The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Default Erik Bedard to Seattle

For Adam Jones+ (most likely LHP George Sherrill, RHP Chris Tillman, plus another prospect)....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22871543/

The rest of the package is really gonna influence how I feel about this deal. If we gave up more of our high end guys like Triunfel or Clement, I'll definitely like this trade a helluva lot less.

Always sucks giving up top spects but you gotta give to get.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Anyone else notice how the final package the M's gave up is much better than anything that was offered for Santana? Interesting.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

This is a great move for the M's. They're in dire need of a Left handed Ace, last year they would have made the playoffs easily if they just had 1 more worthwhile arm in their rotation.

Plus our bullpen will be extremely powerful after this. Our Relievers are among tops in the league imo, they're just young.

P.S. Felix is a beast.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Anyone else notice how the final package the M's gave up is much better than anything that was offered for Santana? Interesting.
And the Arizona Diamondbacks gave up more for Danny Haren as well.

The difference being, Haren and Bedard have two years left before they are eligible for free agency. Santana had one year remaining.

Since the Mets had to pay him $137.5 million on top of giving away four prospects, that lowered Santana's value below the Haren and Bedard asking price.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #5
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
This is a great move for the M's. They're in dire need of a Left handed Ace, last year they would have made the playoffs easily if they just had 1 more worthwhile arm in their rotation.

Plus our bullpen will be extremely powerful after this. Our Relievers are among tops in the league imo, they're just young.

P.S. Felix is a beast.

There's a sector of Mariners fans that cringe when Bill Bavasi makes a move, and dealing away prospects doesn't help their long-term well being with Oakland and Texas stockpiling them.

I like the move regardless. With the Rangers and A's packing it in this season, why not give the Angels a run for their money when there's less competition in the division. It's a brilliant move when you evaluate the positives and negatives.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

I'm slightly in favor of this move, as well. I hate giving up a potential core-player like Jones but adding Bedard is a huge move. Not only are we getting an ace-caliber pitcher, but we're ridding ourselves of yet another blackhole in the rotation. No Ho Ramirez. No Jeff Weaver.

Silva's no TOR but he's got a better chance of being average than those other two sucktards.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
I'm slightly in favor of this move, as well. I hate giving up a potential core-player like Jones but adding Bedard is a huge move. Not only are we getting an ace-caliber pitcher, but we're ridding ourselves of yet another blackhole in the rotation. No Ho Ramirez. No Jeff Weaver.

Silva's no TOR but he's got a better chance of being average than those other two sucktards.
The age of the veteran outfield is the tough aspect of surrendering Adam Jones. Are there Mariners people and fans that like Wladimir Balentien more? Do you think he has much of a chance to win a starting spot in right with Raul Ibanez and Brad Wilkerson at the corner OF spots?

Mariners rotation?

1. Bedard
2. Felix
3. Batista
4. Washburn
5. Silva
Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Some think that Wlad actually has as much offensive upside as Jones does, if not more. He's obviously not in Jones' ballpark in terms of the complete package, but he swings a good bat and he's progressed markedly from being a all-or-nothing, non-40 man prospect to being a more all-around hitter.

I doubt he has a chance to win a starting spot outright, but if he rakes in AAA he'll definitely be up for his offense because I don't think you can expect much from Ibanez (age) or Wilkerson (track record).

As far as the rotation, I think Felix stays as the ace...or at least goes on opening day. The last three spots are in flux IMO.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Check that...Bedard goes on opening day.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

It is debatable but off the top of my head you can say Bedard and Hernandez are the best one-two punch as far as pitching goes. I think if Pedro is healthy I'd put him and Santana above them. You can add Webb and Haren to the mix but I'd put them behind both duos.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote