The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Tailgate Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default Guacamole

As a service to my fellow Maners, I'm going to tell you how to make the absolute best quacamole for your SB party.

First, how do you find a good avocado? Squeeze your hand into a fist and then poke that pad of muscle below your thumb. That's what a good avocado feels like. And only use Hass avocados (the crinkly black ones) not those big, watery tasteless pieces of crap they have in Florida. Remove the branch nub. Then you gently slice them in half, use your knife to lightly set the blade into the seed, yank it out and drop it in the trash. Then scoop out the beautifully green meat into a bowl using a spoon. Add fresh lemon juice and salt to taste and mash your avocados with a potato masher. Hell, at this point you can smear a little on a piece of bread. Good eats. Set aside.

Now roast a poblano. Don't know what a poblano is, or how to roast it?

That's a poblano. They're about the size of a bell pepper. Just set it on the burner, right into the flame and when one side blackens, turn it. Keep turning it over and around until it's all nice and black. (Nothing smells better than roasting peppers! ) When it's nice and black all over, drop it in a plastic bag and leave it to steam for about ten minutes. Then peel off the blackened skin, cut around the top, discard that seed pouch, cut the pepper in half and scrape out all the seeds. Then dice the pepper. Taste it. Some poblanos can be pretty spicy, some are not. Only use as much as will give a nice smoky undertone to however many avocados you're using.

Now finely chop as much jalapeno as you like and add it in.

I also like to use some Ortegas, which are canned, roasted and peeled Anaheim peppers (very mild). Only buy whole Ortegas as the pre-diced ones have too many seeds in them. Use as much as you like, they're mild.

Finely dice some bermuda (purple) onion. Taste it. Some onion can be real hot, depending on the season. Let that determine how much you use. I don't use a whole lot, maybe a half a teaspoon per avocado for a mild onion. Less if it's hot.

Next, roast your cumin seeds. WTF? Sprinkle a teaspoon of whole cumin seeds into a hot pan and shake them around until the scent starts to rise and the seeds slightly brown. Now dump them in you spice grinder, or mortar, and grind them up. What a smell! Roasted, ground cumin! Awesome. I like a lot of cumin in my guacamole. Use your own discretion.

Next, we need a little of the herb. I only use fresh cilantro and fresh oregano. Mexican oregano is best. Use the oregano sparingly as it can really impart some flavor. Chop it finely. Same with cilantro. Personally, I like a lot of cilantro. Wash it first. Often, cilantro will be covered with a very fine sand. You don't want to be chewing on it.

Sometimes, if I have some of my salsa de jitomate del norte left over (ie. salsa) I'll add a little of that, finely chopped. But you can live without the tomatoey flavor if you prefer.

Now, check your guacamole for lemonyness, saltiness, and spicyness and alter as needed.

Put it in the fridge till the time comes. I like to sprinkle a little finely chopped cilantro on top.

Things you'll need:
Avocados
Fresh lemon juice
Poblano chili
Jalapeno
One small can of Ortegas
Red onion
Whole cumin seed
Fresh oregano
Fresh cilantro
Salt

Enjoy the Super Bowl!