The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #326
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Not at all. I had to get really fat first, before I could lose weight, so I'm sort of an expert on it. What do you want to know?
Actually I guess I'm fine with where I am now. I'd like to gain about 10 more pounds but pretty much gave up on that years back. Just can't work out much harder than I have been or am now.

Still pretty lucky in that I can eat as much as want and still drink beer on the weekends. Just not quite as chiseled as I was 20 years ago.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #327
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

Been kinda tired and fighting a sore throat this week so didn't work out as much. I did work out monday and got 3 miles in on the bike this morning.
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #328
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I'm back at it...lots of walking up and down hills in Niagara...not to mention a 12 hour hike through all the concourses of O'Hare (Unless I was drinking! !) Damn airlines! Anyway...that's another story!

Did 13 miles on the bike tonight...5 miles then a break, then another 8...in 90 degree heat with the dewpoint at 70! Yuck...anyway...
I can't seem to lose weight anyway...I must be gaining some muscle?....frustrating!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #329
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB View Post
Congrats Buff!
Thanks man ... 285 today.

The best new dinner idea is from ... Jack in the Box!

They have a side salad for $1.49 ... a terrific deal with cheese, cherry tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. Order two at that price ... and choose balsamic vinigrette dressing (use just half) and just say NO to the coutons. Get two if you must.

The chicken club salad they're advertising is a poor deal. At $5.25, it's basically just two of those side salads with some bacon bits added, and a couple smallish strips of chicken served separately.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #330
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

No Jack In The Box here.

Anyway...I lost a couple of pounds more!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #331
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

How's everyone doing
Nobody's checked in for awhile...
Old 08-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #332
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

I've slacked off the last 2 weeks. I've exercised maybe 3 days in that time. I gotta get my butt back in gear
Old 08-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #333
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Sticking with the program. Have hit a plateau at -21. 11 to go to the Dr's max range. Would like to drop 20 more.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #334
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Keep it up guys!!!
... No, I don't mean that! !
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #335
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

1 hour am water aerobics class...an hour on the bike in the AM (9) miles
...and another 8 miles on the bike tonight....see what I can do when I'm a little on the frustrated/crabby side! Grrrrrrrrrr.....
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 AM   #336
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

I got a couple miles on the bike today and did some curls.

Thursday I plan on doing a lot of 12 oz curls so I'll be good and pumped
Old 08-08-2007, 01:49 AM   #337
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
1 hour am water aerobics class...an hour on the bike in the AM (9) miles
...and another 8 miles on the bike tonight....see what I can do when I'm a little on the frustrated/crabby side! Grrrrrrrrrr.....

You just came back from seeing Hogan and your "crabby"? That's not good. But then again...

Attached Images

Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #338
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I should neg rep ya for that.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #339
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

Quote:
I should neg rep ya for that.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #340
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Beverages 101

Your simple instructions: no calories (and a little alcohol)
By The Editors of Men's Health

TNT, or Targeted Nutrition Tactics, means specific nutrition (and exercise) strategies that enable you to reach your body composition goals as fast as possible. But, what does that mean when it comes to drinking?

Answer: Stick with beverages that contain no calories. For the most part, that means water, coffee, tea, and diet soda. These are your choices because most drinks—other than those already mentioned—are packed with carbohydrates.

In addition, it's way too easy to over-consume liquid calories. And they have little impact on appetite. So skip the caloric drinks and focus on beverages for hydration. And don't forget the other valuable compounds—such as antioxidants—that they provide.

This guideline doesn't apply to protein shakes. Protein shakes are filling and reduce appetite. And every once in a while, you can add milk, kefir, and 100 percent fruit and vegetable juices to your drink list. As for alcohol, we like it, and in fact, think it's perfectly fine in moderation. We'll explain further down.

In short, simply drink as many no-calorie beverages—water, coffee, tea, and diet drinks—as you desire, and allow yourself as many as one to two alcoholic beverages per day. For more details on each, read on.

TNT-Approved Beverages

Water
Coffee
Any type of unsweetened tea
No-calorie beverages
Alcohol, in moderation
Water

As a general rule, try to drink eight to 12 ounces of water for every 2 hours you're awake. That ensures that you're well hydrated, since low-carbohydrate diets have a natural diuretic effect.

This natural diuretic effect isn't bad; it just means your body isn't retaining as much water as normal, and that you need to make sure you're providing it with plenty of incoming H2O. This is especially true if you drink caffeinated beverages—coffee, tea, diet soda—which also act as diuretics.

You muscles are 80 percent water. Even as little as a one percent decrease in body water has been shown to impair exercise performance and adversely affect recovery. And researchers in Germany found that protein synthesis occurs at a higher rate in muscle cells that are well-hydrated. Water is good; drink lots of it.

Coffee
After years of research, most health experts regard coffee as not only safe, but highly recommended. In fact, a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found no evidence of an association between heart-disease risk and coffee consumption of up to six cups per day. Plus, it's packed with disease-fighting antioxidants.

Use products such as NutraSweet, Equal, Splenda or Sweet'N Low to sweeten.

The best choice at Starbucks? A Café Americano, which is nearly carb-free. A 16-ounce grande contains just 3 grams of carbs, an amount not even worth worrying about it.

Tea

Tea is widely known for its beneficial health effects. And you can thank its high content of catechins, antioxidants that help fight cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's. Tea also helps reduce stress, according to U.K. researchers. Antioxidants in the tea may act on areas of your brain that calm your central nervous system.

Although green tea gets the most press, black and herbal teas provide similar health benefits. To get the most from any product, steep your tea for at least 3 minutes. Just as with coffee, you can use artificial sweeteners as desired.

Diet Beverages

Diet sodas and other diet drinks such as Crystal Light make our list for one reason: They have 5 or fewer calories per serving and no physiological effect on your ability to lose fat.

They also don't have any health benefits. So feel free to drink them, but in addition to the recommended amount of water, and with the knowledge that unsweetened coffee and tea are better choices.

Also, a quick word about artificial sweeteners: The majority of research on aspartame (NutraSweet), sucralose (Splenda), and saccharin (Sweet'N Low), shows them to be safe for human consumption. Yet there are some rodent studies, as well as anecdotal reports in humans, that suggest they may carry negative side effects in high amounts. What's that mean to you? Don't consume them in huge amounts!

Alcohol

In moderation, alcohol appears to improve levels of good cholesterol and has a relaxing, stress-reducing effect. Wine and hard liquor don't contain carbohydrates, and "light" beers only have a couple of grams of carbs per 12-ounce serving.

The downside is that excessive amounts of alcohol prevent your body from burning fat for energy. This effect is exacerbated when combined with carbohydrates, such as those found in regular beer or in mixers.

You can toe the line by sticking with one or two drinks—at most—per day. In fact, you'll find a glass of wine makes the perfect complement to any meal.

The Booze Rules

1. Avoid mixing alcohol with any type of fruit juice or non-diet soda, which add unnecessary calories and carbohydrates. Combined with alcohol, these can lead to fat storage.

2. Avoid regular beer. It's packed with carbohydrates. Go with a light beer that contains less than three grams of carbohydrate per serving (12 ounces).

TNT-approved Alcohol

Type of Alcohol One Drink
Wine 4 ounces
Light Beer 12 ounces
Gin 1.25 ounces
Rum 1.25 ounces
Whiskey 1.25 ounces
Vodka 1.25 ounces

Last edited by Sassy; 08-11-2007 at 02:09 PM..
Old 08-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #341
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Ugh...now I have to go work off the pizza~
Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #342
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

So, do you think a case and a half of Miller Lite in one day is to much?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #343
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Well...what does your wife think?
...unless she wants you to pass out!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #344
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

Quote:
Well...what does your wife think?
...unless she wants you to pass out!

That could be
Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #345
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
That could be
Maybe she wants to take advantage of you?
What's that...you can't rape the willing...?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #346
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
You just came back from seeing Hogan and your "crabby"? That's not good. But then again...

Beware of creepy, crawly things
Old 08-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #347
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

Old 08-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #348
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

You still drinking REB!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #349
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

I just received a family newsletter which mentioned that a distant realtive (grandson in law of my great aunt, if I understand correctly) I have never met was on the show the greatest loser. He started at 6'3" 410#. They put him on a diet and exercise regiment and in a little over 8 months he lost 178 pounds. I'd just like to get rid of this last 20.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 AM   #350
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Havent posted here before (forgot about it - didnt know it was a sticky), but my sig gives weight update. The best thing to keep me on track has been noticing how much I have to run on the tread mill to burn certain calories. This means very little junk food (licorice my fav) and no sodas with calories. Diet taste alot better than it used to years ago. I lift weights on different machines to get this flabby top firm. Went from three sets of 10 of 80 lbs to now 110 lbs since June. My goal is to be able to party like a rock star OM weekend and still look good. I might be one of those sickos and actually work out at the hotel on Sat. before going out. When I hit 800 calories burned, then that will cover the beer I will be consuming that night. Good Luck ! BTW: 197.5 again today so losing weight and adding muscle.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote