The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #301
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Winter Classic on NBC delivers

NEW YORK -- The AMP Energy NHL Winter Classic, broadcast New Year's Day on NBC, earned a 2.6 overnight rating and a 5 share (1-4:45 p.m. ET), the best overnight NHL regular season rating in more than a decade (Feb. 3, 1996 on Fox, six-game regional, 3.0/7). The Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the Buffalo Sabres 2-1 in the first U.S. outdoor game in NHL history. Twenty-year-old Sidney Crosby, the NHL's reigning MVP, scored the game-winning goal in a shootout.

The overnight rating also surpasses Wayne Gretzky's last game, which was broadcast on Fox (April 18, 1999, 2.5/6).

Top Ten Metered Markets:
1. Buffalo 38.2/58
2. Pittsburgh 17.7/30
3. Minneapolis 5.1/11
4. Denver 3.7/7
T5. Providence 3.5/7
T5. Las Vegas 3.5/6
7. St. Louis 3.3/5
8. Boston 3.2/6
9. Sacramento 2.9/6
T10. Richmond 2.8/5
T10. Hartford 2.8/5

"The best regular season rating in more than a decade is a result of the tremendous efforts of the NHL and we're delighted by the success of this historic event," said Ken Schanzer, President, NBC Sports. "Sam Flood, his production team and our broadcasters also deserve credit for conveying the great atmosphere in Buffalo and producing a memorable broadcast. The Winter Classic exposed hockey to a larger audience and definitely made new fans of the game."

Eddie Olczyk, NBC's NHL game analyst said: "This was one of the best events I've ever been a part of as a player, coach or broadcaster. It truly was a memorable experience and a great day for the sport of hockey."

NBC NHL GAME OF THE WEEK AND FLEX SCHEDULING:
The NBC NHL "Game of the Week" drops the puck on Sunday, Jan. 20 with an Original Six matchup between the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers. This season for the first time, the NHL will offer flexible scheduling for NBC's nine regular season dates (see below schedule).

NBC will be able to select from up to four games on Sunday afternoons. Thirteen days prior to the scheduled games (on Mondays), NBC, in conjunction with the NHL, will select one of those games as the "Game of the Week" to be broadcast during NBC's exclusive Sunday afternoon window. The other games will remain available to the teams' regional carrier but will not be televised during NBC's broadcast window.

-----------------------------------

2008 NHL ON NBC REGULAR SEASON FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE
(All Games Announced 13 Days Prior)

Sunday, Jan. 20, 1:30 p.m. ET
Boston @ New York Rangers

Sunday, Feb. 3, 2 p.m. ET
New York Rangers @ Montreal

Sunday, Feb. 10, 3:30 p.m. ET
Anaheim @ Detroit or
Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh or
New York Rangers @ Washington

Sunday, Feb. 17, 3:30 p.m. ET
Detroit @ Dallas or
Pittsburgh @ Buffalo or
San Jose @ New York Rangers or
Colorado @ Chicago

Sunday, March 2, 12:30 p.m. ET
Detroit @ Buffalo or
Philadelphia @ New York Rangers or
Atlanta @ Pittsburgh

Sunday, March 9, 12:30 p.m. ET
Pittsburgh @ Washington or
Boston @ New York Rangers or
Nashville @ Detroit

Sunday, March 16, Noon ET
Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh or
Detroit @ Columbus or
Boston @ Washington

Sunday, March 30, 12:30 p.m. ET
New York Rangers @ Pittsburgh or
Nashville @ Detroit or
Boston @ Buffalo

Sunday, April 6, 12:30 p.m. ET
Chicago @ Detroit or
New York Rangers @ New Jersey or
Pittsburgh @ Philadelphia
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #302
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Bubble Hockey Shots
Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #303
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default NHL tabs All-Star starters

What a difference a year makes.

While last season’s All-Star Game was billed as the League’s blinding future meshing with its phenomenal present, it’s obvious by the final tallies of the XM/NHL All-Star Fan Balloting, Presented by 2K Sports, that this season is all about now.

Only one of the 12 starters announced today for the NHL All-Star Game in Atlanta on Jan. 27 is making his first All-Star Game appearance. Last season six of the 12 starters made their inaugural All-Star appearance in Dallas.

The only first-timer this season is Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov. Detroit left wing Henrik Zetterberg also is scheduled to play in his first All-Star Game, but he was selected as a reserve for last season’s contest before pulling out with an injury.

Markov, though, is a true first-time All-Star after receiving 316,136 votes, giving him the most among Eastern Conference defensemen and the second-most in the conference behind Pittsburgh sensation Sidney Crosby, who led the League with 507,274 votes.

“Andrei has been unbelievable for us this year,” Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau told the team’s Web site. “I don’t know whether it was because he signed his long-term contract this summer, but he arrived at training camp with a different attitude, ready to take on more responsibility. He’s more talkative and seems a lot more comfortable with the guys. I’m happy for him. He certainly deserves the recognition.”

It’s the second straight season a Montreal defenseman has been voted in as a starter. Sheldon Souray, now in Edmonton, was the fans’ choice last season.

Markov, who leads Montreal defensemen with 10 goals and 29 points, will be joined on the Eastern Conference’s starting blue line by Zdeno Chara, Boston’s powerful 6-foot-9, 255-pound captain, who will be making his third appearance, but first as a starter.

Chara, an All-Star reserve in 2003 and 2007, has 26 points this season and is tied for fourth in the NHL with 130 hits. Buffalo’s Brian Campbell finished third among Eastern Conference defenseman in the fan voting.

The trio up front for the Eastern Conference now has a combined 10 All-Star appearances. However, Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson and Tampa Bay center Vincent Lecavalier each are first-time starters.

Alfredsson was selected as a reserve three straight times from 1996-98, and again in 2004. Lecavalier, who is on pace to be the Art Ross Trophy winner with 62 points through 42 games, was a reserve in 2003 and again last season.

"Being voted a starter is more of a recognition, no question about it," Alfredsson said. "I don't know if it means more to me because the All-Star Game weekend is a lot of fun, no matter how you get into it. I've always enjoyed being around the best players in the League, talking about what they're doing, what they're wearing, what sticks they're using. But I've very humbled by being there as a starter."
“My first time I was young and nervous being with all the older guys,” said Lecavalier, “but now to be voted on there is kind of special. I never thought I’d go in like that. It’ll be a lot of fun.”

Crosby, the reigning Hart and Art Ross Trophy winner, is making his second All-Star Game appearance and second start in just his third NHL season. Crosby, who leads the League with 40 assists, joins Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Paul Coffey and Kevin Stevens as Penguins selected to start multiple times.

Philadelphia’s Daniel Briere was fourth among Eastern Conference forwards in the fan voting.

A familiar face will be between the Eastern Conference’s pipes, too, as future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur will be making his 10th All-Star appearance. Brodeur topped the New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist by about 45,000 votes to make his fourth All-Star start.

Brodeur, who has 21 wins, four shutouts and a 2.17 goals-against average for the Devils this season, also is making his fourth consecutive trip to the All-Star Game.

On the other end of the ice, another familiar face will stand in the Western Conference’s crease as Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo is scheduled to make his third straight All-Star appearance and his second straight start.

Luongo, who has 19 wins and is tied for second in the NHL with a 1.97 GAA, was a reserve in 2004. He beat out the Columbus Blue Jackets’ Pascal Leclaire by about 83,000 votes.

Talking about All-Star regulars, none of this year’s 12 starters comes close to rivaling Detroit defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom in starts.
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, who has appeared in every All-Star Game since 1998, will make his eighth start after leading the Western Conference with 477,787 votes.

The Swedish blueliner, recently called the best European in the history of the NHL by The Hockey News, will make his eighth start after leading the Western Conference with 477,787 votes, which was second in the League behind Crosby.

Lidstrom, who has appeared in every All-Star Game since 1998, also will tie Steve Yzerman and Ted Lindsay for third place on the Red Wings’ list of most All-Star Game appearances, with 10. Gordie Howe has an NHL record 22 appearances, followed by Alex Delvecchio’s 13. Lidstrom leads all NHL defensemen with 40 points.

Lidstrom’s partner will be Calgary Flames youngster Dion Phaneuf, who was voted in as a starter last season, as well. Phaneuf, labeled as one of the League’s ferocious hitters in the mold of Larry Robinson and Scott Stevens, has 29 points. His 85 penalty minutes is third among the League’s defensemen.

Phaneuf topped Anaheim’s Chris Pronger by more than 100,000 votes to earn his second straight start.

