The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #251
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
What a joke....

I know right. Wasn't even a penalty. What a joke that he got suspended!
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #252
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Wes Walz drama is over

Wes Walz announces retirement..

The Wild has called a 10:30 news conference for this morning at Xcel Energy Center where 37-year-old center Wes Walz, the Wild’s all-time leader with 438 games played, will announce his retirement from the NHL, two NHL sources confirmed Friday night.

Walz, one of two last Original Wild players along with Marian Gaborik, has been on indefinite leave from the team since Nov. 1. Walz’s 82 goals and 182 points rank second in franchise history behind Gaborik.

A tremendous-skating checker, Walz has been a heart-and-soul leader, one who has been a positive influence on up-and-comers like Mikko Koivu and Brent Burns.

In 2002-03, Walz was a Selke Trophy (NHL’s best defensive forward) finalist, and that was before a marvelous playoff in which he scored seven goals and shut down stars like Peter Forsberg.

Walz, a former Boston Bruins’ pick, was a junior star for Lethbridge of the Western Hockey League (83 points and 244 points). He spent the next several years shuffling back and forth between the NHL and minors before spending four years in Switzerland. But in 2000, General Manager Doug Risebrough called with an offer from the expansion Wild, where he’s spent seven years.

“I thought for sure I was riding off into the sunset 10 years ago,” Walz said in January 2006. “But I always felt I had more to give over here. I’m just so glad I was given an opportunity to satisfy my dreams of playing in the NHL and maybe even having an impact.”

In April 2006, Walz said, “I don’t think I’m going to be one of those guys who’s going to hang on and they’re going to cut my skates off. I enjoy coming to the rink. I love competing. But there’s more to life than hockey.”

As for my postgame updates, I direct you to my gamer if OK…Lots of work still to do.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #253
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Board of Governors Approves New Schedule

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (November 29, 2007) – The National Hockey League’s Board of Governors today approved a scheduling matrix which ensures that each Club will play every other Club a minimum of once per season. The format will go into effect for the 2008-2009 season.

Each Club will play the teams in its division three times at home and three times on the road, for a total of 24 games. Each Club will continue to play 40 games inside its conference but outside its division (10 opponents) twice at home and twice on the road. That brings the in-conference total to 64 games and maintains the integrity of a Conference-based playoff system.

The remaining 18 games in the 82-game schedule will involve each Club playing each Club in the other conference at least once, home or away, with the three remaining games being devoted to interconference “at-large” scheduling.

The format represents a change from the matrix approved by the Board for the 2005-06 campaign. That format called for four games (40 total) against each non-division conference opponent, eight games (32 total) against each in-division opponent and 10 inter-conference games – one game at home against each of the five clubs from a designated division and one game on the road against all five clubs from a different division.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #254
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default The Death of the Instigator?

LinkFresh on the heels of the latest attempt by the Philadelphia Flyers to reconnect with their history, comes this report from Darren Dreger of TSN that the players of the teams visited so far by newly-minted Executive Director of the NHLPA Paul Kelly are telling him that it's time for the instigator to be flushed down the memory hole of bad ideas like Slavery, New Coke and the Labor Theory of Value (otherwise known as Marxism).

Kelly is asking players the question, "Do you want it removed?," and sources say the vast majority are saying yes. At the competition committee level last year, the players voted in favour of leaving it in.

So, what's changed?

As one player put it, "guys have to be more accountable," citing hits to the head and hits from behind this season as the motivator for urgency.

My only response to this is, "ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME GUYS!"

Our fearless leader here at FanHouse, Eric McErlain, showed why he rocks and I'm a slacker with his interview of Matt Pettinger, which gave me the sense of both frustration and futility at the current situation. Unfortunately, I respectfully disagree with Mr. Pettinger, because I don't think that even a serious, serious injury or death will change the nigh-psychotic love affair that a segment of the hockey community has with violence of this type.

Eric's listing of the responses he's received from fans on this issue as well as the fascinating comment thread from his post linked above stands as a testament to a state of psychosis that is so ingrained in this society that we actually consider these positions worthy of discussion as opposed to dismissing them as prima facia evidence of dementia.

It is only natural when confronted with a monstrous act of violence from a person that we have come to identify with to look for rational motive or a reason to blame the victim for the incident. It happens all the time.

I'm not immune from it, none of us are.

It is why, as a culture, we can justify to ourselves killing thousands of people we don't know in the name of a badly-implemented ideal of self-defense (Iraq/Vietnam/etc.); why we can justify institutionalized violence of the types both mundane and horrific, as long as they are committed by a class of people wearing a uniform of some form; be that uniform a soldier's, policeman's ("Don't Tase Me, Bro") or, yes, even a hockey player.

Make no mistake, these are pure, unadulterated acts of violence. And, while some amount of violence is inherent in the game of hockey, the degree to which things have accelerated will result in a watershed moment for the league and its fans. Whether any substantive change occurs from that moment is certainly up for debate. As I've already stated, I'm not hopeful.

Frankly, I see the NHL on this issue as nothing more than a sad reflection through a glass darkly of our rotting culture. Over-regulation, centralized power structures, lack of personal accountability and a poorly implemented 'justice system' have created a chaotic, vindictive community of personally irresponsible, yet fully-grown children running around violating not only the letter and/or spirit of the rules of the game but the rights of the people they play the game against.

And, sadly, we not only cheer them for it, we pay them a stupendous salary for the privilege of entertaining us so.

We've prattled on for years about the lack of respect the players have for each other, but nothing ever seems to change. Why should it? The rules of the game are set up to reward the wicked, punish the noble or merely angry and remind everyone from the fans who watch in horror/adulation to the trainers and doctors that have to treat the victims that the NHL is in charge of the situation, knowing all the while that justice will not, and moreover, cannot be served.

And, more often than not, their response is exactly as Eric put in in the title of his post, "We don't care about you.'

Honestly, why should they? We keep watching and paying for tickets, hanging out in chat rooms, blogging, cheering and filling their coffers with the filthy lucre of bloodsport. While I don't believe that punishment systems work and that no matter how harsh you make the penalty to the player who performs the transgression, monetarily or otherwise, it won't stop the zero-sum game of a nobody knee-doctoring a star player, some fundamental change to the response structure of the game has to be made. Steve Moores and Randy Joneses are a dime a dozen in comparison to Patrice Bergerons and Pat LaFontaines; it's why they are paid orders of magnitude more money.

The NHL fell into the same trap that we as a society fell into, believing that we could legislate away the things about ourselves we didn't like; that we could use the power of a central authority to improve on the natural order created by people having to deal with each other directly when their rights have been violated. The Instigator Rule and the banning on bench-clearing brawling was supposed to bring peace and order to the proceedings, but in the end they've done just the opposite. What we have now is a league filled with cheap-shot artistes who then run and hide behind the linesmen and referees, toothlessly grinning from ear to cauliflower ear, knowing full well that the NHL, against everyone's better judgment, has instructed them to separate potential combatants the moment anything like that occurs. The league will deal with the problem, civilized people do not brawl in the streets.

If that model worked why do we have so much more crime and violence of an increasingly bizarre nature in our cities and towns? Why do I have to lock my doors at night, keeping my dogs outside? And, why do the cops now wear full body armor and face shields when my father (NYPD from 1958-82) only needed a polyester uniform, a six-shooter (which he barely ever used) and a nightstick to patrol the worst neighborhoods in one of the most violent cities in human history?

There is no excuse for what Scott Hartnell, Chris Neil, Jesse Boulerice, Brian Marchment, Colby Armstrong, Chris Pronger, Claude Lemieux, the venerated Scott Stevens or the myriad other players of cheap-shot-past did. If Darren Dreger's report about the responses from the players is accurate, then it seems to me that they are making the rational choice of being given the opportunity to defend themselves without hurting their team, because if the NHL is going to continue to refuse to figure out a way to protect them, then they'll have to do so themselves.

This is the first ray of sunlight that I've seen on this issue in the past 10 years and I can only hope that the players go to the mat with the NHL over it. At the very least, it will ensure that those who take the cheap shots (or liberties, in an ironic use of the term if I ever heard one) are the ones who will have to personally answer the bell for their actions. It's the crucial first step towards returning sanity to the game. Now, outlaw the body armor and we might have the beginnings of a solution.

But, nothing and I mean not-a-thing, will change if we as fans don't stand up and repudiate the over-the-top violence regardless of the crest on the chest and retain enough respect for ourselves to cheer on men who play the game in a way worthy of our admiration and not requiring our rationalization.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #255
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Cool pic..

Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #256
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Aewsome Picture. I am shocked we don't see guys taking pucks to the face or worse, stick blades to the face while they are on the bench more often. Just looking at that pic, every guy with their face covered, still have gapping holes that a stick blade could easily find.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #257
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Well you don't see this too often..

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #258
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Cote gets 3 games

The league handed Flyers forward Riley Cote a three-game suspension on Monday for his match penalty following a high head shot to Stars defenceman Matt Niskanen Saturday night. Any player assessed a match penalty is automatically suspended pending a review by the league.

Media outlets in Philadelphia today reported that commissioner Gary Bettman had warned Flyers' general manager Paul Holmgren about further incidents.

"I talked to (Bettman) today," Holmgren told the Philadelphia Daily News. "He thinks, like I do, that these are different coincidences, different situations, that have to be viewed differently, but the question was raised about ramifications if it happens again.

"So obviously we're under watch."
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #259
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Ho Hum!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #260
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

The Los Angeles Kings, the parent club of the Manchester Monarchs, and Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi today announced the following transactions: center Gabe Gauthier and goaltender Jonathan Quick (under emergency conditions) have been recalled from the Monarchs; forward Matt Moulson has been assigned to Manchester; and forward Alexander Frolov has been placed on the injured reserve list (retroactive to November 21).

I know there are some DU fans on this board...
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #261
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default NHL posts best-ever November attendance

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League posted record attendance for the month of November, attracting 3,367,547 fans to 199 games for a per-game average of 16,922. The per-game figure eclipsed the previous November high of 16,818 set during the League's successful re-launch season in 2005 and was 2.3% ahead of last season's 16,538.

Season-to-date, the total NHL attendance of 6,603,908 and per-game average of 16,890 through 391 games are 1.9% ahead of the corresponding figures from the record-setting 2006-07 campaign.

NHL NOVEMBER ATTENDANCE SINCE 1987

Year GP Avg.

2007 199 16,922
2006 202 16,538
2005 199 16,818
2003 206 16,244
2002 207 16,378
2001 200 16,490
2000 199 16,200
1999 172 15,880
1998 165 15,819
1997 176 15,951
1996 172 16,197
1995 172 15,297
1993 165 15,245
1992 155 14,789
1991 144 15,330
1990 141 15,270
1989 140 15,630
1988 142 15,142
1987 138 15,137
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #262
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
The league handed Flyers forward Riley Cote a three-game suspension on Monday for his match penalty following a high head shot to Stars defenceman Matt Niskanen Saturday night. Any player assessed a match penalty is automatically suspended pending a review by the league.

Media outlets in Philadelphia today reported that commissioner Gary Bettman had warned Flyers' general manager Paul Holmgren about further incidents.

"I talked to (Bettman) today," Holmgren told the Philadelphia Daily News. "He thinks, like I do, that these are different coincidences, different situations, that have to be viewed differently, but the question was raised about ramifications if it happens again.

"So obviously we're under watch."
next move is to recall downie, i love it.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:16 AM   #263
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=224476&hubname=nhl

Ducks confirm Niedermayer's return
Scott Niedermayer

Scott Niedermayer

TSN.ca Staff with files from The Canadian Press

12/5/2007 11:59:42 PM

The Anaheim Ducks made it official Wednesday as the team announced that Scott Niedermayer would return for the remainder of the season.

The announcement, made prior to the Ducks game against the Buffalo Sabres, ended weeks of speculation surrounding the four-time Stanley Cup champion's pseudo-retirement.

