The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #176
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

you have got to be kidding me ? we just kicked the snot out of you guys AGAIN, and now your in here shooting your mouth off ? weve played you 3 times and outscored you 16 -6 and your in here shooting your mouth off ?

your lucky i wasnt the coach or i would sent eager straight down into your goalie just like this

oh and for the record the penguins not 3 games over 500,

ill dummy it down for ya so you can understand

GP WINS LOSSES + OVERTIME LOSSES
30 15 13 2

those 2 overtime losses, are still LOSSES, your a 500 team, nothing more, get over it.

go flyers !!!
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #177
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Who the he11 are you even talking too?
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #178
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Yeah, condoning play like that is why the flyers had all the suspension problems early in the year.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #179
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

and the pattern continues, play a good game, take a game off, play a good game, this has got to stop.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #180
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
Yeah, condoning play like that is why the flyers had all the suspension problems early in the year.

Interesting take. I'd like to hear where you stand on the waste of a hockey uniform (George Laraque) going directly after Biron's legs late in the game. Obviously he won't be suspended but I wanted to see if you are willing to admit that it was nothing less then intent to injure and went straight at Biron's legs.
No that i think about it, you always defended the cheapest player ever in the NHL, Darius Kasperitis so I doubt you will see anything with the Gorrilla on skates' actions.

I can deal with hard hits up high and an elbow thrown at my player. It's totally gutless when you try to take out a guys knee.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #181
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Chad, OUTSTANDING news bro.......

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed center Mike Richards to a 12-year contract extension, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren. Richards’ new contract will start next season and run through the 2019-2020 season.

"Mike has become an integral part of our core group and we are extremely happy to have him under contract long term,” said Holmgren in making the announcement. “We believe that he will continue to grow as a player and as a leader."

Mike Richards agreed to a 12-year contract extension with the Flyers on Thursday. (Getty Images)

“I am very happy to be a part of the organization for hopefully the rest of my career,” said Richards. “It's just exciting to be a part of something that has such a great tradition and history as the Philadelphia Flyers."

Richards, 22, has recorded 14 goals and 20 assists for 34 points and 30 penalty minutes in 28 games for the Flyers this season. An alternate captain for the Flyers, Richards currently leads the team in goals (14), assists (20), points (34, tied for 17th in the NHL), shorthanded goals (3, tied for second in the NHL) and shots (80). He is first on the team in average time on ice among forwards (21:06) and is tied for first on the team in game-winning goals (3). He has set a new career high for goals in a season and has tied his career high for points in a season.

In 166 career regular season games over the last three NHL seasons, Richards has registered 35 goals and 65 assists for 100 points and 147 penalty minutes. He was drafted by the Flyers in the first round (24th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Prior to joining the Flyers, Richards appeared in 14 playoff games for the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms. He recorded seven goals and eight assists for 15 points and 28 penalty minutes as the Phantoms won the 2005 Calder Cup Championship.

In four seasons with the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League (2001-02 through 2004-05), Richards registered 115 goals and 177 assists for 292 points and 308 penalty minutes in 233 regular season games. He served as Kitchener’s captain for two seasons and was named to the Memorial Cup All-Star Team as the Rangers won the Memorial Cup in 2003.

The 5’11”, 195-pound center was named to the OHL Second All-Star Team following the 2004-05 season and was the captain of Canadian National Team at 2005 IIHF World Junior Championships, recording five points (1G,4A) in six games as Canada won the gold medal.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #182
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Interesting take. I'd like to hear where you stand on the waste of a hockey uniform (George Laraque) going directly after Biron's legs late in the game. Obviously he won't be suspended but I wanted to see if you are willing to admit that it was nothing less then intent to injure and went straight at Biron's legs.
No that i think about it, you always defended the cheapest player ever in the NHL, Darius Kasperitis so I doubt you will see anything with the Gorrilla on skates' actions.

I can deal with hard hits up high and an elbow thrown at my player. It's totally gutless when you try to take out a guys knee.

You mean like supporting intentional injuring people by high sticking incidents? Hmmm......

Geee.....

I can't see what laraque's intentions were - usually if he has a problem - he just kicks the **** out of you or someone else on your bench. He hasn't had a history of "intent to injure" - and the only time i really support kasper on was knocking lindress into next week - in which that was a clean hit. Lindress didn't have his head up, again.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #183
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-K_DSQUN9M

Stick on stick, yet, Cindy insists on making himself look like an ass!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #184
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
You mean like supporting intentional injuring people by high sticking incidents? Hmmm......

Geee.....

I can't see what laraque's intentions were - usually if he has a problem - he just kicks the **** out of you or someone else on your bench. He hasn't had a history of "intent to injure" - and the only time i really support kasper on was knocking lindress into next week - in which that was a clean hit. Lindress didn't have his head up, again.
You didn't see the game did you?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #185
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:

A) Can you be more specific? I don't remember any flyer getting suspended for "intentional" high sticking. The only one remotely close would have been Jesse Boulerice. hoever, the Flyers did what should have been done which is cut him.

B) When did I support an intentional high stick?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #186
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
You didn't see the game did you?
Via Tivo - i was busy with a 23 year old nurse -
Old 12-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #187
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Via Tivo - i was busy with a 23 year old nurse -
Atta boy Josh! My man, Pots and Pans!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #188
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Chad, OUTSTANDING news bro.......

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed center Mike Richards to a 12-year contract extension, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren. Richards’ new contract will start next season and run through the 2019-2020 season.

"Mike has become an integral part of our core group and we are extremely happy to have him under contract long term,” said Holmgren in making the announcement. “We believe that he will continue to grow as a player and as a leader."

Mike Richards agreed to a 12-year contract extension with the Flyers on Thursday. (Getty Images)

“I am very happy to be a part of the organization for hopefully the rest of my career,” said Richards. “It's just exciting to be a part of something that has such a great tradition and history as the Philadelphia Flyers."

Richards, 22, has recorded 14 goals and 20 assists for 34 points and 30 penalty minutes in 28 games for the Flyers this season. An alternate captain for the Flyers, Richards currently leads the team in goals (14), assists (20), points (34, tied for 17th in the NHL), shorthanded goals (3, tied for second in the NHL) and shots (80). He is first on the team in average time on ice among forwards (21:06) and is tied for first on the team in game-winning goals (3). He has set a new career high for goals in a season and has tied his career high for points in a season.

In 166 career regular season games over the last three NHL seasons, Richards has registered 35 goals and 65 assists for 100 points and 147 penalty minutes. He was drafted by the Flyers in the first round (24th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Prior to joining the Flyers, Richards appeared in 14 playoff games for the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms. He recorded seven goals and eight assists for 15 points and 28 penalty minutes as the Phantoms won the 2005 Calder Cup Championship.

In four seasons with the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League (2001-02 through 2004-05), Richards registered 115 goals and 177 assists for 292 points and 308 penalty minutes in 233 regular season games. He served as Kitchener’s captain for two seasons and was named to the Memorial Cup All-Star Team as the Rangers won the Memorial Cup in 2003.

The 5’11”, 195-pound center was named to the OHL Second All-Star Team following the 2004-05 season and was the captain of Canadian National Team at 2005 IIHF World Junior Championships, recording five points (1G,4A) in six games as Canada won the gold medal.

Alot can go wrong in 12 years so basically it's a lifetime contract i would also say they probably should have waited a bit to see if the kid does put up big numbers. (no backin out now) good luck.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #189
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Going back to the pitt game

Therrien accuses Philadelphia coach of padding score; two hat tricks end 4-game win streak

I don't know if this was posted or not but found this info on a budding rivalry...

PHILADELPHIA -- The game was over, but -- those 156 minutes' worth of penalties that had been assessed over the course of the evening aside -- the hostilities were just beginning.

First, Philadelphia coach John Stevens accused the Penguins of being totally undisciplined after they received 81 penalty minutes in the third period of the Flyers' 8-2 victory at the Wachovia Center last night.

When his Penguins counterpart, Michel Therrien, was informed of Stevens' charge, he launched a caustic retort, pointing out that the Flyers had dispatched their No. 1 power play while holding a five-goal lead in the third period.

And when Therrien's postgame session with reporters ended, Flyers knuckle-dragger Ben Eager (0 points, 60 penalty minutes), whom Therrien passed in a corridor outside the Penguins' locker room, said to him, "You're a joke."

Therrien offered a two-word comeback, only the second half of which -- "you" -- is suitable for public consumption.

Consider the rivalry re-ignited. Not that it had been particularly dormant before last evening.

"Everyone knows there's one here," Penguins center Sidney Crosby said. "But it seems like it's escalated each game."

The antics during and after the game largely overshadowed hat tricks by Flyers forwards R.J. Umberger and Joffrey Lupul, the first time two Philadelphia players scored three goals each in a game since 1985.

The loss cost the Penguins a shot at just the second 4-0 road trip in franchise history and ended their four-game winning streak. And while it was one of their most lopsided losses in a while, they weren't making an issue of the margin of defeat.

"We had a good road trip," said defenseman Ryan Whitney, who was involved in his first NHL fight. "Obviously, it didn't end the way we wanted it to."

The Flyers scored on three of 13 power-play chances, and spent much of the final period with the extra man. That led to Stevens' comments and the broadside Therrien fired back.

"Are we talking about the same team that has had five guys suspended this year?" Therrien said. "Is that the same team? It's a lack of respect, what [Stevens] did tonight.

"At 7-2, you don't send your best power play on the ice. Even [Flyers center] Daniel Briere didn't want to go on the ice. It's a lack of respect. ... You never put yourself in a position to show a lack of respect for the other team. This is exactly what he did tonight."

Asked if he thought Stevens tried to humiliate the Penguins, Therrien said, "Big time."

The game did not attract a capacity crowd -- quite a few rows near the top of the arena were empty -- but there was enough of a crowd to launch several vulgar chants at Crosby during the third period, at least one with the musical accompaniment of the Wachovia Center organist.

Penguins left winger Ryan Malone and Philadelphia defenseman Jason Smith ratcheted up the emotion with a spirited exchange of punches 20 seconds after the opening faceoff, and Lupul, who had gone 11 games without a goal, made it 1-0 at 1:11 and struck again at 3:44.

The Penguins countered with power-play goals by Whitney (12:39) and Petr Sykora (14:28) and were even at the intermission.

"We didn't even play our best and we were tied, so we were feeling good," Whitney said.

That changed quickly, though, as Philadelphia took control of the game with two goals by Umberger during a two-minute span in the second period. Philadelphia's Mike Knuble then eliminated any uncertainty about the outcome when he knocked a rebound behind Penguins goaltender Dany Sabourin during a power play with 9.9 seconds left in the period.

Ty Conklin, recalled from the Penguins' minor-league team in Wilkes-Barre after goalie Marc-Andre Fleury injured an ankle Thursday in Calgary, replaced Sabourin for the third period and gave up goals to Lupul, Braydon Coburn and Umberger to close out the scoring.

"You have to scratch the second half of the game," Crosby said. "It was just a mess."

One the Penguins can't dwell on, with Ottawa coming to Mellon Arena at 7:38 p.m. tomorrow.

"The next time we play [Philadelphia], it will be fresh in our minds," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "But the most important thing for the team is to erase it from our minds as quickly as possible. Don't let it carry over to Thursday."
Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #190
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Interesting poll
Old 12-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #191
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Alot can go wrong in 12 years so basically it's a lifetime contract i would also say they probably should have waited a bit to see if the kid does put up big numbers. (no backin out now) good luck.

Richards is by far the best all around player on the Flyers. I love that they locked him up long term. In fact, they got him really cheap. The Flyers did very well in this deal. Richards did in a way too. he never has to worry about job security again.

I love this deal. I'll take the 12 year deal. If he flops (there is no idication of that) so be it. It's not like he is getting 10 million per year.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:08 AM   #192
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Therrien accuses Philadelphia coach of padding score; two hat tricks end 4-game win streak

I don't know if this was posted or not but found this info on a budding rivalry...

PHILADELPHIA -- The game was over, but -- those 156 minutes' worth of penalties that had been assessed over the course of the evening aside -- the hostilities were just beginning.

First, Philadelphia coach John Stevens accused the Penguins of being totally undisciplined after they received 81 penalty minutes in the third period of the Flyers' 8-2 victory at the Wachovia Center last night.

When his Penguins counterpart, Michel Therrien, was informed of Stevens' charge, he launched a caustic retort, pointing out that the Flyers had dispatched their No. 1 power play while holding a five-goal lead in the third period.

And when Therrien's postgame session with reporters ended, Flyers knuckle-dragger Ben Eager (0 points, 60 penalty minutes), whom Therrien passed in a corridor outside the Penguins' locker room, said to him, "You're a joke."

Therrien offered a two-word comeback, only the second half of which -- "you" -- is suitable for public consumption.

Consider the rivalry re-ignited. Not that it had been particularly dormant before last evening.

"Everyone knows there's one here," Penguins center Sidney Crosby said. "But it seems like it's escalated each game."

The antics during and after the game largely overshadowed hat tricks by Flyers forwards R.J. Umberger and Joffrey Lupul, the first time two Philadelphia players scored three goals each in a game since 1985.

The loss cost the Penguins a shot at just the second 4-0 road trip in franchise history and ended their four-game winning streak. And while it was one of their most lopsided losses in a while, they weren't making an issue of the margin of defeat.

"We had a good road trip," said defenseman Ryan Whitney, who was involved in his first NHL fight. "Obviously, it didn't end the way we wanted it to."

The Flyers scored on three of 13 power-play chances, and spent much of the final period with the extra man. That led to Stevens' comments and the broadside Therrien fired back.

"Are we talking about the same team that has had five guys suspended this year?" Therrien said. "Is that the same team? It's a lack of respect, what [Stevens] did tonight.

"At 7-2, you don't send your best power play on the ice. Even [Flyers center] Daniel Briere didn't want to go on the ice. It's a lack of respect. ... You never put yourself in a position to show a lack of respect for the other team. This is exactly what he did tonight."

Asked if he thought Stevens tried to humiliate the Penguins, Therrien said, "Big time."

The game did not attract a capacity crowd -- quite a few rows near the top of the arena were empty -- but there was enough of a crowd to launch several vulgar chants at Crosby during the third period, at least one with the musical accompaniment of the Wachovia Center organist.

Penguins left winger Ryan Malone and Philadelphia defenseman Jason Smith ratcheted up the emotion with a spirited exchange of punches 20 seconds after the opening faceoff, and Lupul, who had gone 11 games without a goal, made it 1-0 at 1:11 and struck again at 3:44.

The Penguins countered with power-play goals by Whitney (12:39) and Petr Sykora (14:28) and were even at the intermission.

"We didn't even play our best and we were tied, so we were feeling good," Whitney said.

That changed quickly, though, as Philadelphia took control of the game with two goals by Umberger during a two-minute span in the second period. Philadelphia's Mike Knuble then eliminated any uncertainty about the outcome when he knocked a rebound behind Penguins goaltender Dany Sabourin during a power play with 9.9 seconds left in the period.

Ty Conklin, recalled from the Penguins' minor-league team in Wilkes-Barre after goalie Marc-Andre Fleury injured an ankle Thursday in Calgary, replaced Sabourin for the third period and gave up goals to Lupul, Braydon Coburn and Umberger to close out the scoring.

"You have to scratch the second half of the game," Crosby said. "It was just a mess."

One the Penguins can't dwell on, with Ottawa coming to Mellon Arena at 7:38 p.m. tomorrow.

"The next time we play [Philadelphia], it will be fresh in our minds," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "But the most important thing for the team is to erase it from our minds as quickly as possible. Don't let it carry over to Thursday."

Question: Is there anyone in the Pens organization that doesn't cry? How embarrassing can you get?

Cindy is the ring leader but Therrian is right behind him (the reporter who wrote that laughable article is running a close third).

This isn't football, basketball or baseball where you can put your bench players out in garbage time. You have to run through your lines in Hockey. If you are gonna take 6 straight incredibly stupid penalties in a row, how can the Flyers NOT have their top PP unit out there at some point? They also had a ton of guys out there during the PP that would never see a PP normally (Kukkennen, Tolpeko, Potulny, Jim Dowd). Therrian is a focking tool. He was crying on the bench looking over at Stevens during the game too. What an embarrassment to the NHL this organization is.
Your an embarassment Pittsburgh Penguins.

Oh yeah, BTW..... The Flyers do NOT view you as a rival. You are beneath us. Rangers, Devils, Isles are our top 3 rivals. I would put Buffalo, Toronto and Boston above the Pens. If it makes them feel important that they think they are our rivals, so be it. I won't ran on their party. I wouldn't want to make them cry!

PU55IES!

Last edited by phillybroncosnut; 12-15-2007 at 12:11 AM..
Old 12-15-2007, 12:12 AM   #193
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Bronx, do you have a link from that article?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #194
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

heres the link pbn
Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #195
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Richards is by far the best all around player on the Flyers. I love that they locked him up long term. In fact, they got him really cheap. The Flyers did very well in this deal. Richards did in a way too. he never has to worry about job security again.

I love this deal. I'll take the 12 year deal. If he flops (there is no idication of that) so be it. It's not like he is getting 10 million per year.
yeah he is, and he is finally turning into what he was supposed to be, But i have to agree with bronx on this one, i think its too long too soon, with too much unproven. Its not just one good year as he sayd cuz he was putting up these kinds of numbers the last half of last year , but still, not even 1 full complete season and hes gets a contract like that.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #196
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Bronx, do you have a link from that article?

Crap i forgot to post it i do believe it was pittsburgh paper though (ill look)

got it...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07346/840983-61.stm

Last edited by Bronx33; 12-15-2007 at 04:28 PM..
Old 12-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #197
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Flyers' Upshall upsets LaRose

Link

Luke DeCock, Staff Writer
PHILADELPHIA - Perhaps it's a good thing the Carolina Hurricanes won't see the Philadelphia Flyers again this season.

After the Hurricanes won the shootout for a 6-5 win Saturday after 65 minutes of rough-and-tumble hockey, Carolina forward Chad LaRose stood in the hallway between the two dressing rooms looking for Flyers forward Scottie Upshall.

LaRose emerged from the Carolina dressing room furious with Upshall for "dirty" and "personal" things he said on the ice.

"I even put someone else's shoes on so I can kick him in the face," LaRose said.

Hurricanes defenseman Niclas Wallin and video coach Chris Huffine retrieved LaRose from the hallway and LaRose declined to comment afterward. He was escorted past the Flyers dressing room to the Carolina bus by another team staffer.

The game was marked by a number of scrums, including one in the third that saw Tim Gleason hit with an extra minor and Philadelphia's Jason Smith go unpenalized, putting the Flyers on a power play they would use to tie the score 5-5.

"If he bumped him, we got bumped all night," Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette said. "I don't know. I thought he and Smith were going to get two and Smith didn't even go to the box."

SHOOTING STRAIGHT: The shootout win was Carolina's first since April 14, 2006, when the Canes beat the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Matt Cullen and Jeff Hamilton converted before Rod Brind'Amour scored the winner, breaking a streak of six straight shootout losses.

Cullen and Hamilton are both 2-for-2 in the shootout this season.

JUST FOR KICKS: When Cam Ward and Eric Staal grabbed the soccer ball and headed out to the loading dock before the game Saturday, Erik Cole wasn't following. But it wasn't long before he joined them.

"I taped both of my ankles," Cole said.

It was in this same building on Oct. 20 that the Carolina Hurricanes forward fell and sprained his ankle during the pregame kick-around, knocking him out of the lineup that night and for the next three games.

"There's an Erik Cole outline still out there," Ward joked. "It's off limits for him. We'll buy some high-tops for him, just for Philadelphia."

Cole, after safely surviving the soccer, picked up a pair of assists in the win.

GRAHAME GETS START: For the first time in seven games, John Grahame was in net for the Hurricanes. Ward had started six straight games for the Canes after Grahame was in net for an 8-1 loss at the Buffalo Sabres on Dec. 1.

Grahame has now allowed 23 goals in his past four starts, but made some big saves among his 36 Saturday, including a short-handed breakaway by Mike Richards late in the third period.

HISTORY LESSON: The Flyers missed their chance to sweep a four-game season series with the Hurricanes for the first time since the Carolina franchise entered the NHL as the Hartford Whalers in 1979-80.

The Flyers swept three-game season series three times -- in 1981-82, 1985-86 and 1992-93 -- and held the Hurricanes/Whalers without a win in seven of the previous 14 four-game season series, three of which saw Hartford/Carolina go 0-3-1.

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #198
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Holmgren's toughest challenge

Link

When Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren signed 22-year-old center Mike Richards to the richest ($69 million) and longest (12 years) contract in team history, he took several calculated gambles.

He gambled that Richards, who missed 23 games last season with a sports hernia and a separated shoulder, would remain healthy throughout the rest of his Flyers career.

He gambled that Richards, whose career high in points before this season was 34, would continue to develop as a point producer and eventual captain.

And he gambled that the NHL salary cap, which has climbed from $39 million to $44 million to $50.3 million since the end of the NHL lockout, would continue to escalate, allowing him to keep the young nucleus he has established through strong drafts and excellent trades.

Assuming there are no significant roster changes, the Flyers have committed roughly $44 million to next year's payroll. That figure excludes the $3.5 million the Flyers will pay Mike Rathje while he is on injured reserve and the $2.1 million they have committed to Denis Gauthier, who is likely to accept a buyout after this season.

All indications point to the NHL salary cap rising to about $55 million next season.

Theoretically, that would leave the Flyers about $11 million in cap space to sign unrestricted free-agent defenseman Jason Smith and restricted free agents Jeff Carter, R.J. Umberger, Randy Jones and Riley Cote.

Can they do it?

"We're going to have to be very creative," Flyers president Peter Luukko said.

Smith is the Flyers' top priority. At 34, he still plays a take-no-prisoners brand of defense and his quiet leadership cannot be overstated on a team that desperately needed -- and found -- a true captain.

Smith is in the final year of a deal that pays him $1.976 million and, despite his age, he should be in line for a three-year deal with an average salary in the $3 million range (perhaps $3.2, $3.2, $2.6).

Here's where it gets a little dicey.

Jeff Carter, who turns 23 next month, is in the final year of a three-year entry-level contract that pays him what Richards was getting before his mega-deal: $942,400.

From a statistical standpoint, Carter's numbers are very comparable to Richards. In 172 games he had 46 goals and 48 assists for 94 points.

Entering Saturday's action, Richards had 35 goals and 66 assists for 101 points in 166 games.

Granted, Carter does not kill penalties or take key faceoffs late in games and does not play on the first-unit power play. In fact, he plays about five fewer minutes a game than Richards.

