The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Default Delmon Young dealt for Matt Garza in 6 player deal

The Tampa Bay Rays send right fielder Delmon Young, shortstop Brendan Harris and minor league outfielder Jason Pridie to the Minnesota Twins for pitcher Matt Garza, shortstop Jason Bartlett and minor league reliever Eduardo Morlan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3131988

The Twins are pitching deep and haven't been able to produce position players to complement Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer. Delmon Young is a good contact hitter, but I don't think he'll develop into a superstar and match the hype he's received. Rays had a glut of outfielders and they unload one of their problem childs. They get a #2 starter in Garza and a power bullpen arm in Morlan. Tampa Bay's pitching has always been their Achilles heel.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Wow.

I think this is a solid deal for both. Before Morlan was included in place of Rincon, I liked it slightly more for Minne. Apparently Morlan was their future closer, so when you give that up instead of an old and busted Rincon that kinda hurts.

Still, fairly solid for both IMO. What's Tampa gonna do with all their SP now?
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

They're in a spot with Johan now, though. Deal him and further deplete the vaunted Twins pitching or re-sign him? I find the talk of the NYY trade centering around Melky Cabrera laughable, but if they could get someone like Hughes and Cano...

I saw that the asking price for Seattle would be AJ, Clement, and Brandon Morrow. Yeaaa screw that.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
They're in a spot with Johan now, though. Deal him and further deplete the vaunted Twins pitching or re-sign him? I find the talk of the NYY trade centering around Melky Cabrera laughable, but if they could get someone like Hughes and Cano...

I saw that the asking price for Seattle would be AJ, Clement, and Brandon Morrow. Yeaaa screw that.
The Twins should just pay him. He wants Zito money and that's a bargain for his services. Zito is a fringe top 15-20 starter at best. They have a new park in the works. Carl Pohlad owes it to the fans to keep him.

If Francisco Liriano returns at full strength, they have enough depth to survive in pitching without Johan and they'll probably land a Phil Hughes-Clay Buchholz-Nick Adenhart in return. I don't think their demands are too much to ask. They should ask for the farm. Santana is the best pitcher in baseball. He's a proven commodity and the surest thing out there. I wouldn't deal him to the Yankees unless they gave up Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Jose Tabata.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote