personally, I'm pulling for Avs-Wings. It just seems right to see these two get after it again. (Not to mention the Wings match up better v the Avs than the Flames, IMO)

I think i can speak for all when i say, Chris Pronger, ya twerp, you're on the first tee.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #369
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

It wil be DAL Vs CO if CALG wins or DAL vs SJ if the sharkies win--so the 'lanche will face either DAL or the 'wings
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #370
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

The way the Avs are playing right now, they can beat anyone, especially if Jose keeps standing on his head making saves out there.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #371
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
The way the Avs are playing right now, they can beat anyone, especially if Jose keeps standing on his head making saves out there.
their defense is gonna be their downfall. the wild has one, maybe two legit forwards but, outside of calgary, every other team has big-boy hockey players on every line.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #372
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hock...sidelined_for/

Forsberg sidelined until at least Xmas
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #373
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

vs

Bruins-Avalanche Preview
Tony Granato believes his first stint as Colorado Avalanche coach could help make his second one more successful.

His latest begins Thursday night when the Avalanche open at home against the Boston Bruins, who look to build off their first playoff appearance in three seasons.

Granato, a 13-year NHL veteran, returns to the main post behind the Colorado bench after replacing Joel Quenneville, who led the Avalanche to 95 points and the Western Conference semifinals after they missed the playoffs for the first time in 11 seasons in 2006-07.

Most recently an assistant with the team, Granato coached the Avalanche from 2002-2004 after inheriting the team from Bob Hartley during 2002-03. Granato led Colorado to a pair of 100-point seasons, but failed to advance past the conference semifinals.

He believes he's more confident and relaxed this time around.

"You always learn a lot," said Granato, who was replaced by Quenneville in July 2004. "You try to get better each day. We're excited to get this thing going."

With Joe Sakic back for a 20th season to join veterans Milan Hejduk, Ryan Smyth, newcomer Darcy Tucker and young stars Paul Stastny and Wojtek Wolski, Granato hopes to instill more tempo on offense for a team that was in the middle of the pack with 231 goals last season.

"We want to be a speed team, a team that dictates the pace of the game with our quickness," Granato said of the Avalanche, who were swept by eventual Stanley Cup champ Detroit in the semifinals a season ago.

Despite battling injuries in 2007-08, Sakic recorded 40 points in 40 games and ranks eighth on the NHL all-time list in points (1,629), 11th in assists (1,006) and 14th in goals (623).

"Him being 100 percent and feeling excited and ready to go gets everybody else that much more excited," Stastny said. "I like what we've got here."

While Stastny led the team with 47 assists and 71 points in 66 games during a solid sophomore season, Colorado hopes Smyth can stay healthy. After signing a five-year deal worth $31.25 million, injuries limited him to 55 games with 14 goals and 23 assists.

With Jose Theodore now in Washington, Peter Budaj assumes the team's No. 1 goaltender role. After winning 31 games in 2006-07, Budaj went 16-10-4 with a 2.57 goals-against average . Now with Andrew Raycroft coming over from Toronto as insurance, Budaj is poised to prove the Avalanche made the right choice by going with him to start.

"They gave me the chance, telling me I'm the guy," Budaj said. "I'm going to do my best and show them I'm capable of being the No. 1."

The Avalanche franchise is 16-5-7 record during season openers, topping all NHL teams with a .696 winning percentage, but faces Boston for the first time since winning 2-0 there on March 6, 2007.

The Bruins are eager to prove their 94-point season under coach Claude Julien was not a fluke.

Despite losing star Patrice Bergeron for almost the entire season due to a serious concussion, Boston won 41 games to finish second in the Northeast Division and secure its first playoff berth since 2003-04. Though the Bruins lost in seven games to Montreal in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, the 18-point improvement from 2006-07 should continue to open the eyes of their opponents.

"I think it's going to make us have to work harder," second-year forward Milan Lucic said. "In the end, I think it is a good thing for us."

Bergeron, who posted at least 70 points in each of his previous two seasons, had three goals and four assists through 10 games before being injured on Oct. 27 against Philadelphia.

The 23-year-old should give a boost to a club that had two 20-plus goal scorers in Marco Sturm and Chuck Kobasew, but ranked in the bottom half of the league with 212 goals.

"Getting Bergeron back, he's a big piece," said center Marc Savard, the Bruins leading scorer last season with 78 points. "What we are known for now is being a solid team defensively and working hard every night. So, hopefully, more goals come. But as long as we get wins, that is the bottom line."

Tim Thomas remains the team's No. 1 goaltender after going 28-19-6 with a career-best 2.44 GAA in 2007-08.

The Bruins open with four straight road games before hosting Pittsburgh on Oct. 20.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #374
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avalanche report: Deep scoring

Ian Laperriere didn't receive a congratulatory phone call from Gordie Howe after collecting the fourth Gordie Howe hat trick - a goal, assist and fight - of his career in Thursday's game against Edmonton.

