The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #351
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
I really think what him and scott did was wrong as a team you wanna defend the title and repeat teemu and scott left the team hanging for half a season. I just thought it was kinda ***** up from a teammate standpoint.
i disagree. if i'm getzlaf or even a 4th liner, all i care about is winning when it counts and a fresh nieds and teemu give me that chance. as a wings fan, i'd be fine if lidstrom decided to take 3 months off and come back during crunch time, given the ice time he logs.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #352
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
I see the Pens copying the Flyers...
must be something about the state, i see the kings copying the flyers last year, lets see if your bad enough to even lose the draft lottery.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #353
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
must be something about the state, i see the kings copying the flyers last year, lets see if your bad enough to even lose the draft lottery.

Of course here is my favorite.

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #354
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Jodie Shelley traded to the sharks

Columbus dispatch

In the moments after a 4-2 loss to Phoenix, the Blue Jackets dressing room in Nationwide Arena went from sullen to shocked.

Left winger Jody Shelley, one of the most popular players in franchise history and part of the team's bedrock, was traded to the San Jose Sharks shortly after the game for a sixth-round pick in the 2009 entry draft.

"This is all I know in the NHL," Shelley said. "This is what I've been around. I've really gotten attached to this city, the fans, my teammates. It hasn't really hit me, but I'm sure it will when I get home tonight."

Word spread quickly, and Shelley could be seen loading the contents of his locker into a garbage bag.

"It's a shock," center Michael Peca said. "Jody was a great leader for us. There's a void there now. I didn't know him before I got here (in September). But I picked up on his spot in the room pretty quickly. I really appreciated his honesty. People like him are few and far between."

Coach Ken Hitchcock, calling Shelley a "great team guy," said the players will have a meeting this morning before practice to discuss the trade.

Shelley likely will fly to Calgary this morning. The Sharks play the Flames tonight.

"Jody's got the greatest quality going," Hitchcock said. "He was team first, and that's what endeared him to his teammates. He fought for them. He did everything within his ability to help us win.

"If he's not going to play on a regular basis, we have an obligation to give him that opportunity somewhere else. And given our situation on the left wing, we were having a hard time getting him in the lineup."

Shelley had played in only 31 of the Blue Jackets' 52 games this season. He was a healthy scratch last night for the seventh straight game.

"My situation was very real," Shelley said. "I wasn't playing."

In October, when Shelley was scratched eight times in 11 games, the Sharks phoned Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson. At the time, Howson -- with a dressing room full of young, unproven players -- was reluctant to move Shelley.

But Howson told Shelley and Hitchcock that if the Blue Jackets reached the point later in the season when Shelley wasn't playing, he'd likely pull the trigger.

"I know there's going to be a lot of disappointed players," Howson said. "He answered the bell every time. He's a big part of this team, a big part of this community. These are difficult decisions."

The Blue Jackets play the Sharks twice the rest of the season -- Feb. 8 in San Jose and Feb. 27 in Nationwide Arena. For many, it will be strange to see Shelley wearing a teal sweater with a Shark on the chest.

"It's going to take some getting used to," he said.

Shelley has the franchise record with 1,025 penalty minutes and 119 fighting majors. He played in 380 games, tied with defenseman Rostislav Klesla for second on the franchise list. In 2002-03, Shelley led the NHL with 249 penalty minutes.

The Blue Jackets signed him to a free-agent contract on Jan. 31, 2001. Two weeks later, they recalled him from minor-league Syracuse to play against the Pittsburgh Penguins and their tough guy, Krzysztof Oliwa, a former Blue Jacket.

Two years later, Shelley met his future wife, Mandy, a central Ohio girl. They live in Dublin but have a cabin retreat in Hocking Hills.

"I consider myself from Ohio," he said late night. "I'll be back this summer."

One of the NHL's most feared fighters had to struggle to fight back tears.

"This organization should be so proud of what they're doing," Shelley said. "The fans should be so proud of this team and everything that's going on here. It's so classy, and I'm so proud to be able to say I was a Blue Jacket; I really am."
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #355
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default More trade rumors

Some highly-skilled forwards could be available for the right price, teams are clamouring for a new Swedish star and the Sens are in the middle of several rumours.

Hot n' Not, Call-Ups, Farm Report, Junior Report, Varsity Report and the best in quotes, Chirping, in this week's edition of TSN.ca's Backchecking.

AROUND THE RINKS
- The Los Angeles Daily News reports that, with the Kings likely to do some housecleaning, Mike Cammalleri is one player who could be had via trade.

- The Arlington Heights Daily Herald tosses out the name of Blackhawks RW Martin Havlat as potential trade bait, as the skilled winger hasn't been getting along with head coach Denis Savard. Of course, the Chicago Tribune secured a quote from Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon, who said that he had not been talking trade about Havlat at all.
Related Info

- According to the Detroit News the Maple Leafs, Red Wings and Ducks are among those trying to sign Swedish unrestricted free-agent forward Fabian Brunnstrom. The 22 year-old has 32 points in 41 games with Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League and will be available in March or early April.

- According to the Columbus Dispatch, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson shot down a rumour that the Jackets would send C Sergei Fedorov to the Senators for D Joe Corvo. Of course, with Fedorov suffering a concussion, any deal for the veteran centre will be on the back-burner.

- Senators C Antoine Vermette is getting his name thrown into more trade rumours as well, while the Sens seek a bona fide top-six forward. Senators G Ray Emery's latest indiscretions have again brought up the possibility that he could be shipped out -- GM Bryan Murray acknowledged that he attempted to trade Emery -- if the Sens are simply looking to get rid of a headache.

- Newsday wonders about the Islanders direction heading towards the deadline, and tosses out the names of Miroslav Satan, Marc-Andre Bergeron and Jeff Tambellini as possible bait.

- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch notes that, if the Blues fall back in the Western Conference the playoff race, they could look to deal one or both of Barret Jackman and Bryce Salvador, veteran defenceman that are heading for unrestricted free agency.

- The New York Daily News notes that the Rangers may still be seeking a European centre for Jaromir Jagr, wondering about trading for David Vyborny or Mats Sundin or signing free agent Peter Forsberg.

- While acknowledging it's not what Lightning coach John Tortorella wants to hear, the Tampa Tribune says that it's time for the Bolts to look at dealing pending free agents in order to start the rebuildign process. Dan Boyle, Vaclav Prospal and Chris Gratton are the most marketable of Tampa's upcoming free agents.

- The Edmonton Journal sees Joni Pitkanen as a key to building the Oilers, either via trade before the deadline, or by another team putting forth an offer sheet for the restricted free agent in the summer. The paper also sees Dwayne Rolson, Dick Tarnstrom and Steve Staios as Oilers that might draw interest.

- According to the Columbus Dispatch, the Flyers are going to be seeking a number one goaltender, as Martin Biron and Antero Niittymaki haven't established a firm hold on the job.

- The Calgary Sun has the Hurricanes talking to the Kings about D Tom Preissing.

- According to the Buffalo News, the Stars may have interest in Oilers C Jarret Stoll.

- The Toronto Star suggests that the Maple Leafs might find interest from the Red Wings and Sharks if they were to offer LW Nik Antropov, while Hal Gill and Chad Kiler might be the kind of depth players that would also interest a contender.

- Maple Leafs D Tomas Kaberle tells the Toronto Star that he won't waive his no-trade clause, even if he's asked to by the team.

- The Denver Post suggests that it's time for the Avalanche to deal D Karlis Skrastins, who would have value to teams needing defensive depth.

- According to the Calgary Sun, the Panthers are shopping the likes of Branislav Mezei and Radek Dvorak, while noting that Olli Jokinen could still be acquired in trade, despite protests from Florida's officials.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #356
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post

AROUND THE RINKS
- The Los Angeles Daily News reports that, with the Kings likely to do some housecleaning, Mike Cammalleri is one player who could be had via trade.
Surprising to be honest. I heard that the Kings will hold on to him until the summer and then trade him before the draft.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #357
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

wow Cammalleri would be a nice W to play with Crosby
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #358
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Thank Goodness, Floppa has scratched us off his list...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....igger_man.html

Quote:
Forsberg says no
The Red Wings made a pitch to sign free-agent center Peter Forsberg, but he let them know he is not interested in playing for Detroit. The longtime Colorado Avalanche star apparently would feel somewhat like a traitor if he joined his former club's one-time arch-rival.

Forsberg has been skating and working out in his native Sweden and recently gave his agent the go-ahead to begin negotiating with a select group of NHL teams, which doesn't include the Red Wings.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #359
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Thank Goodness, Floppa has scratched us off his list...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....igger_man.html
i honestly hope the flyers are the next team to be scratched off the list, dont get me wrong hes a good palyer and all but he only plays 1 of 3 games, and i really dont want him messing up the way things are, what the flyers need is a good puck moving d man.

in other news dion phaneuf resigns with the flames for 6 years 6.5 mil per year

phaneuf resigns for 6 years
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #360
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
wow Cammalleri would be a nice W to play with Crosby
Yeah but your GM is not going to give up what we want in return. Prospects and Picks.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #361
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Yeah but your GM is not going to give up what we want in return. Prospects and Picks.
I'd glady give you espisito and some draft picks.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #362
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Foppa sweepstakes update

No Flames No Wings and No Preds...

The Nashville Predators are officially out of the running, as the Tennessean reported Wednesday that general manager David Poile said that Forsberg had passed on a deal with the team.

Forsberg finished the season with Nashville last year after being acquired in a trade with the Philadelphia Flyers.

The Dallas Stars are also out of the running. Co-general manager Les Jackson said Tuesday that he spoke with Forsberg's representatives Friday.

"They called back (on Saturday) and said he was going to pursue other options," Jackson told The Dallas Morning News. "I think we made a good effort, but now we move on."
Related Info

Reports out of Detroit say Forsberg has also turned down the Red Wings while the San Jose Sharks, Pittsburgh Penguins and Calgary Flames have also been told that he won't be playing for their teams.

The Philadelphia Flyers and Colorado Avalanche are frontrunners for Forsberg's services, while the Chicago Blackhawks, Anaheim Ducks, Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks remain in the hunt.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #363
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Philly or Colorado...I'd sure hate to see him in Anaheim.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #364
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Philly or Colorado...I'd sure hate to see him in Anaheim.

Yep i agree about the quacks and he would surely get the crap beat out of him in philly seems the best way to negate him is too puch him around (hes got a temper) but if he wants another run at a cup philly is the way to go i just don't see where they need him at. I personally don't want him in colorado hes just at the point in his career where hes way to fragile (would we even get out monies worth) before hes injured again.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #365
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
I'd glady give you espisito and some draft picks.
Espo is overrated and looking like a bust. Draft picks could work...but I don't know if Shero is ready to get bent over by Dean Lombardi.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #366
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Well you know staal, malkin, and crosby aren't going anywhere
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #367
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Well you know staal, malkin, and crosby aren't going anywhere
Kris Letang and a first for Cammy...Honestly would like to get Letang from you guys more than Staal. Malkin and Crosby are pipe dreams I know...

We'll probably end up giving you Modry for a 3rd rounder or something.

Letang to LA...do it Deano!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #368
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I think Brooks & Malone will go before letang.

Quote:
Kris Letang and a first for Cammy...Honestly would like to get Letang from you guys more than Staal. Malkin and Crosby are pipe dreams I know...

We'll probably end up giving you Modry for a 3rd rounder or something.

Letang to LA...do it Deano!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #369
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
I think Brooks & Malone will go before letang.
You're right, I don't see Shero as the type of GM to make gigantic moves anyway. I like him for that though (Jack Johnson is a King thanks in part to Shero).

Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #370
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
You're right, I don't see Shero as the type of GM to make gigantic moves anyway. I like him for that though (Jack Johnson is a King thanks in part to Shero).

Well, he has his 'orders' that he can't spend a ton, until the new arena opens up. In all honestly, I like having Staal. I think he's going to be a good player.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #371
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default flyer/Rangers brawl

Damn!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #372
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Zednik is ok after getting the skate to the neck, hope he has a good recovery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1xQM1LTGK0
Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #373
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

i jsut saw that zednik thing on another board, thats some scary ****, nobody wants to see that happen to anybody, and the poor people in buffalo have seen it happen twice.

zednik might have saved his life by skating to the bench instead of just staying down on the ice, and apparently hes stable and should be fine.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 AM   #374
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
i jsut saw that zednik thing on another board, thats some scary ****, nobody wants to see that happen to anybody, and the poor people in buffalo have seen it happen twice.

zednik might have saved his life by skating to the bench instead of just staying down on the ice, and apparently hes stable and should be fine.
Yeah I know the other guy, Clint Malarchuck. Went to some hockey clinic in Vegas and Clint was a guest speaker and talked about his experience. It was bone-chilling just hearing him describe it.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #375
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Glad hes ok props to the medical staff this really could have end badly at the rate he was losing blood.