The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #176
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Avs fighting to just get a shot on net manage to finally get one in on hasek and it's called a no goal by a clueless ref. un****** real.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #177
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default porked out of a point

Thanks mick!

DETROIT (AP) -The Detroit Red Wings finally got a lucky bounce.

Henrik Zetterberg's 30th goal broke a scoreless tie with 2:20 left and Dominik Hasek made 15 saves for his 80th career shutout to lift Detroit to a 2-0 win over the Colorado Avalanche on Friday night.

Kris Draper added an empty-netter with 13 seconds left for league-best Detroit, which won its sixth straight.

Peter Budaj stopped 34 shots for Colorado and there could have been many more. Red Wing players either misfired or the puck hopped over their sticks on prime scoring chances for almost the entire night.

Henrik Zetterberg and Jiri Hudler celebrate Zetterberg's goal, which broke a scoreless tie. (AP Photo/Jerry S. Mendoza)

"We knew we'd eventually score, even if we had to go to a shootout," Zetterberg said.

His goal came on he rebound attempted pass out in front as he came around the net. But the puck hit Budaj's stick and came back to Zetterberg, who fired it in.

"I think Homer (Tomas Holmstrom) was in front. So I just tried to throw the puck in front," he said. "I think it went off the goalie's stick. That's just what I was trying to do in that situation: Get the puck in front and get a rebound."

Despite giving up so many shots and scoring chances, the Avalanche didn't give the Red Wings much room.

Colorado is without three of its best offensive players: Captain Joe Sakic (hernia surgery), Ryan Smyth (ankle) and Paul Stastny (appendectomy). So they have no choice but to concentrate on defense.

"That was a very tough ending," Colorado coach Joel Quenneville said. "To come that close to getting something and have it get away on a lucky bounce, we spoiled a very special night by our goaltender."

Budaj said his team put in a lot of effort.

"Even though we only had 15 shots, I thought we worked hard," he said. "And I'm disappointed we didn't get into overtime."

It was the second time in less than a month that the Avalanche were shut out in Detroit. Hasek got that one as well, 1-0 on Jan. 8.

"That's something you'd expect in the first round of the playoffs," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "Both teams check, check, check. I thought Joel did a good job of managing his bench."
Andrew Brunette (15) tries to scoop the puck past Dominik Hasek in the first period. (AP Photo/Jerry S. Mendoza)

An apparent goal by the Avalanche's Milan Hejduk with 8 seconds left in the second period was waved off because of incidental contact with Hasek by Colorado defenseman Scott Hannan.

"I didn't know exactly what happened in front of the net, but I know he was in the crease and interfering with me," Hasek said. "So I knew it was a good call."

Colorado didn't have a shot until T.J. Hensick forced Hasek to make a save 11:20 into the game.

Detroit had a 14-3 shot advantage in first period. The Avalanche had only one shot in the second period and it didn't come until 9:28. Detroit had nine shots in the second period.

"There was not too much action, especially in the first and second period," Hasek said. "But the game was 0-0 ... I knew if I mae one mistake, we could lose the game."

Notes: Detroit D Niklas Kronwall missed the game because of a shoulder injury. ... Colorado G Jose Theodore didn't play because of back spasms. ... Detroit D Brett Lebda returned after sitting out a game with a sore wrist.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #178
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avalanche 6, Blues 4

ST. LOUIS (AP) -Missing three key offensive players, the Colorado Avalanche got some scoring from a pair of unlikely sources.

Rookie T.J. Hensick and Ben Guite had two goals each, leading the short-handed Avalanche to a 6-4 victory over the St. Louis Blues on Saturday night.

Jaroslav Hlinka and Tyler Arnason also scored and Wojtek Wolski had two assists for Colorado, which was playing without Joe Sakic, Paul Stastny and Ryan Smyth because of injuries.

Hensick's power play goal 1 minute into the third period, his second score of the game and third of the season and his career, stretched the lead to 4-2.

"It's a good feeling," Hensick said. "It's been awhile since I've scored a goal. Two good plays by two very good players and I reaped the benefits.

"It's good to help this team offensively. I think at some point in time as this learning process continues, I'll be able to help this team a little more offensively."

Colorado, which had lost three of its previous four games, is now five points ahead of the Blues in the Western Conference standings.

"Big. Huge," Avalanche coach Joel Quenneville said describing the game. "Last night (a 2-0 loss at Detroit) we were 2 minutes away from getting it to overtime. That was disappointing and a tough loss. I like how we rebounded."

Dan Hinote, Paul Kariya, Andy McDonald and Keith Tkachuk scored for St. Louis. Brad Boyes and David Backes had two assists apiece.

"We reviewed the goals with the guys after the game," Blues coach Andy Murray said. "(There were) some mistakes you can't make. You can't give up six goals in your building. It doesn't matter if you score four, you can't give up six goals. You can't win in this league like that."

A night after gaining his fourth shutout of the season in a 1-0 shootout win over Anaheim, Blues goalie Manny Legace stopped 18 shots.

Peter Budaj made 28 saves for Colorado.

"That's hockey. That's the way it is," Legace said. "You're not going to get an easier lineup than that playing against those guys. Everybody's hurt. Detroit gave up, what, 15 shots against them (Friday) night. And we're giving up empty-net goals. It's uncalled for. You're not going to get an easier lineup against those guys. They're only getting better now."

Guite deflected in Wolski's point shot through the pads of Blues goalie Manny Legace to give the Avalanche a 3-2 lead 10:01 into the second period, the third time in the game Colorado grabbed a one-goal advantage.

After Hensick's second goal, the Blues pulled to 4-3 on McDonald's 10th of the season at 6:24 of the third period, one-timing a pass from rookie David Perron.

Tkachuk nearly tied the game with 9:19 to play, but his deflection of Kariya's shot rang off the left goal post.

Arnason regained a two-goal lead for Colorado with his sixth of the season when he beat Legace with 8:44 to play.

Tkachuk's 16th of the season and 489th of his career again brought the Blues back to within one at 5-4 with 7:43 to play. However, Guite's empty-netter with 6 seconds left sealed Colorado's win.

"I don't think we're going to take the consolation prize for this game," Blues defenseman Eric Brewer said. "I think there's some things we need to shore up. Obviously, we had a few breakdowns and a few too many turnovers, but we did a lot of real good things."

Hensick gave the Avalanche a 1-0 lead when he tapped in a centering feed from Ian Laperriere for his second goal of the season and his career at 5:28 of the first period. It was Colorado's first shot of the game in a period which produced four goals by the two teams.

Hinote, a former member of the Avalanche, tied the game for the Blues 48 seconds later on a wraparound, sticking in the second attempt at the near post to make it 1-1. It was Hinote's fifth goal of the season and third against his former club.

Colorado regained the lead on Hlinka's sixth of the season at 13:42 of a tap-in attempt of Wolski's wrister on goal.

The Blues quickly tied the game again on Kariya's 13th of the season, a power-play goal at 14:34 after one-timing in a shot of Boyes' cross-ice backhand feed from the left circle.

Notes: Legace began the day 12-1-0 with a 1.85 goals-against-average and three shutouts in his career against Colorado. ... Sakic (hernia surgery), Stastny (appendectomy) and Smyth (ankle) are all on the injured reserve list. Also, Colorado was without G Jose Theodore, who missed the game with back spasms. ... Before the game, the Blues placed D Christian Backman on injured reserve after suffering a cracked bone in his left foot blocking a shot on Friday's victory over Anaheim. Backman is expected to miss one to two weeks.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #179
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Avs fighting to just get a shot on net manage to finally get one in on hasek and it's called a no goal by a clueless ref. un****** real.
indeed, once every blue moon, hasek's peter forsberg impersonation pays off. still, your boys were dominated all night long. props to budaj for standing on his head.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #180
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Talk about complete bull****. The Avs just got royally screwed. They simply need to do away with the goalie interference rule if they're not going to enforce it when the guy in nets gets stomped. I understand a guy can be in the crease without the puck nowadays, but you can't kamikaze the goalie. Budaj is not going to make that save when he's getting King Kong Bundy'd by the other team.

A bunch of mother ****ing cock sucking incompetent douche bags officiate in the NHL. How can you see the puck is loose, and not see the goalie getting nailed. Whoever the ref behind the net was can go impale himself on ****ing parking meter.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #181
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

And to top it off doan hit the puck in with his hand because his stick was broke in half (it was plain as day) on the review and they still called it a goal.That's 2 points or maybe 3 in 3 games we got porked out of.