But he is a dangerous offensive player with tremendous potential and is an integral part of the Flyers' future. Carter likely will request an escalating three- or four-year deal from the Flyers worth about $3 million a season.

The Flyers are likely to offer a one-year deal in the $2 million range to keep Carter away from the vultures of restricted free agency, then work on a lengthy extension if his play deems worthy next season.

Umberger, 25, is also in the final year of his entry-level contract and is getting paid $1.25 million this season. In 181 NHL games Umberger entered Saturday's action with 42 goals and 44 assists for 86 points.

Umberger brings a grittier element to his game than Carter and could be an alternate captain under Richards if he continues to develop as a leader.

Like Carter, Umberger would be an attractive player in the restricted free agent market and the Flyers will try to retain his rights for at least another season.

To keep him a Flyer for next season, the Flyers would likely need to give Umberger similar money to Carter, about $2 million or slightly more.

If Carter and/or Umberger decide they are worth more and hold out for long-term deals, the Flyers run the risk of losing one or both to restricted free agency, which could result in as many as four first-round draft picks as compensation.

Jones, 26, is having his best season as a pro this year. He entered the weekend leading the Flyers with a plus-10 rating. He's making $525,000 this season and will come close to doubling that salary as one of the starting six next season. Let's set his price at an even $1 million.

Cote, 25, is a fearless enforcer who stands up for his teammates and can get in on the forecheck without being a defensive liability. He's making $500,000 this season and would be more than happy to take a salary bump to around $700,000 next season.

If you add that up -- $3 million for Smith, $4 million for Carter and Umberger, and $1.7 million for Jones and Cote -- you're looking at an increase of $8.7 million toward next year's payroll.

That would bump the Flyers' payroll from $44 million to about $53 million.

The Flyers could easily do some salary shedding, if necessary. With defense prospect Ryan Parent ($850,000) looking as if he could be ready for the NHL next season and Derian Hatcher's 35-year-old knees giving him trouble, the Flyers could buy out the final $3.5 million on Hatcher's contract.

In a little more than a year, Holmgren has resurrected the Flyers from the worst team in the NHL to a possible contender. On Thursday he made an incredible leap of faith by securing the biggest piece of the Flyers' future for 12 more seasons.

FLYERS' CAP NUMBERS
2008-09

Daniel Briere: $6.5 million

Kimmo Timonen: $6.333 million

Mike Richards: $5.75 million

Simon Gagne: $5.25 million

Scott Hartnell: $4.2 million

Martin Biron: $3.5 million

Derian Hatcher: $3.5 million

Mike Knuble: $2.8 million

Joffrey Lupul: $2.535 million

Braydon Coburn: $1.3 million

Sami Kapanen: $1.25 million

Scottie Upshall: $1.225 million

Antero Niittymaki: $1.225 million

Lasse Kukkonen: $875,000

Steve Downie: $821,667

Ben Eager: $600,000

Total: $44,164,667

Projected salary cap: $55 million
Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #199
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
yeah he is, and he is finally turning into what he was supposed to be, But i have to agree with bronx on this one, i think its too long too soon, with too much unproven. Its not just one good year as he sayd cuz he was putting up these kinds of numbers the last half of last year , but still, not even 1 full complete season and hes gets a contract like that.
Here is why I love the move....

Richards is the best 2 way player I've seen in a Flyer uni in a long long time. While he has not played in the NHl long, there is zero reason to think he will not be one of the best players in this league for a long time (He's already a top 10 all around player at only 22). The biggest worry is health. Not that he is injury prone but when you sign a player to 12 years, if he sustains a career ending injury, he is on your books for the duration of the contract. However, every team has to worry about the same thing as any player can get hurt.

Richards will average $5.75 million for the next 12 years. Imagine what a top tier player will average in 3 years.... Especially when you consider average to slightly above average players are gonna get $2-$3 million this upcoming season. In 3 years, Richards will probably be underpaid. Now, think about 8-10 years from now! That's why this is an incredible deal for the Flyers.

I imagine we will lose Carter or Umberger. I doubt both. Carter has been the speculation of trade rumors all year. I think they know they can't keep both. Carter is the correct choice to get rid of if they have to choose, as he only plays on one side of the ice. Umberger plays well in both aspects (O and D).

We have a ton of young talent that will slide right in to the lineup should we lose Carter (Potulny, Ruzicka, Tolpeko). In salary cap hockey, you can't keep everyone.

I wanted the Flyers to extend some players before the year was over. My top 3 choices in order were, Richards (done), Jason Smith, and RJ Umberger. 1 down, 2 to go.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #200
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=346347

Flyers Respond to Penguins Coach Kevin Kurz philadelphiaflyers.com Dec 12, 2007, 2:25 PM EST Stevens, players disagree with ‘lack of respect’ assessment from Therrien

(Voorhees, NJ) – As heated as the game between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh was on the ice Tuesday night, the animosity continued in the postgame press conferences immediately following the 8-2 win by the Flyers.

John Stevens was not happy with the way the Penguins conducted themselves with the game already decided, while Pittsburgh coach Michel Therrien accused Stevens of showing a lack of respect towards his club by running up the score with his top power play unit on the ice late in the blowout victory.

Therrien got a chance to respond to Stevens’ comments on Tuesday night. Stevens had to wait for his turn until Wednesday afternoon after the Flyers’ practice at the Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone.

The Flyers and Penguins combined for 126 penalty minutes in the 8-2 Philadelphia win on Tuesday night. (Jack Cassidy)

Needless to say, he disagreed with his counterpart’s assessment of the situation, and reiterated that he thinks the Penguins were trying to hurt his players.

“[Sami Kapanen] got elbowed in the head. [Mike] Richards got elbowed in the head by [Colby] Armstrong. The puck was long gone and [Georges] Laraque breaks his stick over I think it was [Lasse] Kukkonen. [Sidney] Crosby runs into Marty [Biron] and so does Laraque. When teams are going to just take liberties on you, if you don’t try to score, are you [telling them] to just keep taking liberties? That’s the way I look at it.

“I have a lot of respect for the Pittsburgh Penguins and their players, but I don’t have respect for what [they were doing]. If you’re going to go out there and take those kinds of penalties against us, why wouldn’t we try to score?”

Therrien said that he thought Stevens sending the Flyers’ best power play unit out in a 7-2 game, which included Danny Briere, was unnecessary. He added, “Even Briere did not want to go onto the ice.”

Briere got a good chuckle out of Therrien’s mind-reading abilities on Wednesday afternoon.

“How would he know?” rhetorically replied Briere. “What do you expect us to do? They’re breaking sticks over our players, and we’re supposed to just tell them, [that’s] ok?”

“I would be disrespecting my team if we didn’t put those guys out there,” added Stevens.

The players in the Flyers’ locker room also have no apologies for scoring eight times, including four goals in the last 21 minutes of play. After all, the Penguins recorded 8-2 and 8-4 wins last season en route to winning all eight games of the season series.

“It’s the NHL. It’s the best players in the world, and you don’t have to lay off anyone,” said Mike Knuble, who tallied on the power play late in the second period. “We want to show other people that when we get teams down we want to stay on top of them and not give them a chance to get back in it or show any mercy. It’s a good message to send not only in that game, but to the rest of the people watching.”

“When you get a power play, what are you supposed to do, just pass the puck around your own end? This is two professional hockey teams going against one another,” said Biron, who picked up his 13th victory of the season. “If you have a chance to score, you’re going to score.”

With the fireworks on and off the ice, the remaining five games against Pittsburgh this season now have an added dramatic element. The teams meet again on January 24 at the Wachovia Center.

“They’re going to be spirited games from here on out,” said Knuble.