The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #126
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Check out Kopi's sick move in the shootout-

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...deo?id=3066947
PFT its been done, its alot easier in a shootout tho when you dont have a defender chasing you

this is how it should look

still a nice move tho

and the only reason i remember this is cuz it was one of the few bright spots of the season last year.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #127
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
PFT its been done, its alot easier in a shootout tho when you dont have a defender chasing you

this is how it should look

still a nice move tho

and the only reason i remember this is cuz it was one of the few bright spots of the season last year.
Never said I have never seen it done before. It's a sick move and it requires serious skill to do it. I believe the move is called the super swede move, it is in the NHL 2k8 game I think, where Forsberg and others have done it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QobAlzxDdXc

EDIT: here is forsberg doing the super swede move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIbLMBodWfw

Last edited by 24champ; 10-18-2007 at 02:18 AM..
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #128
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

i like the ryan-malone-goal-from-my-ass-to-win-the-game
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #129
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

The Toronto Sun reports the Kings have joined the fray to sign unrestricted free agent Peter Forsberg. It is believed Forsberg would like to be reunited with Kings coach Marc Crawford. Colorado, Detroit, Ottawa and Philadelphia have also expressed an interest in signing the forward. (updated: 10/09/2007)

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/NHL_SC-RUMOR
Old 10-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #130
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default AHL suspends Purinton 25 games

Link

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - It appears the American Hockey League is also coming down hard on hits to the head.

Former NHL defenceman Dale Purinton of the Lake Erie Monsters has been suspended by the AHL for 25 games for a hit to the head of Iowa Stars forward Marius Holtet.

The suspension comes after the NHL recently suspended Flyers forward Steve Downie 20 games and teammate Jesse Boulerice 25 games, both were for hits to the head.

Holtet suffered a concussion and was not expected in the lineup for his team's road game against the Milwaukee Admirals on Friday.

Purinton was assessed a match penalty with no time remaining in the second period for punching an unsuspecting opponent and causing injury on Wednesday.

"An incident such as this has no place in our game," AHL president David Andrews said in announcing the suspension Friday. "Mr. Purinton struck Marius Holtet in the head from behind with a gloved fist after the completion of play.

"This was a dangerous and deliberate action by a player who is a repeat offender."

Purinton, 31, played minor hockey in Calgary and has bounced around since helping the Lethbridge Hurricanes reach the Memorial Cup final in 1997.

The NHL suspended him for 10 games on Oct. 4, 2005, when he was with the New York Rangers, for an attempt to eye-gouge Colton Orr in a pre-season game.

During 2004-05, when he was playing for the ECHL's Victoria Salmon Kings, he was suspended for refusing to stop fighting and pulling the hair of an opponent. The Salmon Kings released him.

Other NHL suspensions include a three-game ban in February 2002 for a sucker-punch on Jason Blake of the New York Islanders; seven games in October 2001 for a cross-check to the head of Washington's Stephen Peat; four games for beating up goaltender Garth Snow in a pre-season game in September 2001.

He last played an NHL game in 2003-2004. In 181 NHL games, Purinton scored four goals and assisted on 16 while amassing 578 penalty minutes.

Holtet, 23, had one goal in five games this season. He was selected 42nd overall by the Dallas Stars in the 2002 NHL entry draft. It was the higheset a Norwegian-born player had been drafted in league history.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #131
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default TheNeilShow sits down with ESPNís John Buccigross

TheNeilShow - The NHL still seems to be struggling to grow a fan base in the USA. What can Mr. Bettman and the League do better, in your opinion, to get the game to progress in the United States?

John Buccigross - I donít think commissioners or P.R. departments can do much of anything. Hockey is a popular, niche sport. It allows Thomas Vanek to make 7 million dollars a year. It may not rate all that great on television, but itís a successful international sport that has plenty of revenue streams.
The arenas are full, the franchise values are rising, and the players are rich. What more do people want? I donít care how popular the NHL is. It doesnít affect my love of the game at all if one other person is watching a game or one million other people are watching.

TheNeilShow - Do you see the NHL and ESPN working together again? Any specific reasons why or why not?

John Buccigross - ESPN is always interested in any major or minor sports league who is in the last year of a contract. Whether itís the NFL, NBA, MLB, Arena League, MLS, or professional golf and tennis they will always at least investigate if it makes financial sense to do something. If it makes sense they do it, if it doesnít, they donít.

TheNeilShow - If you could make any rule changes in the NHL, what changes would you make and why?

John Buccigross - I would make the net a little bigger. The goaliesí equipment is too good and the goalies are too good.

TheNeilShow - Can you tell me about your golf experience with, Boston Bruins Great, Ray Bourque?

John Buccigross - Weíve played together just twice. The first time I was attempting to three putt on the final hole in order to shoot a 77 playing with Ray Bourque. I thought that would be appropriate. I was going to ease theputt near the hole, tap the next putt an inch or so, and then tap in for 77. Instead I made a slippery 20 foot downhill putt on the last to shoot 75.

The other time was a fun match where Ray Ferraro and I defeated Ray and his buddy Reggie Lemelin. Ray Bourque is the gift that keeps on giving. He has no downside.

TheNeilShow - I have heard nothing but good things about a book you just released through Middle Atlantic Press called ďJonesy: Put Your Head Down And SkateĒ can you tell us a little about that and what an experience that was.

John Buccigross - People seem to like it which is great. Itís just a simple little hockey story with some different twists. Most NHL players did not take the path Keith did. He has had an interesting and humorous life that people seem to enjoy so far. It was a difficult process.

Writing is difficult and writing a book is very difficult. The best part is when you are done. But, it is a great thrill to walk through a Borders and see your book on the shelf.
Hopefully, I can learn from the experience and enjoy more the next time! Iíve started interviewing Barry Melrose for a book on his life that I hope can be released next fall.

TheNeilShow - What was your favorite story of Keith Jones in your ďJonesyĒ book?

John Buccigross - My favorite stories involving Keith are the ones that shaped his interesting and successful outlook and approach to life.

TheNeilShow - Whatís your greatest accomplishment in your career so far?

John Buccigross - My greatest accomplishment? I donít think Iíve done anything in this business that I would describe as an accomplishment. Iím just happy to get a paycheck every two weeks doing this.

TheNeilShow - I like to ask this question a lot because I love the answers. Any embarrassing on air moments with ESPN you can share?

John Buccigross - My chair has sunk on the air twice. But, it paid off. Dick Clark has used it on a blooper show and I got like 100 bucks. So, it paid off.

TheNeilShow - Do you see Peter Forsberg coming back this year? if so who do you bet he signs with?

John Buccigross - I think Forsberg will sign with the Rangers or Flyers.

TheNeilShow - Do you see Don Waddell in his coaching role for very long in Atlanta? Have you heard who could be the new bench boss of the Thrashers?

John Buccigross - I would think Don Waddel has too many manager concerns to coach for the entire season. They have to decide on Marian Hossa. Will they sign him? Will he want to sign with Atlanta? If not, they must trade him and you canít do that and coach.

TheNeilShow ĖHabsí star, Alexei Kovalev, is once again in the news for all the wrong reasons. There have been some strong suggestions he may be headed West to Calgary for a Alex Tanguay, do you think this has any legs?

John Buccigross - I donít want to waste a second of my time thinking about Alexi Kovalev. Heís finished.

TheNeilShow - The Buffalo Sabres are missing Daniel Briere and Chris Drury. Now, a lot of so called ďexpertsĒ have said they will tank this season, do you see that happening?

John Buccigross - No way! The Sabres are a still a playoff team. I had them making the playoffs in my ESPN.Com season preview, and from what Iíve seen nothing has changed my mind.

TheNeilShow -Who comes out of the Eastern Conference and the Western Conference this year?

John Buccigross - From what Iíve seen so far, Iíll say Ottawa and Anaheim.

TheNeilShow - Your early ďrookie of the yearĒ pick?

John Buccigross - Jonathan Toews will win rookie of the Year

TheNeilShow - Can you tell our readers here at nhldigest.com what you do and where we can find you and your writings.

John Buccigross -I am a Sportscenter anchor and a hockey columnist on ESPN.Comís NHL page. My column comes out every Tuesday with an email bag of questions from readers that I answer on Thurdays. I hope you like it. www.espn.com

Johnís book link: You can buy ďJonesyĒ direct from Middle Atlantic Press here

I would encourage you all to pick up Johnís book ďJonesyĒ.It is a very good read.
Look for more from TheNeilShow throughout the season as he interviews various sports media members as well as coaches and players from around the NHL.

If you have any questions or comments, please share a comment on the site or email Neil at theneilshow(@)nhldigest.com
Old 10-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #132
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default League inconsistant

Great read by Bleu, Blanc et Rouge

Link

Lost in all the noise of the Avalanche bouncing back from a horrible loss to the Blues by beating Columbus 5-1, of Joe Sakic bagging a hat trick, of Peter Budaj and Pascal Leclaire putting on clinics at both ends of the ice, of Rick Nash displaying the skills of the rapidly disappearing power forward genre, was ANOTHER flagrant use of the stick. In the waning moments of the third period, with Colorado in control, the role-players and depth guys for the Avs were seeing increased ice-time, including some unlikely PP time for some. Columbus blueliner Duvie Westcott was dry-humping Avs forward Wyatt Smith to the left of Leclaire well behind the play when Scott "Captain Caveman" Parker skated over to do some policing as the refs were apparently enjoying the snuff film on ice. Before Parker has time to utter any catchy one-liners he gets cross-checked in the face by Westcott. Parker was bloodied by the cheap shot, but didn't go down. He then proceeded to have an Incredible Hulk-like rage-fest. Thankfully, all-around good guy and humanitarian Ian Laperriere stepped in to prevent Parker from ending Westcott.

Westcott got 2 plus 10, Parker got 2 for apparently bleeding too much. Now, I know that it was a preventive measure to keep things from getting out of hand, and I commend the refs. A few seconds later, Columbus "tough-guy" Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (6'-2", 211 lbs) decides that with Parker off the ice he has free reign to prove his manhood. He takes a run at, and then attempts to rough up, Jaroslav Hlinka (5'-10, 185 lbs). Hlinka has great hands, but I doubt they've ever been balled up in fists in his entire life. The play further enraged Parker who had to be restrained again by teammates to prevent him from leaving the box. Tollefsen and Parker both get the gate in order to avoid incident, and the game ends shortly thereafter.

Now, anybody reading the NHL propaganda would believe that they want to protect players and keep these kind of flagrant cross-checks and stick-work out of the game, right? I mean, didn't' they just hand down lengthy suspensions for Downie and Boulerice? Therefore, a lengthy suspension for Westcott would be forthcoming, right? Wrong. No discussion immediately after the game or in the ensuing three days has indicated any meaningful penalty for Westcott's dangerous act. Instead, he gets the proverbial wrist-slap of a $1000 US fine. That'll teach him!

I have several problems with this, and none of them stem from my unabashed man-love for the Avs.

* The league has effectively taken the stand that Parker is not as important as Dean McAmmond or Ryan Kessler, who also were victims of vicious cross-checks and dangerous blows to the head this season. As I've noted elsewhere, conspiracy theorists will point to this as another example of the NHL attempting to weed-out enforcers and tough-guys.

* Since the only difference between the Kessler, McAmmond, and Parker hits was that Parker didn't go down in a heap on the ice due to the hit, whether the league meant to or not, they are implying that suspensions will only be handed out if damage is done. This inadvertently encourages diving in my opinion. Following the old Gordan Bombay tactic of "Take the hit, act hurt, get indignant." Not a good direction for the league.

* The Avalanche broadcasters were reveling in the look of bat-crap crazy rage that Parker had following the incident. They were talking about Parker "taking notes" for the next game against Columbus. Having been on the receiving end of misplaced "revenge" just a few years ago with the Bertuzzi-Moore incident, I expected them to be better than that.

* Tollefsen is leading the running for "Wuss-of-the-Year" for backing down from a fight with Parker earlier in the period and then showing his manhood against Hlinka. Tollefsen if first-class all the way...

* I foresee lengthy suspensions for somebody following what will likely be ugly incidents that occur in the next Avs-BJ's tilt. Proper league action to address the first incident (the Westcott cross-check) would have prevented that, but the NHL has again missed the boat. This will INVARIABLY lead to more of the stellar, unbiased press coverage from the media that the league seems to not be able to keep away from.

* To the best of my knowledge, Westcott has not sent a thank-you note to Lappy thanking him for saving his life. You figure a nice Hallmark at the least since Duvie would have likely required a closed casket if Lappy hadn't stepped in. How rude...

All-in-all, the lack of any cohesive disciplinary action by the NHL has again shown the league office's inconsistent application of the rules of the league. Don't they understand that the ACTION should warrant punishment just as much as, if not more than, the result? That is the only way that stuff like this will be weeded out of the game.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #133
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Toews' goal against the Avs just now was sick
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #134
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post

It was a sweet set of moves everybody was admiring it too...
Old 10-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #135
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Looks like Qs stupid musical goalies crap i paying off again, budaj should be statring this game.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #136
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Put budaj in Q and please wake up the D they fell asleep again.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #137
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

3-3 amazing
Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #138
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

theo sucks
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #139
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Save of the night
Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #140
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
theo sucks
Kings rescind their offer of Cloutier for Theo.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #141
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Kings rescind their offer of Cloutier for Theo.

We will thrown in 5 pucks and one of the last remaining teeth in Dino Cicerellis head.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #142
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Great stat site is back up: It compares a player's +/- to his team's +/- when he's off the ice.

Link

Daily updates are coming soon
Old 10-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #143
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Raffi Torres was not suspended

Link

The maximum fine allowed under the CBA is $2,500.

If Torres is subject to any future supplementary discipline from the league, he will be considered a repeat offender because of the fine.

Torres landed a blindsided hit to the head of Moss in Saturday's contest, knocking him out of the game with a concussion. He returned briefly in the Flames' 4-1 victory, but was then pulled for precautionary reasons. Torres received a tripping penalty on the play.

''I'm sure it looked like a head shot, but if I was really trying to hurt him, I would have put my elbow up or my shoulder. His jaw hit me. He ran into me,'' Torres told the Edmonton Journal.

''Apparently, Torres has some history of doing that, '' Calgary coach Mike Keenan said. ''I don't know that myself personally . that was the feedback I had from our coaches.''

Last November, Torres hit then Red Wings forward Jason Williams with his shoulder with enough impact to send him face-first to the ice, taking 30 stitches to repair a cut on Williams' forehead.

A year earlier, Torres knocked Milan Michalek out of two playoff games with an open-ice hit in the Oilers series against the San Jose Sharks.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #144
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-UmeAqpx4

yeah that was nice
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #145
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Digital version
Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #146
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Drawn NHL penalties

The leaders through the October 21 games are as follows...

Team No. Player Pen. Drawn
L.A 13 CAMMALLERI 11
S.J 19 THORNTON 10
L.A 11 KOPITAR 10
WSH 8 OVECHKIN 8
PIT 87 CROSBY 8
NYR 19 GOMEZ 8
DET 13 DATSYUK 8
PIT 12 MALONE 7
OTT 12 FISHER 7
N.J 16 ZUBRUS 7
BUF 61 AFINOGENOV 7
ANA 15 GETZLAF 6
ANA 21 O'DONNELL 6
PHX 11 HANZAL 6
MTL 21 HIGGINS 6
EDM 83 HEMSKY 6
CHI 88 KANE 6
CGY 12 IGINLA 6
CAR 13 WHITNEY 6
CAR 12 STAAL 6
BUF 19 CONNOLLY 6

This guy is going to refresh the stats on a regular bases

Link
Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #147
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default New Wirtz in da house

Poor blackhawks fans finally get (some) home games televised..

Link

In his first major move with the Blackhawks, Rocky Wirtz is trying to do what fans long have asked for: televise the team's home games.

In a Monday memo, Wirtz told employees that Blackhawks representatives met with Comcast SportsNet executives last week about getting some home games on the air during the current season.

It's important to understand that CSN's current schedule was developed well over a year ago, so fitting the Hawks into that schedule can't be done overnight," wrote Wirtz, who succeeded his late father, William Wirtz, as head of the family's $1.3 billion business empire earlier this month. "But it can be done and ... we are convinced it is the appropriate next step to re-energizing Chicago hockey fans and creating new fans."

A source within Wirtz Corp. says up to a half-dozen home games may be broadcast this season, the majority of them coming by the end of this year. The first game most likely will be Nov. 11 against the Detroit Red Wings.

CSN already is scheduled to broadcast 39 of 41 of the Hawks' road games this season.

Wirtz also said the team is working on a "long-term strategy" for televising more home games in future seasons.

His move is a departure from the long-standing practice of his father and grandfather, longtime Hawks owner Arthur Wirtz, who chose to black out home games so season ticket-holders were not paying for something they could see for free by staying home.

"You have to appreciate his loyalty," said Marc Ganis, president of Chicago sports business consulting firm Sportscorp, "but it came at a cost. Clearly, Rocky is trying to change that."

The cost for the Hawks was a smaller fan base, which had to work hard to stay connected with the team, Ganis said.

Finding time on the air should be relatively easy for the Hawks because the team is a part-owner of local cable station Comcast SportsNet, as are the Bulls, White Sox and Cubs. The Cubs, along with this newspaper, are owned by Tribune Co.

Jim Corno, president of Comcast SportsNet Chicago, confirmed that the network is "moving forward with the concept of airing some Blackhawk homes games" this season. He described the talks as being in the "preliminary stages" and said further details will be revealed in the "very near future."

It shouldn't be hard to drum up advertisers once the home games are scheduled, sports marketing experts said. Although hockey fans are a smaller part of the population than fans of other pro sports, their demographics skew higher in terms of education and income, Ganis said.

"Sponsors are calling. They're dialing the phone off the hook with a ton of interest," the Wirtz source said.

In a move that surprised many in the Blackhawks organization, Rocky Wirtz took control of the team in early October.

His younger brother, Peter, had long been expected to take over the franchise, but Peter declined his brother's request to stay on, saying he wanted to focus his efforts on the family's food-service business.

Last edited by Bronx33; 10-23-2007 at 07:28 PM..
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #148
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

New Stars Airplane...apparently the Stars owner bought the team a new airplane. Very nice.

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app?articl...e&service=page
Old 10-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #149
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Aebischer sent to the AHL

Just a tidbit i found...

Link

Coyotes goaltender David Aebischer cleared waivers Wednesday and will report to the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL, joining the team in Chicago.

Aebsicher, 29, was one of three goalies on the Coyotes rosters, and he will be in a similar position with San Antonio. Signed as a free agent, Aebischer appeared in one game this season, stopping 30 of 33 shots in a 3-0 loss at Columbus on Oct. 10.

Coach Wayne Gretzky said that with defenseman Zbynek Michalek returning from the injured list, room was needed on the roster.

Phoenix entered the season with a goalie trio that also included Mikael Tellqvist and Alex Auld, another free agent.

ďThe worst thing , the first three weeks of the season for us, we haven't had a lot of games,Ē Gretzky said. ďSo Aebischer in a lot of ways probably had a right to feel he didn't get a really good chance. But we just haven't had enough games to give him that chance.Ē
Old 10-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #150
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avs win in Smythís return to Edmonton

Link

EDMONTON, Alberta ó Ryan Smyth neednít have worried about the kind of reception he would receive on his first visit to Rexall Place as a member of the enemy.

It was as welcome as the unseasonably warm temperature outside.

Edmonton Oilers fans are as passionate as ever about their hockey team, but they havenít forgotten the big goals or lunch-pail work ethic Smyth provided during his 111/2 seasons with the team.

Aside from a smattering of boos late in the game Tuesday night, the 31-year-old left wing was treated like an old friend before the Avalanche skated to a 4-2 win, its first on the road in five attempts this season.

"We needed a win badly," coach Joel Quenneville said. "The last two losses were stinging. We got the win, we got what we were looking for."

Smyth looked relieved afterward to have this first of eight regular-season games against his former teammates over with, and he was especially happy to exit the arena with an important win.

"The team pulled through," said Smyth, adding that Ian Laperriere gave a little pep talk in the locker room before the game.

"He said, ĎLetís do this one for Smitty,í " Smyth said. "Everybody really stepped up, played well. A lot of guys came to congratulate me after the game."

The sellout crowd of 16,839 cheered when Smyth, who was traded to the New York Islanders in February after a contract dispute and signed as a free agent with the Avalanche in July, skated onto the ice for the warm-up.

There was more applause when he flipped a couple of pucks over the glass to some fans ó itís a routine he began several years ago ó before leaving the ice for the locker room.

And Smyth was given a rousing standing ovation when highlights of his time in Edmonton were shown on the large video boards above the ice. Smyth became emotional while watching in front of the Avalanche bench, as did his wife, Stacey, who was sitting in the stands.

"It was very emotional and a very nice gesture and a nice tribute to myself and my family, and quite an honor to come back to the city that you started your NHL career with and be recognized like I was," Smyth said. "The fans were great, and I really appreciate that.

"A lot of things run through your mind. You see those pictures that flash through ... thereís a lot of great memories that Iíll remember forever and Iíll cherish them."

Smyth didnít collect a point, but he managed four shots on goal in 21 minutes, 25 seconds of ice time.

"He was very happy," said goalie Peter Budaj, who had 25 saves. "He said, ĎGreat job, guysí ó just the regular thing. He didnít say we had to win. We knew we had to get off to a good start and start winning on the road."

For the first time in four games, the Avalanche started the scoring and grabbed a 3-1 lead in the first period but didnít do much the rest of the game until defenseman Brett Clark scored an empty-net goal with 17.6 seconds to play.

"It was the first time in a while that we had the lead, and we didnít do a lot with it, which was disappointing," Quenneville said. "You could tell that we werenít comfortable at the end of the game. I think the win should make us a little bit more patient as we go forward."

After the game, Clark presented Smyth with the game-clinching puck.

"That really means a lot to me," Smyth said. "The fact that I played here for such a long time is the thing that (Avalanche teammates) recognized. I appreciate that."

The Oilers outshot the Avalanche 12-4 in a scoreless second period, held the visitors to one shot in the first 11 minutes of the third and closed to 3-2 on a goal by defenseman Tom Gilbert at the 10:45 mark.

Tyler Arnason, who had 11 points in eight games against the Oilers last season, collected a goal on a two-on-one rush and an assist on Jaroslav Hlinkaís first NHL goal, in the opening period.

The Oilers tied the score when Dustin Penner scored on a two-on-one rush, but the Avalanche responded 23 seconds later when Hlinka knocked in a juicy rebound left by goalie Dwayne Roloson.

Wojtek Wolski, who has two goals and four assists in a five-game point-scoring streak, scored what proved to be the winning goal by poking the puck from underneath Rolosonís pad into the net.