The Western Conference certainly has the firepower up front to match Crosby, Alfredsson and Lecavalier.

Zetterberg, who led all Western Conference forwards with 326,244 votes, is joined by Detroit teammate Pavel Datsyuk and Calgary captain Jarome Iginla. Combined, the trio has 74 goals and 92 assists for 166 points.

“I’m proud to go and I’m glad that the fans appreciate what I do and it’s going to be a few exciting days down there,” Zetterberg told the Red Wings’ Web site.

“The first time I didn’t speak English well and it wasn’t that comfortable,” added Datsyuk. “I have more experience and speak more English now. I’m happy. It’s more comfortable for me and I think we’ll have a good time in Atlanta.”

The Eastern Conference’s top line has 70 goals and 104 assists for 174 points.

Iginla, who was a reserve in three straight All-Star Games from 2002-04, leads the rush with 60 points. Zetterberg has 26 goals and 28 assists, and Datsyuk, an All-Star reserve in 2004, is third in the NHL with 36 assists and a plus-25 rating.

The Los Angeles Kings’ Mike Cammalleri was fourth among Western Conference forwards in the fan voting.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #304
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Remember 1990

What a steal brodeur was at number 20

Last edited by Bronx33; 01-09-2008 at 09:52 PM..
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #305
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Very Cool
Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #306
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default First class russian elite league brawl

Brawl
Old 01-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #307
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Sweet!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #308
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default McCarty would play for Avs

DETROIT — Now that he's attempting a comeback to the NHL, the question to Darren McCarty on Tuesday night was: If the Avalanche was the only team that came calling, would he play for his former archenemy?

"Hey, beggars can't be choosers," said McCarty, on hand for the Avs game with the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena. "I've learned never to say never. It's something I would definitely consider, for sure."

McCarty, 35, has signed to play for the Flint (Mich.) Generals of the International Hockey League and hopes to latch on with an NHL team down the stretch. He will play his first game for the Generals soon, and thinks he can still contribute at the NHL level once he gets into top shape.

"I don't want to go out the way I did last year (with Calgary)," McCarty said. "I think I can still play. I'm happy to be getting a chance with Flint. I just love the game. Just doing what I still love, for any team, is good."

Count McCarty in as someone in favor of an outdoor game some day between the Avs and Red Wings — with perhaps an old-timers game beforehand. Playing against Claude Lemieux, Mike Keane and Patrick Roy again is something he wouldn't want to miss.

"Maybe I could play in both games still," he said, "but the old-timers game might take a lot longer."

McCarty admitted playing for the Avalanche any time in his past would have been unthinkable.

"Then again, I wouldn't have had to ask to play with them then," he said.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #309
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

selanne and forsberg rumor

According to sources today Forsberg is closer than he has been in a long time and he is also leaning towards the Flyers as the team he will return to. It is all up to Peter. Although the Flyers are the closest to the cap in the NHL (less than $250,000). However, according to my sources the Flyers have figured out a way to make enough space for Foppa.

Vancouver and Calgary are also extremely interested in Forsberg and have made attempts to get details on what it may or may not take.

As far as a timeline goes, it has been widely believed that Forsberg would try to practice with the Swedish team Modo first and then make a decision as to his health. However, Chuck Gormley of the Courier Post reported yesterday that Forsberg's agent and the Flyers have talked contract. What makes this interesting is that this same agent went on XM a few weeks back and said that NO talks would take place until Peter's health was no longer an issue and he was sure that he could return.

On the Selanne front, word is that he is VERY close to becoming a Duck and that the Ducks as well have a plan in place to get Teemu back in the line-up. From what I can gather if Forsberg is a 4-6 week person then Teemu is 1-3 weeks.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #310
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Joseph returns to NHL ranks, signs with Flames

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 14, 2008, 1:35 PM ET

It took a little longer than he may have hoped, but Curtis Joseph is heading back to the NHL.

Sources told ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek that the veteran goaltender has signed a deal with the Calgary Flames. Details surrounding the deal were not disclosed.

Joseph became a free agent this summer after the Phoenix Coyotes decided not to re-sign him. Joseph continued to work out in the Toronto area before Joseph helped Team Canada win the Spengler Cup in Switzerland last month.

