The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #26
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
East coast bias is not a figment of our imaginations.
Yes. It's just the way it is. Most of it is subconscious but in certain instances there are cases where they'll be damned if they give an award to a team west of the Mississippi.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #27
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
Being a diehard Rockies fan, I was more disappointed with Tulo not winning the ROY.

Holliday's road/home splits weren't as good as Rollins and Rollins plays a more demanding position. If you take Rollins away from the Phillies, they are a vastly different team. If you take Holliday away from the Rockies they are a different team, but the Rockies had Atkins and Hawpe and Helton to maybe pickup some of the slack.

Tulo losing the ROY was a joke, since Braun missed two months of the year and still committed the most errors in the majors.

Its crazy how in the ROY they gave the award to the more offensive player/terrible fielding over the great fielding/good hitting player, and in the MVP they gave the award to the good fielding/hitting player over the average fielding/awesome hitter.

Dumb writers.
The Rockies won 21 out of 22 games down the stretch and Holliday batted .367 with 12 homers, 30 RBI and 29 runs scored in September. He also batted .429 with four bombs and eight RBI in Rollins' bandbox of a stadium, with two more bombs there while the Rocks rolled Philly in three straight.

Typical east coast media bias bull****.

Rollins pulled off quite the post season triple crown: He was handed Tulo's Gold Glove, he was handed Hanley's Silver Slugger and he was handed Holliday's MVP.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #28
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Wow..you guys still care abt that sport...
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #29
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
No we still care about our Rockies!
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #30
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
The Rockies won 21 out of 22 games down the stretch and Holliday batted .367 with 12 homers, 30 RBI and 29 runs scored in September. He also batted .429 with four bombs and eight RBI in Rollins' bandbox of a stadium, with two more bombs there while the Rocks rolled Philly in three straight.
Typical east coast media bias bull****.

Rollins pulled off quite the post season triple crown: He was handed Tulo's Gold Glove, he was handed Hanley's Silver Slugger and he was handed Holliday's MVP.
Votes have to be in before the playoffs start so its imaterial who did what in the playoffs.

Holliday v. Rollins is a valid argument for either side. I'm sure the standard logic behind picking Rollins over Holliday is that Holliday had the benefit of Coors (most sports reporters seem unaware that Philly is the #2 offensive ballpark in baseball) and that he's a corner OF with only ok fielding skills. Rollins isn't nearly the hitter, but he was still a premier hitter in the NL and he was arguably the best baserunner and defensive SS in all of baseball. His team also won their division while the Rockies needed a hot September just to get a playoff game with SD.

I think the last fact is particularly important because as I said, ballots need to be in by the end of the regular season. So all those writters who don't believe in giving MVP to a player on a non-playoff team wasn't assured that Holliday met such criteria. I think this was a big blow against him as well.

Braun getting ROY over Tulo is stupid though. Thats a very good reason for b****ing. He hit marginally better but played in 40 less games and was a defensive butcher while Tulo is a future GG.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #31
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Quote:
not so much the sport as our home team and its players.
im not as disapointed because i could see all this crap coming a mile away. no gold glovers no roy and now the trifecta..no mvp.
we get screwed annualy by the football hof voters,why should baseball be and different?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #32
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Shouldn't the MVP have gone to Willie Randolph and the Mets for blowing that size of lead in the division and giving Rollins and the Phills the division? or maybe Tom Glavine
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #33
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Rollins is this year's Dirk Nowitzki
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #34
vailitaliano319
thereech

Making Moves

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
East coast bias is not a figment of our imaginations.
Really? If it is a figment of our imagination why did the Rockies (best percentage wise defense in the HISTORY of the game not have a single gold golver? Tulo had defensively the best ever rookie season as a SS, ELEVEN errors, he was the opening day starter. Jimmy Rollins, David Wright and Derek ****ing Lee... well lets see thats New York, Philadelphia and Chicago, those are much bigger markets and there is a bias. In my opinion the Rockies could have had up to 3 Gold Glovers, Atkins, Tulo and Helton, but I guess having the best fielding team ever doesn't count for much.
vailitaliano319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #35
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

he said it's not a figment but you're exaclty right.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #36
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Votes have to be in before the playoffs start so its imaterial who did what in the playoffs.

Holliday v. Rollins is a valid argument for either side. I'm sure the standard logic behind picking Rollins over Holliday is that Holliday had the benefit of Coors (most sports reporters seem unaware that Philly is the #2 offensive ballpark in baseball) and that he's a corner OF with only ok fielding skills. Rollins isn't nearly the hitter, but he was still a premier hitter in the NL and he was arguably the best baserunner and defensive SS in all of baseball. His team also won their division while the Rockies needed a hot September just to get a playoff game with SD.

I think the last fact is particularly important because as I said, ballots need to be in by the end of the regular season. So all those writters who don't believe in giving MVP to a player on a non-playoff team wasn't assured that Holliday met such criteria. I think this was a big blow against him as well.

Braun getting ROY over Tulo is stupid though. Thats a very good reason for b****ing. He hit marginally better but played in 40 less games and was a defensive butcher while Tulo is a future GG.
Nobody said post season stats count. I was just pointing out Philly's ballpark is nearly as offensively tilted as Coors. I'm sure plenty of hacks tried to give Rollins the big edge on defense.

Braun over Tulo was ridiculous, but to say Braun hit marginally better is inaccurate. Braun was a beast at the plate and he stole bases, too. This should have been counterbalanced by Tulo's Gold Glove deserving defense, though. You have to go back to Butch Hobson's rookie season to find a third baseman who played defense as poorly as Braun. You have to go back to about 1920 to find anybody worse.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #37
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Rollins plays at a prime defensive postion (and plays it well), Holliday plays LF, where slow infields go to die....

Really folks, Tutz, yes the Rockies were robbed there but this was pretty much the right call.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #38
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Rollins plays at a prime defensive postion (and plays it well), Holliday plays LF, where slow infields go to die....

Really folks, Tutz, yes the Rockies were robbed there but this was pretty much the right call.
If you can't even get the names (or nicknames) of the Rockies players right, how can you say who's qualified to win what?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #39
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:

That blows. Read the stats again. Rollins looked like duck soup in the Phillies series.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #40
vailitaliano319
thereech

Making Moves

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
he said it's not a figment but you're exaclty right.
yeah i ****ed that one up... but yeah I do think Im right, look at the numbers, and its mind boggling, and ROY Im so ticked about that I dont even care to bring it up
Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #41
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
If you can't even get the names (or nicknames) of the Rockies players right, how can you say who's qualified to win what?
not a rockies fan so why would I care about getting his nickname right? Do you get all the nicknames right for the Faiders?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #42
vailitaliano319
thereech

Making Moves

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Nobody said post season stats count. I was just pointing out Philly's ballpark is nearly as offensively tilted as Coors. I'm sure plenty of hacks tried to give Rollins the big edge on defense.

Braun over Tulo was ridiculous, but to say Braun hit marginally better is inaccurate. Braun was a beast at the plate and he stole bases, too. This should have been counterbalanced by Tulo's Gold Glove deserving defense, though. You have to go back to Butch Hobson's rookie season to find a third baseman who played defense as poorly as Braun. You have to go back to about 1920 to find anybody worse.
I couldn't agree with you more, what did he have like 33 errors in FORTY less games, he was far and away the worst defensive 3rd basemen in ALL of baseball...for as much as people talk about how good he was offensively, not being called up till the 25th of May, why do you not hear anything about his D?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #43
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
That blows. Read the stats again. Rollins looked like duck soup in the Phillies series.....
Let me get this right, you are saying that Rollins looked like crap in one series in the Post Season (which doesn't count for the voting)?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #44
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:

Finkle is from the EAST COAST - a pox on him!!!
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #45
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Finkle is from the EAST COAST - a pox on him!!!
shh....not so loud I'll lose my street cred
Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #46
Dukes
Ring of Famer

The most rediculous thing about all of this is Brian Braun was voted ROY because of his offensive stats alone. Yet Jimmy Rollins was voted MVP because he was a better "all around" player than Matt Holliday. Talk about hipocracy and a double standard of the highest order.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #47
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
not a rockies fan so why would I care about getting his nickname right? Do you get all the nicknames right for the Faiders?
YES!!!

Sleepy, Dopey, Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy, Bashful, Happy...

And FEDELBAUM!!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #48
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Let me get this right, you are saying that Rollins looked like crap in one series in the Post Season (which doesn't count for the voting)?
Since it has been stated so many times, I am aware that the post-season "doesn't count" tor the biased East Coast Potentates of Mediocre Media and their minions. Game in and Game out, Holliday was the MVP and TULO mad incredible plays look common place.

So there!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #49
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Wow.... So bitter. Guess I would be wasting time posting here since it will obviously fall on deaf ears.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #50
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Wow.... So bitter. Guess I would be wasting time posting here since it will obviously fall on deaf ears.
not on me but I am on the east coast too.....