Last edited by Bronx33; 02-05-2008 at 04:44 PM..
Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #182
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Talk about complete bull****. The Avs just got royally screwed. They simply need to do away with the goalie interference rule if they're not going to enforce it when the guy in nets gets stomped. I understand a guy can be in the crease without the puck nowadays, but you can't kamikaze the goalie. Budaj is not going to make that save when he's getting King Kong Bundy'd by the other team.

A bunch of mother ****ing cock sucking incompetent douche bags officiate in the NHL. How can you see the puck is loose, and not see the goalie getting nailed. Whoever the ref behind the net was can go impale himself on ****ing parking meter.
Hey, Thomas Holmstrom is all for it. Nobody gets hosed on more goalie interference calls than him. Of course, had it been the Wings getting the goal waved off on that identical play, you'd be applauding the ref's good judgment.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #183
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Hey, Thomas Holmstrom is all for it. Nobody gets hosed on more goalie interference calls than him. Of course, had it been the Wings getting the goal waved off on that identical play, you'd be applauding the ref's good judgment.
You don't know that. That's pure conjecture on your part. And **** Tomas Holmstrom!

Tay-o-door had another solid outing tonight. You can always tell when an athletic goalie like Jose is on his game...he's not flopping around like a spazz in the crease.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #184
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
You don't know that. That's pure conjecture on your part. And **** Tomas Holmstrom!

Tay-o-door had another solid outing tonight. You can always tell when an athletic goalie like Jose is on his game...he's not flopping around like a spazz in the crease.
Conjecture based upon 12 years of observing Avs fans, yes. C'mon, you know you'd love Homer and his big arse in the opposing goalie's face all game long.

Is Jose Three-or-Four gonna be moved at the deadline?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #185
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Conjecture based upon 12 years of observing Avs fans, yes. C'mon, you know you'd love Homer and his big arse in the opposing goalie's face all game long.

Is Jose Three-or-Four gonna be moved at the deadline?
Nonsense.

The Avs have their own creeper of the crease in the injured, but soon to return Ryan Smyth.

The Red Wings are running away with things in the west this year, so maybe you should find the Dead Things thread on this forum. Then again...the Avs have given your boys all they've wanted without their best players.

Enjoy the Red Wings' success thus far, and then go f yourself.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #186
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Class all the way, dude.

If you'll recall, the Wings were without their stars in those games as well. Captain Canada's a shell of his former self, but if you dig him, so be it. The Avs will give EVERYONE all they can handle, for sure. Will they win anything of consequence? Well, we both know that ain't happening. Coach Q will find a way to fail once again.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #187
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avalanche-Canucks Feb 9, 2008, 10:00 PM EST

TV Information

National TV:
CBC (HD)

Local Away:
ALT

Paul Stastny could not have been playing better for the Colorado Avalanche right before having his appendix removed last month.

The Avalanche expect to have their leading scorer back on the ice after missing nine games, when they visit the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday night.

Colorado (29-21-5) has been able to hold its own with Stastny out of the lineup, going 4-3-2 with him on an injured list that also includes stars Joe Sakic and Ryan Smyth.

The Avalanche are in the mix with Minnesota, Calgary and Vancouver (27-21-7) for first place in the crowded Northwest Division.

Stastny, who has 17 goals and 32 assists, had two goals and three assists in his last three games prior to undergoing an appendectomy. He had a goal and an assist in the Avalanche's 3-0 victory at Tampa Bay on Jan. 15 - his most recent game.

Stastny has two goals and nine assists in 11 career games versus Vancouver, which is 2-1-0 against the Avalanche this season.

While the Avalanche will certainly welcome back the second-year star, Colorado is 3-1-1 since losing two in a row, The Avalanche won 3-1 at San Jose on Wednesday.

Jose Theodore made 30 saves in his first game on the ice since missing three with back spasms. Theodore, who is 6-2-1 with a 2.05 goals-against average in his last eight games, didn't seem too rusty in his return.

"They came at me pretty hard, so it was a good test for my back," Theodore said. "It's hard to take those extra days off, but it was the smart thing to do. ... It's about finally playing the way I've always played in my career. When I was traded (from Montreal in March 2006), everybody knew I wasn't playing like I should. But with a lot of hard work, I'm getting to a level of being comfortable."

Theodore, however, has lost three of his last four decisions versus Vancouver, including a 2-1 overtime loss there on Nov. 9 in his only appearance versus the Canucks this season.

On Wednesday, Ben Guite, Jeff Finger and rookie T.J. Hensick each scored goals, while Brett Clark added two assists for Colorado, which has won five of its last six road games.

"We're moving the puck well, entering the zone with speed and making smart (plays)," said Hensick, who has five goals in his last three contests.

Vancouver, meanwhile, looks to build off a 2-1 win at Atlanta on Thursday. The victory snapped a streak of four straight losses by one-goal margins, and concluded a 1-1-2 road trip for the Canucks.

Daniel Sedin and Alex Burrows scored in the third period to rally the Canucks, who got 27 saves from Roberto Luongo.

"We really wanted to find a way to win tonight," Burrows said. "After that second period we got together and played a really strong third period."

Sedin, who's tied with twin brother Henrik for the team lead with 54 points, has two goals and two assists versus Colorado this season.

Luongo, who snapped a three-game losing streak Thursday, has been in goal for all three meetings against Colorado in 2007-08, compiling a 2.32 GAA versus the Avalanche.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #188
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Class all the way, dude.

If you'll recall, the Wings were without their stars in those games as well. Captain Canada's a shell of his former self, but if you dig him, so be it. The Avs will give EVERYONE all they can handle, for sure. Will they win anything of consequence? Well, we both know that ain't happening. Coach Q will find a way to fail once again.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Bambi.

Don't act like you're being misunderstood though. Read your own posts on this thread, and you will understand that you are not innocent...and you know it.

Also...with an act like yours...I'm pretty sure you're used to being told to go f yourself. So once again...you know.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #189
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avalanche 6, Canucks 2

Damn! i like the way out boys are scapin for points with all the injuries..

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -The Colorado Avalanche didn't let the absence of three top forwards stop them from taking advantage of an injury-riddle Vancouver Canucks defense.

Marek Svatos had two goals and an assist, and linemate Tyler Arnason added a goal and two assists, leading Colorado to a 6-2 win Saturday night.

Wojtek Wolski, the third member of the line, added three assists as the Avalanche traded pretty goals for gritty goals against a Canucks team missing four regular defensemen.

"When teams are missing guys on defense you have to test them early to see how they're feeling and we did that," said Arnason, who opened the scoring midway through the first and set up Svatos to make it 3-0 before the period ended. "We were getting to the net, they were letting us get in front, and they weren't covering behind the net and we capitalized early and just went from there."

Milan Hejduk also had two goals, Brett Clark scored one, and Jose Theodore made 23 saves as Colorado won for the fourth time in six games to stay within a point of Minnesota in the Northwest Division, four points ahead of Vancouver.

"We knew the importance of today's game," coach Joel Quenneville said. "We still have a lot of hockey left but certainly it was a big win."

It was just as big a loss for the Canucks, who failed to build on the momentum of a win in Atlanta on Thursday night - their first in regulation since Jan. 4.
Colorado Avalanche center Tyler Arnason, left, and Vancouver Canucks center Trevor Linden, right, battle for the puck on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2008, in Vancouver. (Photo courtesy of the Vancouver Canucks)

Henrik Sedin and Sami Salo scored power-play goals, and Roberto Luongo made 17 saves before being pulled as the Canucks, who have one win in their last six games and two in the last 11, fell to ninth place in the Western Conference.

Despite missing Joe Sakic, Ryan Smyth and Paul Stastny, the Avalanche jumped out to a 3-0 lead after the first period. They added two more 20 seconds apart late in the second, taking advantage of a Canucks team missing defensemen Willie Mitchell, Kevin Bieksa, Aaron Miller and Lukas Krajicek.

Vancouver actually buzzed Theodore in the opening minutes, but for all their puck possession in the Colorado end, the Canucks failed to generate a shot.

"Tonight we were out-executed and outworked, especially in the tough areas, in front of our net and in front of their net," Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said. "We had glorious opportunities in the first there, and they got to all the pucks."

At the other end, Arnason opened the scoring by driving to the net - between four stationary Canucks players - to tap in a rebound of Svatos' wraparound attempt at 9:10. Hejduk snuck between two Canucks in the slot to snap home Jaroslav Hlinka's pass from the behind the net just over 2 minutes later.

Svatos made it 3-0 with 2:55 left in the first, jamming in his second chance at Arnason's rebound after Luongo made the first four saves in a scramble.

"We talked before the game about how Colorado does a great job of going to the tough areas and getting pucks to the net and getting second and third opportunities," Vigneault said. "We talked about it, we addressed it, we told them how to deal with it, and obviously we didn't execute it on the ice."

Sedin, guilty of standing around on the first two goals, shoveled a power pay rebound past Theodore 8 minutes into the second period. However, Clark beat Luongo with a seeing-eye point shot on the power play with 3:19 left in the period, and Svatos added his second 20 seconds later, again driving the net, this time to knock in a pass from Arnason cutting hard in off the left wing.

"We're moving the puck very well," Svatos said of his line. "When we get the puck, we hold the puck a little longer. We don't just throw it away. They have great vision and always find me in front of the net. (Arnason) and (Wolski) are strong guys so it's hard to take the puck away from them and that's what they do, so I try to be in front of the net and it's working out lately."

Canucks backup goalie Curtis Sanford replaced Luongo to start the third period, and Salo blew a power-play point shot past Theodore just 1:22 in. Salo hit a post on another power play just over a minute later, but Hejduk rounded out the scoring with his second goal - on Colorado's first shot of the third - at 9:21.

Theodore, who returned from missing three games because of a back injury to beat San Jose on Wednesday, improved to 8-4-1 in 2008, posting a 1.86 goals-against average and .933 save-percentage in his last 12 starts coming into this game.

"He gives us confidence, Queneville said of his goalie. "He seems to be sharp right of the bat, challenging. He handles the puck well, which eliminates some of the forechecking pressure, and you just see his confidence.

Notes: Colorado C T.J Hensick extended his point streak to four games with an assist, but failed to add his five goals the previous three games. ... The Canucks called C Ryan Shannon from Manitoba of the AHL for the game. ... Despite flying home overnight Thursday following a win in Atlanta, the Canucks play again Sunday against Chicago. ... Stastny, the Avalanche leading scorer with 49 points, is practicing with the team and expected to return soon after having an emergency appendectomy on Jan. 18.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #190
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I hope Jose can keep this up..it's nice to see these young guys stepping up..it makes you wonder what the team will once Sakic, Smyth and Stastny are all healthy at the sametime. I'm hoping they don't send Hensick back down to the minors..that guy alone has given our PP a good spark..it's definitely going to be an interesting next 2 months.

BTW: anyone heard anything about Forsberg...i have center ice and they broad casted the game on hockey night in canada and were saying he's thinking the Avs, Vancouver or philly..anyone know anymore than that..we'd have the best offense in the league with him in the line up!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #191
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Class all the way, dude.

Yeah Q is the Norv Turner/Marty Schottenheimer rolled up into one of the NHL...
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #192
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I hope Jose can keep this up..it's nice to see these young guys stepping up..it makes you wonder what the team will once Sakic, Smyth and Stastny are all healthy at the sametime. I'm hoping they don't send Hensick back down to the minors..that guy alone has given our PP a good spark..it's definitely going to be an interesting next 2 months.

BTW: anyone heard anything about Forsberg...i have center ice and they broad casted the game on hockey night in canada and were saying he's thinking the Avs, Vancouver or philly..anyone know anymore than that..we'd have the best offense in the league with him in the line up!!

Well if the avs were to get forsberg guys like hensick will never been seen again up in the bigs.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #193
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Well if the avs were to get forsberg guys like hensick will never been seen again up in the bigs.
why do you say that..isn't he a free agent??
Old 02-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #194
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
why do you say that..isn't he a free agent??
Iam saying that because a roster spot would be taken up by forberg leaving none for the youngsters to get some icetime.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #195
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Sakic, Smyth return to ice at Avalanche practice

This could be perfect timing...

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -Colorado's top three forwards - captain Joe Sakic, Ryan Smyth and Paul Stastny - are back on the ice.

Sakic went through a light skate before practice Monday. He's recovering from hernia surgery.

Smyth is coming back from an ankle injury and Stastny from an appendectomy. Both participated in practice and took contact. For Smyth, it was his first ice time since he was injured on New Year's Eve.

Stastny, the team's leading scorer with 49 points, has been practicing and could return soon. He's listed as questionable for Tuesday night when the Avs play Anaheim at the Pepsi Center.

Coach Joel Quenneville said Smyth could return to action this week.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #196
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Ducks-Avalanche Feb 12, 2008, 9:30 PM EST

TV Information

National TV:
VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD)

The Anaheim Ducks might be happy to see their franchise-record nine-game road trip come to an end. They'll probably be thrilled to cap it off with a fifth consecutive win on Tuesday night against the Colorado Avalanche, whom they have not beaten on the road in more than five years.