TSN reported Sunday that Joseph narrowed his list of teams to the Maple Leafs, Flames, Rangers and Sharks, but San Jose was no longer interested, according to The San Jose Mercury News.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #311
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Since Dec 18th (about one month) Ducks have the best record in the NHL and that about coincides with Scott Neidenmeyer coming back to the Ducks. Goals are up and the gap is closing on the Pacific Division. No one is catching the Red Wings (even if they are 0 and 3 the last 3). Avs better step it up because they are bubbling about now for the 8th spot. Hockey is getting close to crunch time once the month is up. Well, maybe not quite crunch time but Hockey is at its best when baseball and football arent in season.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #312
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
selanne and forsberg rumor

According to sources today Forsberg is closer than he has been in a long time and he is also leaning towards the Flyers as the team he will return to. It is all up to Peter. Although the Flyers are the closest to the cap in the NHL (less than $250,000). However, according to my sources the Flyers have figured out a way to make enough space for Foppa.

Vancouver and Calgary are also extremely interested in Forsberg and have made attempts to get details on what it may or may not take.

As far as a timeline goes, it has been widely believed that Forsberg would try to practice with the Swedish team Modo first and then make a decision as to his health. However, Chuck Gormley of the Courier Post reported yesterday that Forsberg's agent and the Flyers have talked contract. What makes this interesting is that this same agent went on XM a few weeks back and said that NO talks would take place until Peter's health was no longer an issue and he was sure that he could return.

On the Selanne front, word is that he is VERY close to becoming a Duck and that the Ducks as well have a plan in place to get Teemu back in the line-up. From what I can gather if Forsberg is a 4-6 week person then Teemu is 1-3 weeks.
I don't understand why the Avs don't make a move especially with Sakic and Smyth out...his playmaking ability would help tremendously especially on the powerplay..makes no sense!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #313
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Crosby jersey is up to 25k

Link
Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #314
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

1987 world jrs epic bench clearing brawl

Clip

If you believe the governing body of international hockey, the most talked-about game in the history of the World Junior Championship never really happened.

Canada was leading Russia 4-2 in the second period on Jan. 4, 1987, when a bench-clearing brawl erupted in a rink in Piestany, Czechoslovakia.

The "Punch-Out in Piestany," as it is often referred to, was so chaotic, so incomprehensible in an international event, that the International Ice Hockey Federation doesn't mention it in its 100-year annals.

"It wasn't the best game in hockey history, or even tournament history," Canadian author Gare Joyce writes in When The Lights Went Out. "And those were far from the best teams those two nations ever sent to the world juniors. Fact is, though, these two teams played a game that was unlike any other."

At 13:53 of the second period, Canada's Everett Sanipass and Russia's Sergei Shestirikov started fighting in the corner. Soon all 12 players on the ice -- five on a side, plus the goaltenders -- were locked up and throwing punches.

Then, 90 seconds in, the benches cleared.

"This wasn't a hockey fight," said Blue Jackets center Sergei Fedorov, who was 18 years old, playing for Russia. "This was barroom fighting, right? This was different."

Sticks and gloves and helmets were strewn about the ice as if at a yard sale. The fighting was so barbaric and so long that the three-man officiating crew, unable to control the situation, left the ice. On it went, for nearly 20 minutes.

Eventually, the lights were shut off in the arena. When they came back on, some players were still fighting, some resumed fighting and others took note of how the scene had changed in the darkness.

"The Czechoslovakia military was surrounding the rink," said Ottawa Senators defenseman Luke Richardson, a former Blue Jackets player who, at 17, was one of the youngest members of Canada's team. "Some of the soldiers were on the ice. And they had rifles … drawn."

This year's world junior tournament, 21 years later, is in Pardubice, Czech Republic, about a four-hour drive from Piestany, in what is now Slovakia. The bronze- and gold-medal games are today.

None of the more than 200 players taking part in this year's tournament -- including Blue Jackets prospects Stefan Legein and Steve Mason (Canada) and Jakub Voracek (Czech Republic) -- was born in 1987.

But they have heard the stories and watched the video, and a slew of Canadian fans who traveled to Pardubice for this year's tournament were planning off-day trips to Piestany.

They're making a pilgrimage to a rink where history was made -- but only if you know where to look.
The build-up

In 1987, the world junior championships were a round-robin tournament, not followed by the medal rounds like today.

The country with the best record won the gold medal. Ties were decided by goal margin.

Canada went into a game Jan. 4 against the Russians needing to win -- and win by five goals -- to edge Finland for the gold medal.

Russia was playing for a different reason. After losing to Finland, Sweden, Czechoslovakia and the United States, the Russians took the ice against Canada just trying to save face.

"They had a poor showing," Richardson said. "Russians are always very sneaky with stick work and playing dirty. They get under your skin quietly.

"Well, they were having a bad tournament, and they were losing again to us, and that didn't sit well. They were doing all kinds of dirty stuff … elbows, sticks up high, cheap little shots after the whistle. It was a nasty game, long before it got really ugly."

Russia had an entirely different perspective.

"So many fouls, and nothing came from the referee," Russian player Pavel Shestirikov said. "It was not like hockey that I had played. I didn't do (the dirty play), but when play stopped I looked at the referee (Norway's Hans Ronning) to see if he had a whistle. I thought after the first shift (of the game) that something bad could happen. Every shift, the bad thing was getting closer."

At the end of the first period, there was a stare down between the two teams. Early in the second, a skirmish broke out after almost every whistle.

"You could feel it building," Richardson said. "The longer it went, you knew the worse it was going to be. Looking back, I'm surprised it took until (13:53 of) the second period to really get going."

Sanipass and Shestirikov got it started in the corner. With official Julian Gorski between them, Sanipass threw a heavy left over Gorski's shoulder and nailed Shestirikov flush in the mush, putting him flat on his back.

A few feet away, Canada's Mike Keane and Russia's Valeri Zelepukin traded blows, Keane's like piston fire, Zelepukin's slow but heavy because he had an injured left shoulder.

Meanwhile, Russia's Pavel Kostichkin paired up with Canada's Theo Fleury, the first of four, maybe five fights for Fleury.

"It was the dirtiest game I ever played in," Fleury told Joyce for his book. For Fleury, that's saying a lot.

As the fighting raged, three Soviet players jumped off the bench. Fedorov was either the second or the third player.

"(Zelepukin) had a dislocated shoulder," Fedorov said. "He was hurt and he was still getting punched. Even a boxer couldn't sustain that kind of physical pressure, and the referee wasn't doing anything about it.

"Russian player jumped first, yes. But that's why. And when everybody's going, you have to go, too. You have to stick up for a teammate."

A half-second after the Russian bench began to empty, the Canadians followed. A wild scene turned scary.
A free-for-all

All 20 players for each side were on the ice -- a two-on-one here, a three-on-one there, goaltenders flopping like polar bears.

"It would settle down for a couple of seconds, and then it would start back up again," Richardson said. "I was standing by the bench and it was sort of calming down, and one guy hoofs me right (between the legs). A ruckus broke out again. It was a state of emergency."

Fedorov had no fights on his resume. He was a product of the Russian program that taught skating, skill, toughness and checking … but not fighting.

"I started out right next to the Canadian bench and ended up all the way down by the goal line," Fedorov said. "I didn't know how to fight, but I didn't get hurt. That was my first brawl."

A YouTube clip shows about six minutes of the brawl, the highlights (or, maybe, the lowlights). The officials left the ice after five or six minutes. The lights were turned off after about 12 or 13 minutes.

"It was like walking into a dark room," Richardson said. "It takes a few seconds for your eyes to adjust, and then you're fine. Guys kept fighting, so that didn't really work. It was memorable, though."

Fedorov doesn't recall seeing any military, and the video doesn't show any, either.

But Richardson has vivid memories.

"We were 17-, 18-, 19-year-old kids," Richardson said. "That was an eye-opener."
The fallout

With heavy arms, tired legs and a slew of injuries, both clubs were sent to their dressing rooms.

It was believed that the time remaining in the second period, 6:07, would be tacked onto the third period when play resumed. But it never resumed.

An emergency meeting called by the IIHF resulted in a 7-1 vote to disqualify both clubs from the tournament. The lone vote against was cast by Team Canada manager Dennis McDonald.

"Our coach (Bert Templeton) came in and told us we were disqualified," Richardson said. "No reception later that night or anything. We were told to pack our bags, get on the bus and get out of the country."

The path from the dressing room to the bus was lined with Czechoslovakian military.

"We drove across the border to Austria, we slept on our hockey bags in the airport and we flew home the next morning," said Richardson, who suffered a scratched cornea and wore an eye patch on the way home. "It was a big deal. A quick growing-up experience."

Canada got no medals, and they faced heavy criticism back home. Russia wasn't in line for a medal, but a new reputation for toughness was forged.

Three Canadians -- Steve Nemeth, Jimmy Waite and Pierre Turgeon -- didn't fight. Nemeth acted as a peace-maker, pulling players apart, he said, knowing that under international rules, fighting was strongly discouraged.

Waite explained that he was the only healthy goaltender on the club, that if he was thrown out, the consequences would be devastating.

Turgeon had to be told by Templeton to leave the bench and join the fray. He spent the rest of his career trying to shake a reputation as a coward.

To this day, the IIHF doesn't recognize the game. Finland won gold, Czechoslovakia silver and Sweden bronze.

The Punch Out in Piestany never took place -- not officially.

"I'm asked about it all the time," Richardson said. "People in Canada won't let you forget it.

"It's not something you could ever forget anyway."

aportzline@dispatch.com

"You could feel it building. The longer it went, you knew the worse it was going to be."
Luke Richardson
Former Blue Jackets defenseman who played for the Canadian team at age 17

"This wasn't a hockey fight. This was barroom fighting, right? This was different."
Sergei Fedorov
Blue Jackets center who was an 18-year-old on the Russian junior team

Last edited by Bronx33; 01-17-2008 at 12:15 AM..
Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #315
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default A little insite into prongers departure

Posted Jan 16th 2008 9:17PM by Greg Wyshynski
Filed under: General NHL, Oilers, Ducks, NHL Gossip, NHL Media Watch
There was a nasty bit of the old telephone game this afternoon on message boards like Calgary Puck and the HF Boards regarding Chris Pronger's interview on Jim Rome's radio show today.

Fans who quickly listened to the live interview came away thinking that the Anaheim defenseman -- whose bitter departure from Edmonton is the stuff of hockey lore -- had accused Oilers fans of "breaking" into his house, stealing furniture that included his child's crib, and then burning it.

After hearing a recording of the interview, I can tell you there was a major miscommunication between what was said and what was reported. So where would listeners get the impression that Oilers fans broke into Pronger's house and went Devil's Night on his baby bed? You can thank Jim Rome for that. Here are Pronger's comments, following Rome's question about Edmonton fans' feelings towards him:

PRONGER: "You know what? There's nothing I can do about it now. It's happened. I think they obviously need to turn the page a little bit. I won't be going back there to play for their team. Having said that, you know, it keeps it interesting. It's another team that can boo me and it's a way for fans to stay entertained. As I said earlier in the program, at the end of the day you're trying to entertain the fans and if that's what it takes on any given night, it's just probably one building in maybe 20 now that I get booed in."

ROME: Does it erase the good times that you have there, and leave a bad taste in your mouth because of it?

PRONGER: "Um, yeah, there's obviously a few things that didn't sit well with me. For instance, taking the furniture that I had in my house and burning it and having a 'Burn Chris Pronger's Furniture Day', that didn't sit well with me very much. They burned my kid's crib, and things like that. So when you hear stories like that, it doesn't sit well. But having said that, you know, I've turned the page. It'd be nice to see them turn the page, but I doubt that's going to happen any time soon."

The interview ended after Pronger's statement about Edmonton, at which time Rome continued with a short rant about the bombshell accusation (emphasis mine, dramatic speech pattern Rome's):

"You hear something like that and ... it ended acrimoniously, and the fans were upset and he left. But then to hear him say 'hey listen, it is what it is and I can't really change it and I can't fix it, but' ... certain things didn't sit well. To go into my house and get my furniture out and to burn it and to burn my kid's crib -- that's messed up. No matter how badly you think he wronged you or the team or whatever happened, to burn a guy's child's crib ... that's messed up. Were you so wronged by what a guy did to the local team, in your mind, that you'd go and find a guy's crib and burn it? Does it matter that much?"

Pronger said "taking my furniture." Rome amplified that into "go into my house and get my furniture out." Big, huge, misleading difference, isn't it? But where did this story about a bonfire of the vanities (and cribs) come from anyway? Who took the furniture? Who roasted it?

This isn't the first time Pronger has made this accusation, having previously floated the notion in a 2006 interview with the Edmonton Journal:

"I knew I'd be Public Enemy No. 1 ... but I'm pissed off by all the rumors and innuendo surrounding my leaving," Pronger told The Edmonton Journal. "I've heard all the nasty stuff, about all my girlfriends ... that I've got more kids than I started with. I must have six kids out there.

"It started off with I slept with so-and-so, and I'm having kids, then it moved to my wife sleeping with some of my teammates. I was supposed to be having a kid with a reporter, then she said, 'I don't know what they're talking about.' Then it went from story to story. Some people even took my rental furniture from my house and burned it."

The good people at Oil Fans had their say on that 2006 interview. The CBC's Elliotte Friedman made a reference to the furniture burning in a 2006 column. Sean McCormick of Sportsnet mentioned furniture burning in a 2006 blog entry, and the comments referred to burning rental furniture.

David Staples of the Edmonton Journal's Cult of Hockey blog has his own transcript of the Rome interview and offered additional insight into where this story may have originated.

"Unless he is certain of the truth of this particular slander, Pronger should be careful about making such allegagtions if he truly wants to put this behind him. On the Hockey's Future board, there is talk that an unnamed Edmonton radio station did indeed bat around this stupid idea of having a "Burn Chris's Furniture Day," but there's been no confirmation that this ever happened."

Indeed, there seems to be a notion from some fans that The Bear 100.3-FM, an Edmonton rock station, has some association with the stunt. But I couldn't find any citation or documentation of this actually happening -- and this might be one radio stunt the Edmonton media would have covered. More from Staples:

Mr. Rome, there is no proof right now of any crib being burned, so you can rest easy.

And Mr. Pronger, your leaving will always rankle so long as you don't clear the air about why you left and instead stoke the fires around the bad feelings surrounding your departure.

From suspensions in the postseason to the lingering animosity of his former fans to his status as one of the League's top defensemen, Pronger certainly remains polarizing.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #316
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I don't understand why the Avs don't make a move especially with Sakic and Smyth out...his playmaking ability would help tremendously especially on the powerplay..makes no sense!!
he's fragile and a shell of his former self in terms of speed and strength. the return on investment would be low. avs are smart to stay away. the thing that worries me is the rumours of floppa going to motown. *shudders*
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #317
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Nothing new there Bronx, Pronger is a piece of crap.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #318
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
he's fragile and a shell of his former self in terms of speed and strength. the return on investment would be low. avs are smart to stay away. the thing that worries me is the rumours of floppa going to motown. *shudders*
Hes still a really good player..hes been sitting out for awhile now, he'd give us a good chance of making the playoffs and maybe finals...maybe sign him till the season ends and then see what happens...the avs need to do something before the trade deadline or were not gonna make it far in the playoffs..if we make it!

PS: how can the wings afford all these guys??
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #319
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default 45,000.00 jersey

yep sids winter classic game worn jersey sold for 45k

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app

The one game-worn Crosby jersey, when first offered at auction on NHL.com two weeks ago, had a starting bid of $ 5000.00, and immediately shot up to over $ 20,000.00 within a few hours. By closing time of the 14-day auction on January 17, the winning bid was exactly $ 45,000.00
Old 01-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #320
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Good freaking god

Rick Nash
Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #321
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Old 01-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #322
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

