The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #376
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Nope...gained nothing. Actually, I lost 3 over the past week! No time to eat, seariouly. Not good, but didn't lose!
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #377
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I don't think I gained any either...lots of walking the tailgates!
The scale read the same when I got home...but 2 lbs. more tonight...but I'll check in the am...probably more accurate.
Alright, BCJ...how about you? You kept saying you would but I know you hit the treadmill at the Red Lion!!!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #378
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

I don't think I really had much time to eat! I had one burger at the 'gate Ohhhhh, and one of Ted's and 12thman's breakfast burrito's....YUM! That was it for the whole day...not to mention all the walking and bike riding I did that day! The rest of the weekend was only one meal a day. Not the healthy way to eat, but I was too dang busy! Went up to the mountains and spent some time there. BEAUTIFUL!
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #379
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I moved recently, and I now live about 1 to 1.5 miles from work. So, I walk every day to/from work and on most days home and back for lunch. I have noticed that I have dropped a few lbs pretty quickly. That and I dont eat a ton of processed foods... that really helps, too.

Oh, BTW, STG, If I trusted my gut, I would be 400 lbs.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #380
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Ok...time to go hit the bike! I'm outta here!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #381
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

I weighted my self at the Doc's office today, 197.
The last 5 lbs have been a lot of work.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 AM   #382
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

You went to the doc on your birthday? Yuck.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #383
OldDudetheYounger
"Cleaner" for Survivor IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
For the last 6 weeks or so, I stablized at 200. But I had a hellacious gall bladder attack Saturday night, and I don't think I've had anything other than a piece of toast and some steamed rice for the last three days. So I'm back down to 196- the hard way.

By the way. Middle Age sucks.
Got that right...

I'm still kinda freaked that you weigh less than I do now.
OldDudetheYounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #384
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
You went to the doc on your birthday? Yuck.
Wow, nice observation.
My kid cut his nose about 8 weeks ago. it had to sewn by a plastic surgeon. He had a check-up and I jumped on the scale while in the doc's office.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #385
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Anyone still working on the weight thing?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #386
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

myeah....screw it
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #387
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Anyone still working on the weight thing?
Still holding steady at just under 200. I'd like to lose 5 more lbs before the year is out and then hold it there for at least 6 months.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #388
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Still holding steady at just under 200. I'd like to lose 5 more lbs before the year is out and then hold it there for at least 6 months.
I'd like ten more...but would just settle for toning the abs!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 AM   #389
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I've lost 25 pounds since May.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #390
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I've already lost my weight, did it when I found out I had diabetes several years ago. Lost 50 lbs in 6 months. Laid off the bad carbs, began exercising, mostly walking and weights and cutting down on portions. The hardest part is keeping it off. It's no problem at home but at work it's a b****. That's all we do there is eat. Discipline is the hardest thing, if I go overboard I have to work it off. Good luck to everyone!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #391
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Email This Story IM This Story Print This Story
Eat to Lose Before and After Workouts
Posted Wed, Oct 03, 2007, 3:41 pm PDT
POST A COMMENT
Eating just the right thing before lifting weights or jumping on the elliptical trainer can keep you energized until the end. What you eat "depends on how hard and how long you're exercising," says Elizabeth Somer, RD, author of Nutrition for Women. Here are her surprisingly easy ways to fuel your muscles before different workouts and--pant, pant--help you recover after you've worked your butt off.
A solid aerobics session--30-60 minutes
BEFORE

"A small liquid snack 5 minutes before a run, step session, or power yoga class turns into fuel almost immediately," says Somer. Let these rules be your guide:

1. Keep it light (under 200 calories) for faster digestion.

2. The less time you have to eat before exercising, the less you eat. You don't want stuff sloshing about in your tummy as you move.

3. Skip juice blends or energy drinks that list high-fructose corn syrup or glucose gels on the label. Both heavy-hitter sweeteners can make blood sugar levels plummet mid-workout.

A few 200-calorie-and-under suggestions:

A make-it-yourself 8 ounce fruit and low-fat yogurt smoothie or one of Dannon's Light & Fit ready-to-drink fruit smoothies
Carnation No Sugar Added Instant Breakfast drink made with a cup of skim milk or light soymilk
A 6 oz. glass of OJ and 2 graham crackers
AFTER

To re-hydrate and keep your blood sugar stable, have some water and:

A low-fat granola or energy bar
A cup of low-sodium chicken noodle soup
A piece of fruit or a small bunch of grapes
Hit-the-wall aerobics--60 minutes or more
BEFORE

You want a snack that keeps muscles supplied with a steady flow of glucose. "Just as a car sputters to a stop when it runs out of gas, you 'hit the wall' or 'bonk' if your glucose supplies are drained. Once that happens, no snack will fuel you fast enough to finish the workout," warns Somer. Before you go all out, have some:

1. Water to ward off dehydration, especially when it's hot.

2. Easy-to-digest, high-quality carbs that leave your GI track quickly and supply enough glucose to fuel a long workout.

3. Protein from yogurt, milk, soymilk, or nuts to offset a rapid drop in blood sugar from eating those carbs.

4. Foods that are light (again, 200 calories) and low-fat to avoid digestive problems. If your energy dips or your legs become shaky, eat more the next time until you hit on the right amount.

Good carb-protein combos:

Half a 4 oz. whole-wheat bagel with 1 tbsp. low-fat cream cheese
A small slice of last night's vegetarian pizza or 2/3 cup leftover spaghetti with marinara sauce
1 stick of low-fat string cheese, 1 medium pear, and 3 whole-grain crackers
AFTER

Recover with more water and a 100 calorie, all-carb snack, such as:

50 pretzel sticks
1/2 cup Breyer's Double Churn Fat-Free Caramel Swirl ice cream
Half a baked potato topped with 2 tbsp. salsa
Up to 60 minutes of gentle yoga, stretching, or tai chi
BEFORE

A pre-workout snack isn't essential for low-sweat activities--say, an hour of yin yoga or a stretch class. But if you're hungry, try a banana for potassium and 2 graham crackers for carbs. Wash it down with some water.

AFTER

All you'll need is more water.

Semi-tough strength training--30-45 minutes
BEFORE

Carbs with a dash of protein is your fuel of choice. Only serious body builders and weight lifters who pump for more than 45 minutes at least three days a week need extra protein--"most people get plenty," says Somer.

If you're borderline hard-core, try these 200 to 250 calorie protein-laced snacks:

Half a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread and a piece of fruit
A handful of trail mix (nuts, dried fruit, and seeds)
3 whole-grain crackers with 1 Tbsp. peanut butter and 6 oz. of V8 juice
AFTER

Re-hydrate with water and have the other half of that turkey sandwich--the protein helps repair and build muscles.

For the average gym rat who does 30 minutes of weight training two or three times a week, just have a high-carb snack 10 minutes or so before you start:

Plain, nonfat yogurt mixed with berries or applesauce
1 tbsp. nut butter and a sliced 1/2 banana on a 10" whole-wheat tortilla, all rolledup burrito-style
1 small (2 oz.) carrot-raisin muffin and a 6 oz. glass of OJ

An all-day hike, cross-country ski or snowshoe trek
BEFORE

To build your glycogen stores, plan ahead.
1. For a day or two prior to your outing, eat high-carb meals of whole-wheat pasta or brown rice dishes.
2. Drink ample fluids, too--at least 10 cups a day. Before setting out, have a substantial high-carb meal of pancakes or waffles with fruit.
3. In addition to lunch, pack a couple of energy bars, dried fruit-and-nut mix to nibble every 2 hours.
4. Regularly sip water or sports drinks; don't wait until you get thirsty.

AFTER

(Soak in the hot tub!) And keep drinking water. Have a high-carb snack such as a muffin, popcorn, pretzels, or hot cocoa and a graham cracker.

Not only will exercising regularly burn off all those snacks and more but it can make your RealAge as much as nine--yes, nine--years younger. And your body inches trimmer.

Nice.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #392
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I've lost 25 pounds since May.
NICE!!!!!!! Walking the streets with that Ron Paul sign is doing wonders!

They took the "fat guy" scale out of the downtown YMCA, so I haven't weighed myself in a month or so. The "fat guy" scale went up to 400, but the other one goes to 250 only I'm not there yet. I'd settle for 275, though. Last I knew I was 284 in late August, down from 320 in late April.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #393
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Sassy, reading that took off 1000 calories. Yes, i am still at it and weigh about 191.5 . Have had trouble losing more weight as I have a pinched nerve and cant lift until it is cured. Running the treadmill 5 times a week so that gets 300 calories each time. I guess i am at stable mode now.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #394
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Woohoo John! Did you gain after Denver?
I was surprised, I didn't! But we walked everywhere!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #395
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

ATTENTION: COFFEE LOVERS!

Coffee lovers may be raising their cups at the growing stream of positive news about their favorite drink. For healthy adults, having two or three cups of joe daily generally isn’t harmful and it may have health perks. Some recent findings even suggest that coffee may help lower the risk of diseases like diabetes and heart disease.

A cup of coffee contains about 1 gram of soluble fiber, the type that can help lower cholesterol, according to a recent report in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Recent Harvard studies, involving more than 193,000 people, found that regular coffee drinkers had a significantly lower risk of type 2 diabetes than those who abstained. The more they drank, the lower their risk.

Despite coffee’s reputation for being bad for the heart, recent epidemiologic studies haven’t found a connection; some even suggest coffee can be protective. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that healthy people 65 and over who drank four or more cups of caffeinated beverages daily (primarily coffee) had a 53 percent lower risk of heart disease than non-coffee-drinkers.

Coffee has more antioxidants per serving than blueberries do, making it the top source of antioxidants in our diets. Antioxidants help quell inflammation, which might explain coffee’s effect in inflammation-related diseases like diabetes and heart disease.

Magnesium found in coffee might help make cells more sensitive to insulin (increased insulin sensitivity results in healthier blood glucose levels).

Caffeine seems to have its own beneficial effects; the diabetes studies found that those who drank regular coffee had lower risks of the disease than decaf drinkers.

Caffeinated-coffee drinking has also been linked with reduced risk of Parkinson’s disease, gallstones, cirrhosis and liver cancer.

Bottom Line:

For most people who enjoy coffee, there’s no reason to cut back; there may even be health benefits. However, for some, exceeding one’s caffeine tolerance—which varies—can cause irritability, headache and insomnia. The temporary rise in heart rate and blood pressure could cause problems for people with heart disease, and new moms should be aware that caffeine passes into breast milk.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #396
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

Yep. Good stuff Sass. And speaking of the fiber, I put a teaspoon of Benefiber in each cup of coffee I have in the morning for some added benefit. It dissolves right away with the cream and sugar and it has no flavor so you don't know it's even there.

BTW I hit the treadmill this past thursday and rode the recumbent bike this morning so I'm working on getting back into it.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #397
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Of course, the benefits of coffee, would be reduced, I'm sure, if you add a slice of that Cappuccino Walnut Cheesecake along with it!

Good job on the treadmill, REB!
I'm having a tough time with the exercise thing ever since I got back from Denver...gained a couple of pounds
...and now it's too dark/cold for the biking...

Last edited by Sassy; 10-15-2007 at 07:57 PM..
Old 10-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #398
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

Quote:
Of course, the benefits of coffee, would be reduced, I'm sure, if you add a slice of that Cappuccino Walnut Cheesecake along with it!

Good job on the treadmill, REB!
I'm having a tough time with the exercise thing ever since I got back from Denver...gained a couple of pounds
...and now it's too dark/cold for the biking...

Walnuts are good for us
Old 10-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #399
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB View Post
Walnuts are good for us
So are they "good enough" to counteract the eggs, cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, sour cream and chocolate chips
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #400
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

Quote:
So are they "good enough" to counteract the eggs, cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, sour cream and chocolate chips

In my world yes