The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #151
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Watching the flames/wild tilt and all i can say is the wild are a freak machine question is can it go the distance.

Well the flames came back and beat the wild lol........

Last edited by Bronx33; 10-25-2007 at 06:45 PM..
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #152
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I just thought this was pretty cool...

Link

Telus has designed a interactive website that allows you to follow your favorite QMJHL team, and watch their games streamed live on the internet. So the next time you want to see the top prospect from your favorite NHL team.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #153
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Now this is just funny.....

Monstervskid
Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #154
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Americans looking at another strong draft

Link

A Chris Pronger-size defenseman, a center with NHL in his blood and the rugged son of a former college football standout give the American hockey program a chance to continue the trend of strong NHL draft showings.

Based on early season reviews, there seem to be four to six Americans with strong first-round potential, led by 6-7 defenseman Tyler Myers of the Western Hockey League and Boston University center Colin Wilson. He is the son of Carey Wilson, who played 13 seasons in the NHL with Calgary, Hartford and the New York Rangers.

Myers is a native Texan whose family moved to Alberta because his dad worked in the oil industry. Right now he's probably rated in 10 to 16 range, but some believe he has a chance to be another Pronger.

"He's a big kid and he skates well for his size," said Detroit Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill. "He handles the puck well. He's intriguing. Usually kids his size stumble around, but he's pretty smooth."

HOCKEY BLOG: A look at the top 2008 draft prospects

The majority view on Myers is that he is a possible top 10 pick, but the minority view is that he could climb as high as fourth or fifth in the draft.

Wilson played last season for the U.S. National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., and he's considered a safe pick. There is no doubt he's going to be a solid NHL performer, although there are some minor concerns about his skating ability.

"He's a special player," said John Hynes, a coach in the U.S. program. "He will never get out-competed. But what gets underestimated about him is that he can make big plays and score. He's a pretty good offensive talent."

Another potential top 10 American draft pick is 6-2, 200-pound, rough-and-tumble defenseman Zach Bogosian, whose father, Ike, was co-captain of the 1981 Syracuse football team along with former New York Giant great Joe Morris. An upstate New Yorker, Bogosian now plays for the Peterborough Petes in the Ontario Hockey League.

"(Bogosian) is a tenacious competitor and he has a good sense of the game," Hynes said. "He moves his feet well for a big player. He has a lot of tools, but what you notice first is the competitive edge to his game."

The fourth-rated American is probably Jimmy Hayes, a 6-4, 200-pound power forward whose ranking has slipped because of a poor start.

"He's very committed, but his next step is to be able to use his size offensively, like when he has the puck down low around the net," Hynes said.

It's his misfortune that his draft year comes a year after James vanRiemsdyk, another big-bodied American forward, who was taken No. 2 overall by the Philadelphia Flyers. It's difficult to measure up to vanRiemdsyk, who has more polish and a better finishing touch as a scorer.

"They are two different players," Hynes said. "VanRiemsdyk doesn't have to have a ton of impact every shift to be effective. Jimmy is more of a regular blue-collar power forward. He has to be physical and use energy. That's when he's at his best."

Other potential first-round picks include Phil McRae, son of former NHL player Basil McRae who is playing in London, Ontario, and U.S. Under-18 team player Justin Florek, a 6-4 forward. He's also off to a slow start, "But in his prime he will be a good hard power forward," Hynes said. "He works at it and understands the game."

Some scouts like Vinny Saponari, a hard-working, two-way player with decent hands in traffic.

There are other intriguing players rated in the second round, Plymouth (Mich.) Whalers player A.J. Jenks and puck-handling defenseman Aaron Ness of Roseau (Minn.) High School.

A wild card might be Grant Scott of the U.S. Under-18 program, a 6-4 player who was switched from defense to forward. "He has adjusted well," Hynes said. "He's an aggressive player by nature. It's been easier to use his aggressiveness and speed more up front."

Right now it appears that the Americans won't come close to matching last year's unprecedented strong draft showing. With Patrick Kane (Chicago) and vanRiemsdyk in the first two picks and 10 Americans going in the first round, it was the best draft day in American hockey history.

Nearly 30% of the players chosen in that draft were American. In 2006, 10 Americans also were selected in the first round. This is trend that USA Hockey officials would like to see continued.

Hynes says it's too early to say the Americans can't reach that 30% mark next June at the draft in Ottawa, or even too early to say that only six Americans will be selected in the first round.

"There are a lot of very good players in this class," Hynes said. "And sometimes it takes some guys longer to (develop)."

He points out that Erik Johnson, selected No. 1 by the St. Louis Blues in 2006, and vanRiemsdyk both climbed during their draft years because their play improved dramatically. American defenseman Ian Cole also made a late jump to end up as a first-round selection by the St. Louis Blues.

"There might be a couple of guys who emerge later in the season," Hynes said.

One possibility for a late rise is U.S. Under-18 team player Sean Lorentz of Littleton, Colo.. He doesn't have superior, high-grade skill, but coaches will want to play him all of the time because he always seems to make the right play at the right time. He could be this year's American sleeper, maybe moving up like Cole did last season.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #155
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avs' Leopold out with hand injury

CRAP!

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that defenseman Jordan Leopold will require wrist surgery following an injury suffered in the third period of Colorado’s 4-2 victory over the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday night at Rexall Place.

Leopold will be sidelined for approximately two months.

Meanwhile Milan Hejduk, who has missed three games with a sore back, skated with the team today and may be available to play Friday night at Calgary. Jose Theodore is scheduled to get the start in net for Colorado in place of Peter Budaj.

Last edited by Bronx33; 10-26-2007 at 02:14 PM..
Old 10-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #156
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Kings sign Dustin Brown to 6 year extension

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Kings and right wing Dustin Brown have agreed to terms on a six-year contract extension it was announced Friday by Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi. Per club policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

"Dustin is an integral part of what we are building here with the Kings," said Lombardi. "We like how he competes; we like his toughness; and we are very pleased with how his overall game has developed."

Brown, 22, has been part of the Kings organization since the club selected him in the first-round (13th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He has played in 202 career regular season games over four NHL seasons with the Kings, recording 87 points (36-51=87) and 161 penalty minutes. This season, he has eight points (4-4=8) and 11 penalty minutes in 11 games.

Brown, a 6-0, 200-pound native of Ithaca, New York, last season set career highs for goals (17), power play goals (13), assists (14), points (46), shots (195), games played (81) and time on-ice average (18:42). He led the Kings and finished second in the NHL with 258 hits. He also tied for third on the Kings with 24 takeaways.

During the 2005-06 season, his second full NHL season and his third in the League, Brown led the Kings in hits with 175 while recording 14 goals and 14 assists. In 2004-05, he played the entire season with the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League and finished second to Michael Cammalleri in scoring with 74 points (29-45=74) in 79 games. His 74 points ranked 13th in the AHL that season.

In 2003-04, Brown made his NHL debut at the age of 18, becoming the fifth youngest player to ever play for the Kings. He scored his first career NHL goal on November 23, 2003, and played in 31 games with the Kings that season.

Internationally, Brown has represented the United States at several international tournaments, including the 2006 World Championships where he led his team in goals and points; the 2004 World Championships where he earned a bronze medal; the 2003 World Junior Championships where he earned a gold medal; and the 2002 World Junior Championships where he was the youngest member of that team.
http://kings.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=341286

Whooohoooo!
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #157
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
In Wayne’s world, fighting will not be exorcized from the NHL, the notion of European expansion is unlikely and Pittsburgh’s dazzling megastar Sydney Crosby is the one young player who catches his eye the most.

Also, 10 years from now, The Great One hopes to still be doing exactly what he does today, yet with another Stanley Cup trophy in his already overflowing cache of triumphant hardware.

“My passion for the game – I love the game – is the reason why I’m here,” he said. “I wish I could still play. I don’t make any bones about it.”

Wayne Douglas Gretzky can not play professional hockey anymore, at least not to the standards he holds for himself. The 46-year-old native of Brantford, Ontario, however, is staying as close to the action as he possibly can as coach of the Phoenix Coyotes.

ADVERTISEMENT
And he simply doesn’t see any reason for that to change.

“When I retired, I retired at the right time, yet people ask me still to this day, ‘Do you miss playing?’ Yeah, I miss everything about it,” said Gretzky, speaking one-on-one. “But the closest thing to being a player is what I’m doing right now.

“It wasn’t overly exciting for me to sit upstairs, or to sit in the press box. It just wasn’t the same. Now I’m down here, I like being down here and I like being in the locker room. Eventually this is going to be successful,” he added.

Gretzky’s time in the game has taken some surprising turns, so the fact he’s leading a hockey franchise located in a desert only seems fitting in an odd way.

The Phoenix Coyotes, transplanted from the frigid winters of Winnipeg, probably weren’t the first team the player who owns 61 NHL records, four Stanley Cups, 10 scoring titles and nine MVP awards figured to guide once his career ended.

“It’s a big challenge for him, but he’s never been one to not take a challenge,” said Scotty Bowman, who with 10 Stanley Cups to his name knows something about coaching in the NHL, too. “Some people feel sorry for him, wonder why is he coaching, but hey, he explained it better, ‘If I can’t play, and I can’t, then I’m still with the team’.”

After gracing NHL rinks from1979 to 1999, Gretzky ventured into his post-playing career in search of what would keep those competitive juices flowing. Make no doubt, all the awards and accolades were as much a result of his unending desire to win as his unparalleled hockey skills.

The trick would be to find a job that could satisfy his passion.

The Phoenix franchise needed assistance and Gretzky became a part owner in 2000. By the spring of 2002, the Coyotes were in the Stanley Cup playoffs and Gretzky was again talking one-on-one in the players’ parking lot at San Jose about how quickly things had come together after his team tied the first-round series at a win apiece with a road win.

But the Coyotes have not won a playoff game since, and the franchise has undergone not one, but two do-overs. Gretzky stepped behind the bench following the 2004-05 season lost to the lockout, and he’s finding the hours to be long and the reward to be minimal so far.

“You don’t leave the rink after 2½ hours and it can be taxing when you don’t achieve the success you want, you’re left to wonder, ‘why, why why’?” Anaheim’s Randy Carlyle said.

The coach of the defending Stanley Cup champs opposed Gretzky for all but three of his 18 NHL seasons as a helmetless defenseman. He wanted to stay as close to the game as possible after his playing career ended, and chose the coaching route as well.

“We’re creatures of habit,” Carlyle said. “When you’ve played for a number of years you’re in that habit of going to the rink. And when you get away from it sometimes you miss it a bit terribly. It’s not an easy thing to step away from and go do something else.

“I think it brings you back to the game with all the emotion and passion you had for it as a player.”

Gretzky is no longer working for Mike Barnett, his long-time agent turned general manager. Barnett was fired after last season’s third straight last-place finish for the ’Yotes. Ownership’s mandate is to build a winner, remain patient, but produce results. Gretzky is at the forefront to get the job done.

“Obviously we’ve changed our focus, we’re the youngest team in the league,” Gretzky said. “We have a lot of young kids in the organization now. That part of it has been really exciting for me. There is more teaching involved now with the younger players.

“You can feel for the first time in a long time we have kids not only playing who deserve to be here, but we’ve got kids that are in our system now that one day will play on this team. And there were times we had nobody in the system who would play,” he added.

Along with a change in philosophy in Phoenix, Gretzky has changed as well. After self-analysis, and talks with his peers, Gretzky isn’t as lenient as in the past. He’s not as apt to listen and change his personal direction or instruction to the team.

“I’m probably more demanding as far as it has to be more my way,” Gretzky said. “It’s really going to take a lot for someone to change my mind. I want every player playing the exact same way and play pretty simple. We want them chasing the puck, hounding the puck and working hard.”

Phoenix lost five of its first seven games and faced the unenviable task of trying to dig out of an early hole by facing Anaheim, Dallas, St. Louis and the Stars again, three coming on the road. The Coyotes started that stretch with a surprising 1-0 win Thursday on the home ice of the Ducks, who are still considered to have more talent and depth than Phoenix despite being hampered by injury and Cup hangover.

Gretzky hopes it’s the first solid evidence that his message is being heard and applied.

“What I think I try to preach to my guys is how important practice really is,” he said. “The greatest players in the game – Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier – were always great practice players. We try to stress that as much as possible.”

Along with the challenges of rebuilding, Gretzky has had to deal with controversy off the ice. In February of 2006, Gretzky’s assistant coach and ex-NHLer Rick Tocchet was implicated in a New Jersey-based gambling ring. Barnett and even Gretzky’s wife, American-born actress Janet Jones, were found to have placed bets through Tocchet, but not on hockey. Tocchet was recently sentenced to two years of probation, and is currently suspending by the league.

“It’s a tribute to him he can handle all the tough questions people are pulling out of different directions and he still remains focused and a true ambassador of the game,” Carlyle said.

Gretzky, already in the Hall of Fame, his number 99 retired by every NHL franchise and bestowed with the Order of Canada as the country’s highest civilian honor, is completely focused on coaching and turning his franchise into a consistent winner.

He’s taken what he learned from former coaches Glen Sather, Barry Melrose, Mike Keenan; what he garnered from associate coach Barry Smith and blended that with his own beliefs to become the coach he is today.

“I say this with a great deal of respect, I know as a player sometimes you sit there and say, ‘What is this coach thinking?’ ” Gretzky said. “Sometimes as a player you don’t understand why. And I was one of those guys sometimes, I admit to that. But as a coach there are reasons you do things. There are reasons you have to do things.”

The father of five children, widely regarded as the greatest player in the history of the game, knows there is pressure to win and win now. The Coyotes have a trendy new arena in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale, which some would argue was built too far away from the majority of the team’s fan base that resides in Scottsdale.

It’s not easy to negotiate the region’s one freeway, so Gretzky & Co. have to give fans a good reason to invest the time it takes to get there.

“We have a great deal of pressure, a different kind of pressure than Edmonton and Toronto,” Gretzky said. “But the good thing about that is it really is a great sports city.

“You look at the Phoenix Suns and the exciting brand of basketball they play and the support they get. We’ve had good support for the kind of record we’ve had. So we have to keep those fans and reach out and get new fans and more fans. We have a great building, it’s a great city to live in and hockey is expanding and growing.”

Ross McKeon is the NHL editor for Yahoo! Sports. Send Ross a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 10-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #158
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

FORSBERG: BUSINESSMAN

Wherever Peter Forsberg winds up if he returns to the NHL this season, money won't be the motivating factor. Or it shouldn't be. While he is working out and trying to sort out his foot and skate issues, Forsberg also is involved in a few lucrative business ventures in Sweden. According to reports, Forsberg owns the Swedish distribution rights to the Croc footwear. He also is on the verge of launching an airline.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #159
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

He will sign with the Kings to play for Crawford Bronx...haha.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #160
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
He will sign with the Kings to play for Crawford Bronx...haha.

Who knows (it could happen)
Old 10-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #161
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Jagr placed $40,000 bets

new tell-all book reports

Link

I find it hard to believe tell-all books like the one titled Bets, Drugs and Rock & Roll - particularly when it's written by someone who's called "the father of offshore gambling."

However, those who have read parts of this new book by Steve Bodin report that the author devotes "four pages painting Rangers captain Jaromir Jagr as very active in sports betting, especially football, but never hockey."

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writer Shelly Anderson says Bodin describes games in which Jagr was later than his Rangers teammates in taking the ice because "he was on the phone in the locker room placing $40,000 bets."
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

Bodin writes that while Jagr would win or lose up to $250,000 a week, he was a poor bettor who never made money over the course of a week.

On his part, Jagr told the New York Daily News: "Probably. I was betting on the Giants back then."

Washington signed Jagr to a $77-million contract when they acquired him from Pittsburgh that ran through this season, but gave up on him three seasons later. However, the Capitals are paying $3.46 million of the salary Jagr's receiving from the Rangers. Furthermore, according to the Washington Post the deal includes an option year which is triggered if he reaches certain levels such as: (a) scores 40 regular-season goals and the Rangers win a playoff round; (b) wins the league scoring title, the Hart Trophy or the Conn Smythe Trophy; or (c) gets 84 points and New York reaches at least the second round of the playoffs.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #162
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Super Joe Sakic Reaches 1600-Point Plateau

Gretzky. Messier. Howe. Francis. Dionne. Yzerman. Lemieux.

Much like the monikers “Jordan” on the hardwood or “Montana” on the gridiron, those surnames have become synonymous with the sport of hockey, as their bearer’s rank among the most recognized and heralded players in the history of the game.

When it comes to on-ice achievements, the name Sakic doesn’t rank too far off.

Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic recorded a goal and one assist in a 3-2 overtime victory over Calgary on Friday to reach 1,600 points in his career, further cementing his legacy as one of the top players to ever lace up a pair of skates.

Sakic opened the scoring in Friday night’s game with a first-period goal – which Andrew Brunette assisted on to earn his 500th career point – and also assisted on Ryan Smyth’s overtime game winner to join the seven aforementioned current and future Hall-of-Famers in the 1,600-point club.

But Sakic’s milestone on Friday wasn’t the captain’s first monumental achievement this season.

Earlier this year, Sakic passed Phil Esposito for eighth place on the all-time points list and also broke a tie with Bobby Hull for 14th place on the career goals list – in the same game, nonetheless– with a goal and an assist on Oct. 7 vs. San Jose.

Less than a week later, the 19-year veteran recorded his 15th career hat trick in an Oct. 13 contest against the Calgary Flames, placing him only one behind Peter Stastny for the franchise record.

Next up for Sakic? The center needs 15 more assists to become only the 11th player in league history to register 1,000 helpers.

Gretzky. Messier. Howe. Francis. Dionne. Yzerman. Lemieux…Sakic.

Has a nice ring, doesn’t it?

NHL’s All-Time Points Leaders
1. Wayne Gretzky 2857
2. Mark Messier 1887
3. Gordie Howe 1850
4. Ron Francis 1798
5. Marcel Dionne 1771
6. Steve Yzerman 1755
7. Mario Lemieux 1723
8. Super Joe Sakic 1600
Old 10-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #163
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Brunette Earns 500th Career Point

Andrew Brunette has played with five different NHL clubs during his 12-year career, but a quick look at his numbers suggests that the veteran forward has found his comfort zone in the altitude of the Rocky Mountains.

Brunette, who started his career with the Washington Capitals and also made stops in Nashville, Atlanta and Minnesota before arriving in Denver, recorded his 500th career NHL point on Friday against the Calgary Flames when he assisted on Joe Sakic’s first-period goal.

“I think when I look back on my career it will be something that really sticks out in my mind,” said the Avalanche assistant captain about cracking the 500-point barrier. “But I was just happy that we came away with a victory tonight against a division opponent.”

Prior to signing with the Avalanche in August of 2005, Brunette had enjoyed a fine career. In 542 career games, the winger had posted a solid 344 points (121g/223a), good for an average of 0.63 points per game. But things took a turn for the better when Brunette became a member of the Avalanche following the 2004-05 lockout season.

The gritty winger made an immediate impact in his first season in Denver by notching 63 points (24g/39a), the second-highest total of his career (he had recorded 69 points with Minnesota in 2001-02). It also marked the second time that Brunette had topped the 60-point plateau.

For an encore, the Sudbury, Ontario, native enjoyed a career-year in 2006-07, finishing second on the Avalanche in scoring and tying for 21st in the league with 83 points on 27 goals and 56 assists – all career bests.

Brunette has averaged nearly a point per game since joining the Avalanche
It also marked the first time that Brunette had averaged a point-per-game, something that he is on pace to do again this season with 10 points (2g/8a) in 10 games. Overall during his time with the Avalanche, Brunette has totaled 156 points on 53 goals and 103 assists in 173 contests (.90 PPG), a marked improvement over his pre-Colorado numbers.

Not only has Brunette carved out his own niche in the Avalanche’s offensive system as a grinder who relishes playing behind the net, but he has also become a fixture on the club’s lineup card.

Skating in 381 straight games is no small feat, but it’s another accomplishment on the 34-year old’s impressive resume. Currently, the streak ranks as the third-longest in the NHL. Looking back even further, his resiliency becomes even more impressive, as Brunette has appeared in 654-of-666 possible regular season contests dating back to the 1997-98 campaign.

Brunette doesn’t always show up in the headlines the way other more flashy players often do, but the durability and productivity he’s displayed during his three seasons in Colorado have made him one of the Avalanche’s unsung heroes.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #164
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Gaborik sidelined by groin injury; Backstrom out, too

DENVER — Marian Gaborik injured his groin in practice Saturday and will miss Sunday's game against the Colorado Avalanche at Pepsi Center.

General manager Doug Risebrough said he made the decision to sit Gaborik as a precaution. The right wing is officially listed as day to day, which is how his 34-day layoff last season started.

"I'm definitely not going to miss 40 games again," Gaborik said.

Risebrough said Gaborik will see the team doctor when the team returns to the Twin Cities on Monday. He has not played a full season since going a career-high 81 games in 2002-03, limited to 65, 65 and 48 games because of upper leg injuries.

"He felt the last two games were really taxing. He's not comfortable with his legs right now," Risebrough said of Gaborik. "He tried this morning and he came off, and I talked to him and I made the decision, because I don't want it to progress to the point where he's missing lots of games."

Gaborik has played in all 10 of the Wild's games this season, scoring one goal among eight points.

Asked if he thinks the injury is similar to the groin injury that sent him to two specialists over two months of rehabilitation last season, Gaborik said, "Oh, no. It's not that."

That wasn't the only bad news the Wild absorbed at practice Saturday. No. 1 goaltender Niklas Backstrom also left practice early because of a groin injury and will not play against Colorado. He missed missed one game last season because of a groin
Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #165
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Illegal curve

Blog post just about every response from the east coast to the west coast in reference to player respect.

Respect
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #166
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Gretzky. Messier. Howe. Francis. Dionne. Yzerman. Lemieux.

Much like the monikers “Jordan” on the hardwood or “Montana” on the gridiron, those surnames have become synonymous with the sport of hockey, as their bearer’s rank among the most recognized and heralded players in the history of the game.

When it comes to on-ice achievements, the name Sakic doesn’t rank too far off.

Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic recorded a goal and one assist in a 3-2 overtime victory over Calgary on Friday to reach 1,600 points in his career, further cementing his legacy as one of the top players to ever lace up a pair of skates.

Sakic opened the scoring in Friday night’s game with a first-period goal – which Andrew Brunette assisted on to earn his 500th career point – and also assisted on Ryan Smyth’s overtime game winner to join the seven aforementioned current and future Hall-of-Famers in the 1,600-point club.

But Sakic’s milestone on Friday wasn’t the captain’s first monumental achievement this season.

Earlier this year, Sakic passed Phil Esposito for eighth place on the all-time points list and also broke a tie with Bobby Hull for 14th place on the career goals list – in the same game, nonetheless– with a goal and an assist on Oct. 7 vs. San Jose.

Less than a week later, the 19-year veteran recorded his 15th career hat trick in an Oct. 13 contest against the Calgary Flames, placing him only one behind Peter Stastny for the franchise record.

Next up for Sakic? The center needs 15 more assists to become only the 11th player in league history to register 1,000 helpers.

Gretzky. Messier. Howe. Francis. Dionne. Yzerman. Lemieux…Sakic.

Has a nice ring, doesn’t it?

NHL’s All-Time Points Leaders
1. Wayne Gretzky 2857
2. Mark Messier 1887
3. Gordie Howe 1850
4. Ron Francis 1798
5. Marcel Dionne 1771
6. Steve Yzerman 1755
7. Mario Lemieux 1723
8. Super Joe Sakic 1600
Props. Sakic's always been a class act, albeit a bit underspoken, and has worn the C in Colorado well.

Man, look at Gretzky's lead on Messier. Sick.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #167
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default 30 hockey games in 30 nights

This would be soooooooooooooooooooooooo cool to do!

Link

Six years ago, I flew 11,000 miles from Japan to California just to watch a
NHL hockey game, I had a great time, and an idea….Wouldn’t it be a thrill to
visit every NHL arena in a single season?

But why stop there? My concept is simple….I’m going to watch a hockey
game in all 30 National Hockey League arenas….in 30 consecutive nights!

Something that’s never been done before….30 hockey games in 30 nights in
30 different cities this fall….it’s the ultimate hockey road trip!

I'll be sharing the ups and downs of my 30 Games In 30 Nights adventure on
this site. Take a look around the site and you’ll find my complete schedule,
the complexities of my travel plans and much more. Once the ultimate road
trip begins, I’ll be updating this site daily with my stories from the games, and
how I traveled to each city blog-style. Read today's blog here.

I'm on a tight budget. Although I’ll need to fly to most cities, I have searched
for bargain airfares and am using a bunch of my frequent flyer miles to keep
costs down. In some cities, I’ll stay with friends or family, and in others I’ll be
finding cheap hotels on Hotwire or using up my Hilton points. As far as game
tickets go, I’ll be looking out for good deals, so if you have any extra tickets, let
me know!

As a hard-core hockey fan who loves to fly, I’m well prepared for the ultimate
hockey road trip. I’ve flown almost a million miles in my lifetime, seen over
500 NHL games, and most importantly, have no problem falling asleep on
airplanes!

For months, I've been planning the details of this 30 Games In 30 Nights trip.
Poring through the NHL schedule for hours to find just the right combination
of games, staying away from the frigid winter months when weather could
disrupt travel, finding affordable flights that get me into each city by 2pm,
coming up with backup travel plans if flights are cancelled, and so on.

So now I'm ready to roll, mentally and physically, for the Ultimate Hockey Road
Trip. I can't wait for October 26th as 30 Games In 30 Nights begins in Detroit!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #168
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Forsberg playing with the Swedish national team

Link

One hour ago the Swedish roster for the tournament in Karjala Cup was released. Coach Bengt-Ake Gustafsson announced it on live television and the final player he announced was: Peter Forsberg. Yes, he will be playing in the tournament with the Swedish national team Tre Kronor. No comments from Forsberg yet, though.

The schedule this year:
Nov. 8: Sweden–Russia
Nov. 8: Czech Republic–Finland
Nov. 10: Sweden–Czech Republic
Nov. 10: Finland–Russia
Nov. 11: Russia–Czech Republic
Nov. 11: Finland–Sweden

It's expected this event will be a tuneup for Forsberg en route to a return to the NHL around midseason.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #169
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default players approve new constitution

Link

TORONTO - NHL players have ratified a new constitution that significantly alters the way their union governs itself, completing a lengthy review process borne out of the dispute over the hiring of former executive director Ted Saskin.

The new constitution, approved through a secret ballot and announced Tuesday, eliminates the National Hockey League Players' Association's executive committee, which was comprised of a president and six vice-presidents.

In its place, the 30 club-player representatives will serve as equal voting members of an executive board.

Additionally, the positions of executive director and general counsel, which have traditionally been held by the same person, will now be divided between two individuals. Both positions will serve as non-voting members of the executive board.

"The players have put together an exceptional constitution, with the process that brought about the changes being just as significant as what their efforts produced," Paul Kelly, the NHLPA's new executive director, said in a statement. "From the very beginning of the review, players consulted with each other, conducted surveys and group discussion, and then affirmed the new constitution by secret ballot.

"It's highly appropriate that the players' constitution was constructed by the players themselves."

The new governing document comes about a week after Kelly's hiring, ending a process of renewal for the union.

A review of the old constitution began in March 2006 as union infighting raged over the process that led to the hiring of Saskin, who was fired last May 11 amid allegations he ordered the spying of NHLPA player e-mails.

A draft of the new document was presented to the players at their annual meetings Aug. 29-31 in Toronto. The input offered from players there plus comments from others who participated in an online survey led the to the final document.

"The events in recent years made it clear that it was time to revise a stale constitution that no longer represented the needs of our membership," said Eric Lindros, a member of the constitution committee. "This new document ensures that the players have control over their union and have the full ability to govern themselves.

"The errors of the past will not be repeated."

Lindros, Craig Adams (Carolina Hurricanes), Andrew Peters (Buffalo Sabres) and Matt Stajan (Toronto Maple Leafs) were appointed to the review process in June 2007 and have since headed the process with lawyer Paul Cavalluzzo and NHLPA staff.

Other changes under the new constitution include:

-The executive board will appoint an ombudsman, who will also recommend a former player to serve in the capacity of divisional player representative to liaise with players in their respective divisions.

-An advisory board will be created to offer guidance on various matters. Members will have expertise in law, corporate affairs, finance, marketing, labour relations and player representation.

"The new constitution builds a relationship that allows the players to be more involved within our union and allows our union to be closer to the players," said Adams. "With divisional player representatives and an ombudsman, our needs will be looked after more efficiently and with greater player input."
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #170
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Anybody watching the oil vs wings?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:54 PM   #171
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Jones suspension sends wrong message

Heres an artical from another point of view..

Link

It is, of course, insane to suggest the Randy Jones hit from behind on Patrice Bergeron Saturday afternoon is anything even remotely close to the dangerous cheap shots delivered by Steve Downie and Jesse Boulerice. It's probably even more ridiculous to suggest that because these players all happen to play for the Philadelphia Flyers, the organization is running amok and must be dealt with harshly before it does any more damage.

But that also doesn't mean Jones shouldn't be suspended for a lot more than two games for his hit on Bergeron. In fact, it could be argued his suspension should be almost as long as the 20 games Downie got for his vicious hit on Ottawa’s Dean McAmmond or the 25 Boulerice received for his crosscheck to the face of Philadelphia’s Ryan Kesler.

I've said it many times before; if players are responsible for what they do with their sticks, they must also be responsible and accountable for what they do with their bodies, regardless of whether or not there was ever any intention to injure a player.

And as long as the hockey culture continues to view these kinds of things as "hockey hits," more and more players are going to be injured by players who are recklessly, but not maliciously, using their bodies.

There is absolutely no doubt Jones did not intend to hurt Bergeron. There's nothing in his past to suggest he's a dirty player or one who has no regard for his opponent. He was obviously sufficiently contrite after it happened and you have to believe he truly regretted the result of his hit.

But he still hit an opponent from behind, he still got his elbow up and drove his opponent's head into the glass and he still delivered a hit that, in this writer's opinion, could have been avoided. It wasn't as though Jones committed himself completely to hitting Bergeron and couldn't let up. He could have let up and he should have let up.

And please, spare everyone this garbage that Bergeron is somehow culpable because he turned away from the hit and went low before having his head driven into the dasher board. The people who espouse that view are the same ones who would chastise McAmmond for having his head down – Duh, it's called body position. And if there was absolutely nothing wrong with the hit, then why exactly did Jones receive a five-minute major for boarding on the play?

The problem here isn't with Randy Jones or the Philadelphia Flyers, it's with the minds in hockey that see these kinds of hits as clean hockey hits and view a broken nose and concussion as the kind of inevitable collateral damage that results when a very fast game is played by very large men at a very intense level. As long as the hockey world continues to view these kinds of hits as acceptable, they're going to keep happening and players are going to continue getting hurt.

We got a glimpse of the NHL reality when Wayne Fish of the Bucks County Courier Times asked Flyers GM Paul Holmgren whether teams might be a bit intimidated by Philadelphia in the aftermath of these three incidents. Holmgren responded by saying: "I certainly don't think it's a bad thing."

In reality, Jones' hit on Bergeron was a headshot – not a headshot in the Downie sense – but a headshot nonetheless. Let's go through the NHL's five new criteria on headshots to see where this one stands:

Did Jones deliberately target Bergeron's head? No.

Did he launch himself by leaving his feet to hit Bergeron? No.

Is Jones a repeat offender? No.

Did he deliver the hit to the head of an unsuspecting opponent? You bet he did.

Was it a late hit? This is the pivotal point as far as the NHL is concerned. If you go by the textbook definition of a late hit, this one doesn't fall into that category. But if you subscribe to the theory that Jones could have recognized Bergeron was in a vulnerable position against the boards and that Jones could have held up on making the hit, then there is absolutely no doubt it was a late hit.

So, depending on how the NHL looks at this one, Jones is guilty in one or two of the five criteria the NHL has established.

And that's why the league needed to suspend Jones for a significant period and send a message to others. In this case, intention or lack of it has very little to do with the incident. When players highstick another player accidentally, they're still penalized. When players clear the puck over the glass inadvertently, they receive a minor penalty.

And in this case, the NHL had to look at recklessness with the same seriousness as intention. Two games isn't going to provide a real deterrent for any player and just when it looked like the NHL was making gains with the welfare of its players, it took a big step back with this one.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #172
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

NHL Network is now on DirecTV in the US on channel 215.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #173
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
NHL Network is now on DirecTV in the US on channel 215.

I love the replays of games they show more than just the goals.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #174
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Tocchet to be reinstated February 7, 2008

NEW YORK -- NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman brought the Rick Tocchet situation to a close Thursday, reinstating the Phoenix Coyotes associate coach on Feb. 7, 2008.
(PODCAST - Bettman announces Tocchet findings: Part 1 | Part 2 )

Bettman made the announcement three days after receiving an investigative report from Robert J. Cleary that was started in February 2006, days after it was revealed that Tocchet was the subject of an investigation by the New Jersey Attorney General’s office into an illegal bookmaking operation dubbed “Operation Slapshot.”

The criminal probe resulted in Tocchet pleading guilty earlier this year to third-degree offenses, conspiracy and promoting gambling. Although he faced up to five years in prison, Tocchet was sentenced to two years probation in August, which he has been allowed to serve in Arizona.

The Feb. 7 date will make Tocchet’s suspension a two-year ban; Tocchet first was granted a leave of absence from his duties with the Coyotes on Feb. 7, 2006.

“I am satisfied that the League’s interest in both discouraging and deterring inappropriate and, in this case, criminal behavior, and in sufficiently punishing the same, are adequately served with Mr. Tocchet having been deprived of the privilege of participating for two entire calendar years,” Bettman said.

Bettman placed three conditions on Tocchet’s reinstatement: Tocchet cannot gamble – legally or illegally – in any way; he “may not engage in any conduct which may reflect adversely on NHL hockey, the League or any club, or on any League or club personnel;” and he will enter the NHL’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program so doctors can determine if Tocchet has a gambling addiction.

Bettman said Tocchet will be treated on an out-patient basis and will be able to work while being part of the program.

Cleary’s 21-month investigation revealed that Tocchet’s role in the gambling ring, which was run by former New Jersey State Trooper James Harney, was in helping friends – including current and former NHL players – place bets with Harney. The report also revealed Tocchet “maintained a financial interest in the betting activity of those individuals whom he referred to Harney.”

“There is no evidence that anyone, including Mr. Tocchet, did anything that in any way or at any time compromised the integrity of NHL hockey or any NHL hockey game,” said Bettman.

Cleary wrote in his report that there was no evidence of any betting on hockey by NHL personnel; there was no evidence of any efforts to compromise the integrity of any games; and there was no evidence of any connection between the gambling ring and organized crime, which had been suggested in the initial media reports.

“Based on the preliminary reports we were getting, after the initial announcement was made about this, the headlines and the hysteria, it became clear to me that this probably didn’t have anything to do with NHL hockey,” said Bettman. “It wasn’t something that preoccupied me. I was anxious that Mr. Cleary be able to finish his investigation as quickly as he could, and under the circumstances that he was presented with, he did. This whole matter has been more of a distraction and gotten more attention that it was ever worth.”

Cleary’s probe, during which he interviewed approximately 90 current and former players, coaches and other League and club employees, took as long as it did because he was unable to speak with Tocchet until August, after Tocchet had entered his plea and been sentenced.

That interview, and Cleary’s report, convinced Bettman that initial reports of a well-developed, complex criminal enterprise were false, and its relationship to the NHL was “tangential.”

“While it is clear that criminal activity did in fact take place, and that Mr. Tocchet was involved in this activity, and while I never have and never will attempt to minimize the severity of these activities, the fact is that the reality of this case never lived up to the massive amount of hype and speculation circulating in the initial days after the investigation was made public,” said Bettman.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #175
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Deadline arrives for Predators

lINK

Time is running out on the effort to keep the Predators in Nashville, as negotiations on Tuesday showed little progress toward today's deadline and ticket sales were running slow.

A mostly local investors group has until the end of today to buy the hockey team from owner Craig Leipold. That won't be possible, given all the approvals still needed, but Leipold could give the group more time before he starts talking to other potential buyers.

Meanwhile, the community is coming up short on its one sure way to require the Predators to stay in town — buying tickets.

After six home games, the Predators' paid attendance average stands at 12,305, well below the 14,000 that would enforce the team's 30-year lease of Sommet Center.

However, attendance traditionally picks up in the second half of the season, after football ends.

"That's the ultimate ace in the hole that we have," Mayor Karl Dean said last week.

Metro Councilman Charlie Tygard said he was anxious about the pace of negotiations between the investors and Dean's administration to change the lease, which the investors say they must do to buy the team.

"I guess I'm concerned that the deadline is fast approaching, and we're not hearing anything pro or con," Tygard said Tuesday. "I'm certainly hopeful that we can reach some kind of agreement, or I hope Craig Leipold will grant an extension."

Margie Newman, a spokeswoman for the buyers, said the group was "still working toward the Oct. 31 deadline unless they hear otherwise." She said she wasn't aware of the group's asking Leipold for an extension; Gerry Helper, a Predators spokes man, said he wasn't aware of Leipold's being approached for one.

"Everybody's focused on getting the deal done," he said.

Coach doubts distraction

Tygard said he would like to see Dean wrap up the negotiations and present a deal to the Metro Sports Authority and Metro Council, both of which have asked for a week to consider major lease changes.

"I'm to the stage now, I would like the mayor to put (forward) the best deal possible that he can offer legally to protect the taxpayers, and it's time to let the public see what it is, discuss it and vote it up or down," he said.

Dean's spokeswoman, Janel Lacy, said, "We're not going to do a deal without a full public discussion, and we hope we can start that discussion soon."

More than five months after Leipold first announced that he had reached a preliminary deal to sell the Predators, Tygard said he worries that the process could be distracting the team, which was 4-6 going into Tuesday night's game at Calgary.

"Perhaps this uncertainty has filtered down into the performance of the team. I'm not saying that's the whole reason they're 4-6, but in professional sports, you've got a fragile chemistry, and anything that disrupts it on any level sometimes is more than what they can overcome."

Predators Coach Barry Trotz said he didn't think that was the case.

"It's more of a distraction probably when we are not playing than when we are playing, because once you start playing it better not be a distraction," Trotz said before Tuesday's game. "It doesn't show very good focus, it doesn't show very good preparation.

"We just have to block it out. It is what it is. We are going to be in Nashville for hopefully a long time, or a few years, or we don't know. All we know is we are here this year so let's live in the moment a little bit. That's all you can really do."

Predators fan Liz Parrott, a local attorney and a season ticket-holder for the team's nine years, says she still believes things will work out for the best.

"I'd say there's still cautious optimism,'' said Parrott, a former president of the team's booster club. "We want the deal to go through and we want to keep them here. There's that undying hope that they will stay here and get something worked out.''

Parrott said she believes that even though it's unlikely a deal will be reached by the end of the exclusive negotiating period today, the two sides are moving in the right direction.

"I think it's a long-term process that's made huge strides,'' she said. "They've made enough strides that they're not just going to throw in the towel and say, 'We're done.' ''

FAN COMMENTS