The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #601
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
I'm not trying to bait you or anything, but why are you so concerned about it if you're not worried about dealing Esposito, and a first rounder. Colby Armstrong is a big loss, but Marian Hossa is a killer. I think the Pens made this trade with keeping him long term in mind.

Again...Crosby feeding Hossa the puck is sick. I hope this isn't a rental. Gawd this could be good.
If I were going to spend coin on a player like this - I'd like a big nasty blue chip Dman. That's why i'm only hesitant on it.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #602
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
If I were going to spend coin on a player like this - I'd like a big nasty blue chip Dman. That's why i'm only hesitant on it.
Honest, and fair enough. WE'D all like a nasty blue chip D-man, the Avs just got one of theirs back.

The Pens have to have the framework of a deal done with Hossa, or this trade is ****.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #603
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Honest, and fair enough. WE'D all like a nasty blue chip D-man, the Avs just got one of theirs back.

The Pens have to have the framework of a deal done with Hossa, or this trade is ****.

Yep....That ssaid i'm excited and can't wait to see how this pans out.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #604
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Shero had a chance at Jack Johnson, but he let that boat sail by him...thankfully.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #605
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
I really don't think they gave up too much.
you didnt see the interview with hossa then on tsn where he totally sidestepped the question when asked " will you talk contract with the penguins before july 1st"

he wants a shot a free agency, he knows a bidding war will get him 8 mill a year and there is no way the pens pay that, you dont get that much money from revenue sharing.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #606
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
you didnt see the interview with hossa then on tsn where he totally sidestepped the question when asked " will you talk contract with the penguins before july 1st"

he wants a shot a free agency, he knows a bidding war will get him 8 mill a year and there is no way the pens pay that, you dont get that much money from revenue sharing.
Yeah he completely dodged it and didn't want to discuss it. I don't see how the Penguins pay for Crosby, Hossa, Flower, Geno etc.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #607
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Yeah he completely dodged it and didn't want to discuss it. I don't see how the Penguins pay for Crosby, Hossa, Flower, Geno etc.
Flower isnt going to get anything more than 3-3.5m per year. He was injured the whole year and Conklin raped. Crosby has already been extended and has 5 more years on his deal and its a reasonable deal. It's really just Hossa and Geno. Gonchar's 5m per year deal will be coming off the books in 2 years also.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #608
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Flower isnt going to get anything more than 3-3.5m per year. He was injured the whole year and Conklin raped. Crosby has already been extended and has 5 more years on his deal and its a reasonable deal. It's really just Hossa and Geno. Gonchar's 5m per year deal will be coming off the books in 2 years also.
Staal's deal is up too - but i think he's going to be cheap(er).
Old 02-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #609
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Shero had a chance at Jack Johnson, but he let that boat sail by him...thankfully.
I also think that if the pens don't go to the ECF or the SCF's Therrian is gone.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #610
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

Which is another reason i don't want him. Armstrong's on ice production can be replaced. Gary Roberts will eventually be coming back here & Crosby.

Eric Christiansen is a good face off man, a 3rd line center and is a good shoot out guy. But he's a long ways off from being a star.

Esposito & a draft pick are both "unknowns" - so i don't always judge that. We have guys in the system that i think are going to be decent. That's why i don't think it's "too" much. Rumor has it Esposito's "attitude" wasn't "appreciated" by the management.

Last edited by alkemical; 02-27-2008 at 08:18 AM..
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #611
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

Quote:

Remember - Geno's Deal isn't up until NEXT year - the same year as Staals. Fluery needs resigned this year. I don't see Shero giving up on fluery until he's 30. (I don't think i would either IMO, i have my doubts about him - but he is an NHL caliber starting goalie.)
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #612
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Which is another reason i don't want him. Armstrong's on ice production can be replaced. Gary Roberts will eventually be coming back here & Crosby.

Eric Christiansen is a good face off man, a 3rd line center and is a good shoot out guy. But he's a long ways off from being a star.