RUMOURS DU JOUR: Talk is finally starting to heat up with the trade deadline five weeks away. League sources say GMs are targeting the Kings, Lightning and Leafs to see if they're ready to start unloading players. The word is Kings GM Dean Lombardi has been dangling W Ladislav Nagy and Ds Brad Stuart, Jaroslav Modry and Rob Blake to see what teams are willing to offer. For Blake to waive his no-trade clause, he'll only accept a deal to a contender. Sources say Lombardi wants a player, a prospect and a No. 1 pick for Blake. As for the Bolts, GM Jay Feaster has maintained he's going to stay the course, but there's a lot of talk that if he does nothing, he'll walk the plank with coach John Tortorella. There are whispers Feaster is thinking about asking W Martin St. Louis to waive his no-trade clause so Tampa can send him to Dallas for G Marty Turco. Toronto, meanwhile, is trying to move G Andrew Raycroft, but there isn't a lot of interest ... The Flames are inching closer to re-signing D Dion Phaneuf. Talks between the Flames and Phaneuf's agent, Don Meehan, are continuing. When a deal is struck, it's expected to be between six and 10 years ... It's believed Carolina GM Jim Rutherford is pondering more changes after sending C Craig Adams to Chicago last week. While the Hurricanes led the Thrashers by one point for top spot in the Southeast Division heading into play yesterday, that's the difference between being third and 10th in the Eastern Conference. It's believed the Hurricanes would like Ottawa D Joe Corvo or W Antoine Vermette, but Rutherford hasn't been willing to move W Erik Cole. The Hurricanes want Vermette to help improve their penalty-killing unit. Giving up Cole would be a tough sell, but talk won't go away that Rutherford could also move him to Columbus for W David Vyborny ... The Blackhawks are shopping G Nikolai Khabibulin hard. The club has stepped up its efforts to move Khabibulin, who has one year left at $6.75 million ... Two league executives told the Sun Media that the Thrashers are shopping W Marian Hossa ... Don't believe the denials, the Flames are trying to move W Alex Tanguay.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #323
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Downie unfazed about facing Senators

Link

Steve Downie will be front and centre as the Philadelphia Flyers host the Ottawa Senators on Sunday night.

Downie will be facing the Senators for the first time since he levelled Ottawa forward Dean McAmmond in a pre-season game. Downie incurred a 20-game suspension for the illegal hit, delaying his NHL regular season debut until December.

Steve Downie of the Flyers says Sunday's contest against Ottawa is 'just another game.'Steve Downie of the Flyers says Sunday's contest against Ottawa is 'just another game.'
(Jonathan Hayward/ Canadian Press)

The Newmarket, Ont., native said he didn't think the Ottawa matchup warranted any special attention.

"It's just another game and we need the two points," he said. "I'm not worried at all. It's behind me and I'm leaving it there."

Downie has been a presence in most of the 10 games he has played, scoring three goals and four assists, including in Philadelphia's 5-3 win over the New York Islanders on Saturday.

Despite the stern message from the NHL for the McAmmond hit, Downie has found himself in the spotlight for two other incidents. The rookie hit Jason Blake with a punch while the Toronto Maple Leafs player was restrained by an official and he decked Florida's Rostislav Olesz with a hit just after the whistle, resulting in hand surgery for the Panther defenceman.
Continue Article

Ottawa enforcer Brian McGrattan said in September Downie would eventually pay for his hit on McAmmond but has since tempered his comments.

"If [Downie] is there and he has the puck, I'm going to hit him. I'm not going to jump him from behind and cause a huge melee," McGrattan told the Ottawa Sun. "I don't think we really need that."

Scott Hartnell scored three power-play goals and added an assist in Philadelphia's win on Saturday, with Mike Richards adding a goal and an assist.

Philadelphia (25-15-5) has moved past Montreal as the league's most potent power play. The Flyers have won three straight games, and are 9-1-1 in their last 11.

Ottawa (30-13-4) has lost three of the last four since Dany Heatley went down with a separated shoulder.

Captain Daniel Alfredsson is questionable for Sunday's game due to a hip flexor injury.

Without Heatley and Alfredsson, the Senators failed to hit the mark with 25 shots on Tampa Bay's Johan Holmqvist in Saturday night's home game.

Ray Emery made 24 saves in a losing effort for Ottawa.

Rookie centre Cody Bass was inserted into the lineup on Saturday but played just over two minutes.

Sunday's game is the first of three straight on the road, continuing Tuesday against Florida.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #324
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

I am headed to the game shortly and alot of people are making a big deal about this. I don't see this game getting out of control. They met about a month ago in Ottawa and nothing happened. I know Downie was still serving his swuspension but I would have though Neil or someone would have taken a run at a Flyers player. Nothing happened. If the Sens aren't gonna take retribution at home, I doubt they do it in Philly. I could be wrong but I just see a hard fought game between 2 of the better teams in the east.
It should be fun!
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #325
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

total domination, thats the only way to describe that, cote dropped the gloves with mcgratton, who seperated his shoulder or something in the fight and didnt make it back into the game, en route to a 6-1 pasting of the sens.

opening fight

john stevens showed incredible class in putting tough guy riley cote out there on the powerplay in the last period with the score 5-1, no matter as they still got a goal.