The reigning Stanley Cup champion Ducks (31-22-7) opened the extended jaunt with four consecutive defeats that extended their losing streak to a season-high six games (0-5-1). They have since regrouped to win four in a row, including a 3-2 victory at NHL-leading Detroit on Sunday.

Anaheim hasn't won five consecutive road games since posting a team-record seven-game winning streak away from the Honda Center from Nov. 28-Dec. 13, 2006.

The Ducks will try to get closer to that mark by winning at the Pepsi Center for the first time since a 5-3 win on Jan. 9, 2003. They have dropped six games in a row there (0-4-2), with four defeats decided by one-goal margins.

Anaheim, though, beat the Avalanche 2-1 at home on Dec. 19 in the first of four season meetings.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere hasn't fared well in Denver, going 0-4-1 with a 2.55 goals-against average. However, he has been a big part of the Ducks' recent success with a 3-0-1 record, 0.74 GAA and .972 save percentage with two shutouts in his last four starts.

Scott Niedermayer, right, and the Ducks wrap up a nine-game road trip tonight in Denver. Anaheim has won four in a row but have not defeated the Avalanche on the road in over five years.

He made 27 saves Sunday and appeared to allow the tying goal with 40 seconds to go in the third period before the referee called it off due to incidental contact with the goaltender by the Red Wings' Tomas Holmstrom.

"It was a tough call. A lot of times they don't call it," Giguere said. "It took a lot of guts to make that call. On the replay you can see his skate is in the crease. And he was preventing me from doing what I've got to do."

The Ducks are also getting contributions from rookie Ryan Carter, who has scored three times in the last two games after failing to score in his first 27. The center assisted on a goal by Chris Pronger in the last matchup with Colorado (30-21-5).

He'll try to continue his strong play and help Anaheim end the trip, which included a stop at The White House last week, on a positive note. After facing the Avs, the Ducks begin a seven-game homestand on Friday against Pacific Division-leading Dallas.

Colorado is getting closer to being full strength after missing Joe Sakic, Ryan Smyth and Paul Stastny for considerable time.

The Avalanche hope to have at least Stastny, the team's leader with 49 points, back against Anaheim after he missed 10 games recovering from an appendectomy. The center is questionable, while Sakic (hernia surgery) and Smyth (fractured right ankle) are less likely to play.

Colorado was able to overcome those absences Saturday, winning 6-2 at Vancouver as the line of Marek Svatos, Tyler Arnason and Wojtek Wolski combined for three goals and six assists.

"We're moving the puck very well," said Svatos, who had two goals and an assist. "When we get the puck, we hold the puck a little longer. We don't just throw it away. They have great vision and always find me in front of the net. (Arnason) and (Wolski) are strong guys so it's hard to take the puck away from them and that's what they do, so I try to be in front of the net and it's working out lately."

Svatos, who has a team-high 24 goals, has been held pointless in the last four games against Anaheim.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #197
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Iam saying that because a roster spot would be taken up by forberg leaving none for the youngsters to get some icetime.
He'd be worth it imo..it's only one roster spot and we could send a guy like Mcloed back down..or one of the other 4th liners..nice to read that Smyth, Sakic and Stastny are practicing again..that's gonna be a huge boost to the team..hopefully we play with the same intensity!!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #198
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Ok. The Avs have been playing like **** recently, so here's hoping that they can get off the schnide against a team that's been just a pitiful tonight. The Wings have come back to the pack a bit...so now is the time to take it to 'em.

Statsny isn't playing yet again. The past three games the Avs have forgotten how to score.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #199
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

What a disgraceful performance through two periods by the Avs. If they don't want to play they shouldn't bother showing up to the rink. Injuries are not an excuse for a piss poor effort.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #200
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
What a disgraceful performance through two periods by the Avs. If they don't want to play they shouldn't bother showing up to the rink. Injuries are not an excuse for a piss poor effort.
I don't think its as much of us not giving any effort but other teams having more talent..its catching up to us..when your top 2 was 3 players aren't playing thats taking away quite a bit..i am getting sick of getting shutout by the wings everytime we play them...its like everytime we play them now its an automatic shutout..it'd help if we could win a damn face off or get a power play goal..sometimes i wonder if we even practice the way we play!!