Esposito & a draft pick are both "unknowns" - so i don't always judge that. We have guys in the system that i think are going to be decent. That's why i don't think it's "too" much. Rumor has it Esposito's "attitude" wasn't "appreciated" by the management.

ok so we kinda agree on hossa, espositos attitude is the reason he fell far enough for you guys to take him in the first place, remember he was a top 5 pick just a few months before the draft. that is alot to give up for somebody that you dont expect to have next year.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #613
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
ok so we kinda agree on hossa, espositos attitude is the reason he fell far enough for you guys to take him in the first place, remember he was a top 5 pick just a few months before the draft. that is alot to give up for somebody that you dont expect to have next year.
Christiansen was on his way out. He didn't really have a niche on the team, and he wasn't going to get the quality minutes at C with the talent above him. Armstrong has a few big hits a year, scores a *few* goals, but isn't more than a 3rd liner.

With a prospect & a pick you just aren't sure WHAT will come out of them. It could be good, or it could be Kris Beech

Getting Hal Gill is a major improvement, now that i see Gill was brought in - i'm much more interested in this trade.

Also, some notes on the cap (these aren't official):

2008-09 Cap Hit

Crosby- $8.7 million Malkin- $3.384 million Sykora- $2.625 million Staal- $2.2 million Talbot- $.675 million Kennedy- $.550 million

Gonchar- $5 million Whitney- $4 million Sydor- $2.5 million Gill- $2.1 million Scuderi- $.713 million Letang- $.647 million

Sabourin- $.513 million Total- $33.607 million Need to re-sign

Malone- $3.2 million Laraque- $1.3 million Ruutu- $1.2 million Dupuis?- $1 million

Orpik- $2 million Nasredinne- $.550 million

Fleury- $3 million Conklin?- $1.5 million
Old 02-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #614
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.pittsburghsportsinsider.c...2144#more-2144

GARY ROBERTS DONE?
Posted by Pittsburgh Sports Insider on February 25th, 2008
Some bad news tonight concerning injured Pens forward Gary Roberts.

It looks as though the Penguins won’t have the services of Gary Roberts during the playoffs. Will this effect what Ray Shero does at the NHL’s Trade Deadline? Tonight on KDKA-TV, Bob Pompeani reported that Roberts season and possibly his career could be over.

Pompeani says that Ron Cook of the Post-Gazette reports in tomorrow’s editions that
Roberts, who was expected back soon, after a long recovery from a broken leg, has had a major setback. In fact, his career might be in jeopardy

Roberts told the p-g, that he tried to skate 2 weeks ago and crumbled to the ice in a heap……
He was r-examined and it was revealed that he tore a ligament in his ankle….and now, he hopes to be back by march 27th….but that is a long shot at best!

So much for the Penguins getting a rested Roberts for the playoffs! It’s looks as though Shero $2.5 million investment wasn’t a good one. Good thing he only gave Roberts a one-year deal.

From a pens board
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #615
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Championship.

(And no Philly, this is not a rental. Shero would not have done it if he couldnt work out the parameters of a long term deal.)

Sid is stoked I bet, but is probably personally hurting because Army was his best friend on the team.
Wow, everything in your sigy makes me want to puke.

Championship? I could never jinx my team that way. You got balls bro. I am just trying to remember the last team to win the Cup with an average to below average goalie. That's your major downfall.

If I were a Pens fan, I would try convincing myself that Shero has a deal in place too. Easier said then done. I just don't see the Pens paying 3 guys 8-10 million a year. Here's the thing, the market will dictate that both Hossa and Malkin will earn more then Cindy per year. Do you think that weasel will just sit there and not b**** when she is the 3rd highest paid player on the Pens? Honestly?
Like I said before, a team like the Wings, Av's, Rangers, Flyers, etc would have no issue because they will pay their players. Let's not play fantasy world here and act like the Pens are free spending.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #616
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post

Championship? I could never jinx my team that way. You got balls bro. I am just trying to remember the last team to win the Cup with an average to below average goalie. That's your major downfall.

If I were a Pens fan, I would try convincing myself that Shero has a deal in place too. Easier said then done. I just don't see the Pens paying 3 guys 8-10 million a year. Here's the thing, the market will dictate that both Hossa and Malkin will earn more then Cindy per year. Do you think that weasel will just sit there and not b**** when she is the 3rd highest paid player on the Pens? Honestly?
Like I said before, a team like the Wings, Av's, Rangers, Flyers, etc would have no issue because they will pay their players. Let's not play fantasy world here and act like the Pens are free spending.
I agree 100% on the market dictating what Hossa and Malkin will make. Lets say that Hossa and Malkin each make 8.5 million in an extension contract(Crosby will make 9 million according to NHLSCAP). That is approx. 27 million tied up with just three players and that is little more than half of the current cap eaten up by THREE players.That's not including MAF and Staal.

Honestly, I think Hossa walks because there will be a 9 million dollar offer waiting from teams like the Canadians. Which by the way Montreal was set to get Hossa and Lehtonen but screwed themselves by trading Huet first thing and subsequently the Penguins outbid them.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #617
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post

The statements in bold, nullified your whole post. Being a little b****, is like what Ovechkin did by putting a clause in his contract he has to be paid more than Crosby, that's being a b****.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #618
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Getting Hal Gill is a major improvement,
hal gill is an improvment ? and you have hopes of doing anything this year in the playoffs ?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #619
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
hal gill is an improvment ? and you have hopes of doing anything this year in the playoffs ?
For getting a physical Dman. The only other one we have is Brooks.

By the way, I can't hear you from up here in the standings.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #620
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08059...d=penguins.xml

Penguins Notebook: Hossa says he's not thinking about his next contract now
Thursday, February 28, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BOSTON -- Marian Hossa is being paid $7 million this season.

He might make more when he signs his next contract.

But Hossa, the all-star right winger the Penguins acquired shortly before the trade deadline Tuesday, said yesterday money won't necessarily be the only factor that determines where he'll play next season.

If so, that could enhance the Penguins' chances of re-signing him before he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1, especially if Hossa enjoys playing for them and he and the team have success during the stretch drive and playoffs.

"It's not strictly money, but to tell you the truth, right now, I'm not even thinking about it," he said after his first practice with the Penguins. "Right now, my main focus for these [first] few days is on my game and helping the team.

"After I see if I fit on this hockey club, then we can think about the future, talk about the contract."
Hall has hernia repair

Penguins forward Adam Hall is expected to miss the rest of the regular season after having surgery to repair a sports hernia yesterday.

He has two goals and four assists in 44 games; his recovery period is projected to be 4 to 6 weeks. Hall earned a contract after coming to training camp last fall on a tryout and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Conklin to face Bruins

Marc-Andre Fleury, who hasn't played in an NHL game since getting a high ankle sprain Dec. 6 in Calgary, was the odds-on favorite to start tonight against Boston at the TD Banknorth Garden.

At least he was until Ty Conklin made 50 saves in the Penguins' 4-2 victory Tuesday on Long Island. That earned Conklin the right to play again in the building where he made his first start as a Penguin in a 5-4 shootout victory Dec. 20.

"Our philosophy never changes," coach Michel Therrien said. "We go with performance. ... Right now, the way Conklin is playing, I have no reason to take him out of the net."
Players high on Hossa trade

General manager Ray Shero's bold move to acquire Hossa is getting mixed reviews in many quarters but has been very well-received in his team's locker room.

The trade was tough for some players on a personal level because of their friendships with Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen, who were sent to Atlanta in the deal, but professionally the Penguins seem convinced Hossa will be a difference-maker for them.

"Our team is going to be sick to watch," right winger Georges Laraque said.

He said getting Hossa "makes us a threat right now, and an immediate Stanley Cup contender," and endorsed Shero's decision to act now instead of waiting for the team to develop and mature over another season or two.

"With the new [collective bargaining agreement], that's what you have to do," Laraque said. "With all the star players we have and the money they'll be making, you only have a couple of more years to win the Cup before you have to get rid of those guys to make [salary-]cap room.

"We're ready now. Why not try now? And if we don't win it, next year will be that much closer. You only have a couple of years to win it.

"Right now, I don't see why not."
Slap shots

Penguins forward Chris Minard picked up his first NHL point yesterday, long after he actually earned it. He is being credited with the second assist on Jeff Taffe's first-period goal against the Islanders; that assist initially went to Kris Letang.
First published on February 28, 2008 at 12:00 am
Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #621
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

can ya hear this, your rental is out 2-3 weeks with a strained mcl, trade looks better all the time.

christenson, armstrong, esposito, for 10 minutes of hossa, was it worth it ?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #622
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Go back under your bridge.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #623
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default Hossa hurt; Penguins lose

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08060...d=penguins.xml

Hossa hurt; Penguins lose
Friday, February 29, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BOSTON -- It's easy to pick out the positives from the Penguins' 5-1 loss to Boston at TD Banknorth Garden last night.

There were no fatalities.

And, uh ... that's about it. Scratch the plural part.

The Penguins, having added world-class winger Marian Hossa minutes before the NHL trade deadline Tuesday, hope to create some glorious memories over the next few months, and perhaps they will.

But Hossa's first game with them, which also was the debut of defenseman Hal Gill and forward Pascal Dupuis with the Penguins, is one they can't forget quickly enough.

Even if they already have.

Not only because of their lopsided defeat, but because they lost Hossa, who sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee and is expected to be out about a week.

"It's really disappointing," said Hossa, who was hurt in a collision with Boston right winger Glen Murray during a second-period power play. "When I dropped the puck to [defenseman Sergei Gonchar], there was a little hit, knee-on-knee. It was just an accident."

That was Murray's take, too.

"I don't know what happened," he said. "I turned, and we collided. We hit at the hips or the knee or something, then all I heard was, 'Oh [expletive], oh [expletive], oh [expletive].' I figured it had to be him."

Hossa played on a line with Ryan Malone and Jordan Staal and said he felt comfortable there before being injured.

"We had some good shifts, a good start," he said.

Perhaps it was fitting that the Penguins got the worst of Hossa's run-in with Murray, because that's how it went with just about everything last night.

"It was a tough game for us," said Dupuis, who scored the Penguins' lone goal. "It seemed like [the Bruins] won every single battle."

Probably because they did, as the Penguins dropped to 36-22-7 and squandered a chance to take over first place in the Eastern Conference.

Goalie Ty Conklin, who has played such a prominent role in hoisting the Penguins toward the top of the conference, gave up three goals on 13 shots before being replaced by Marc-Andre Fleury.

"We didn't have saves," coach Michel Therrien said. "We were behind the eight-ball early in the game."

Fleury, who got his first NHL game action since suffering a high ankle sprain Dec. 6 in Calgary, stopped 16 of 18 shots and said his ankle felt "pretty good" during his 37 minutes, 31 seconds of work.

"I was happy to get some time to play a little bit, to get back in there," he said. "It's been so long."

Fleury might have felt like a newcomer, but Hossa, Dupuis and Gill actually are. Their individual linescores:

Hossa -- one shot on goal, even plus-minus, 10:13 of ice time.

Dupuis -- one goal, two shots, minus-2, 16:43 of ice time.

Gill -- one shot, minus-2, 15:40 of ice time.

"That wasn't the start I wanted," Gill said. "I was a few steps late on some of those goals, and it cost us."

Marco Sturm put Boston in front to stay by steering a Chuck Kobasew shot between Conklin's legs at 9:49 of the first period, then lashed a slap shot by Conklin from near the top of the left circle at 12:07.

Zdeno Chara chased Conklin to the bench when his shot from the high slot caromed off the left leg of Penguins right winger Petr Sykora and past Conklin, and P.J. Axelsson welcomed Fleury by beating him from the front lip of the crease at 16:01.

After Dupuis picked up his 11th of the season at 13:03 of the third, David Krejci of the Bruins closed out the scoring when a Mark Stuart shot deflected in off his left skate at 17:49.

"That's a good team, and they capitalized on their chances," Therrien said. "They worked harder than us for their breaks. We didn't work hard enough to get breaks."

Fact is, the Penguins didn't do much of anything while slipping to 1-1-2 in their past four games.

"There's not much to say," Dupuis said. "The score says it all."
Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #624
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

What the hell is with people ripping on the Hossa trade? My god...It's EVERYTHING the Penguins needed. He's a great scoring winger to play with Crosby or Malkin for this year, where they could make a deep playoff run. Then, they have an opportunity to sign him to a contract suited to THEIR needs(They could give him a Frontloaded contract, a la Dany Heatley), before he hits FA, depending on how reasonable he is. It's a colossal gamble, but I think a gamble like this should be appreciated. Malkin and Staal aren't even RFAs until after the 09/10 season, so they could certainly resign the guy, and if he's as productive as he should be with Crosby or Malkin, then he'll probably see the good sense in resigning.

Laugh at their misfortune for him getting injured if you don't like the Penguins, but don't call it a stupid trade because he got injured.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #625
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

PIT 3 ATL 2 (SO)

Flower returns and rapes!

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote