The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #426
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Does Sid ever get to be a kid?

Great points and artical alot of fans and media complain about sid acting like a kid (when he is one) the kid has alot on his table that most 20 year olds can't even comprehend or even imagine.

Link

By:ERIC DUHATSCHEK

December 7, 2007 at 2:42 PM EST

As the Sidney Crosby tour made its way from Edmonton to Calgary and finally to Vancouver this week, the scrutiny on the Pittsburgh Penguins' young captain was greater than at any other time this season.

It wasn't as if the interest in the 20-year-old the new face of the NHL had waned exactly, but the novelty, in the cities where he'd been before, had started to wear off; the demands on his time not as great as in his rookie or sophomore seasons. A week ago in Toronto, when the Penguins were visiting the Leafs again, Crosby's handlers were surprised there wasn't a single special request for him, even though they were appearing on Hockey Night In Canada in the prime-time slot.

It was different in Western Canada because he was making his first career appearance there. With poise, patience and extreme good grace, Crosby went from one media availability to the next, usually twice a day, answering any number of questions, most of which dealt with the minutia of his day-to-day life. Watching it all unfold, one was struck by two things how startlingly similar it was to the Wayne Gretzky phenomenon in the early days of his career and also how different.

Crosby gets it, in the same way that Gretzky did and in ways that it took others (including Mario Lemieux, Crosby's landlord, and Mark Messier, Gretzky's long-time sidekick) years to figure out.

Gretzky always made a point of learning the names of the people asking the questions, so that over time, the relationship between interviewer and interviewee evolved to where it needed to be. To write effectively about anyone, you cannot write about ghosts. You need to know some detail about their lives and their core values and what matters to them and what doesn't. There's always a fine line. Get too close and you can't critically evaluate when the need to do so arises. Fail to penetrate the surface and mostly you're left to type up stock answers to standard questions the journalist as stenographer, an increasingly common occurrence.

Where they differ is in the age that they played. The two industries professional sport and the mediums that chronicle it have both changed dramatically in the quarter of a century between Gretzky's debut and Crosby's.

Mostly, when Gretzky came to town, there'd be three or four reporters and a couple of cameras in the dressing room and that would be it. Once the TV folks went away, Gretzky liked nothing better than talking hockey and exchanging gossip and/or trade rumours with the scribes. That of course was a different bygone era pre-Internet, pre-24 hour sports talk radio, pre-Sportscentre, when you could actually have a real conversation and not the sort of formal question-and-answer session that today's press crush demands.

Now, they face so many more demands and it's always for one minute here, or three minutes there, or five or 10. But the cumulative effect of all those demands for one minute or three or five or 10 is that Crosby cannot meet them all and so, it becomes a juggling act for him and for the team. The NHL desperately needs Crosby to be its public face, in the same way it needed Gretzky 25 years ago, but it also needs Crosby productive on the ice and that means, balancing the need for publicizing the game with the need to play the game and play it at a high level.

An example of how it works now: In the Penguins' dressing room, after the morning skate in Calgary on Thursday, Crosby wandered over to his locker stall. There were half-a-dozen cameras pointing at him, as he took off his skates. Crosby seemed impervious to their presence. The only request from the Penguins' staff: That they stop shooting once he took his hockey pants off. Nobody wanted that image to appear on YouTube or on someone's camera phone too risky for the image, you understand.

Crosby needs to be so careful and so guarded about everything he does that you wonder, at the age of 20, at a time when many of us had one foot planted in adulthood and one in adolescence, does Sid ever get a chance to be a kid anymore?

"Yeah, every day, away from the rink," answered Crosby. "It's important you have to have fun. I feel pretty fortunate to be on this team, especially with the young group of guys that we have.

"I remember my first year, I was on the team and I was pretty much the only young guy and it was a lot different. I was used to junior hanging out with your buddies after practice, going to lunch or going to movies every day. Here guys were going home to their families, so you wouldn't see them. So to have a young group, I feel really fortunate. I think we're all growing up together, which is kind of nice."

The Penguins signed Crosby to a five-year contract extension this past summer, which will carry him through to the end of the 2012-13 season. At that point, he will have played eight full NHL seasons and be eligible for unrestricted free agency on July 1 of that year, some five weeks before his 26th birthday. (Crosby, believe it or not, is still playing this season on his original entry-level contract, which is listed on NHLPA.com as $850,000, although with bonuses, he'll earn about $3.7 million, which is also his salary-cap charge). If Crosby stayed healthy and productive and were ever interested in testing the open market when that time rolls around, there would be no end to the line of suitors, pining for his services. It is why the Penguins are so solicitous in ensuring that Pittsburgh is where he wants to play. He's still living with owner Mario Lemieux ("how long that lasts, I don't know") and described Pittsburgh as the perfect place for him.

"I don't think it's any secret why Mario still lives there. He'd tell you too: It's a great place to live. The people are great. It's a comfortable place. I don't think I could have gotten any better place to be."

The Penguins appointed Crosby their captain this season, which was risky on some levels. There have been notable times in recent NHL history where a team named its best young player captain and the added burden was too much for them (the Tampa Bay Lightning and Vincent Lecavalier may be the best example of that). Crosby, however, says it has had little impact on his approach or his day-to-day life.

"I feel pretty lucky," he said. "With my situation, we have a pretty young group and we have some great veterans. I really feel I haven't had to adjust too much. I don't think I've tried to change too much, to be honest. I try to do the same things and approach things the same way."

Crosby has been dealing with the comparisons to Gretzky since his teen years. Even Gretzky once predicted that if anyone could break his scoring records, it might be Crosby. That, of course, seems unlikely in the current era, where goal-scoring is down about three per game from the mid-eighties or when Gretzky was in his prime and NHL scoring was at its all-time high. So their statistics may never compare (except on a pro-rated basis). A more accurate measure will be their respective impacts on the game. The NHL did seem to matter to more people, for a time, during the height of Gretzky's popularity. Great players have a way of transcending their sport and drawing casual fans to the game. Gretzky did that and Crosby has the capacity to do so as well.

"When I talked to Mario, early on, when I first got to Pittsburgh, he said one of the things was just to enjoy it, try to be yourself, and not change too much. I've tried to do that.

"Everyone has their own way of dealing with (celebrity) and I think I've found my way. Hopefully, it'll continue to work."

RUMOURS DU JOUR: Usually a pointless exercise, in the gridlocked NHL, except in the week of Scott Niedermayer's return to the Anaheim Ducks, the team he helped to win the 2007 Stanley Cup. Before they can activate Niedermayer, the Ducks need to trade away a player signed to a contract through to the end of the 2008-09 earning around $900,000 to make the salary-cap numbers work. It would be easiest to move defenceman Mathieu Schneider, for a whole lot of reasons: First, Schneider was signed as Niedermayer's replacement; with Niedermayer returning, the need to have him in the line-up is greatly reduced.

Second, if they don't move Schneider, then they will have almost $19 million tied up in three defencemen. Only the Toronto Maple Leafs, with a $16 million salary-cap charge for the trio of Bryan McCabe, Pavel Kubina and Tomas Kaberle, and the Detroit Red Wings, with a $16.6 salary-cap charge for Nicklas Lidstrom, Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall, come close. Prior to trading for Chris Pronger in the summer of 2006, Ducks' general manager Brian Burke consulted with his salary-cap guru the NFL's Bill Polian to see if $13 million (for Niedermayer and Pronger) was too much to pay two players. (The answer then: No, provided they were the right two players). But Schneider's $5.625 million salary IS probably too much for three defencemen, no matter how accomplished.

Third, if they move Schneider, it will give the Ducks the ability to sign leading goal-scorer Corey Perry to a contract extension (he's on the books for a modest $633,333 salary-cap charge this year; it'll go up next year when he becomes a restricted free agent). If they trade a lower-end player, they can solve their salary-cap woes in the short term, but then they'd have to postpone negotiations with Perry until the season ended, something they'd be loath to do if at all possible.

The buzz around the league this week was that the Chicago Blackhawks would look at Schneider, to provide a little veteran steadiness to a team with a young, improving but still inexperienced defence corps. Besides, the Blackhawks have had some success in recruiting ex-Red Wings Robert Lang, Jason Williams. Schneider would be a nice fit there as well.

THIS AND THAT: Mark Recchi's days with the Pittsburgh Penguins are over for good, but that doesn't mean the veteran winger won't resurface in the NHL sometime soon. That Recchi cleared waivers this week came as no surprise. For $1.75 million in salary, he was too expensive for teams to pick up at that price. The Penguins could have bought him out (the strategy they employed last year, under similar circumstances, with John LeClair), but instead they called him back up from their minor-league affiliate in Wilkes-Barre, giving teams a chance to claim Recchi on re-entry waivers for half his salary. At that price, there should be a handful of teams (Columbus, Carolina, Calgary) willing to roll the dice that Recchi can still contribute something to their offence On Thursday night, the Calgary Flames joined the ranks of all their Northwest Division peers, dealing with the effects of a suddenly depleted defence corps. Vancouver went through it earlier, with Sami Salo, Kevin Bieksa and Lukas Krajicek; Edmonton lost Sheldon Souray and Joni Pitkanen for extended periods of time. Robyn Regehr, the Flames' top defensive defenceman, broke his ankle stopping a shot against the Penguins and is out indefinitely. He joins Rhett Warrener (high ankle sprain) on the sidelines and it means that for their upcoming six-game road trip, starting Sunday in Chicago, they will be using Anders Eriksson, David Hale and Adam Pardy as their Nos. 4, 5 and 6 rearguards. It also means even more ice time for Dion Phaneuf, Cory Sarich and Adrian Aucoin. The Canucks and Oilers survived the injuries to their defencemen because a) their goaltenders picked up their games; and b) pressed into service, a handful of young defenders in both organizations (Tom Gilbert, Denis Grebeshkov in Edmonton, Alexander Edler and Luc Bourdon in Vancouver, acquitted themselves reasonably well). Calgary, however, lost two of last year's depth defencemen, Richie Regehr and Mark Giardano, to offers from Europe. Last year, they tried a young Swiss defenceman, Tim Ramholt, in one game, but coach Mike Keenan limited him to 45 seconds of action before shipping him back to the minors. The Flames either need to show more faith in their youngsters (a difficult leap of faith to make at this critical juncture in the season) or wade into the trade market to pick up an experienced hand. The Ducks don't trade with Edmonton, but presumably, they'd have no qualms about dealing with Calgary. Now that Jay McKee is healthy, the St. Louis Blues are carrying eight defencemen and sitting out two per night. The other day, Erik Johnson the first player chosen in the 2006 entry draft drew the short straw.

AND FINALLY, SINGING THE BLUES NO MORE: St. Louis always was a good hockey town, which had fallen on hard times the past few seasons, after two developments Chris Pronger's departure and the uncertainty over the sale of the team plunged them to the bottom of the standings. In the short time with John Davidson at the helm as president and de facto general manager and Andy Murray behind the bench, they've managed an astonishing turnaround both on the ice (sixth in the tightly bunched Western Conference standings, but only three points out of second place, with three games in hand) and at the box office (up about 5,000 fans per game, the only one of the 30 NHL cities that has seen such a huge turnaround at the turnstiles).

Murray is coming up on his one-year anniversary behind the Blues bench he took over from Mike Kitchen back on Dec. 11 last season, with St. Louis stumbling along at the bottom of the NHL standings. Murray led the club to a 27-18-9 turnaround and in his first 12 games behind the bench last season, the team did not allow a first-period goal, which tied a modern-day NHL record, set by the Los Angeles Kings in the 1974-75 season. Murray is a details man, who has often been said to micromanage his team. However, he indicated this week that the team is doing minimal video work and that he recognized that it can be as dangerous to "over-coach as it is to under-coach."

The Blues have managed their turnaround, despite a cobbled-together roster of veterans (Paul Kariya, signed as a free-agent last summer, leads the team in scoring with 25 points; and kids, the aforementioned Johnson, plus teenager David Perron). The strength of the team is its defence, which includes the unheralded rookie Steve Wagner, who was signed as a free agent out of Minnesota State last March, played 14 games for their farm team in Peoria at the end of last season and currently leads their defencemen in scoring with eight in 21 games. Two one-sided deals with the Boston Bruins didn't hurt either. They picked up Brad Boyes in exchange for Denis Wideman; he leads the team with 15 goals in 25 games. No one else has more than seven and astonishingly, Doug Weight has zero in 25 games. They also acquired goaltender Hannu Toivonen for Carl Soderberg. Toivonen, at 23, was the back-up to Manny Legace, but sparkled in limited playing time (1.99 GAA, .927 save percentage) and looks as if he could evolve into a bona-fide No. 1 NHL goaltender. With Legace injured and Marek Schwartz up from the minors, Toivonen will get a chance to play regularly for the time being.

Murray described Boyes as a player with "a tremendous skill level" and reminded everyone that, "two years ago, in Boston, he had close to 80 points and played pretty well. Last year, his play in Boston wasn't very good and when he came to us, it was kind of up and down as well. It's a credit to Brad. He's being hard on the puck, he's fore-checking - and when he's doing that, good things are going to happen. He's a quality young man. His concern is keeping his feet moving at all times."

Nor is Murray willing to take too much for granted now that things are going so well.

"I'm selling a belief system that if we do certain things the same way every night, we've got a chance to be successful," he said. "We haven't had any easy wins. They've been one-goal wins, tight right until the end. That's the way it's going to be for our team. If we don't play hard every single night, we can also lose about nine or 10 in a row and we realize that. That fear is helping drive us right now, because at this time last year, the Blues were sitting 30th."

The Blues boast the third-best defensive record in the league, quite an achievement considering they rely on two castoffs between the pipes.

"All key sports are the same," said Murray. "In football, if you don't have a quarterback, it's tough to be successful. In baseball, if you don't have pitching, it's tough to be successful. In basketball, if you don't have that power forward in the middle, it's tough to be successful. And hockey has goaltending.

"To me, the only thing I see is the difference when goalies don't play well. Most of them are playing well they're well-coached, they're well-schooled. The new style of goaltender, they take up so much of the net. Most of them are so big now it's tough to score goals."

So how do you ramp up the overall offence, without fundamentally altering the game?

"I wonder, just possibly, if the idea of allowing guys defensively to play a little more aggressively down below the circle may create some chances. Now all defencemen are taught to do is stay on the defensive side and contain. It's tough to get pucks to the net now. Before when they were trying to take guys out, defencemen could get caught out of position. You could squeeze by them and go to the net. Now, when you play a guy, you play stick on puck and you play more contain than pressure and when you're containing, the chance of being out of position isn't that great.

"So in fact, I'm questioning if that rule hasn't taken away a little bit of the offence because defencemen now are more cautious. Is that one thing you could do? I don't know."
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #427
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

PIT 2 VAN 1 (SHOOTOUT)

What an amazing hockey game. Just incredible. Unbelievable goaltending in this game. Luongo and Sabourin were just awesome. Luongo stole so many goals from us, tonight. Crosby had a chance in OT on a penalty shot and he stopped him. It went deep into the shootout before Letang beat Luongo, to win it, as he had also won it for us in the SO at Calgary. The Penguins won all three of their games in Western Canada and I think have now won 8 out of 9. We are playing very well right now. Three games over .500.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #428
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Boy they really are treating Mark Recchi like crap what the he11 is up with that?
Old 12-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #429
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

They tried to trade him first and no one bit - what else are you going to do, ya know?
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #430
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

actually ill give them props for that, they did everything they could to get him a spot to play in the nhl, nobody wanted him for full salary, so re entry waivers gets him for half price, they could just sent him to wilks barre and let him rot. thumbs up to the pens for that one, always licked rechhi, hope he does well in atlanta.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #431
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

I love Rex. I wish the Flyers could re-aquire him but the salary cap won't allow that. He could help fill a void with gagne being out so long. What's Mark's Cap number anyway?
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #432
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

i think hes 1.5 but being claimed on re-entrys hes only 7.5, prorated for the rest of the year, maybe one of the pens fans could help clear this up for us.

I also would have loved to have him back, but from what i hear much like leclair its time for him to hang them up, altho the same was said about roenick last year and he seems to be doing ok.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #433
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
i think hes 1.5 but being claimed on re-entrys hes only 7.5, prorated for the rest of the year, maybe one of the pens fans could help clear this up for us.

I also would have loved to have him back, but from what i hear much like leclair its time for him to hang them up, altho the same was said about roenick last year and he seems to be doing ok.
Sadly, I think Kapenen is in the same situation.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #434
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Mirtle has some cool stat totals for the kid and posting it he never lines up so heres the link.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/

After tonight's game in Vancouver, Sidney Crosby will have played in all 30 NHL cities. Here's a look at how he's fared across the league to this point in his career:

City GP G A PTS +/- PIM SOG
1 Pittsburgh 94 47 93 140 11 92 316
2 Long Island 8 3 12 15 1 14 30
3 Philadelphia 9 8 7 15 4 14 33
4 New Jersey 9 4 5 9 2 10 22
5 Washington 5 3 5 8 1 6 18
6 Toronto 6 4 4 8 -1 4 21
7 New York 9 4 4 8 -4 4 29
8 Florida 4 2 4 6 0 4 18
9 Montreal 4 2 4 6 0 6 10
10 Boston 4 0 6 6 5 2 10
11 Buffalo 4 3 2 5 2 4 12
12 Atlanta 4 2 3 5 -2 4 15
13 Minnesota 1 1 3 4 3 0 4
14 Phoenix 1 1 3 4 1 0 4
15 Carolina 5 2 2 4 -1 6 15
16 Edmonton 1 0 3 3 2 0 0
17 Los Angeles 1 0 3 3 1 0 0
18 Ottawa 5 0 3 3 -1 8 24
19 Colorado 1 2 0 2 0 4 4
20 Dallas 1 0 2 2 1 0 2
21 Tampa Bay 4 1 1 2 -2 2 9
22 Detroit 1 0 1 1 1 2 1
23 Chicago 1 0 1 1 0 0 3
24 Anaheim 1 0 1 1 0 0 0
25 Nashville 1 0 1 1 -1 2 9
26 Calgary 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
27 Columbus 1 0 0 0 -2 4 3
28 San Jose 1 0 0 0 -2 2 0
29 St. Louis 1 0 0 0 -3 0 3

188 89 173 262 16 194 617
Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #435
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

My how time flys..

6 years ago
Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #436
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

ouch that has got to hurt

and i cant wait to hear how you p***Ys try to explain sending your goon out to try and trip biron.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #437
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

PHI 8 PIT 2

Ouch. At least Sid got two points. Flower, get healthy fast! Sabourin and Conklin were terrible.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #438
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

yeah, i decided to have a hot date tonight instead of watching this game - glad i did.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #439
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Penguins' Fleury may not return until mid-February

Link

Associated Press

December 12, 2007 at 3:06 PM EST

PITTSBURGH Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, unbeaten the last three weeks, has a badly sprained ankle that will keep him out of the Pittsburgh Penguins' lineup for up to two months.

Penguins forward Maxime Talbot has a similar injury and may be out a month. Both Fleury and Talbot were examined Wednesday by a team doctor after the Penguins returned from an eight-day road trip.

Fleury and Talbot have a more severe type of sprain that occurs in the ligaments of the upper ankle and takes longer to heal than a normal sprain. The team said the minimum Fleury will be out is six weeks, or until late January.

Losing Fleury and Talbot for an extended stretch is a major setback for the Penguins, who made the playoffs for the first time in six years last season but have hovered around the .500 mark this season. They take a 15-13-2 record into Thursday night's home game against Ottawa.

The injuries occurred during what traditionally is one of the busiest stretches of the season, with Thursday's game being the Penguins' sixth in 11 days. Even if Fleury can return in late January, he would miss 19 games nearly one-quarter of the schedule.

Coach Michel Therrien does not expect the club to add another goaltender, which means the Penguins will go with former Vancouver backup Dany Sabourin as their starter.

Until losing Tuesday, the Penguins were coming off a franchise-first three-game sweep of Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver during a western Canada swing and had won seven of eight.

Sabourin, at least statistically, has played better than Fleury this season, but Sabourin was pulled after allowing five goals in two periods of an 8-2 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday night. He is 6-5-1 with a 2.50 goals-against average.

Fleury is 9-8-1 with two shutouts and a 2.90 GAA, but had begun playing much better before getting hurt early in the first period of a 3-2 shootout victory in Calgary last Thursday.

The 23-year-old Fleury the No. 1 pick in the 2003 draft has won his last four starts, allowing only four goals and making 84 saves. He hasn't lost since Nov. 21. Fleury's recent play was a turnaround from a mid-November slump in which he lost four consecutive decisions and gave up 19 goals in four-plus games.

Fleury had a breakthrough season a year ago, going 40-16-9 after previously winning only 17 of his first 71 NHL games. He tied with Buffalo's Ryan Miller and Calgary's Miikka Kiprusoff for third place among NHL goalies with 40 wins and trailed only Martin Brodeur (48 wins) of New Jersey and Roberto Luongo (47 wins) of Vancouver.

Talbot, who usually plays on the fourth line, has seven goals and four assists in 24 games. He had two goals in four games beginning Dec. 3 after being out for five games with the same type of ankle injury he has now.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #440
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
PHI 8 PIT 2

Ouch. At least Sid got two points. Flower, get healthy fast! Sabourin and Conklin were terrible.

Missing talbot and fleury didn't help..
Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #441
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

and the three stars of the game

lupul #1
richards #2
and crosby #3

WTF is that, umberger gets a hat trick and 3 assists and cindy gets third star with 2 assists and a -3 on the night ? who the hell voted for that ?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #442
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Boy they really are treating Mark Recchi like crap what the he11 is up with that?
Yeah, I heard Don Cherry's take on that the other day... The Pens management made themselves look like real a-holes with the way they handled his release.
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #443
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Missing talbot and fleury didn't help..
Imagine what we could do with our best offensive player in our lineup, Gagne.......
Old 12-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #444
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

never mind that pbn, they were missing talbot

heres a good article tho

Crosby-Richards rivalry inevitable
By TERRY KOSHAN, SUN MEDIA

Participants for Canada at the world junior will tell you the bonds they form with teammates at the annual event will last long after their playing days are done.

But will the bond formed by Sidney Crosby and Mike Richards when they played for Canada in the 2004 and '05 tournaments stand the test of time? It's going to be fun to observe whether it will. Undoubtedly, it will take plenty of resolve on the part of both players to keep it from breaking.

Crosby's Pittsburgh Penguins and Richards' Philadelphia Flyers have formed a rivalry that has become one of the hotter ones in the NHL -- a nasty match between the two clubs this week has fans anticipating more of the same in their five remaining head-to-head clashes this season -- and one can bet Richards will take pride in trying to shut down Crosby in the years to come.

Both have signed with their respective teams for the long term and both, despite their youth, play with a passion that is not met by a majority of their NHL brethren.

Crosby is the mould by which any offensive player will be measured for the foreseeable future, and Richards soon should develop into one of the top two-way players in the game.

Crosby, meanwhile, nearly came to blows with Flyers goalie Martin Biron on Tuesday, but had second thoughts.

"I'd like to (fight Biron), probably. But at the same time, you don't fight a goalie," Crosby said. "Goalies square off with goalies. That's the way it works."

No comment on whether a whiny a** sissy will square off with whiny a** sissies.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #445
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

More gary roberts rage

Roberts was giving up three inches and about 30 pounds in this bout
Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #446
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

They are getting their asses kicked by the Rangers right now
Old 12-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #447
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

LET'S GO RANGERS !!!!

LET'S GO RANGERS !!!!

Team girl's name has no heart.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #448
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

RAY FINKLE 4 GOOD GUYS 0

This sucked.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #449
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

The pens are still short in some areas IMO to be a real cup contender. I still think we need blue line help.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #450
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Crosby has his first fight tonight vs the bruins and did pretty good...