The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #401
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

The No-Brainer Way to Cut Calories
Posted by Gabrielle Reece
on Mon, Oct 08, 2007, 1:18 pm PDT Post a Comment View all 1011 Comments »
Can you guess what percentage of calories Americans consume that come from what they drink? Three percent? Ten? No, try twenty percent! Yes, that's right, one-fifth of the calories we take in come from liquids.
Here is a no-brainer way to begin to cut back on your caloric intake: Stop drinking sodas (even diet), juices, mega-sized "health" smoothies with 120 grams of sugar in them, whipped coffee drinks, iced tea loaded with corn syrup, and all those sport and vitamin drinks that are actually filled with sugar and calories.

What's the magic word? Water. Okay, if you love a cup of java in the morning, then get it. Try to avoid all the extras with it, and if you're looking for a pick-me-up in the middle of the day, have an unsweetened green tea instead of a soda or energy drink.

Otherwise, try your best to stick with the water, and if it gets too boring, add a splash of cranberry juice or a slice of lemon to mix it up. Getting enough water can help us in our quest for better health in so many ways:

Flush out toxins
Reduce your risk of heart attack
Help with joint and muscle pain
Boost your metabolic rate
Improve organ function
Keep you regular
Prevent headaches
Promote healthy skin
Regulate body temperature
Get energized and improve alertness
Wow, you can kill two birds with one stone: Cut out unwanted calories and do something good for yourself in the meantime. I don't know about you, but if I'm going to have a bunch of sugar or calories I want it to be something I have to chew -- preferably chocolate. Waste it on some drink? No way.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #402
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Good article .... Is that Gabrielle Reece the ex-volleyballer who's married to champion surfer Laird Hamilton and lives in Hawaii?

But ... why does an article about saving calories say, "Stop drinking sodas (even diet)"?

They're Z E R O calories! I just don't understand what people have against diet sodas. Obviously water is better, but (other than phenylketonurics, which only affect a tiny % of people) what are the REAL reasons? Gimme something concrete here. I go through about three 2-liters (DIET, NO caffeine) a week.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #403
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I think the aspartame or sucrolose makes you crave food...not sure...but it does me. I seem to eat more on days I drink dt.coke...
Old 10-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #404
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

I hit the again yesterday. I have got to make myself stick with it because my blood pressure has been running high the last few days even with the meds and I know exercise will help. Gonna have to go see the doc soon and he'll probably have to up the dosage.
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #405
Raiders Rock
Ring of Famer

RaidersKickAss.com

- 41 lbs since 04/10/07

Diabetic... had to
Raiders Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 AM   #406
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

That's awesome RR! Great job! That's about the same time I started!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #407
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Rock View Post
- 41 lbs since 04/10/07

Diabetic... had to
same here ....... I am holding 215 pounds for well over a year now I was 250 ....
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #408
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Good article .... Is that Gabrielle Reece the ex-volleyballer who's married to champion surfer Laird Hamilton and lives in Hawaii?

But ... why does an article about saving calories say, "Stop drinking sodas (even diet)"?

They're Z E R O calories! I just don't understand what people have against diet sodas. Obviously water is better, but (other than phenylketonurics, which only affect a tiny % of people) what are the REAL reasons? Gimme something concrete here. I go through about three 2-liters (DIET, NO caffeine) a week.
I enjoy diet soda now .....and I eat more smaller meals a day now , I am doing alot better , and I noticed my mood swings have all but stopped .I still have road rage though
Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #409
Raiders Rock
Ring of Famer

RaidersKickAss.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by §Pide® View Post
I enjoy diet soda now .....and I eat more smaller meals a day now , I am doing alot better , and I noticed my mood swings have all but stopped .I still have road rage though
I eat smaller meals, all whole grain foods, no white bread, minimal sugar, no potato's I eat alot of soy based products, minimal processed foods.

I keep it around 1800 calories a day and try to keep it under 100gms carbs a day.

I inject Byetta (Exenatide is an injectable diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. This medication helps your pancreas produce insulin more efficiently.) It is not insulin and it is expensive but it works well for me.

I am very lucky, I have no symptoms of Diabetes except I was thirsty alot and had to pee alot so I got checked out.

My numbers are very good and I usually check my bg levels up to 5 times a day, My doc told me if I get my weight where he wants it I will probably not even have to take any meds.

I weigh 230 lbs but have a 34 inch waist I have some gut but even when I was 270 only sported a 38 inch waist.

I guess I am big boned
Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #410
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I eat smaller meals, all whole grain foods, no white bread, minimal sugar, no potato's I eat alot of soy based products, minimal processed foods.

I keep it around 1800 calories a day and try to keep it under 100gms carbs a day.

I inject Byetta (Exenatide is an injectable diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. This medication helps your pancreas produce insulin more efficiently.) It is not insulin and it is expensive but it works well for me.

I am very lucky, I have no symptoms of Diabetes except I was thirsty alot and had to pee alot so I got checked out.

My numbers are very good and I usually check my bg levels up to 5 times a day, My doc told me if I get my weight where he wants it I will probably not even have to take any meds.

I weigh 230 lbs but have a 34 inch waist I have some gut but even when I was 270 only sported a 38 inch waist.

I guess I am big boned
good job , I got popped at my DOT physical , I had a fellow up appointment 2 weeks later , I blew it off , just started doing the diet thing on my own , I havent checked my blood sugar in over a month .....
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #411
Raiders Rock
Ring of Famer

RaidersKickAss.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by §Pide® View Post
good job , I got popped at my DOT physical , I had a fellow up appointment 2 weeks later , I blew it off , just started doing the diet thing on my own , I havent checked my blood sugar in over a month .....
You need to go to a doctor if sugar was detected in your urine.
I had to have a DOT a month before I was diagnosed... I had no sugar in my urine, in order for sugar to spill into your urine you have to be quite high.

The most common drug for Type 2 is Metformin, it messes with your stomach at first but does a good job and only costs about 4 bucks a month from Wally World.

Uncontrolled diabetes can and will cause stroke and heart attacks, and can make you go blind...lose feeling in your extremities as well as ED go get an A1C test done asap Spider.

Diabetes is easier than ever to control, and if you don't you will lose your CDL or possibly worse .

Please heed my warning and take this as serious as anything you ever did in your life.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #412
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
You need to go to a doctor if sugar was detected in your urine.
I had to have a DOT a month before I was diagnosed... I had no sugar in my urine, in order for sugar to spill into your urine you have to be quite high.

The most common drug for Type 2 is Metformin, it messes with your stomach at first but does a good job and only costs about 4 bucks a month from Wally World.

Uncontrolled diabetes can and will cause stroke and heart attacks, and can make you go blind...lose feeling in your extremities as well as ED go get an A1C test done asap Spider.

Diabetes is easier than ever to control, and if you don't you will lose your CDL or possibly worse .

Please heed my warning and take this as serious as anything you ever did in your life.
i will bro ......
Old 11-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #413
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

The Microwave Diet: 8 Great Frozen Entrees
Posted Tue, Oct 23, 2007, 5:17 pm PDT
POST A COMMENT »
It's a given: Life is going to hand you a certain number of days so crazed that high-speed take-out seems like the only dinner option.

The hitch? The only people who know less about portion control than restaurant chefs are the stressed-out and starving. (You know the feeling: You deserve to supersize something after the day you've had.)

The fix? Stock your freezer with healthy versions of your fave take-out treats--ones that are delicious enough to keep you driving right past the fast-food palace. Honest, they exist. Just check this list, tested by a bunch of tough-to-please tasters.

PIZZA: Lean Cuisine Brick Oven Style Roasted Garlic Chicken Pizza
Here's a great way to soothe pizza craving without worrying about the 2-slice cut-off! The flatbread crust is topped with creamy garlic sauce, chicken, and cheese. And it crisps up perfectly in the microwave.
340 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated), 49g carbohydrates, 670mg sodium, 2g fiber, 20g protein

ENCHILADAS: Amy's Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas
Dig into two corn tortillas filled with black beans, corn, zucchini, tofu, and bell peppers, all covered in mild enchilada sauce. Note that there's a low-sodium version of this meal: 380 mg vs. 780 mg in the regular recipe. Smart. High salt hits are hard to avoid in most frozen food, so take advantage.
380 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated), 44g carbohydrate, 380mg sodium, 6g fiber, 10g protein

BURRITO: Cedarlane's Low Fat Beans, Rice, and Cheese Style Burrito
This almost sounds too healthy to be fun, but even our burrito junkies loved this dish of pinto beans, soy cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and organic brown rice, wrapped in a warm wheat tortilla. For extra zing, top it off with your favorite salsa.
260 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated), 48g carbohydrate, 490mg sodium, 7g fiber, 13g protein

PANINI: Lean Cuisine's Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom Panini
Okay, it's not quite the same as the corner bistro's, but a little perspective here: eating just half of Panera Bread's Frontega Chicken Panini would cost you 440 calories, 21g of fat, and 1150mg of sodium! This is faster, cheaper, much healthier, and surprisingly satisfying.
280 calories, 8g fat (3.5g saturated), 32g carbohydrate, 690mg sodium, 5g fiber, 21g protein

THAI NOODLES: Seeds of Change Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
You don't have to be a nutritionist to figure that large servings of noodles drenched in peanut sauce are hazardous to your waist. Not these. The linguini is made with healthy semolina wheat flour, and there's plenty of zippy ginger-peanut sauce flavoring the noodles, veggies, and tofu (done just right--nice and firm).
350 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated), 620mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 17g protein

RAVIOLI: Lean Cuisine Butternut Squash Ravioli
This indulgent-tasting dish features pillowy squash raviolis with a creamy pumpkin-like filling, surrounded by yellow and orange carrots, snap peas, and chopped walnuts, all covered with a light cream sauce. Bonus: It gives you almost all the vitamin A you need for the whole day.
350 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated), 56g carbohydrates, 660mg sodium, 6g fiber, 13g protein

MAC 'N' CHEESE: Smart Ones Macaroni and Cheese
Every now and then you need a taste of your favorite childhood dish. If mac and cheese is yours, this one will soothe your inner 5-year-old's needs for just 270 warm, creamy calories.
270 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated), 52g carbohydrates, 790mg sodium, 2g fiber, 11g protein

SOMETHING DIFFERENT: Kashi Lemongrass Coconut Chicken
A delicious bowl of tender snow peas, carrots, broccoli, and grilled chicken breast on a bed of seven whole grains that are flavored with a lemongrass-coconut sauce...this meal smells almost as good as it tastes.
300 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated), 38g carbohydrate, 680mg sodium, 7g of fiber, 18g protein

One more thing that's great about these 8 freezer finds: Avoiding saturated and trans fats can make your RealAge up to 4 years younger
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #414
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

I worked out Mon., Wed., and today and plan on getting another one in Sat. So 4 days this week aint to shabby I',m watching my lil' niece in the morning so that will be exercise enough for tomorrow I just got an Ipod last week so I was having fun listening to my music on my new toy while working out. Sure made the time go by a little faster.
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #415
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

LOW CARBS AT THE COFFEEHOUSE!

By Vicki Shaver

The good news is that black coffee doesn’t have any carbs. It’s also filled with potassium, a mineral that many low carb dieters need to supplement. The bad news is that nearly all of the specialty drinks at your favorite coffee house are loaded with sugar. So, what’s a low carber to do when faced with the inevitable choice between House Blend Blasé and Caramel Macchiato Dream? Well, you might be surprised. If you educate yourself on what your local coffee house has to offer, you can turn your coffee drink into a low carb dessert!

Here are some of the things to ask for:

“Breve” {pronounced Brev-ay, with the same accents as latte}

Whether it’s a Breve Latte or a Breve Cappuccino, you will love this creamy version of the standard so much that you will never want to return to the land of skim! “Breve” in coffee language means that it is made with cream, or more commonly, half-n-half. This is a low carb staple, and a must when turning coffee into dessert. NOTE: The store may add an extra charge for the half-n-half, but its well worth it, and justified. The fact that there are still some inexperienced baristas who look at you cock-eyed when you place this order, is likely due to the extra cost associated with keeping half-n-half on hand.

Sugar-free Flavor Shots

For me, a Breve Latte can stand on its own, without any other additions, as a dessert. However, if my sweet tooth is really calling, I will order a sugar-free flavor shot. Or, as mentioned above, if my worst nightmare occurs and the place is out of half-n-half, I will order a brewed coffee flavored with a sugar-free shot. Most places have at least one or two sugar-free flavors to choose from. Usually its vanilla, however I have found sugar-free hazelnut, caramel and Irish cream, too. Do not underestimate these little charms! There has been many a day that I was ready to grab a carb-laden scone or croissant from the dessert case, but instead ordered a Breve Latte with a sugar-free flavor shot. Yum! I was NOT disappointed!

Whipped Cream

Whether it’s from a can or whisked up fresh in the back, whipped cream is usually pretty low carb, especially considering the small amount that gets plopped on top of your drink. It’s hard not to feel like your committing a diet sin while licking whipped cream off your upper lip, too.

All of these rules also apply to teas and steamers. Watch out for the Chai Tea, though. Unless the place offers a clearly marked sugar-free version, Chais are jam-packed with carbs in the form of sugar. Same with any Mocha, or other chocolate treats.

Low carb Cheesecake

Yes, you read that right – cheesecake! At a Starbucks operating inside of a Barnes and Noble, I found Low Carb Cheesecake on the menu! I did some checking and discovered the many, but not all, Starbucks offer this dessert. The one I had was wonderful, but a day or two older than I would have liked. What really stood out about this cheesecake was its crust made of crushed almonds – excellent!

So, yes Virginia, there is a comfy sofa for low carbers at the coffee house. In fact, the more you frequent these caffeinated havens asking for low carb specialty drinks, the more choices you will have in the future. Who knows, one day there may be a coffee house devoted to the low carb lifestyle. Wake up and smell the investment potential!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #416
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
- 41 lbs since 04/10/07

Diabetic... had to

Good job! Now if you can only lose that loser of a football team, you would have more energy, less stress and you would look much better! As for me, I gained a few pounds since not working out in Denver and Halloween. 2 days out of 7 is the direct opposite of what I do every week. Worse is Halloween candy from my kids and left overs. Didnt touch it for 2 months when I bought some but these little chocolates dont have calories if you only eat 5 of them, right?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #417
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

UGH...haven't been to the gym in a week and a half....I have absolutely no motivation these days! Help!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #418
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Ok...I'm heading there now...class at 6:30 but I'm so tired...
Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #419
Raiders Rock
Ring of Famer

RaidersKickAss.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
UGH...haven't been to the gym in a week and a half....I have absolutely no motivation these days! Help!
No problem, I will help

Hogan said this girl is hot
Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #420
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Quote:
I don't know about you, but when it gets dark so early. I get lazy.
The days are so short right now, hard to go work out when it gets dark.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #421
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Very true...and I was used to riding bike outdoors 3-5 times a week! I was putting almost 50 miles a week on my bike! Well, I start the new job tomorrow and get off at 4. There is a class at the Y at 4:30 so I could do that one instead of 6:30 two days a week and I would have no time to go home first! ! That's what gets me. Esp. with darker, colder nights. Then I could do the 5:30 class Friday (which is the same as the 6:30 M and W) and grab a little something to eat before that one.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #422
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

30 lbs. John? Great job!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #423
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

America's Most Obese Cities

By Rebecca Ruiz, Forbes.com

Nov. 14, 2007

We are heavier than ever.

Once considered an affliction of the lazy and indulgent, obesity now affects about one-third of Americans. The epidemic has swept up the wealthy, middle class and the poor; city dwellers, suburbanites and those in rural areas; and people of all races and ethnicities.

The causes, researchers say, are numerous. These include a diet of calorie-dense but nutrient-deficient food found in grocery and convenience stores, public planning strategies that favor motorists over walkers and cyclists, and simply bad habits.

And while the causes are many, the costs are enormous. Obesity's associated costs add $93 billion to the nation's medical bill annually. Each year, 112,000 people die from obesity-related causes, and the condition is responsible for an increased risk of chronic diseases like Type 2 diabetes, cancer and heart disease.

To better understand the local and state implications of the obesity epidemic, we ranked the nation's heaviest cities. In doing so, we discovered states with multiple offenders, metropolitan areas with expanding waistlines and a high representation of Southern cities. Worse yet, after claiming the title of the most sedentary city, Memphis, Tenn., has also ranked first as the country's most obese.

Behind the numbers

To determine which cities were the most obese, we looked at 2006 data on body mass index, or BMI, collected by the Centers for Disease Control's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, which conducts phone interviews with residents of metropolitan areas about health issues, including obesity, diabetes and exercise.

In this case, participants report their height and weight, which survey analysts use to calculate a BMI. Those with a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 are considered at a healthy weight, those with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 are considered overweight, and those with a BMI of 30 or higher are considered obese. About 32 percent of the nation is obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control; Memphis ranked above the national average at 34 percent.

Though data is collected for roughly 145 metropolitan statistical areas, we looked only at the country's 50 most populated cities and ranked the top 20. Because of an insufficient number of survey responses, data from some cities, including Sacramento, Calif., Columbus, Ohio, and Buffalo, N.Y., was not included. Had we included every area on the list, the smaller cities of Huntington, W.V., and Ashland, Ohio, on the West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio state borders, would have far outpaced every city on the list with obesity rates of 45 percent. Of the 50 cities we did rank, Boston entered last, with only 19 percent.

Noticeable Trends

Many of the cities on the list have high poverty rates and high frequencies of fast-food consumption.

In the city of Memphis, which does not include the outlying areas surveyed by the CDC, 24 percent of residents live below the poverty line. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the national average is 13 percent. The same trend was noticeable in the cities of Milwaukee (No. 17), Detroit (No. 5), and San Antonio, Texas, (No. 3) where 26 percent, 33 percent, and 18 percent of residents, respectively, live beneath the poverty line.

While fast-food consumption is a minor factor influencing obesity rates, purchasing patterns often reflect larger health issues and habits in certain communities. The average American had purchased fast food 16 days of the month between January and September of this year, according to Quick-Track research conducted by the consumer tracking group Sandelman & Associates. Thirteen cities on our list, including Memphis, Austin, Texas, and Indianapolis, met the national average or higher. Residents of San Antonio eat fast food 20 days of the month, and had the highest frequency of the cities on our list.

The Causes

Despite public health warnings about maintaining a frequent exercise regimen, limiting fast-food consumption and avoiding weight gain, there is no single cause of obesity, a fact that often frustrates experts, legislators - and obese people.

Other factors contributing to our ballooning waistlines, says Marian Levy, director of the master's of public health program at the University of Memphis, include enormous food portions, declining exercise rates and cheaper, unhealthy food. When asked about Memphis, however, Levy emphasizes a local culture built around Southern hospitality.

"We express our caring about people through food," she says, describing generous helpings of fried fish, chicken and okra often shared with neighbors and friends. "We have to realize that if we truly care about people, we want them to be healthful."

In Memphis, as in other cities on our list, reversing the obesity crisis can seem like trying to plug a thousand holes in a sinking ship. Public health campaigns are a start. Healthy Memphis Common Table, a nonprofit organization trying to promote better fitness and nutrition choices, provides residents with a list of exercise facilities and walking paths in addition to health tips and testimonials about the benefits of weight loss.

Another tactic, notes Levy, is vending machine legislation that will require schools pre-K through eighth grade to replace unhealthy foods and beverages in vending machines, on school store shelves, at fundraisers and a la carte cafeteria items with more nutritious alternatives. She hopes the legislation, which is being implemented for the current school year, will improve the diets of Memphis-area school children, 71 percent of whom receive a free lunch from school cafeterias.

Still, "there's not going to be a silver bullet," Levy says. "There has to be a simultaneous change at the environmental level, in schools, communities and families."

The Solutions

It's that community-wide change in lifestyle that experts say will result in fewer cases of obesity.

"You see cities taking this on in a range of different ways," says Leon Andrews, the project director of the Institute for Youth, Education and Families at the National League of Cities. Andrews is currently overseeing a one-year project in which six cities, including our third most obese, San Antonio, receive assistance in combating childhood obesity and promoting community wellness.

Andrews identified five ways cities could specifically address childhood obesity, as well as larger community health issues. These included improving public space and utilizing parks and recreation areas to encourage physical activity, as well as pursuing healthy food alternatives through community gardens and farmer's markets.

"More cities are becoming aware of [obesity] and looking to play a role in improving the situation," Andrews says. He also pointed out that city leaders often preferred to follow a successful example as opposed to chart a new course: "They definitely want to be the second, but may not want to be the first," he says. Regardless, it's clear that rising rates of childhood obesity - 17 percent of children and adolescents ages 12 to 19 are overweight - has prompted cities like Birmingham, Ala., San Diego and Richmond, Va., all on our list, to become more proactive in terms of obesity prevention.

Others, such as Walter Willett, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, believe our salvation lies mainly in ridding the grocery store of food he calls "not fit for human consumption." Among the items he would like to see purged, he says, are the "shelves of sugar water, the breakfast cereal section, dominated by refined starch and sugar, and white bread and rolls."

According to Willett, a healthier diet, in combination with increased levels of physical activity and environments that promote exercise, would drastically improve the country's obesity problem. "If we do this right," he says, "we'll improve our quality of life in many different ways."

http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/am...se_cities.html
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #424
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
30 lbs. John? Great job!
No kidding ... excellent work

Welcome to the thread, LABF - nice article.

I'm at 288 last weigh-in on November 9 (32 down, 48 to go). Losing 48 more sounds like a lot, but I have every confidence it shall be done - by this time next year. That would be just 1 pound a week, I can definitely manage that.

I was outta town for almost a month, and didn't watch the calories at all - gained only 4 pounds (which I think I've lost since I got home on 12/10. Gotta get on the scale at the Y this week. I feel I'm maybe closer to 280 now).

Until two years ago, I'd never been over 250 - ever. Anybody have any advice on keeping weight off after one huge gain and one huge loss?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #425
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I posted a few pics recently, and somebody here on the board said - seriously - that I looked exactly like comedian Lenny Clarke - without the gray hair:

That hurts ... because it's true. Kind of, anyway. That is NOT how I see myself, so - vanity shall prod me!