"We are obviously very pleased that Scotty has chosen to come back and play," said Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke. "He earned the right to take time in making a decision, one that was clearly difficult for him."

The three-time all-star has not played this season after capturing the Conn Smythe trophy last season while helping lead the Ducks to their first Stanley Cup in franchise history. He has been under suspension by the team after failing to report to Ducks training camp as he has mulled retirement.
Related Info

* Blog: Ducks have some work to do
* Back On The Pond
* Making It Official

"I'm excited to be rejoining my teammates and getting back on the ice," said Niedermayer. "I would like to thank the Samuelis, Brian Burke and especially my teammates for their patience while I wrestled with this very difficult decision."

The 34-year old Niedermayer lead all defencemen in scoring last season with 15 goals, and 69 points in 79 games. He was a finalist for the Norris trophy while setting career highs in goals, assists and points. He also played in the All-Star game.

Niedermayer had been skating for the past few weeks with former team mates Travis Green and Jeff Friesen. Niedermayer is under contract with the Ducks until 2009. If the former returned, he would be paid about $4 million of his $6.75-million salary this season.

Niedermayer will skate tomorrow at the Ducks' practice facility on Thursday morning and work out with strength coach Sean Skahan until the Ducks return from a three-game road trip. Then he'll begin practising with the team.

"The player owes us, in this case, 21 days of training camp. But it's our discretion what number of days of that 21 that the player has to fulfill," Burke said. "Scotty's status does not change. He is still a suspended player, and is not a roster player until we say he is. We'll see how his fitness levels are and then we'll make a decision. Given his conditioning fanaticism, my guess is we're looking at seven to 10 days and we'll see him in a game next week."

The return of the Ducks' former Captain would be a big boost to a team that is currently treading water in the Western Conference. The Ducks currently sit 11th in the West and out of the playoff picture. In 1,053 career games split between the Devils and Ducks, Niedermayer has 140 goals and 608 points.

"Getting news like this and adding someone like that can be a huge boost to our confidence and our mental awareness, whatever you want to call it," Ducks defenceman Sean O'Donnell told THE CANADIAN PRESS. "We welcome him back with open arms. Anything we can do to make our team better."

The smooth-skating blueliner was awarded the Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defenceman in 2003-04 and captured three Stanley Cups in 12 seasons with the New Jersey Devils before joining Anaheim as a free agent in 2005.

The future Hall of Famer has captured every major hockey title there is to win - the Memorial Cup, world junior championship, world championship, Olympic gold, World Cup of Hockey and the Stanley Cup.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #264
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Check it out
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #265
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

thanks bronx thats 30 seconds fo my life ill never get back
Old 12-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #266
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

And yet you took the time to tell me that would be 37 seconds you won't get back.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #267
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
thats 30 seconds fo my life ill never get back

that's what she said?
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #268
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Canucks respond to allegations

Throughout this matter, the Canucks and their counsel have refrained from public comment, preferring to have this matter dealt with in the courts. The Canucks organization feels compelled at this time to respond to some of the inaccuracies in the media stories relating to court documents and the allegations made in the proposed Claim.

Contrary to impressions made by some reports these allegations are not yet formally before a court and will require a court order before they are permitted to be made. The Ontario Superior Court will be considering whether to allow these amendments on January 21, 2008.

We believe that many of the proposed allegations now being advanced on behalf of Mr. Moore against the Vancouver Canucks are inaccurate or speculative. The Vancouver Canucks believe they are intended to inflame the public and create further media interest in the case.

If on January 21, 2008 the Court permits these allegations to be advanced by Mr. Moore, these allegations will be defended vigorously by the Canucks.

At no time did the Vancouver Canucks organization or any of its management and employees, including former Coach Mr. Crawford, encourage or promote the incident that occurred between Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore on March 8, 2004.
>> team release

Amnesia also seems to have beset many of the players involved in that game.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #269
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Dear Main Stream Media:

I'd just like to start by saying how very, truly sorry I am about this whole "blogging" thing. I didn't realize that one schmo typing internet gibberish from his parent's basement would cause such a fuss. Really, I'm sorry. We used to be such good friends, too. Remember when you would meet me on the TV in my living room after class? Even late at night, you were there for me with your ever-running Sportscenters. How did everything go so horribly wrong?

We used to understand each other and help each other out. You with your funny Kenny Mayne, helping me to forget about my troubles. In turn, I watched your shows, read your newspaper and magazine articles. One time, I even bought one of your Sports Illustrated TV offers because you were going through a rough patch!

Actually, I guess the real question is, when did you change?

I've always been here, giving in to your new features and mediums. When the internet first came about, I visited your official website loyally looking for the newest news and views. I remember way back when I used to look forward to the morning paper everyday to see if my team had won on its west coast road trip.

Back then, you used to be cool. You used to be hip. Then, one day, I started to make some new friends. I branched out and became more social. I grew up. The whole time, you did nothing but ignore me and tell me how we were falling apart. Now, it's like we don't even know each other. Sure, when we pass on the street you're holding hands with that guy, but it's OK. I'm over it. We smile and nod as we walk by each other, but then I can hear you say horrible things behind my back. Things like, "I wish you didn't exist," "you're always making **** up" and "you can never be as good as me." You know something? That hurts. That really freaking hurts.

What happened? It's not like I'm trying to step on your turf. I never claimed to be a journalist. I never thought for a second that I could do your job better than you. And heck, nowadays you're all over the TV. I would kill to be on TV! I would never mess with your gigs. You gave me my start for God's sake! I wouldn't know anything about sports if it wasn't for you. It's just that I have a real passion for sports. I love them so much, that I need them 24/7. I need to watch them, hear about them, read about them, talk about them and now, type about them. I guess that's just what happens when all you ever did was feed me sports all these years, simply encouraging me to watch, read and talk about them more and more. Just because you're old and out of touch doesn't mean we can't still be friends. Heck, maybe all you really need is a make over!

But really, come on. You are equally to blame when it comes to making things up. You're starting to try and imitate me too, with your "media blogs." Don't even get me started on this you two-timer. All I will say is, isn't imitation the most sincere form of flattery?
Wait. No, stop. I didn't mean that. I'm sorry.

Look, I could sit here and blame you all I want, but that's not going to change anything. The last thing I want to do is fight with you. I can't stand it when we fight. What we need is a solution. Yes, that would be a good, positive start. How about this... I promise to stop playa hatin on you so much, if you'll just get off my back and let me do my thing. I still watch you. I still read your columns, especially the online ones (I even link to them!!). Maybe we could even collaborate on some stories. Heck, I'll man up and apologize in front of everyone. How does that sound?

No? You don't like that idea?

Please, honey. Be reasonable! Everyone knows that you can't stop change and progress. Sometimes things are just meant to be a certain way. Look, I want what's best for you. That's why I want you to come on over here and try out blogging for yourself. What if...

What?? I'm a dirty cheating back stabber?

Well fine, then. Have it your way. Maybe I'll see you at the class reunion in twenty years. Oh, wait. No I won't, cause you'll be long gone by then. Long gone and forgotten. How do you like them apples??

Sincerely,

Kevin
Old 12-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #270
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Westcott 'ready'

Ok duvie you got injured and delayed you a** kicking by parker so we will have to re shedule for jan 20th (see ya then!)

Defenseman Duvie Westcott declared himself ready to play after practice yesterday.

"I'm ready when they're ready," Westcott said of the coaching staff. "I don't consider the last two hits I took to be concussions. It's been a little bit overblown."

Westcott, who said he has had four to six career concussions, is valuable to the Blue Jackets because of his skill and his right-hand shot. In his 11 games, the Blue Jackets' power play is 11 of 51 (21.6 percent). In the 17 games he has missed, it's 11 of 90 (12.2).

If Westcott doesn't return tonight, Hitchcock said he could return Monday against the Anaheim Ducks.

He's not worried about Westcott's next jarring hit.

"I don't look at it like that," Hitchcock said. "If he's cleared to play, he's cleared to play. It means he's OK."
Old 12-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #271
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default 9 years old

9 Nine years old
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #272
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Minor hockey coach suspended 3 years

OUCH!

An assistant coach has been suspended three years for his involvement in a bench-clearing hockey brawl between two teams of eight-year-old players.

Randy Brant of the Niagara Falls Thunder will not be allowed to coach or be involved in minor hockey in any way after leaving the bench during the melee in a tournament in Guelph, Ont., on Nov. 23.

The suspension was handed down by the Ontario Minor Hockey Association over the weekend.

The Greater Toronto Hockey League is expected to make an announcement later Monday regarding the Duffield Devils' involvement in the brawl.

Niagara Falls coach Bob Chamberlain has been reinstated after serving his four-game suspension stemming from the incident.

The controversy stems from a game between Duffield and Niagara Falls, two novice AAA teams, during which things got out of hand in the third period.

A videotape of the brawl, which aired on CBC Newsworld last week, showed the young players throwing punches at each other. An altercation is also visible on the players' bench that appears to involve parents and coaches.

Local police had to be called in to help break up the fracas.

There were allegations that a Niagara Falls coach spat on a rival coach and that both sent many of their players from the bench onto the ice during the fracas.

The police investigated but eventually decided that no criminal charges would be laid.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #273
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Battaglia on waivers

This could be a good pick up for somebody bates is a solid role player..

TIM WHARNSBY

Globe and Mail Update

December 10, 2007 at 12:28 PM EST

The Toronto Maple Leafs have placed left wing Bates Battaglia on waivers at noon ET Monday. If he has not claimed by noon Tuesday the veteran can be sent down to the Toronto Marlies of the AHL.

Battaglia, 31, has played in only 13 of the Leafs 30 games this season and has no points. He has dressed for only two of the past 17 games and will not likely dress for the Leafs game against the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Air Canada Centre tonight.

With a relatively healthy lineup, the Leafs also have a seldom-used John Pohl at their disposal. He has been a healthy scratch seven times this season.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #274
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Recchi looking to prove Penguins wrong

The 39-year-old NHL veteran will be in uniform on Wednesday night for the Atlanta Thrashers when they host the Boston Bruins. Recchi, claimed off re-entry waivers by the Thrashers on Saturday, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he believes Penguins coach Michel Therrien was too quick to remove him from the top line and No. 1 power-play unit.

"They'll see," Recchi told the paper. "I didn't get 68 points for no reason last year. In the first seven or eight games [this season], I had a point a game until the coach decided to move me down two or three lines for whatever reason. I still haven't figured it out."

Recchi, who has two goals and six assists in 19 appearances this season, was a healthy scratch for the Penguins in six of seven games prior to being waived on Tuesday. The team had made attempts to trade him prior to that.

The Thrashers grabbed Recchi two days after he initially cleared waivers and was designated for assignment in the American Hockey League. The team will pay only half of his $1.75 million salary, while the Penguins are responsible for paying the other half of the one-year contract.

The two-time Stanley Cup champion, who is playing for his fifth NHL team, also believes he has some quality hockey left in him after this season.

"I want to play a little longer," he told he Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "This year, another year, a couple years - I want to put those people who doubt you to rest."

Recchi has played more than 1,350 NHL games with Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Montreal and Carolina. He won Stanley Cups with the Penguins in 1991 and the Hurricanes in 2006.

The Thrashers and Penguins hook up for three more games this season, on Jan. 12 and 30 and March 2.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #275
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Bryzgalovs first game vs the kings is a shutout...

You can keep posting this every time they play the Kings. Ducks are screwing the Kings even when they dont play them! Sucks to have to get rid of him but the benefits of having Bryzgalovs screw the Kings every time he is in the pipes is priceless. Scotty coming back should (hopefully) break up this stalemate near the top of our division. I hope he is ready in time for the Wild on Friday. BTW: if anyone is coming into Anaheim for a hockey game, let me know as I have 4 season tickets. They are up on top but right on Center Ice. Good to have them before the bandwagon jumped on in May.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote