The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #2476
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
They are not playing the Rocky killer Jeff Kent and two other vets to give the kids some time.
This is why MLB needs to step in and eliminate the 40 man roster. Maybe expand the roster by 2-3 players for bullpen arms, but, that's it.
This has been argued for years by fans. Chitty teams should do everything they can to field their best players late in the year for the teams battling for the playoffs.
This was really evident about 10 days ago when the Cubs were pissed at the Astros for starting a couple rookie pitchers (recent callups) against the Brewers. I understood the Cubs beef then, and I still understand it to this minute.
These teams need to possess Integrity for the league and the teams that play in the league.

I understand that teams want to get their up and coming players MLB game experience, but, not at the expense of a playoff push. Do it against a non competing team or next August.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #2477
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
Well, Arizona is losing after 7, Cubs are losing, Mets are losing, and Milwaukee is losing.
Heres hoping Arizona loses, Cubs lose, Mets lose and the Brewers can come back and win. I'd much prefer the Brewers in the postseason than the Cubs.

Brewers win is a definate. We want the Brewers to stay in the division race until the last day. We need them to have to play for something when they host SD for 4. If they are out of it before then, I think they go in the tank quickly against the Pads.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #2478
Prodigal19
Seasoned Veteran

Manning is pulling for Helton

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...708129,00.html

Prodigal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #2479
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Lowe looks to be "on" tonight. Bottom is falling out on his sinker.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #2480
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
This is why MLB needs to step in and eliminate the 40 man roster. Maybe expand the roster by 2-3 players for bullpen arms, but, that's it.
This has been argued for years by fans. Chitty teams should do everything they can to field their best players late in the year for the teams battling for the playoffs.
This was really evident about 10 days ago when the Cubs were pissed at the Astros for starting a couple rookie pitchers (recent callups) against the Brewers. I understood the Cubs beef then, and I still understand it to this minute.
These teams need to possess Integrity for the league and the teams that play in the league.

I understand that teams want to get their up and coming players MLB game experience, but, not at the expense of a playoff push. Do it against a non competing team or next August.
See, I like the addition of the 40 man rosters. Maybe not extend it to 40, but like 5-10 guys. Some guys you want to see what you have with. See if that young pitcher really is as good as he was in the minors. Like I said, I have no problem with teams playing youngsters to see what they have with them, regardless of the team.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #2481
TheChamp24

The Legend

Man, Helton is LOCKED ON. Lowe has his nasty stuff it looks like though :\
Old 09-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #2482
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
See, I like the addition of the 40 man rosters. Maybe not extend it to 40, but like 5-10 guys. Some guys you want to see what you have with. See if that young pitcher really is as good as he was in the minors. Like I said, I have no problem with teams playing youngsters to see what they have with them, regardless of the team.
I hear ya. However, there is a fine line between checking out your prospects a screwing with the integrity of the game.

See if you sing the same tune if the Rox are a game behind and the Nats stop playing Ryan Church, Ronnie Belliard, Zimmerman, and Kearns against the Phils.

What's the difference between watching your top prospect during playoff push and doing it in spring training and in August?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #2483
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Mets lose! 9-6.... Thanks Nats

Last edited by phillybroncosnut; 09-26-2007 at 11:36 PM..
Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #2484
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

San Fran up 1-0 through 1 inning.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #2485
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
I hear ya. However, there is a fine line between checking out your prospects a screwing with the integrity of the game.

See if you sing the same tune if the Rox are a game behind and the Nats stop playing Ryan Church, Ronnie Belliard, Zimmerman, and Kearns against the Phils.

What's the difference between watching your top prospect during playoff push and doing it in spring training and in August?
August, the rosters aren't expanded. Spring training, you aren't always facing top competition, and it can be like the minor leagues.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 PM   #2486
TheChamp24

The Legend

Padres score 2 and lead 2-1 now
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #2487
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
August, the rosters aren't expanded. Spring training, you aren't always facing top competition, and it can be like the minor leagues.
It was a rhetorical question. I know the obvious answer but it's BS when you are playing teams in the hunt.
I might forget about the wildcard at this point and hope for the division. The Mets are atrocious right now. They just got swept at home by the Nats.

Go Phils, Go Card's (for 1 game), then go Marlins for 3 games!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 PM   #2488
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Way to go Kaz - drives in Torrealba with a 2 out single.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #2489
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Holliday gets a sneaky little grounder for an rbi single. 2-0
Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #2490
TheChamp24

The Legend

Helton almost with a RBI single up the middle, nice play by the 2B.
2-0 lead for the Rox
Giants need to come back on the Pads.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #2491
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Go Rocks! Win me some money tonight!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #2492
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

I love the Mets...but they are a complete trainwreck right now. That Bannister trade to KC is looking worse and worse each day.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 AM   #2493
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

That argument runs both ways you know.

If a team is well out of the race they've obviously not been playing very good baseball. Bringing up talented prospects creates a "lightening in a bottle" factor that contending teams have to worry about, as opposed to the generally bad players they've been using all season long. Young guys come up and have amazing outings every September, both pitchers and hitters. Its a legitimate threat to have a hot young prospect come up and just maybe shut you out or have a three homer, 7 RBI debut series against you.

In fact so far this season some of the major contenders have used the September call-ups to keep winning. The Red Sox and Yankees are two great examples. Boston has gotten to keep Ellsbury, Buchholz, and some of the other kids handy and they've really produced. The Yankees' calling up a ton of relievers has saved them some serious bullpen wear and tear down the stretch as well.

Its part of the game, and an important one. Everyone can use it, so they should. It also helps get veterans healthy so we see a higher quality playoffs with most of the big stars healthy and ready to play, which is pretty damn important for the integrity of the game itself.

Cutting it down to 5-10 wouldn't matter, teams will just play the roster shuffle and bring guys up and down as needed day after day.

Also, why would it be different if teams that were well out of the race brought them up in August? That just widens the window.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 AM   #2494
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Padres with a 7-1 lead. Rocks almost HAVE to win tonight.

2-0 after 5.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #2495
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Can it work? Absolutely. But more times it fails. It's a numbers game. Out of your 15 players added, maybe one, if you are lucky will play lights out.

The Sox and Yankees examples are due to injuries and an ineffective bullpen. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is playing a guy just to see what he has. Also, whats the benefit to the league when the Astros skip Roy Oswalt to pitch a Rookie pitcher? That's the BS that I am referring to. I find it ironic that the Stros do that against the Brewers. Why is it ironic? Because Cecil Cooper (Stros manager) and Bud Selig (Brewers owner) are really close friends. It just so happens that the Brewers are neck and neck for the division lead. Is it a conspiracy? Probably not. However, that question would never have come up if he didn't swap a Rookie for Oswalt.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #2496
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

GO ROCKIES!!!

Last edited by Sassy; 09-27-2007 at 12:24 AM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #2497
TheChamp24

The Legend

It looks like the Pads are going to win tonight. Thanks a lot Giants you freakin Bonds loving bastards!
Rockies gotta hang on and win this game. Man, it looks like the Rockies really do need to tonight and sweep the DBacks to even have a chance at the playoffs.
Hopefully the Brewers can silence the Pads and win at least 2 games, and maybe 3.
It would be great to put the DBacks out of the playoffs by sweeping them though.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 AM   #2498
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
GO ROCKIES!!!
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Coste! I'm telling him next time I talk to him.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #2499
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

As far as I can tell, you guys should have zero problem beating the Dodgers farm club tonight. No Kent, no Gonzo, No Martin, and no Furcal.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #2500
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Rockies playing pretty solid tonight. Let's add some runs and make it official!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote