The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #26
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,304

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
East coast bias is not a figment of our imaginations.
Yes. It's just the way it is. Most of it is subconscious but in certain instances there are cases where they'll be damned if they give an award to a team west of the Mississippi.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #27
-Slap-
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 31,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
Being a diehard Rockies fan, I was more disappointed with Tulo not winning the ROY.

Holliday's road/home splits weren't as good as Rollins and Rollins plays a more demanding position. If you take Rollins away from the Phillies, they are a vastly different team. If you take Holliday away from the Rockies they are a different team, but the Rockies had Atkins and Hawpe and Helton to maybe pickup some of the slack.

Tulo losing the ROY was a joke, since Braun missed two months of the year and still committed the most errors in the majors.

Its crazy how in the ROY they gave the award to the more offensive player/terrible fielding over the great fielding/good hitting player, and in the MVP they gave the award to the good fielding/hitting player over the average fielding/awesome hitter.

Dumb writers.
The Rockies won 21 out of 22 games down the stretch and Holliday batted .367 with 12 homers, 30 RBI and 29 runs scored in September. He also batted .429 with four bombs and eight RBI in Rollins' bandbox of a stadium, with two more bombs there while the Rocks rolled Philly in three straight.

Typical east coast media bias bull****.

Rollins pulled off quite the post season triple crown: He was handed Tulo's Gold Glove, he was handed Hanley's Silver Slugger and he was handed Holliday's MVP.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #28
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,759

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Wow..you guys still care abt that sport...
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #29
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...
 
BMF Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 11,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Wow..you guys still care abt that sport...
No we still care about our Rockies!
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #30
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
The Rockies won 21 out of 22 games down the stretch and Holliday batted .367 with 12 homers, 30 RBI and 29 runs scored in September. He also batted .429 with four bombs and eight RBI in Rollins' bandbox of a stadium, with two more bombs there while the Rocks rolled Philly in three straight.
Typical east coast media bias bull****.

Rollins pulled off quite the post season triple crown: He was handed Tulo's Gold Glove, he was handed Hanley's Silver Slugger and he was handed Holliday's MVP.
Votes have to be in before the playoffs start so its imaterial who did what in the playoffs.

Holliday v. Rollins is a valid argument for either side. I'm sure the standard logic behind picking Rollins over Holliday is that Holliday had the benefit of Coors (most sports reporters seem unaware that Philly is the #2 offensive ballpark in baseball) and that he's a corner OF with only ok fielding skills. Rollins isn't nearly the hitter, but he was still a premier hitter in the NL and he was arguably the best baserunner and defensive SS in all of baseball. His team also won their division while the Rockies needed a hot September just to get a playoff game with SD.

I think the last fact is particularly important because as I said, ballots need to be in by the end of the regular season. So all those writters who don't believe in giving MVP to a player on a non-playoff team wasn't assured that Holliday met such criteria. I think this was a big blow against him as well.

Braun getting ROY over Tulo is stupid though. Thats a very good reason for b****ing. He hit marginally better but played in 40 less games and was a defensive butcher while Tulo is a future GG.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #31
TomServo
Ring of Famer
 
TomServo's Avatar
 
Dancing is Forbidden!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,111
Default

Quote:
Wow..you guys still care abt that sport...
not so much the sport as our home team and its players.
im not as disapointed because i could see all this crap coming a mile away. no gold glovers no roy and now the trifecta..no mvp.
we get screwed annualy by the football hof voters,why should baseball be and different?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #32
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead
 
MechanicalBull's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,797
Default

Shouldn't the MVP have gone to Willie Randolph and the Mets for blowing that size of lead in the division and giving Rollins and the Phills the division? or maybe Tom Glavine
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #33
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,304

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Rollins is this year's Dirk Nowitzki
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #34
vailitaliano319
thereech
 
Making Moves

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
East coast bias is not a figment of our imaginations.
Really? If it is a figment of our imagination why did the Rockies (best percentage wise defense in the HISTORY of the game not have a single gold golver? Tulo had defensively the best ever rookie season as a SS, ELEVEN errors, he was the opening day starter. Jimmy Rollins, David Wright and Derek ****ing Lee... well lets see thats New York, Philadelphia and Chicago, those are much bigger markets and there is a bias. In my opinion the Rockies could have had up to 3 Gold Glovers, Atkins, Tulo and Helton, but I guess having the best fielding team ever doesn't count for much.
vailitaliano319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #35
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...
 
BMF Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 11,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME
Default

he said it's not a figment but you're exaclty right.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #36
-Slap-
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 31,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Votes have to be in before the playoffs start so its imaterial who did what in the playoffs.

Holliday v. Rollins is a valid argument for either side. I'm sure the standard logic behind picking Rollins over Holliday is that Holliday had the benefit of Coors (most sports reporters seem unaware that Philly is the #2 offensive ballpark in baseball) and that he's a corner OF with only ok fielding skills. Rollins isn't nearly the hitter, but he was still a premier hitter in the NL and he was arguably the best baserunner and defensive SS in all of baseball. His team also won their division while the Rockies needed a hot September just to get a playoff game with SD.

I think the last fact is particularly important because as I said, ballots need to be in by the end of the regular season. So all those writters who don't believe in giving MVP to a player on a non-playoff team wasn't assured that Holliday met such criteria. I think this was a big blow against him as well.

Braun getting ROY over Tulo is stupid though. Thats a very good reason for b****ing. He hit marginally better but played in 40 less games and was a defensive butcher while Tulo is a future GG.
Nobody said post season stats count. I was just pointing out Philly's ballpark is nearly as offensively tilted as Coors. I'm sure plenty of hacks tried to give Rollins the big edge on defense.

Braun over Tulo was ridiculous, but to say Braun hit marginally better is inaccurate. Braun was a beast at the plate and he stole bases, too. This should have been counterbalanced by Tulo's Gold Glove deserving defense, though. You have to go back to Butch Hobson's rookie season to find a third baseman who played defense as poorly as Braun. You have to go back to about 1920 to find anybody worse.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #37
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,536
Default

Rollins plays at a prime defensive postion (and plays it well), Holliday plays LF, where slow infields go to die....


Really folks, Tutz, yes the Rockies were robbed there but this was pretty much the right call.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #38
-Slap-
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 31,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Rollins plays at a prime defensive postion (and plays it well), Holliday plays LF, where slow infields go to die....


Really folks, Tutz, yes the Rockies were robbed there but this was pretty much the right call.
If you can't even get the names (or nicknames) of the Rockies players right, how can you say who's qualified to win what?
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #39
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Rollins plays at a prime defensive postion (and plays it well), Holliday plays LF, where slow infields go to die....


Really folks, Tutz, yes the Rockies were robbed there but this was pretty much the right call.
That blows. Read the stats again. Rollins looked like duck soup in the Phillies series.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #40
vailitaliano319
thereech
 
Making Moves

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
he said it's not a figment but you're exaclty right.
yeah i ****ed that one up... but yeah I do think Im right, look at the numbers, and its mind boggling, and ROY Im so ticked about that I dont even care to bring it up
vailitaliano319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #41
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
If you can't even get the names (or nicknames) of the Rockies players right, how can you say who's qualified to win what?
not a rockies fan so why would I care about getting his nickname right? Do you get all the nicknames right for the Faiders?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #42
vailitaliano319
thereech
 
Making Moves

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
Nobody said post season stats count. I was just pointing out Philly's ballpark is nearly as offensively tilted as Coors. I'm sure plenty of hacks tried to give Rollins the big edge on defense.

Braun over Tulo was ridiculous, but to say Braun hit marginally better is inaccurate. Braun was a beast at the plate and he stole bases, too. This should have been counterbalanced by Tulo's Gold Glove deserving defense, though. You have to go back to Butch Hobson's rookie season to find a third baseman who played defense as poorly as Braun. You have to go back to about 1920 to find anybody worse.
I couldn't agree with you more, what did he have like 33 errors in FORTY less games, he was far and away the worst defensive 3rd basemen in ALL of baseball...for as much as people talk about how good he was offensively, not being called up till the 25th of May, why do you not hear anything about his D?
vailitaliano319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #43
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
That blows. Read the stats again. Rollins looked like duck soup in the Phillies series.....
Let me get this right, you are saying that Rollins looked like crap in one series in the Post Season (which doesn't count for the voting)?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #44
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy
 
Billy Clyde Puckett's Avatar
 
Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: between 5,000 and 10,000 feet elevation
Posts: 12,480

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Rollins plays at a prime defensive postion (and plays it well), Holliday plays LF, where slow infields go to die....


Really folks, Tutz, yes the Rockies were robbed there but this was pretty much the right call.
Finkle is from the EAST COAST - a pox on him!!!
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #45
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
Finkle is from the EAST COAST - a pox on him!!!
shh....not so loud I'll lose my street cred
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #46
Dukes
Ring of Famer
 
Dukes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,163
Default

The most rediculous thing about all of this is Brian Braun was voted ROY because of his offensive stats alone. Yet Jimmy Rollins was voted MVP because he was a better "all around" player than Matt Holliday. Talk about hipocracy and a double standard of the highest order.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #47
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
not a rockies fan so why would I care about getting his nickname right? Do you get all the nicknames right for the Faiders?
YES!!!

Sleepy, Dopey, Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy, Bashful, Happy...


And FEDELBAUM!!!!!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #48
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Let me get this right, you are saying that Rollins looked like crap in one series in the Post Season (which doesn't count for the voting)?
Since it has been stated so many times, I am aware that the post-season "doesn't count" tor the biased East Coast Potentates of Mediocre Media and their minions. Game in and Game out, Holliday was the MVP and TULO mad incredible plays look common place.


So there!!!!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #49
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer
 
phillybroncosnut's Avatar
 
The HOF is BLIND!!!

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,961
Default

Wow.... So bitter. Guess I would be wasting time posting here since it will obviously fall on deaf ears.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #50
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Wow.... So bitter. Guess I would be wasting time posting here since it will obviously fall on deaf ears.
not on me but I am on the east coast too.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Denver Broncos