"But it's always good to show the depth we have on our team," he said.

The Avalanche has scored 28 goals in seven games, and so-called grinders like Laperriere, Ben Guite, Cody McCormick and Cody McLeod have combined for six of them while adding five assists.

McLeod, who scored four goals in 49 games as a rookie, is third on the team with three goals, right behind Milan Hejduk and Ryan Smyth.

"Everybody can chip in," Laperriere said. "Obviously, it's not our job; we're not out there to score goals. But every time we do, it's a bonus for the team. It feels great, especially when you win the game."

Laperriere said he's looking forward to playing against the Sabres, who have outscored opponents 26-13 in the first seven games.

"They've got a heck of a goalie and four great lines," he said. "It's a good challenge for us and we welcome that. You want to see where your team's at and there's no better way than to play the best team in the league right now."

Said Granato: "They're a fast-skating, fast-paced team. They're kind of similar to us, so it should be an exciting matchup. I haven't seen a whole lot of their games. But what I've seen is they're a very disciplined team, one that uses their speed well and obviously a team that has great goaltending."

Jones may play

Right wing David Jones practiced Friday and said he feels up to playing tonight after missing Thursday's game because of an illness. He played Monday in Los Angeles and got sick after arriving home.

Budaj back in net

Peter Budaj will be back in goal for the Avalanche, seeking his third win in a row. He stopped 51-of-55 shots in his past two starts to lower his goals-against average to 3.42 and raise his saves percentage to .868.

"He looks like Peter again," Granato said. "He looks like the Peter we thought we were going to see. (Thursday) night he had to make some big saves for us. It looks like he's back in his rhythm."
Old 10-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #375
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Blue Jackets-Avalanche

VS

Ok time to get back right on track after that disapointing loss to calgary i thought we played well but the flames took it and earned it in the 3rd i wasn't real happy about granado going totally defensive in the third and hoping for a chance ( which never remotely even happened lol) We shouldn't have sat back hopefully tony learned something that was a coach Q attribute which i hated.

The Colorado Avalanche's high-powered offense finally ran out of goals in their last game, also bringing an end to the club's five-game winning streak.

The Columbus Blue Jackets, meanwhile, can only hope the end to their own - more ignominious - streak isn't far off.

The Avalanche will look to reignite their attack Thursday night when they host last-place Columbus, which hasn't scored a power-play goal during its current three-game losing streak.

After starting the season with three straight losses, Colorado (5-4-0) responded by reeling off five straight victories, scoring four or more goals four times over that span thanks to major contributions from youngster Paul Stastny, veteran Milan Hejduk and captain Joe Sakic.

That run ended Tuesday, when the Avs managed only two third-period shots in a 3-0 loss at Calgary.

"They stuck to their game plan and in the third it paid off for them," Colorado forward Ian Laperriere said. "They played hard, they played good defensively, and they didn't cheat on the offensive zone to get goals."

Combined with their 2-1 shootout win over Buffalo on Saturday and dating back to last Thursday's 4-1 win over Edmonton, the Avs have now scored just one goal in the last 140 minutes of play.

But the struggles go back even further for the Blue Jackets (3-6-0), who have scored four total goals during their three-game slide, falling into the Central Division cellar. They're 0-for-14 on the power play over that span, and they've scored two or fewer goals in five of their six losses.

There were promising signs Monday against Anaheim, as Columbus outshot the Ducks 24-14 through two periods and led 2-1. But backup goalie Fredrik Norrena allowed a pair of goals in the final period of the 3-2 loss.

"I hope they are, like I am, frustrated," Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock said. "To play this well and give it away, I'd be frustrated."

In hopes of turning things around, Hitchcock will move leading goal-scorer Rick Nash from his typical left wing position to center for Thursday's game. Nash told his team's official Web site that he hasn't played center since he was "10 or 11 years old."

Norrena will likely remain in net, with starter Pascal Leclaire on injured reserve due to a sprained ankle. Norrena has only made two starts this season, but he is already 0-3-0 with a 3.55 goals-against average. He's been much better against the Avs, going 3-2 with a 1.86 GAA in five career appearances.

Colorado will also have a backup in net, as coach Tony Granato will give Andrew Raycroft his third start of the season and his first in 12 days. Raycroft has a 3.01 GAA this season, but he's won both of his outings, beating Philadelphia and Dallas.

The teams split four meetings last season, with the home team winning each time and the Avs outscoring Columbus 8-2 in two wins at the Pepsi Center.

The Blue Jackets fared much better last season against Colorado than they have historically. They're just 4-22-1 with a tie all-time, including 1-12-1 in Denver.

Veteran defenseman Adam Foote has seen both sides of the series. The 37-year-old spent 13 seasons with the Avalanche franchise before signing with Columbus in 2005. The Blue Jackets traded him back to Colorado last season, and Thursday's game will be his first against his former team.

Last edited by Bronx33; 10-30-2008 at 04:21 PM..